Abandoning windows

i think im done with windows. linux here i come

whats the best looking, or the most aesthetic focused distro for linux? i think the AUR has the most software so i guess arch based is where ill go to.

also is there any way to move all of my data from windows to linux? firefox stuff, images, text files, music, anime, movies, etc?

>pic unrelated, just current pape

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FcOaLk-Qekc.
youtu.be/ZXiBGXGbz7g.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you want aur and good looking, go manjaro.
But almost any DE can be installed on any distro.
You can have KDE on Manjaro, or XFCE or even unity if you like how Ubuntu looks.

Firefox should sync across accounts of something, or you can move everything via Usb.

Try dual booting first so you can still run Windows at the same time, and just move everything across the hard drive.

so i could run an arch based distro with unity? i like how it looks but hopefully i can change the colors.

i forgot about firefox sync, the main issue is how i would move my data across the O/Ss, how would i do that if i dualboot exactly?

AUR is a user repository. It's not reliable and has a lot of rubbish in it so it's not as if you want to go to AUR all the time. Choosing a distro based on the raw amount of software alone is foolishness considering you're only ever going to use but a tiny fraction of all software available. All the important stuff is available on any major platform anyway.

If you want to use a pacman-based distro, use parabola or arch. Anything else is crap

As an arch user, don't run arch first. The memes are totally wrong, I spend 3 minutes a week updating my computer and the last time I had an actual issue was more than 6 months ago, even accounting for the fact that I'm on experimental hardware. I think Arch is a pretty zen final resting distro, but the setup and cozying process is harder. You should use a more "friendly" distro at first so you can get familiar with what you want out Linux (eos, mint, ubuntu) and once you know what you want and like, you can use Arch to get yourself exactly that and nothing else.

Don't go for Arch if you are just starting.
Either go for Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint, or use Manjaro or Devuan.

Arch is a DIY distro. Start with manjaro/antergos instead.

You don't cook unless you know cooking. Until then buy fastfood

>arch based distro with unity
>hopefully i can change the colors.
Yeah

But seriously dude you should prepare yourself before upgrading to Linux, NOT user/beginner friendly. At least not Arch

What book is that from?

>You don't cook unless you know cooking. Until then buy fastfood
Logical fallacy.

When you don't know how to cook, you rely on those who do. Just because you've learned to cook doesn't mean you're a better cook than a zillion other people who know how to cook.

Reminder that Archfags unironically believe it's an 1337 distro and you graduate to it from other Linux-based systems. The idea is complete nonsense of course.

How come no one ever recommends antergos for arch based distro?

I'ts miles better than Manjaro cancer

I primarily use linux, ubuntu because new fag still, but I always come back to windows because I play WoW (I know faggotry) and I cannot get it to work on linux. it seems to be some issue with .net framework as far as I can tell. It makes me sad If WoW would work like it used to before the battlenet launcher I would be so much happier.

As far as desktop environments go, KDE is by far the best looking one out of the box. There are other highly customizable DEs which you can try. Take a look at Gnome for example: youtu.be/FcOaLk-Qekc. Cinnamon is a great DE too and version 3 just got released. Take a look: youtu.be/ZXiBGXGbz7g. The distro I would recommend is Antergos. Good luck!

Because it's still relatively obscure compared to Manjaro.

I swore by Crunchbang and once the guy running it shut it down I knew I was done with hobby distros.

If you want arch with a slightly easier installation, try architect. Or you can go with antergos (which is vanilla arch with a extra repo.)

But i would recommend xubuntu or mint at a beginner.

KDE - seriously don't make me puke. Since I didn't use it for a long time I decided to give it a shot again with the latest version, and... It's still absolutely awful. The only decent DE is Pantheon and that's an OSX clone and it only works well with Elementary. It's hopeless really you have to deal with shit UI.

Alright we'll see you back in a couple hours!

I'd like to throw an extra opinion in. I'm using Debian Stable with Gnome 3 as my DE for maximum stability and prettiness.
If new packages are your thing then perhaps try the testing branch instead, but the distro uses apt instead of AUR.
Almost everything I want is on apt, and for anything that isn't there's usually a .deb file I can just install with dpkg.
Nice easy install too if you're not afraid of using the keyboard to select things. No typing required (other than for hostname and passwords) until you get in to your DE.

Im currently dual booting win 7 (for games) and xubuntu. Everything in Xubuntu just works, its a great starting point for linux. Even setting up my network printer was way easier than windows, would recomend. Its so satisfying to just install software from the command line. I needed putty for something so i type sudo apt-get install putty and bam its there ready to use, makes wangblows feel like some ancient legacy software.

If you want to use an Arch-based distro, go for Arch itself. You won't learn anything from an installer, but you will learn from manually typing in commands. Do not use any guides — instead, use the Wiki. Many people say it is an "advanced" distro, but it is only so because there is so much flexibility. In reality I've had an easier time with it than using Debian unstable.

I have my system dual-booted, even though I never use Windows anymore. I symbolicly linked the directories from my Windows partition to Linux so that when they change in Windows they also change in Linux.
I personally use i3wm, so I'd recommend i3-gaps for the most aesthetic DE. I don't use it personally because it wastes space, but it looks nice.

>I'd recommend i3-gaps for the most aesthetic DE
bspwm with dynamic borders script or dwm are much better in terms of ricing potential

>recommending a tiling WM and arch to a complete beginner

In all due respect, I don't agree. Pantheon is still not a mature DE in my opinion and you can make Gnome and Cinnamon look great with a couple of themes and icon packs. As far as KDE goes, it's customizable, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I suggest you to start with ubuntu.
Get the 16.04LTS version.
It's very user friendly for beginners.

Don't start with Arch. It is for people who are persistent and can read manuals. For someone who has used primarly Windows and just started, I would recommand either Ubuntu-flavored distro(Ubuntu, Xubuntu, mint, Elementary, etc.), Debian, Fedora (well depends) or OpenSuse Tumbeweed

Lubuntu,xubuntu, mint or mate

>beginners to linux
>always want to use arch

Well if you guys would stop acting like it's the 1337est distro ever or really hard and that it's the best linux because of the initial install maybe they wouldn't want to.

Arch Linux isn't bad but it requires manual intervention for newer software which is why alot of the "power users" flock to it. Sadly because it doesn't have an installer and has to be manually invoked it attracts a lot of elitists.