Install new motherboard

>install new motherboard
>windows 10 deactivated itself
>call tech support
>they say there is nothing they can do and I have to purchase a new key

This is some grade A bullshit. At least in windows XP days if you installed a new mobo, you'd just call up tech support and you could do a phone activation. What the fuck, microsoft? Now I have to illegally activate my completely legal version of windows

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/
thewindowsclub.com/regain-free-version-windows-10-changing-computer-hardware
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's why I want to get a new motherboard before July 29th

Also just use dazloader with Windows 7, upgrade and then clean install

this

dazload win7

it's the only valid way of life

>he used win10 even once

You can get it fixed, type support in the windows 10 start menu and select then ''Contact Support''
This will connect you to a pajeet, explain the issue and they can fix it for you. I had the same thing and got it fixed this way.

howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

Google isn't complicated. I just typed "windows 10 motherboard" and got your fix.

>I'm too stupid to understand OEM licensing

pajeet was the one that told me I needed to buy a new key

Install pirated 7 @ upgrade it & get a legit key for 10. Also,
>buying windows for home

Did you only change the motherboard, or did you replace half your parts?

Just the motherboard and added 8GB of RAM

I could have sworn the EULA text just stated out right that a new motherboard is a new computer for all legal intents and purposes

And that this isn't actually a thing that's new to 10, either

Switch the ram back, get activated, and then upgrade your ram.

One part at a time unless you have a retail license.

LOL

Just install Windows 7 until Daz for 10 comes out, you blithering idiot.

next time read the tos you dumb asshole

just do it

>until Daz for 10 comes out
LOL

> having to go through all that process just to use a computer
TOP KEK WINFAGS

It was a free upgrade, not a free copy.

>LOL
>I think things that are real are funny
I like your outlook on life :^)

> free
> not Free
There's your problem

If I give you a free drink, that doesn't entitle you to free refills.

>install ubuntu

Why? Are you poor? Or greedy, faggot?

If you're given a cup and the freedom to choose to go up and get your own refill then yes
> Free != free

The upgrade is just a drink.

The retail copy is a cup.

fuck off meme

Wijfags put up with. This shit. Fuckin' lol.

thewindowsclub.com/regain-free-version-windows-10-changing-computer-hardware
>Now, according to Gabriel Aul, Vice President of Engineering for the Windows & Devices group at Microsoft, users who are facing this problem can simply contact support from within Windows 10 and explain to them what is going on.
>You can contact Customer Support after you’ve made a hardware change to regain entitlement, said Gabe.

Hang up, call again, insist to escalate.

>Not doing a clean re-install when replacing the mobo.

You are retarded.

You can completely legally activate the Windows license for your previous OS. Whether that's Windows 8 or 7, that license still works. Windows 10 license is like an OEM license. Its tied to your hardware.

If you upgrade from a Retail (transferable) licence during the qualifying period (i.e. end of July), you CAN transfer your Windows 10 licence to new hardware - it remains transferable.

You'll have to call them the (free) activation line to do it however, as the upgrade automatically grants you a (motherboard-locked) digital entitlement but doesn't (yet) know if you're upgrading from a valid copy.

If you have an OEM licence, this is correct behaviour. If you have a Retail licence, and upgraded during the qualifying period, quote them the new key (or - easier - as it's still in the qualifying period - install Windows 10 build 1511 using your Retail key, which it will accept and automatically provision a new digital entitlement for).

Source: Windows 10 EULA, §4(a) & (b). Crystal-clear, no room for misunderstanding.

What you've probably been doing in the past is you bought a cheap OEM ("System Builder") licence and you have been transferring it between computers when you upgraded your computer. That actually means you're not validly licenced. Those are the copies of Windows for normies who buy their computers with Windows on it, and therefore won't ever need to transfer. OEM licences are NOT transferable between hardware (i.e. motherboard). Retail licences are. That's why retail licences cost more. You probably wanted one of those.

Or, you know, you could use an operating system that doesn't cost money. Or pirate it. Not up to me, really.

Just use Linux

feels bad that ill lose my win 10 pro and hyper v after i upgrade to zen since the free upgrades end in july

The pajeet i spoke to just gave me a new pro key, and that was replacing every part of the computer.

You won't, if you upgraded during the qualifying period from a Retail copy.

I'll quote it here to avoid misunderstanding. Capital emphasis in this case is mine and not in the original. You might need to escalate your call however as not all the Pajeets are properly trained.

microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
>§4(b). Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (AND ALSO IF YOU UPGRADED FROM SOFTWARE YOU ACQUIRED AS STAND-ALONE SOFTWARE), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

I had a response from Microsoft Legal on this, and they simply replied with a link as above pointing me to 4(b). That seems pretty hard to misunderstand (although Pajeet might find a way).

Note that if you have an OEM ("preinstalled"/System Builder) licence, §4(a) applies instead, which as you can see says no soup for you.

The licence status hasn't actually changed. They've just been kind of unclear about it, to the point where they've repeatedly had to try to "clarify" it.

PS: I am not your lawyer. This is not legal advice for you. If you require legal advice, get your own, and don't get your legal advice from Sup Forums you idiot, double-check your shit. This is simply an user, directly quoting what the bit of the EULA Microsoft Legal linked to them, says.

The behavior between Windows Activation agents is inconsistent, and for everything but a licensing technical legal perspective (they're not going to sue single individuals over OEM copies), the terms of the license don't really matter as much as what MS agents will do.

I've had them happily without question transfer OEM installs to a new mobo when the old one took a shit and was no longer available, and I've had them refuse to activate retail keys before, even though it was a reinstall within a week to a new mobo because the original was defective (found out the LAN port was bad after loading OS + installing drivers).

im using a free upgrade from a w7 oem so im pretty fucked

Just call back pajeet at Microsoft Activation until you get a new one. Say the old mobo took a shit and was replaced with the closest possible replacement.

If all else fails, Daz loader -> upgrade to win10 on the new mobo and you'll get a new digital entitlement.

Well aware of the inconsistency, which is why I suggested escalating as not all the Pajeets give a shit.

If they ever refuse to activate a valid retail licence, their own managers said escalate and/or call back, and complain. Making noise on Twitter seemed to be effective at one point.

Oh. Yeah, you're fucked there. If you want to go legal you'll need a Windows 10 retail licence. If you're planning on sticking with Windows, you could do worse than outright buy one - if you buy a Windows 10 retail copy, you actually get a Windows 10 product key directly and that works just the same as it always did (i.e. it doesn't use digital entitlements at all).

You'd be just as fucked, legally speaking, if you'd stuck with W7 and tried to transfer that.

>>windows 10
Well there's your problem

>install new motherboard
>windows 10 deactivated itself
>google this shit
>use windows 7 key
>windows 10 activates
>op is and always will be a faggot

>legally own something
>it can be taken away at any time without your consent
The bill of rights is a joke if anything can get around it with a fucking license

microsoft have no standards at all

having to go through all that shit to activate what is a marginal product anyway

all this "cloud" crap 'azure' .. & they can't identify / activate their own customers -- why?

because they want the money

they rely on ignorance -- & ignorance means that people pay

DELETE THIS

Too late I've already acted on your previous advice and suffered burns on 80% of my body. See you in court motherfucker

> Angry over a well known and avoidable problem
> Not raising hell over the phone

Literally you can get any corporate entity to do a lot of what you want if you bitch hard enough. I've seen it and done it.

>i can't get a win7/8 iso and upgrade to 10 (lol): the thread

Why did you willfully choose Windows 10?
Install 7 or 8 and enjoy.

Joke's on you, I'm using an inactivated Windows Tan since August.

>he paid for his OS

i thought it was a meme

Lolwut? For like a decade you've just been able to talk you way through this. Are you that socially inept?

>wincucks are unironically defending this
You just can't make this shit up

OEM copies are tied to the MOBO. So, no, it is not legal.

>>install new motherboard
>>windows 10 deactivated itself
>>call tech support
>>they say there is nothing they can do and I have to purchase a new key
>This is some grade A bullshit. At least in windows XP days if you installed a new mobo, you'd just call up tech support and you could do a phone activation. What the fuck, microsoft? Now I have to illegally activate my completely legal version of windows
Exact same thing happened to me. All I did was install a new GPU. As soon as I got off the phone with Latest I downloaded an activator.

Holy shit this literally happened to me. I had to go into registry and change settings so windows couldn't connect to internet to activate. What is this fucking bullshit man?

they're just preparing you for their eventual move to "OS as a Service" that you'll have to pay $99/year for (or $179/yr with Office 365 Home Edition!)