Mystery device

Does anyone here know what this device is? What does it do? How old is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

auction.catawiki.com/kavels/493731-ruhmkorff-klos-eind-19de-begin-20ste-eeuw
youtube.com/watch?v=3bVVEvYEC-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

It looks like a weird transformer or tunable electromagnetic vibrator. I guess 100yrs old

Some kind of transmitter for morse code with the capability of using different frequencies.

DON'T TOUCH IT
IT'S A BOMB

reported

i'm going to guess it's some sort of gauge for electricity. the more that goes through the coil, the rod is pulled further in.

I'd go with this.
The big thing looks a little bit like an adjustable capacitor.

Where did this come from?

It's a tuneable fuse from 1850.

OP here

I found it in the attic. I have actually seen one of these things on an auction once, but forgot the name. I knew I had one as well but thought it was lost.

The rod is a hollow metal pipe, it seems to go around some sort of metal foil in the center on the inside.

Looks like an old pressure gauge to me.

Looks like a variable coil / inductor.

So, an induction coil... Would it be worth anything?

Mustard gas

To the right person maybe but not much. Depends on who is buying and if there might be anything else special about it. Maybe $50.

I THINK it's a tuner off an old radio. When I built a crystal radio in the Boy Scouts the tuner looked something like that.

I could be entirely wrong, though.

variable resistor/potentiometer?

it's a field-programmable gate array

I'm not for sure, but it looks like it could be some sort of pressure gauge.

na, variable/tuning capacitors look distinctively different, using plates instead of a coil

-- also, the device in OP appears to vary by sliding a component in and out, variable capacitors are adjusted by turning a component

This.

You get a variable capacitor by varying space, distance or interstitial media between the plates.

You get a variable inductor by a moving tap (this also for varying resistors) or moving ferrite core.

it's clearly a botnet

auction.catawiki.com/kavels/493731-ruhmkorff-klos-eind-19de-begin-20ste-eeuw

"Particular demonstration unit; ' Daniel Ruhmkorff's '
This device was used in schools to the principle of the ' Ruhmkorff coil '. In original box.

After connecting a low-voltage battery a high electrical voltage on the two tubes. The tension could be arranged by shifting the coil core. Students who have maintained the tubes during the demonstration, by the bright electric shock, the functioning of the Ruhmkorff coil never forget. "

>Students who have maintained the tubes during the demonstration, by the bright electric shock, the functioning of the Ruhmkorff coil never forget.
ok

still not really sure what it does

translation poor of tension will never be forget

Here's a video

youtube.com/watch?v=3bVVEvYEC-I

I think its a thermometer. What temperature does it read?

why is electricity so noisy
first time I built a tesla coil the spark gap almost ruptured by ears
wasn't warned about that in the tutorials desu

Air expands when it gets hot.

gas stoves don't make that kind of noise
neither acetylene, welders...

Looks like a home made radio.

My uncle says pressure gauge too. My dad says some sort of fuse, or maybe some sort of hydraulic gauge. He didn't sound like he believed the last part though. He's worked as an electrician, machinist, and retired from Lockheed doing hydraulic testing. My uncle and I are machinists. None of us are very sure though.

Are you seriously comparing that with a spark or you are just mad that I didn't explain further?

TIG/MIG-MAG welding produces sparks
their might be shorter tho but still

OP here, I applied 4V DC to the connections marked B. The contact starts oscillating, but no spark between connections P and S

Again, I don't understand if you are comparing those things because you really don't understand what's going on or you are mad.

Isn't it a LVDT?

Gas doesn't heat up the air nearly as much, also it replaces most of the air. Electricity instantly turns air into plasma.

>later in the news: poor user shocks himself to death by accidentaly touching the HV end of the generator

ALLAHU AKBAR
ALLAHU AKBAR
ALLAHU AKBAR

Dont worry, im a professional

You are required to wear a tophat and a waxed moustache to operate that device.

>Sup Forums is now a pawn shop

>Sup Forums is now a pawn shop
Always was. At least it's better than /diy/'s communal diving dumpster.