Win 10 rage thread

Fucking bullshit.

So we upgraded some PCs at our company.All software we use was finally updated and stable and we thought that it wouldn't hurt the more powrful machines.

Now, we most likely got some kind of virus (we constantly exchange pendrives and share large database) that causes windows explorer to loop crash upon copying files from pendrives (happened on 2 separate win10 PCs) and nothing can fix that shit. sfc scannow, chkdsk, returnig PC to previous state, restarts, whatever, the only fix we've found was reinstalling windows, obviously malwarebyter, norton and kaspersky didn't pick up shit and since we had this problem with diferent pendrives and files (file types) we are sure the problem was not with those.

Now we might end up loosing our whole database because we obviously can't work like that and needto change hard drives of all out PC, flash BIOSes and probably even replace some mauss that have drivers on them because everybody got pretty paranoid now.

You wanna know the funny part? It also happened on our windows 7 PC and after crashing during copying files, windows explorer justgot back up like nothing. Everything was fine. We didn't have to reinstall windows.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Windows 10 is the worst.

Other urls found in this thread:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-explorer-crashes-when-copying-from-usb/df802e79-75ef-4e10-96ee-9d45ea1f2c66
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You fell for the winmeme

I use Arch as my main OS at home, but for the line of work I'm in there's no alternative to windows. Don't even start with the chineese CAD, we exchange files with others and they except us to use certain programs.

We just should have stayed at windows 7.

I'd suggest to try a few basic things first:
1) With gpedit disable initialization of any unsigned drivers and software on system boot;
2) Enable DEP for all software;
3) Check if bug persist under another user accounts. There might be a bug in registry for existing accounts - it tries to initialize some libraries or components as autostart while they are no longer exist on the system due to upgrade - newly created account will have clean autostart properties in registry. This is not very common, but I've seen myself this shit happens two times so far & trust me, it's easier to migrate to another account then trying to fix registry entries.
4) Check if the bug persist under safe mode.

>It also happened on our windows 7 PC and after crashing during copying files, windows explorer justgot back up like nothing.
That is because you had a previous version of corrupted files on Windows 7, but had nothing on Windows 10. sfc scannow will not help you without previous file versions or access to installation media.

And are 100% sure that the original problem was OS, but not malfunctioning pendrives or usb ports/controller on your problematic computer? Have you done any hardware diagnostics so far?

>he thinks that's a virus
>happened on 7
>happened after an upgrade
>didn't happen after a fresh install

top kek what an incompetent IT department. most likely some lowerfilter\upperfilter loaded on USB drives\devices.

>ran multiple virus scans
>ran malwarebytes
>nothing found
>I'm too dumb to know how to do anything else

holy shit how predictable

>change hard drives
>flash BIOSes

holy fucking shit I'm rolling here, you people are fucking dumb. All because some asshat installed itunes or some bullshit. If it was a rootkit it would happen after a fresh install, too, dipshit.

>And are 100% sure that the original problem was OS, but not malfunctioning pendrives or usb ports/controller on your problematic computer? Have you done any hardware diagnostics so far?
Wow, I didn't expect that kind of reply. Thank you for taking your time.

The thing is it happened on multiple computers with different files and pendrives. We didn't mass upgrade them and the specs were different, so the only thing they had in common was windows 10. As I mentioned windows 7 machine (much older than the others) also experienced explorer crash upon copying files from pendrive, but only the ones using Windows 10 were trashed.

>>didn't happen after a fresh install
It kinda did though. To fix the problem we had to use the "reset PC option" that basically does fresh windows 10 instal. And it happened in the exact same circumsnatces on the same PC once again before we got the chance to upgrade windows 10 or any drivers.

We tried scanning PCs from bootable USB (using tools like kaspersky rescue disk and whatnot) but all of them gave nothing.

Fresh install doesn't mean "reset PC option". Fresh install is where you boot to alternate media, format the HDD and reinstall.

also to clear missconception, we didn't use the upgrade option that preserves files, we did fresh windows 10 instal on all our PCs and later transfered files through external HDs.

I get you, but that was after the problem occured for the first time. Before, we did fresh windows 10 instal and used it without problems (heavy usage of pendrives) for about two months.

Here is a example of a similar crash caused by something as simple as winzip.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-explorer-crashes-when-copying-from-usb/df802e79-75ef-4e10-96ee-9d45ea1f2c66

Did you check event viewer to see faulting module?

>amd computer
>install w10
>solved the problems i had with w8
>runs faster than w8
>not a single problem
>be happy

We litaraly could only acces comand line if we got lucky enough to close the ever-restarting windows explorer (it required some skil as the process and the whole screen with it was brinking pretty fast) and we were like 3 days before gigant deadline so there was no time for anothing like that, we just did fuper fast reinstal through reset PC option, got some basic software back up and started working again, then it happened again on one machine and we just switched to using cloud service to exchange files.

Our last huge deadline is due tomorrow though so we rpobably will flash BIOS and replace harddrives because, as I mentionesd we got pretty paranoid, some people are even talking about not using mices that have drivers on them after that just to be sure.

>implying we have IT team
the company is less than 30 people

the support from ASUS/MS/random IT companies all suggested virus and wanted us to hand in the PC for datailed scans for periods as long as 2 weeks and we just can't afford that, we need those PCs runing daily or we might end up having to pay huge fines for not keeping up the deadlines

Can an user link me to that one Windows 7 .iso with the botnet removed and with all the good updates installed (without the botnet ones)?

I've decided to make the switch to Linux but I still want to dualboot for now as training wheels. Anything's better than Windows 10...

>press ctrl alt del
>open task manager
>file -> new task(run)
>eventvwr.msc

>eventvwr
doesn't it run within explorer enviroment though?

No, MMC.

Should've used Linux, you bellends.

>using linux in a business environment

Well, nobody though of checking it out, I guess we fucked up.

>Friends mothers PC updates to Win10 automatically.
>All her files are gone
>Friend calls me to ask about it
>Tell them to undo the upgrade process and her files will return then transfer her files to external storage device
>"It's still not there"
>Go around to sort it out
>They reinstalled Windows 7 from the disc and formatted the hard drive entirely
>Blames me

Any chance these computers had some kind of program installed that was modifying explorer in some way like context menus or something else?

The only issue I have had with regards to Win10 was upgrades failing and leaving me at a black screen after logging in because explorer wouldn't start. Reverting back to Win8 worked but upgrades kept failing until I realized something I installed ages ago called OldNewExplorer didn't play nice with Win10.

So some program could be causing issues with explorer causing it to crash after seeing a special file type or something along those lines. Disabling context or explorer integration might do the trick if you can find out what it is or maybe it needs upgraded.

it is a made up story you dingus

So why do you retards not use a different machine?

Are you some HS student with a job during summer and decided to brag on Sup Forums about muh IT knuwledge or are you really that fucking stupid`?

We don't have the cash to replace all out workstations and it happened on multiple PCs (on some twice after using the reset PC option and scraping all the programs. We just stopped exchanging files through pen drives for now and plan to solve it after we are done with major projects.

wish it was the case

We don't have IT guy that menages everything and people basically treated PCs like their own, eac had different set of programs installed and yet the bug occured in same circumstances (not every file copy caused the crash but once id did, it was game over, on win 10 at least). For artlantis we have just one license, same with Photoshop, Autocad runs just on two PCs for legacy files and co ops with some instalation companies. Sure we all had thing like Revit but since the bug occured on PC that was basically bare bones when it comes to crap installed on it after reseting and basically re-installing windows think the problem might be deep.

The pendrives we use were not sterile, we used them to print plans and people took them home offten so we think the problem lies there.

What kinds of shit tier podunk retard backwater shithole do you work at where the IT dept are so brain dead incompetent they let users store files on their individual machines and transfer shit around with flash drives?

we are just small architectural company, half of our team graduated 2-3 years ago
we don't have IT dept, not even IT guy

we even exchanged pen drives with interns who bring their own laptops, so yeah

and the security will change now for sure

Well it's unfortunate but normally it takes a massive clusterfuck that seriously impedes a lot of peoples ability to do work before most small businesses realize that maybe they should have a backup plan and access to good IT people.

If you can't have staff at least have good contacts. Have a proper IT budget too, don't expect problems to be solved off leftover cookie jar funds.

Is it true you can activate 10 with a windows 7 key?

Yep. Used one just last week to do that.

i was activatng few with windows 8 keys and some worked, others required installing 8 first and then upgrading, not sure why

noice, see i have windows 7 ultimate freshly installed and i want to get the free upgrade to 10 but my damn 7 key doesn't work anymore on windows 7, i guess it's been activated too much or some shit.

If you have activation issues, especially due to repeated activations in a shortish period of time, you can always call up MS and go through their phone activation. Only takes a few minutes and you just have to tell them you are not using this key on any other computer.

Fuck that. Just get the daz loader off mydigitallife.

i can never find that thing, theres like a lot of fake versions floating around out there.

i wonder if i used it if the activation would still carry over to 10 when i upgrade?

If you have a "legit" copy 10 will be "legit"

are ther really rootkits that would do that?
I mean what's the point?

Sounds like sabotage OP.

well nevermind i just entered my key and it activated for some reason.

i guess microsoft is letting it slide today.

If you were gonna reinstall Wingdangs anyway, you might as well have run ComboFix and see if that found anything.

Apparently it's a pretty powerful sort of a program that can tank your PC, but if you're going to reinstall anyway, you don't have anything to use. I've used it as a last resort three times, and all three times it's fixed the problem without any further issues.

Just found out that ComboFix doesn't run on Win10, but FRST does, and has basically replaced ComboFix when it comes to in-depth virus and malware removal on Win8.1 and Win10 (the two versions of Windows ComboFix doesn't work on).

Worth a shot, if you're not too far already into wiping everything.

Might give it a shot, thanks. Honestly I didn't know about FRST and found out that combofix indeed doesn't work on Win10.

From what I've seen, FRST is just the Win8.1/10 variant of ComboFix. Nobody wanted to bother updating ComboFix, and even the creators of the program basically said "We endorse FRST as the successors to ComboFix if you need to use it on 8.1 or 10."

I guess you are right. I'm just mad at the fact that WIndows 7 experienced minor explorer crash that restarted right away without any problems, while 10 required basically fresh install to fix the same problem. Sure the cause probably lies deeper and would require some action anyways, but if we didn't upgrade we wouldn't have to go through all this trobule, whatever caused it.

> windows 7 machine (much older than the others) also experienced explorer crash upon copying files from pendrive, but only the ones using Windows 10 were trashed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any virus. The interaction between antivirus and OS changes is untested and fraught and a common source for bootloops. You're running antivirus on Windows 10 as per ?