/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/playn/playn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for D

>305
Too soon faggot

why is unit testing is java so inconvenient?

TeamSpeak + Steam integration bot

>muh features!

First for c++ is the best language any disagreement is from wannabe programmers and is just sad

int C = 1;

if (C > C++)
puts("C is bigger");
else
puts("C++ is bigger");

>features now considered a bad thing
first for "C++ is absolutely horrible and anyone who disagrees should be shot" is an accurate representation of your opinion

What language(s) should I learn in order to develop my own cryptocurrency?

So what shitty language do you use my friend let me guess Sanjeef tier Java or maybe you are so l33t you use Python

>he thinks more features are always better
>he thinks C++ is absolutely horrible
IDIOT

Php all you need is php, php is love, php is life

Yes he is mentally handicapped and it is people like him that convince people that they can be programmers because they can learn a syntax

If you think Java Unit Testing is bad, wait till you try the Android+Java testing clusterfuck combo.

Robolectric makes it bearable but it still fucking sucks. It's kinda fun though when you write a beautiful test for a huge blackbox piece of code

I know ruby, rails, and javascript. What should I learn next?! XDDDD

>I can't read

Learn how to use a gun and then shoot yourself.

You should kill yourself because you realise that you are proud of becoming a code-monkey who can use program terribly in some meme languages that even kids can program in

>Learn how to use a gun

They're pretty much idiot proof.

I actually seriously ask though because I can't tell which languages are memes and which aren't. I just learned these so I could move out to the bay area and make six figs. Some guidance would be nice on what to learn next though. ^_^

What's popular is what's actually used in industry. What's popular is also what low-quality people on Sup Forums will call a 'meme' in an attempt to de-legitimize it.

Ruby is a trash and unscslable version of python. Use python.
Also: Java > c#

Ok you want my honest opinion if you are serious about programming learn c++ if you have time you may as well learn lisp or ocaml or rust. I mean not much job oppurtunities for that right now but it will help you grow as a programmer

I despise you so much you are advising this young new programmer to learn Java or c#...just cos you are a fuck up doesn't mean he has to be

you seem like a retarded webshit so python

>mad
>internet

html an css?

He is clearly new to programming and probably picked those languages not because he is interested in webshit but because he searches some shit ass site and saw a language he recognises(JavaScript) and then some Redditfag told him to learn Ruby on Rails.

Overall Python is a good first language. But desu more than Python if ur gonna learn a SL learn perl I mean perl is God-tier. Don't even bash perl because you have never used it, perl is life.

he wants a six figure job in the bay area, then python is what he should be learning, not perl

What age are you kid I mean I know you must be under 12 considering you are using a language that is as good as scratch. People like you destroy this industry so yes I am mad at the fact that every 50 year old mother of 5 feminazi thinks she can be the next genius programming mind because she can learn Java ffs

I just did AppAcademy, so you are correct. If there were a well respected coding bootcamp that wasn't webcentric I would have done that, but it was my foot in the door...

Learn them to what ends? Just because I will be more generally knowledgeable or because there are specific things I need to pick up that are abstracted away in ruby?

I mean I take your word for it, but what makes ruby unscalable and python not?

I can agree with that but if you got some spare time it's good to pick up a few languages that aren't really looked for in jobs just to advance your programming talent. For example a lisp or Haskell or some other functional meme.

I mean I know HTML/CSS, SQL and React too, I was just speaking to general programming languages.

I already have said job. Just started. I just want to actually become a good programmer and transition from junior web dev.

Python is just usually faster when dealing w big data, etc. Google it cuz I'm lazy. I'd recommend learning both but I like python more. After python & Ruby try Java for knowledge on OOP, from Java, c# is easy

learn java

Using c++ will advance your growth as a programmer and will make you see things in a completely different perspective than ruby. C++ is a low level procedural/templating/OOP language whilst ruby is high level level scripting language they are extremely different from one another. There are some things you simply cannot do efficiently in ruby that you can do in other languages. At the end of the day it is about learning programming theory and picking the right tool for the job that is a measure of your programming ability not just learning syntax

I have never ever seen the words Python and fast being used in the same sentence. Are you smoking crack my friend

it's being compared to ruby which is even worse

desu u dont even need 2 initialize C to anything

Yes I agree ruby is just a slower version of Python that is pointless and meaningless only edgy hipsterfags use ruby

Python is faster than Ruby which is what I mean. Both are reasonably easy languages to learn, especially as a beginner.

>Learn them to what ends? Just because I will be more generally knowledgeable or because there are specific things I need to pick up that are abstracted away in ruby?
Because despite startups paying six figures they last two paychecks because the companies go under in a month.

C/C++/Java is used at established companies that will never disappear like IBM, Microsoft, Redhat, banks, list goes on

I was gonna comment on that same thing but I cannot comprehend how he can basically ask what is the difference between Ruby and other languages. It sounds as if he believes all programming languages are the same and that pisses me off

Ruby's got to have the worst syntax out of all the scripting languages.

*cough*Php*cough*
*cough*perl*cough*
*cough*many other scripting languages*cough*

PHP's syntax is not that bad though, it feels quite natural to write even though the language is garbage itself, I've got to agree on Perl but it's a monster on its own.

so let me bring up another topic of conversation sure to liven things up

Goto statements

>statement based language
Disgusting.

What's your opinion on GNU parallel's syntax?

don't even need anything but the puts("C++ is bigger") since the initial value of C is returned before incrementing.

There is a misconception really that the only metric that differentiates languages is abstraction.

Necessary, but should only be used when there are no other alternatives.

ok guys may as well ask
What is your favourite language, ya know that one language you just feel a warmth inside while programming in

C++

faggot

kys pythonbabby

I agree
Don't listen to
He is clearly a Sanjeef tier programmer

I agree

Tfw samefag

this

kys

you're mom

Tfw one 12 year old pajeet samefag tries to insult the real programmers who don't use meme langs

KYS

actually consider ending your life

put your trip back on fag

Every post between and this post is either new or under 18

Well that was just rude ...

(And isn't necessarily new or under 18 but is definitely retarded)

is not me.

But is, isn't it?

Yes it was tripcuck kill yourself you fucking attention whoring faggot you actually think anyone gives half a mongolian shit about you you fucking dim witted punk?

Bringing this thread back on topic with a bold statement

JavaScript isn't as bad as people make out

not as bad as python but still really bad

aren't all javascript variables global by default?

Not that bold at all to b h

No, all variables declared without the 'var' qualifier are. It's a gotcha but not a huge deal because linters catch it really easily.

Clearing up who is and isn't me.

Anyways, anyone know of any resources on, say, garbage collection algorithms? Like aside from the standard mark and sweep, I'd like to see what modern research has brought us in this area.

Modern research in this area has brought us ARC

>900 millennia in mspaint
not fooling anyone, tripmelt

>I'd like to see what modern research has brought us in this area.
I hear generational GCs are cool

>Javascript is based on Scheme and V8 is really fast

>he is proud of this
kys

fucking hell, learning anything these days takes me quite some time. worse, every time I ask for advice on how to fix my own life, I quickly forget everything I was told

I should really kill myself, I'm far from the guy that used to learn everything fast. being a poor NEET and not young anymore sucks.

Has anyone used Google's PlayN game engine? I'm debating whether to use that or LibGDX.

Both are in Java, use OpenGL, and are crossplatform. Does anyone have experience with either of them?

You shouldn't try to learn too much, you'll just drag yourself down. Take breaks (like weeks if you feel like it) and don't force it.

>High and low-level drawing APIs are provided: write directly to OpenGL, use QuadBatch and our built-in shaders, use Surface for an accelerated Canvas-like API, or use the 2D scene graph
so it's meant for 2d unless you diy it with opengl? i started with libgdx and i regret it, it's better to start from scratch especially when you're learning and you don't need a game engine/framework for 2d, and crossplatform is not hard

>github.com/playn/playn
also it's using robovm which microsoft bought up and shut down so i think you'd have to come up with something else for iOS

yeah, but I really want to learn. thing is, I think that learning from books is really the best way to learn, but... they are just too slow. either that, or I simply force myself into reading chapters quickier, but I'm not used to learning/memorizing a shitload of info quickly anymore ;_;

Does anyone have the cs grad meme where they used a drop down box for all phone number options?

If I use a game engine do i avoid all the hassle of opengl/directx calls?

I really can't wrap my head around OpenGL 3.0+ and shaders and shit.

t. 54885630

you avoid them with UE4, cryengine 3 and jewnity but not really with simpler barebones engines like libgdx and playn

Programming shouldn't be about memorizing. Maybe look for a good tutorial online (it's really easy to tell quality apart from shit)? Those go way faster than books and it's easy to copy/paste and tinker with code from them

Thank you for your contributions.

Will I lose any power really if I use UE4/Cry3/jewnity? Do I have to subject myself to some mandated modeling that they accept only?

hello, im retarded.

learning C, i have been for months and occasionally pick it back up. finally getting interested in it, legitimate interest, its going great

anyways i want to know why this doesn't work. comments outline the problem i am having. basically the for loop will work for one number (1) but not for the other (0), even though i use ||. it isn't just 0 either but thats just what i want to use. you will also need to press a number, then enter, then another number for it to work as it has been for me. i don't know why, it just started acting that way after i rewrote it for simplification but i dont see why it should so that is something else if you could help me figure the fuck out would make my day

#include
int main()
{
int movies;

printf ("Ay yo Rolonda, would you like to go to the movies? Say 1 for yes, and 0 for no. There are no wrong answers. ");
scanf ("%d\n", &movies);

if (movies == 1) {
printf ("Cool, I'll holla at you gurlfrand. ");
}
else if (movies == 0) {
printf ("Aight, I'll holla at you later. ");
}
else {
printf ("O-okay.");
}

/*
the goal of the following line is to attach a single unique line of text to both the answers 1 and 0. it's purpose is to create an example using the for loop in a meaningful way. the problem is this will work for the number 1, but not for the number 0. if you add another number, such as for example 4, it will end at the else statement and also, will not work.
*/
for (movies == (0 || 1); movies == (0 || 1); movies = 2) {
printf ("Tell me if you change your mind.");
}
}

please save me, ive tried to figure it out on my own, but ive spent like eight hours just on this one fucking thing (as in whole page, ive been learning everything through trial and error, literally only thing ive done all day)

Hello retarded

thanks.

have a maki

also you should really learn opengl and shaders it seems really hard at first and it's hard to gather the relevant knowledge with all the autistic documentation and such but it's actually really easy in the end and if you use a game engine you still have to learn a lot about the engine instead of something more general purpose like shaders and graphics programming

you lose performance and you also lose a lot of ability in terms of what you can do. they're only really suitable for typical mainstream games that fit a certain mold like a first/third person shooter with standardized hit detection and physics and such and you just want to customize the storyline and aesthetics. if you want something that doesn't fit the mold you'll still have to do a ton of programming yourself and it's kinda pointless to use an engine at that point