Hard Drive Date Erasure

How many times must a hard drive be overwritten to make sure my girlfriends nudes and my fiction manuscripts can't be recovered by even the NSA?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method
youtu.be/LG_AV0TGoow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

They already have all of them user. There's nothing you can do

I just want them unrecoverable from this laptop it runs Windows 8.1

Just one pass is enough to stop normal people from recovering anything. 3 passes to prevent the feds from recovering data.

Actually even with just 1 pass the feds have trouble recovering data.

Make sure to boot dban to wipe the drive. Never use a "wiping" program while winblows is running.

Laptop drives are made of glass or ceramic, you can break them into thousands of tiny pieces just by dropping them accidentally.

>normal people from recovering anything
Actually 1 pass is nothing for the software you can freely download with just a google search.

Go head, nuke a hard drive with dban with 1-pass. Try recovering shit from it with recuva or other recovery programs, dumbass.

Is dban overwrite any more effective than ccleaner drive wiper?

Dban yeah, but people where talking about simple overwrite here, dumbass.

see dban boots like windows, once you run it there OS installed withing that drive will be destroyed.

You can do that with dban you dumb fuck. It lets you choose from 1-pass up to the voodo guttman method

Holy shit people are autistic, nobody was talking about dban when it was posted that one overwrite is enough. The CCleaner overwrite won't do shit with one pass, we didn't talk about dban.

Yes but I'm trying to sell computer I need the os still on it

shut the fuck up

Then you'll have to risk people recovering information off the laptop. You can do a 1-pass with ccleaner but there is a huge risk it the OS has stored info about you somewhere. This is Windows we are talking about, an OS known to collect user info without their consent.

>shut the fuck up
Glad to see you noticed your mistake, kek.

What do you want to recover after a "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda"?
The possibilityis near to zero, even if you only want to recover a single file. The NSA can't break the laws of physic.

Is there a DBAN for SSD?

>Sup Forums technology

The only way to securely erase a drive is with a magnet, user.

You can overwrite it like 3 times and afterwards you have to set your bet on trim.

Ever heard of oxidizing acids?

Was that... satire or something? because it was fucking retarded

open up the drive, take out the disks, attach to angle grinder, grind into dust against kerb or some hard stone

normie, get out

Blancco

I forgot to mention that the magnet has to be very powerful, otherwise there's SOME possibility of having some flipped bits left over.

This is so not true. An electron microscope can recover data in the tracks, however, it's ludicrously expensive so it wouldn't be used for something as shitty as OP's ugly girlfriend.

Thanks

Try it and post your results.

Linux live cd and shred command 2 pass of random and a blanking phase is all you need.

If the pictures of OPs ugly girlfriend have a size of 8 bit, maybe. Otherwise no.

Yes, it's called Debra's Boot And Nuke

You can't. Because of the quantum nature of the universe all data created can never be destroyed, unless in a black hole via hawking radiation.

Technically once but if you're truly paranoid download DBAN and use the DoD option.

/Thread

But really.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

I use it often myself as well as have tested it's results without ever recovering any files, or even note of files. (Some partition file systems supposably leave traces of index in the master file table buy iv never seen actual evidence of it myself.

With an electron microscope you can recover a few bits. With each bit the probability of discovering an additional valid bit decreases exponentially.

As other guys posted, you WANT to wipe the operating system. Just make sure to get the windows product key first. Then wipe with a live CD/USB like others pointed out. Then fresh reinstall of the OS.

Personally, I just swap out the drives for brand new ones and keep the old drives for myself. Then I wipe them and store them for later use.

No user, magnetic glue and a flat press and restore the drives if they collect even just some of the dust.

Yes but that file fragmentation tho

video related
youtu.be/LG_AV0TGoow

How can the feds recover anything from the drive when all bits have been zeroed?..

Matter can change its shape... And physics has little to no application in this discussion. The bits still exist but they are being changed.

Actually, what the hell are you even talking about? Did I just get baited or are you retarded? ...Am I retarded?

Yea, so impossible.