Is ReactOS Worth It?

After reading about Win10's datamining, I've been looking into alternatives. Has anyone here had experience with ReactOS? Was it what you expected?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hJTL8srScQI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you have Windows XP era driver it's a solution

I played around with it a little bit, to see if I could run some stuff we use at work on it instead of continuing with a now-unsupported Windows XP. (Boss is being cheap and won't spring for a newer OS on existing machines, never mind new machines.)

Some of the prerequisites (.NET and/or some other framework) refuse to install because, as far as it can tell, Automatic Updates aren't turned on. If ReactOS can more convincingly tell software running on it A) that it's Windows, and B) things like those update and security settings are what they need, it'll start to be a little more useful. But until then, either live with Windows or use Linux.

That's unfortunate to hear, are there any tips for blocking the data mining in 10? Like some list of M$ servers that can be blocked via hosts?

From what I've heard, the datamining features ignore the hosts file so you'd need to block that via some other method, such as at the router.

You'll have Wine OS with no Linux programs.

Its alpha 0.4 version now. You seriously think you can use such early version as your everyday OS?

Every time i've used it it hangs or has a serious display bug. Pretty much what I expected from free software.

Weren't it suppose to enter beta now?

Linux + Windows in seamless mode.
This is 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=hJTL8srScQI

It can play skyrim right now. Not perfect, but getting there.

I want the a bright future where I don't have to rely on windows.

The point is, that this OS is still in very early and unstable state, after long time of development.

Cool, if you want to play a bit, definietly not for everyday, normal use.

And no matter if you like to play with that or another OS, you still need one that will WORK. Because you wont say to your boss "sorry, my OS fried itself again, but they will fix it soon in next version".

That depends on what windows 10 version you get. There was an update that caused the datamining to ignore the hosts file, If you get the first RTM build and disable windows update service, you can use the hosts file as normal.

What's the current status of the POSready 2009 registry hack? It should receive security updates until 2019.

Is it built with React JS?

>any tips for blocking the data mining in 10?
Block everything at hardware level and then create exceptions for IPs you deem safe to access. That's really the only way because Microsoft has hundreds and along with its partners probably thousands of IPs to access your system. There is no list of all of them, and even if there were, new ones would pop up all the time.

Any shop/business that considers ReactOS, Wine, desktop Linux even, to carry out its IS jobs can hardly be a real business at all, maybe some playground.
I envy you guys if you're employed and get paid in such place.

well, the finebros won't be happy

ReactOS has been in development for 20 years now and it mostly doesn't boot on any real hardware

Majority of the manpower is spent on shilling and self-fellating ("hey look, we got wine running in VirtualBox!") and re-writing miscellaneous Windows software like notepad from scratch

And it's main advantage over Linux is supposed to be hardware support

It's a vaporware and people who develop it have no idea what they're doing, only reason why it didn't fade into obscurity is constant shilling

Not impressive, I could do that with Wine when Skyrim came out without any bugs or performance issues.

this ReactOS is like the lowest tier experimenting area of spin doctors in OSS

What browser should I use for ReactOS? I saw some people suggesting Opera 9.64 but even that won't install

Use POSready m8

Whats the point if new games are going to be Directx12 only, which is exclusive to Windows 10?

Why would they use Directx12, when Vulkan has had a better showing out of the gate, runs on all versions of Windows, and is one less thing to have to write if porting to Linux or OSX?

it's a VM os, so it's fucking useless.

ReactOS has been in alpha stadium since 1997. It doesn't run on any hardware. It's riddled with bugs. It's unfinished wherever you look. It's a Frankenstein between Windows 95 and Windows XP. It's full of glitches.

> Is it worth it

>muh gaymes

>Skyrim
>without any bugs
Stop lying.

It's more of an experimental ground for Wine than a proper OS though

ReactOS is a proper freestanding OS. Wine doesn't exist for the purpose of ReactOS.

Not really. While there's heavy exchange going on between the two projects, ReactOS is not just Wine, to as Wine will never achieve the driver compatibility that ReactOS aims to deliver. ReactOS is written completely from scratch and has its own (NT) kernel, libraries, interface, etc.

He meant that he could run Skyrim without any bugs from Wine. Skyrim bugs are not Wine's responsibility.

ReactOS exists (or more precisely, is surviving) for the purpose of Wine though.

No, this is just plain wrong.

No it does not. If ReactOS died today, the Wine project would not care at all. This is because Wine and ReactOS are not related projects. That's like saying Chrome is a related project of KDE Konqueror and this is plainly false.

Chrome doesn't have anything to do with Konqueror though.

ReactOS aims to achieve binary compatibility with Windows XP and therefore to deliver a free, open-source OS that can run Windows software and drivers and can function as a complete replacement to MS Windows. It's a Windows clone. Some byproducts of the project are the code exchange with the Wine project which enables Windows applications to run in a UNIX environment and the most complete documentation of (core) Windows API's & Layers.

*The Wine project enables Windows applications to run in UNIX environments, not the code exchange with the ReactOS project.

Should have used ,,,

It actually does

Blink stems from webkit but doesn't actually contribute back

But if there was no Wine, ReactOS would've been long abandoned by now

Wasn't there source code of the Windows on the Internet several years ago?
Why they can't use it?

>several years ago
Still is
>Why can't they use it?
Isn't ReactOS partially based on Wine? I'm pretty sure Wine used the source code leaks

That would be copyright infringement. ReactOS can only make use of open source code and those Windows source leark are not open source You are confused if you believe "open source" means "I can see the source code".

> if you believe "open source" means "I can see the source code".
I don't.
I simply don't understand why it isn't possible to reobfuscate the code and present it as original code.

This.

To a business goy like me, programming is nothing but a bunch of sentences. 7 billion people in the world, and you think someone else can't come up with those same sentences?

Morality is what stops the team. They are so serious about copyright infringement that development progress was halted in the past in order to do a full source code audit over the project. They will do another full code audit if they receive credible evidence that there is more copyright infringement.

what if two guys write almost the same source code, and one of them copyrighted it first.
is that mean the other guy can't have rights on his code?

Then either both get copyright, or it's considered common course and the copyright is either discarded or the second person gets impunity.

Then they both own the copyright on their code as long as they can prove it.

just use xp you faggot

>XP
No, use POSReady 2009