Defense lawyer Joshua Dratel urged the judge to stick to the minimum sentence, which was 20 years

>Defense lawyer Joshua Dratel urged the judge to stick to the minimum sentence, which was 20 years.

>"20 years is greater than what's necessary," said Dratel. "If in 20 years he's released, no one will say 'That was too short.' The intent and impact are no different than any other drug case."

>Then Ross himself spoke, breaking into tears as he told the judge he was a changed man. The prosecutors had said he was driven by greed and vanity—that wasn't true, he said.

>"I'm not a greedy or vain person by nature," he said. "I wasn't raised that way. I remember clearly why I started Silk Road.

>"I wanted to empower people to be able to make choices for themselves, and have privacy and anonymity. I'm not going to say that to justify anything that happened, because it doesn't. I just want to set the record straight. I'm not a self-centered or sociopathic person. I made some very serious mistakes.

>"I do love freedom. It's been devastating to lose it. If I had one more chance before I pass on, there would be little joys, like throwing a Frisbee to a dog in a park, or Thanksgiving dinner with my family, that would mean a lot to me.

>"My nieces and nephews, I would try to share the wisdom I've gained with them. Try to help them not make the same mistakes that I made. It's in me to want to have a positive impact.

>"My attempt at Silk Road ended in ruin. If I ever get a second chance... everything I do will only have positive effects on those around me."

>Mercy wasn't forthcoming. Forrest had read all the material Ulbricht and his lawyers provided. She spent more than 100 hours considering Ulbricht's case alone. She read his arguments on "harm reduction," and went above and beyond, even rattling off a list of journal articles she'd read.

>Ulbricht had no criminal history, and submitted nearly 100 letters in support of his character were "profoundly moving," the judge said.

>None of that would matter in the end. Forrest gave him life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_TY_Sx14iUY
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/07/corrupt-silk-road-agent-pleads-guilty/
wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-creator-ross-ulbricht-sentenced-life-prison/
motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/10/silk-road-investigator-sentencing-corruption-force
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah rip

Thankfully, like a dozen people have replaced him, and the spooky dooky internet drug markets are more prolific than ever.

just trust in the system, dudebro. what could go wrong? xD xD xD

>Judge says Ulbricht’s “harm reduction” arguments are fantasies, a mark of privilege
>"There's no moral ambiguity" in what Ulbricht did, judge says.

That's what happens when you do illegal shit.

Seems like she did a ton of research and thought very hard about her decision.

I doubt she is blameless, but I would be willing to bet that there was a huge amount of pressure from the feds to throw the book at DPR.

>Make a gun
>Someone uses that gun to shoot someone
>The gun maker gets life in prison
OK

guns aren't illegal

Neither are flea markets.

That's fucking crazy. When is America going to get sane drug laws?
even more accurately:
>make a gun
>someone uses that gun to shoot themselves
>the gun maker gets life in prison

What fucked him was he paid a hitman to whack his partner out.

>In 2015, Forrest presided over a jury trial in U.S.A. v. Ulbricht, where Ross William Ulbricht was accused of running the Silk Road online drug marketplace. She ruled that emoji are permissible court evidence. During the course of the trial, Forrest was doxed on 4+Sup Forums, where her full mailing address, phone number, and Social Security number were posted on the baphomet subboard. “No drug dealer from the Bronx has ever made this argument to the court," Judge Forrest said to Ulbricht before issuing his sentence "It’s a privileged argument and it’s an argument made by one of the privileged." Forrest sentenced Ulbricht to two life terms, plus another 40 years, without the possibility of parole.

An analogy is not an argument.

OK

in the US gun manufacturers were sued for firearms used in crimes until fairly recently. of course, the judges were awarding free money to killed niggers' families and nearly ran US manufacturers into bankruptcy until a law prohibiting this was passed.

Just a dox? She deserves death

Exactly. Say what you will about drug laws, but this guy was a scumbag. He was an incompetent Pablo Escobar, not your neighborhood weed dealer.

Life in prison without parole. Damn son, not even murderers get it that bad.

The guy lost the moral high ground the moment he tried to take out hits.

The feds had insufficient evidence that this ever happened. They didn't even mention it in court.

>partner
The person he allegedly tried to kill was some guy who claimed he doxxed a ton of dealers and buyers. He was threatening to give their info to the cops and send a ton of people to prison.

> black president
> female "judge"

What could go wrong?

I would just kill myself if I got life without parole. Better than rotting in prison.

Autism at its finest

Fuck.
RIP DPR. another aaron schwartz i say.

A federal fucking judge calling others privileged what a kangaroo court.

I think I'd kill a few other people I don't like first :D Show what unreasonable decisions by the people in power lead to.

Pretty sure flea markets set up for the primary purpose of dealing in illegal goods are illegal.

analogies are implied arguments

youtube.com/watch?v=_TY_Sx14iUY
reminds me of this other guy who got life

You fags claimed another silk road would pop up but we have yet to see one.

They say he was a drug dealer and let's call their argument sound for a second.
What drug dealer that never killed/raped anyone (he still awaits trial for the hitmen) got double life plus 40 exactly?

the one who sold _____ tons of heroin, cocaine, meth, etc

He's a hacker and dealt exclusively in bitcoin.

He's being made an example of.

no point in killing yourself when robots will uproot society entirely before your sentence is up.

After the Great Happening, he will be remembered as a hero along with Snowden, Asange and that tranny I don't remember the name.

The one who facilitates thousands of other drug dealers

i'd do my best to escape. i don't like the idea of killing myself. i'd rather essentially commit suicide by cop in an escape attempt with .0001% chance of success

burn the coal, pay the toll

>>Ulbricht had no criminal history, and submitted nearly 100 letters in support of his character were "profoundly moving," the judge said.
>wow what a great guy
>he really didn't mean any harm
>minimum 20?
>nah I'll give him life

i could name 3 off the top of my head that are as profitable or more profitable than SR and operating today

This. This whole thing is to scare everyone else.

Actually it'd be more like

>Make a gun
>Sell said gun on an underground black market without complying with state and federal regulations for selling guns (background checks, etc) to buyers in countries where gun ownership is illegal
>The seller of said gun gets life in prison after said gun is used to kill 120 babies in a mass shooting.

>were "profoundly moving," the judge said.
God what a fucking bitch.

Judges don't actually do that, do they? Wouldn't that fall under "cruel and unusual"?

Didn't he try to have people assassinated?

You guys really had no idea that federal crimes and prison time had nothing to do with whether or not someone is "a nice guy"?

DPR didn't sell drugs (save for magic mushrooms one time). You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

>ITT: Defending a pussy that breaks the law, and complains that he got caught.

There are even idiots comparing him to Snowden and that leddit guy. No, fuck no, you don't get to play the "hero" card unless you fucking accept the consequences of your illegal shit. Trying to plead mitigating factors out the ass to get a lighter sentence and then bitching because the judge sees right through it (or fleeing to Russia and selling state secrets to the government,or killing oneself) just proves you're a giant pussy who doesn't believe in what they were doing.

Name it.

Yes.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/07/corrupt-silk-road-agent-pleads-guilty/

>destroy an online market that's safer for addicts than the street
>destroy a man's life for building said market
>"muh war on teh drugz!"

I hope this cunt judge dies in agonizing pain from terminal cancer.

Jesus disapproves.

>safer for addicts than the street
This is subjective, considering the fact that DPR was ordering hits on his users... and the fact that the site had a section for buying guns and ordering fucking hits I question how "safe" you think Silk Road was.

>destroy a man's life for building said market
yes that's usually how these things go. Man violates hundreds of federal laws, gets life destroyed when hes caught.

you need a war on drugs if you live in a welfare state, which we do. otherwise half the population will be subsidizing the other half's heroin addiction. you can either be idealistic and say we should have total freedom or you can be pragmatic, don't take a halfmeasure that contradicts itself idealistically and doesn't work in the real world either

>drug laws
>"federal crimes"

What's the prison term for members of the Federal government...LEOs, prosecutors, and judges...who blatantly disregard Amendment 10?

Can they get life with no parole? Because they should.

He created an online marketplace that let other people hire assassins or offer their services as paid killers, then tried to use his own service to hire an assassin and got caught.

He sold millions of dollars in drugs. He deserves everything that happened to him.

Not even memeing, not everyone accepts druggies.

I'm 54935948
I'm simply pointing out she had an obvious bone to pick with him and wanted to set an example by being as harsh as possible.

No.

>implying it's not a welfare state when the heroin addict is in prison

>They didn't even mention it in court.
Incorrect. He was not charged for the hits, but they were mentioned at trial and factored heavily into his sentencing.
Here's a direct quote from the judge at sentencing:
>I find there is ample and unambiguous evidence that [Ulbricht] commissioned five murders to protect his commercial enterprise
wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-creator-ross-ulbricht-sentenced-life-prison/

>The person he allegedly tried to kill was some guy who claimed he doxxed a ton of dealers and buyers.
He tried to have SIX people killed.

Yes they do. Judges have a lot of freedom with sentencing. If they think someone can be reformed, they can certainly be more lenient.

Yeah user. She should have just taken matters into her own hands and rewritten the law right there to protect a fucking drug lord. What a bitch...

m8, whether or not you're a "nice guy" has nothing to do with breaking the law and going to prison.

i'm not implying that. we live in a welfare state. everywhere we go, hard working people are made to pay for scum to be suffered to live. but the heroin addict (dealer in this case, which actually puts a much more direct solution to the problem) being sent to prison disincentives others to take up the habit (as i said before the dealer was sent to prison in this case. that DIRECTLY prevents drains on the system from being creates)

Yeah, six of them.

could have given him minimum sentence, which is already 20 years
but she needed to set an example because that's what she's paid for

Anybody who tries to get multiple people killed, facilites the sale of hitmen, sales drugs, and founds a site that explicitly endorses these things is a monster who deserves way worse than 20 years.

The people that he tried to get killed were trying to get a lot more people in jail for presumably long sentences. I think it's not that wrong to want to kill those that want to do you or those you care about harm.

>tried to have multiple people assassinated using a service to hire assassins he created and administered
>minimum sentence

Until very recently, I always though people were logging onto the Silkroad MMO to buy drugs. It never made any sense to me.

calm down fox news bot

Guess everyone forgot about the whole organizing a hit thing.

Sauce?

Back then this game was the shit, pretty fucking sad it got crowded by sandniggers and botters.

How can this woman sleep at night

why is that file titled Sigourney Weaver ? Is it some fancy new GNU meme ? Is that some free software advocate ?

That wasn't even part of the trial he got life for

Paypal has transferred millions of dollars of drug money.

You'll notice that Paypal is not a drug organization.

No, its very wrong. And anyone who thinks like that is abhorrent.

PayPal actively pursues and shuts down criminal accounts where they can find them and work with law enforcement to stop drug dealers. That's the exact opposite of the case here, silly goose.

Right there with ya brother

Only recently, now that they've become a legitimate financial institution offering banking and lines of credit, being subject to much higher scrutiny and regulation.

Back in the day Paypal put up with nearly everything as long as they could claim ignorance.

Okay bud.

>very wrong
>abhorent
Wow way to use some precise words there slick. If you were any more minutious you'd lose me in all that detail.

Angora?

>Ulbricht had been betrayed by his own words, and over the next several minutes, Forrest proceeded to read the most damning passages from his own logs and journals. ("It's still not clear to me why you kept a journal," she noted, an aside that apparently produced laughter in the overflow room.)

>engage in a criminal drug trafficking enterprise
>get brutally fucked by the law

He knew the risks he was taking when he did this, no sympathy.

>inb4 mad bernie voters

Ulbricht deserves death you junkie piece of shit.

This is not Sup Forums dipshit your just a fucking idiot that most likely just come to Sup Forums to ask how to be epic haxer

This privileged asshole deserves 2 life sentences + 40 years. How dare he not pay off Forrest like Goldman Sacks and JP Morgan Chase did. Thank you Obama for putting the right crook in charge!

Dude. You realize there are like hundreds right? They are literally everywhere.

kek, get a load of the authoritarian statist

what's it like needing permission to be free?

Some DEA agent stole hundreds of thousands from Ulbright and only got 6.5 years.:

motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/10/silk-road-investigator-sentencing-corruption-force

I hope somebody breaks him out.

>place bear traps with dollar notes as bait in the city
>a few jews fall for them and get their arm ripped off
>>>>it's somehow the trap maker's fault
Obviously it is, and doing that is illegal.