IRC Channels

How safe are IRC channels, Sup Forums? I'd like to join a few to pass some time, but I hear it's best to buy a small USB or the like and install Tails on it, to remain as secure as possible. Are IRC channels this bad, or do they just have a bad name?

Furthermore, are there any specific channels I should stay away from? What programs should I use? Rizon? Chatzilla? Fuck, I don't even know the names.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/hacking/comments/273s3w/how_safe_are_irc_channels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is why I hate IRC. Why does your IP address and ISP hostname have to be available for everyone to see?

Safe from what? IRC is just an oldass chat protocol. Stick with Freenode and you'll be fine. Been using IRC for almost two decades and never had any issue getting hacked if that's what you're even asking

reddit.com/r/hacking/comments/273s3w/how_safe_are_irc_channels/
tl;dr there's not much you can do without going ultra paranoid

Yep, that's what I meant. Thank you.

I'd see a professional about getting your paranoid schizophrenia treated.

Explain what risks you are attempting to mitigate with this ludicrous setup. It screams "I have no idea what I'm doing with my life."

Do you know what else is fucking ridiculous? Giving my home address to Amazon so they can send my packages to me.

Someone is mad

That's not the same thing, idiot

It's exactly the same thing.

>what is a vhost

Summer is here

Does Sup Forums have a channel?

Yeah, no. Jumping through hoops to ask a moderator who's not even online? Fuck that.

something that takes too much fucking effort

god i hate IRC

Yes, but you're not cool enough to join

/csg/ has one

is there any way to hide my ip? or at least to trick the irc server

yes but i idled in there for a couple days and no one ever said anything

>is there any way to do this thing that's a solved problem with at least 10 different ways to do it that people have been doing for a quarter of a century

Well it opens you up to ddos and a social engineering attack vector using your host name(have seen this done in person). I've never had a problem with my home IP personally. I keep a free digital ocean vps with a free .tk domain to ssh->irssi and torrent with though. Could also use a free proxy, almost no bandwidth needed for irc. Vpn. Etc. I wish more people would use irc, I personally love it. So comfy, good communities. They're like fast /generals/ sometimes.

>What programs should I use? Rizon? Chatzilla? Fuck, I don't even know the names.
hello nu/g/

>So comfy, good communities.
>good communities
it's not derogatorily referred to as multiplayer notepad for no reason, you know

Obviously completely dependent on the channel. I concede that most of the time it's idle comfily

Sounds right

>Well it opens you up to ddos and a social engineering attack vector using your host name(have seen this done in person).
the FUCK does this even mean

>i have your ip so i can ddos you
idiot

>social engineering attack vector
>GIVE ME YOUR PASSWORD, PRESS ALT+F4
do you know what the fuck you're talking about

It depends, what are you worried about?

If you're just hanging on #linux or #python or on some gaming guild or something, literally nothing will happen.

If you're worried about everyone seeing your IP, set a fucking mask before you join the channel.

If you're worried about the admins seeing your IP, it's exactly the same way the web works, use a vpn if you're that paranoid.

If you're worried about someone tracking you down, don't post personally identifiable information or reuse nicks, same as any forum.

It's really not that complicated. If anything, IRC benefits from obscurity and unless you join some skiddie group or warez group or something, you're fine.

>Why does your IP address and ISP hostname have to be available for everyone to see?

It doesn't, set mask newfag

you're obviously not talking about
#installgentoo

dont come to irc.installgentoo.com #installgentoo
you're not welcome

Most Us ISPs have completely incompetent reps. I have gotten them to let me join.me into their machines and I have gotten their credentials. Basically you can call in and get full dox from an account if you have any piece of info from it

>intense guttural reaction to your analog of online privacy to mental disorder
>long form post about why privacy is dead, and how you're a tremendous faggot

here's a gif that's not animated

you're literally 13

1. you didn't answer for the stupid bullshit i called you out on
2. you're doubling-down on the bullshit and are talking like a juvenile skiddie

man DUDE i can hack FACEBOOK they run on PHP it's so EASY watch the fuck OUT LOL

What the fuck are you doing on irc? Are you really that anal about getting tech support for your i3 config?

depends on the server, retardo

Does anyone even use irc without at least using screen on a shell host anymore?

> (You)
>>Well it opens you up to ddos and a social engineering attack vector using your host name(have seen this done in person).
>the FUCK does this even mean
Call isp, pull up customer account?

>>i have your ip so i can ddos you
>idiot

What am I dodging here?

So you're saying a cheap booter isn't enough for a home internet connection? I guess it's only a little inconvenient
>>social engineering attack vector
>>GIVE ME YOUR PASSWORD, PRESS ALT+F4
>do you know what the fuck you're talking about
I meant through the ISP like I said in the second post.

well you just admitted that IRC is fucking stupid, everything about that protocol is hacks

>Call isp, pull up customer account?

>i'm going to pull up a customer account with an ip
gl

>What am I dodging here?
you can't ddos someone with an ip alone you idiot skiddie

s u m m e r

imagine a pc that's not running a webserver; no 80, no 443, only 22 is open for ssh

explain how you ddos this box with the ip

awaiting your skiddie expertise

You are clearly not as smart as you think. Social engineering ISPs is easy, I do it at least once a week. Works every time.

Not him, but you definitely didn't just call him a skid and then post this. Idiot.

yea irc is insecure.basically what it stands for is "internet recollection catalogue". All your information is stored on the catalogue once you enter it, it's too late kid. I now know your ip address, your wow guild name and your favourite t shirt. prepare to get hacked kid.

>You are clearly not as smart as you think. Social engineering ISPs is easy, I do it at least once a week. Works every time.
i love making shit up about my life in the middle of the night too

>Not him, but you definitely didn't just call him a skid and then post this. Idiot.
the hacker-extraordinaire is frustrated by a simple challenge
honestly if you can't explain the mechanics of a ddos you should just leave

Idk shit about the details but when I type my IP into a booter from my phone my modem won't connect until I turn off the packets

i love packets

>Social engineering ISPs is easy, I do it at least once a week.

Why? Do you do this for a living or something?

Anyone talk to MarshviperX lately?

yeah

mainly for teh lulz. I've become quite a skilled hacker. You just need to keep practising.

*social engineers ur isp*

heh... thanks for the credit card dude!!!

I don't get all the anger and memes. I'm not a hacker or a skid, although I like to read articles and lurk skid forums. The fact is a booter can boot you with just your IP, and you info is relatively easy to get out of time Warner or Comcast. Can we just have a cute little irc thread now, didn't mean to derail

fine, peace out my nigga

>spreading propaganda

Create a linux vps for $5 a mo on digital ocean or linode etc.

ssh into your vps

Install irssi

Connect to irc server and your shit will look like
123.456.789.13@digitaloceanfags or some shit like that. Your real ip will not be shown.

That's literally all you have to do to keep you personal ip and isp provider name from being visible in irc. Now if you plan on doing weird fucked up shit, remember that the vps will be traceable back to you by the powers that be via the credit card you used and the ip you connect to the vps with. So this is not a solution for being anonymous. This is just an easy solution for keeping your personal ip and isp info private from irc fags and scriptkiddies etc who might try to somehow mess with you if they are able to dox you.

The dispute was resolved in a rather chivalrous manner my good niggas

I more or less said the same thing above. After you register for digital ocean use "activate10" promo code and you'll get $10 for free when you put your cc on. Thats enough for two months of a proxy/seedbox with 1tb transfer. Then you can refer a second account on a different IP or cc and spend $15 plus the $10 voucher and your first account will get another $25.

I love digitalocean. Btw as long as you don't get any copyright emails you can torrent to your heart's content. I got two one night catching up on GOT and I just said lol I forgot to set a password I got hacked and they let me keep my server. They even have a built in vnc thing you can use through your browser