Set up a small media server in my parents living room so they can watch movies and netflix and shit

>set up a small media server in my parents living room so they can watch movies and netflix and shit
>WOW WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO MIT YOU'RE GENIUS

For what purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE

I know that feeling user. I choose to completely disregard my parents' opinions, because I'm not going to let that shit warp me. When it comes to tech, they have no idea what they're talking about, whether it's a complement or a criticism.

Actually, scratch that. If I keep at it, I'm going to become the next Bill Gates.

Well why aren't you?

Yea I get that all the time at my current job. I work in an automotive warehouse. At home I have my self built main pc, a media/print server, and encoding server. I was talking to my buddy about how my server was acting up and a co-worker overheard.

"Oh my god user why don't you go into business for yourself?! You're amazing with computers! You know my son..." at that point I just tune out, mechanically nod my head and say thank you. This happens all. The. Time.

>I can't believe my parents think I'm smart and want to believe I have a future as something other than a basement-dwelling neet.
Just break it to 'em gently, user.

They ask you that because it's obvious you still live with them and it's a nice way of saying get the fuck out and live your life.

>buy reinstall disks for windows xp
>reinstall windows xp on thinkpad
"HAVE YOU EVERY THOUGHT ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE TO GET A DEGREE IN THIS KIND OF STUFF"

Honestly, this pisses me off so fucking much. Nothing of what i do thats so "technologically advanced" to these fucking retards in my family is anything complex, its not difficult, i learned this shit when i was fucking 12, anyone can do it. But because they are inept fucks and didnt bother to actually learn how to use any kind of computer technology, even though they have owned computers for the last 20 years, im a fucking genius and should be in college learning "THE IT JOBS"

1) i dont want a job where i do tech shit, i hate doing this stuff, i just want to shitpost on XP
2) there are no jobs in most tech fields now, the wave of needing people to use these new advanced computers kinda passed away
3) i already picked what i want to do, im waiting for the housing bubble to build back up again so i can become an architect and have a real shot at getting a job, because right now there are no jobs for that field either

But i guess im just "wasting my life" when i have "all these practical skills" i could use to "get into a good college" for.
I fucking hate these people, it wasnt until i started doing this mundane shit like upgrading ram and installing ubuntu on laptops that suddenly i was the smartest person on the family.

Or even worse, is when my bosses talk about it when im talking about anything related to tech.
"Hey, did you hear intel is talking about their new 10nm processors? That should be neat to see."

>"why are you still doing this shit, you could be in college to get a good job in technology, you shouldnt be working in this factory, you're gonna end up like me... blah blah blah blah"

I like working where i do, i make 10$ an hour and suffer physically all fucking day, but i love what i get to do. I like running CNC machines, i like that i learn new shit every day, i get to do all sorts of stuff. I dont care if ill be stuck here for the rest of my life, because for right now at least, im happy with my job.

Well, to be honest, it shows some good things of you. That is, you know how to execute instructions well, some sense of trying new shit and so on.

>>"why are you still doing this shit, you could be in college to get a good job in technology, you shouldnt be working in this factory, you're gonna end up like me... blah blah blah blah"
>I like working where i do, i make 10$ an hour and suffer physically all fucking day, but i love what i get to do. I like running CNC machines, i like that i learn new shit every day, i get to do all sorts of stuff. I dont care if ill be stuck here for the rest of my life, because for right now at least, im happy with my job.
They want you to make something better out of your life because they couldn't, they've worked and suffered their whole life in this factory, and now they see this 20 year old kid who's pretty smart, but he willingly chooses to go through this hell.
Of course they will try to stop you.
But I mean, it's your choice and they should leave you alone if you made your choice.

They compliment you so you keep doing shit for them, for free.

I installed Ubuntu on my parents old XP machine and they've hated me ever since.

Shit, now I feel autistic for never noticing.

If OCW classes and exams are an accurate measure of MIT's difficulty, at least on the undergraduate level, then you would've done well enough if you're able to build a home server.

normies don't realize that there's stuff orders of magnitude more complex than installing linux on a laptop or setting up a home server. hence they also don't realize that this kind of stuff is so simple by comparison that it has no value to employers. To them everything beyond turning the machine on and double-clicking the internet button is the same level of incomprehensible wizardry. Dunning-Krueger - theydon't know what they don't know.

My dad is a retired doctor, he sure as shit would think making $10 an hour running a CNC machine is a shitty life compared to going to college and doing something better. You stupid ass "They want you to make something better out of your life because they couldn't" is a pretty big projection.

My sister glanced at a bash script I was working on once, and said I could be the next Steve Jobs.

I was on my laptop one time and my mom asked what I was doing. I told her I wrote a script that synchronized all my files between all my computers. She looks at me like I'm some kind of genius and talks about how astonishing it is that I can do this stuff.

it was literally just six rsync commands.

>normal people are normal
Normal people think that PCs run on magic.

Proprietary software may as well be magic, it's not like we can see the source code.