Tfw "professional" developers and computer scientists who buy Dell PCs instead of building a SICK RIG

>tfw "professional" developers and computer scientists who buy Dell PCs instead of building a SICK RIG
Maybe you should flip burgers instead.

do you really want more job competition?

You don't need a SICK RIG to program. A lot of the guys who are in development are over the allure of such things. In some ways having a SICK RIG BRO actually hinders your ability to get work done because you will spend time tinkering with it instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Also many expensive workstation PCs are quite formidable and can beat your SICK FUGGIN RIG in many benchmarks and end up costing less if you get them on the secondhand market.

>programming
why would you need some sick rig?

aaaand here's the NEET, coming in all the way from plebbit

>because you will spend time tinkering with it instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing
you mean the 30 minutes it takes to put together?

Because:
>buy high end "workstation" from Dell
>comes with 3 year on site warranty with an SLA
>costs $8k
>one day it shits itself, can't do any work
>ring Dell business support
>identical machine delivered to my office 4 hours later
>swap disks over and continue working

>convince boss to let me build a mememachine
>"warranty" is spread across multiple resellers and vendors, no SLA from any of them
>costs $5k
>one day it shits itself, can't do any work
>have to spend unknown about of time diagnosing problem
>ring the vendor/reseller to organise a replacement
>they want the broken part sent in
>2 weeks later, vendor replys saying it is indeed broken so they've dispatched a refurbished unit
>eta 1-5 working days
>already fired

>rig

This is the only employed poster here. Build machines for gaming, let other people handle the headaches for work.

>identical machine delivered to my office 4 hours later
>4 hours later

you fucking serious nigger?

I don't think you'll ever see a fucking stock PC work have something like a GTX 980 or something along with like an i7 6700. So I really doubt that they will beat normal high end custom PC's in benchmarks.

>Pic not related

>already fired

tHE MEMES. MY SIDES HURT

not that guy, but dell is actually famous for this.

>"professional" developers who build SICK RIGs
Embarrassing.

Still programming on an old shitty x201 thinkpad, still runs solid, this shit can do 15000+ particle simulations at >300fps which is pretty surprising.

When your program is slow it isn't because you have a shitty Dell instead of a SICK RIG, it's because you're an incompetent programmer.

AYYYYY LMA-wow SUCH :JOYFUL_TEARS:

Yeah i noticed almost all companies use either apple or dell

When they what?

>tfw you bought a Dell XPS 13 instead of building your own ultrabook

why the fuck would you need a 980 outside of gaymen

/thread

Dell sells perfectly competent rigs.

wome

My Dell from 2013 holds up well
i7 4770
12 GiB RAM
GTX 660

I added in a couple of ssds in raid0 and it's still almost as fast as my alienware laptop

>I don't think you'll ever see a fucking stock PC work have something like a GTX 980 or something along with like an i7 6700.

no professional builds a "sick rig" retard

Yes and the standard package is 24 hours.
I live in the middle of nowhere. My Dell company workstation failed. A guy showed up within 12 hours and fixed it.

but Sup Forums says "only retards buy prebuilds" and "if you're not fucking retarted u will build ur own"

So what is it?

you build a sensible cost effective computer not a "sick rig" take your slang and fuck off

fleek sounds like another word for stabbing someone

Sup Forums says that, they just happen to shitpost here.

Pretty much every programmer I know uses a laptop these days. Rigs are for gaymen.

Developers shouldn't be allowed to use high end hardware desu.

If I ran a firm nobody would be writing on anything more powerful than an Atom processor with a gig of RAM.

Powerful hardware is a handicap that enables people to write harmful software.

Kek

ya sure knee cap those of us with powerful machines

Fucking exactly

>No Energy Star
Fucking dropped!

it's the same reason why shit in the military costs so much

they aren't paying for just that item they're paying for the item and 24/7 support for the time they use it

Can confirm, I'm a DELL warranty repair agent. We do have a 4 hour turn around for certain workstations or contracts.
We stock the parts at a UPS sonic location, so we can literally go pickup if its close enough, or have a hand courier drop them off, within 4 hours. The 4 hour turn around almost exclusively for high performance machines like rendering workstations and DELL blade servers.

Computers meant for productivity and pleasure have different requirements.

Surprising, right?

Are you retarded?

Something that runs better on a toaster will run even better on your autism rig. How on earth is that kneecapping you?

If you're a poor student/neet with limited money and/or your rig is only used for entertainment and gaming it makes sense to build your own.

Professional developers and computer scientists don't fall into that category. They can buy whatever they want.

47 thousand dollars

Seems reasonable

1 TiB of DDR4 ECC RAM

It's absolutely reasonable, dual Xeon E5-2667, 1.2 TB PCIe SSD 1 whole Terabyte of ECC RAM legit hardware RAID card, 10GbE network card backed by crazy ass warranty.

>1TB of memory.
What the wtf

>What the what the fuck
Are you having problems?