Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums,

What laptop would you recommend for someone about to go for a compsci degree? Is there a lot of note-taking involved where a Surface-type device would be a benefit? What processor range would you recommend?

LITTLE

Chromebook, it's low power with high battery life for the lowest price

Would snuggle her chest /10

>computer science degree
>surface
>tablet
>windows
>touchscreen

jesus christ can we please do something about summerfags

but what about his compile times and shit screen

>low battery life
>because literally nothing runs on it

Idk, he could rent a loonix server and do cloud based shit

>not using a touchscreen with superior pen for taking notes
yes, we should really do something about these summerfags

>pen for taking notes
how fucking slow do you type?

Thunkpad.

Asus t100ta

>What laptop would you recommend for someone about to go for a compsci degree?
People who go to school for a degree in CS don't require special laptops.

1) What does your CS department recommend?
2) What does the College of Engineering (or where ever your CS dept. is located) recommend?
3) Does your University have any special discounts from certain manufacturers? Or do they have any recommendations?

Again, undergrad CS students don't need special/high-powered hardware. So don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money on a laptop.

Went too school for ee. Just graduated.

Had friends that used a surface pro. Definitely recommend.

However pen and paper also work very well for notes and cost about $3.

Nice fetal alcohol syndrome bitch

I bet you're a slut too

>for cs
Get anything very basic, like an used ThinkPad off of eBay for

maximum comf--
>microsoft windows
absolutely haram.

>that search bar

>found the autist

Where's the clitoris?

I studied a social sciences degree and CS in my undergrad (separate programs, not some weird new age CS+X thing) and I'm in a PhD program now for CS.

I know of 1 or 2 people who like writing on digital formats, but on the whole it's a bit gimmicky. Your instructors should be making notes available to you, so transcription should just be about reinforcement, not actual retainment. There's more value in writing those notes on paper (or at least the value on digital devices doesn't outweigh the value you get for pen and paper, cost considered).

I only needed computing power that my laptop couldn't provide in 2 or 3 instances during my undergrad, and in all cases computer clusters were made available to me. If your university doesn't have access to that sort of stuff and they ask you to do that, ask for reimbursement for AWS (EC2) or something. So don't worry about processing power unless you're thinking of using a Raspberry Pi.

With that out of the way, focus on getting a computer with:
- a good screen (you'll probably be reading a lot)
- a good keyboard (you'll probably be writing/coding a bit)
- a good battery (you'll probably want to avoid schlepping around with a charger every day, if you can avoid it, or at least get through a long lecture/study session without necessarily needing to find an outlet).

Generally, the middle point between these things is a rMBP (13" or 15", whichever you prefer). a Thinkpad is probably fine too, if you install a linux distribution in place of whatever it comes with. In either case, even if you realize you're caught without a charger, there should be someone who can let you use theirs for a bit.

I'm doing cs, i have a thinkpad x250 dual booting ubuntu and windows. You dont need anything special or powerful, just good Linux support is an advantage. Take notes with a fucking pencil and paper.

Pen and paper works better than any other meme for notes

Most shit from this decade should be able to run whatever you need, eg. Packet tracer, an IDE, whatever bs math program your school uses.

I'd look for something with a decent amount of RAM just in case you need to do some VMs.

Depends on your coursework really.

wow thats impressive good for you

question, how many times have you been laid?

fuckin faggot nerd

And by "making notes available to you" I mean that their slides should be available online, or you should be getting something like an outline or whatever.

Pretty much what this guy says.

If you are doing a CS degree you pretty much just need a glorified word processor.

It doesn't need to be overly beefy as pretty much all modern machines will be able to compile and execute your code projects for class and if not, then your university will typically provide suitably powerful desktops to do the job.

DELETE, NOW!

would recommend something with at least a 14 inch 1080p screen, anything smaller makes coding long programs frustrating.

is that daenerys?

If you'll only use your laptop, that's fair, but if you can get an external monitor, just get a laptop that suits your portability needs/wants. Plug into a monitor (or two) when you're home to work on more involved stuff.

Are you blind? Emilia Clarke has much thicker eyebrows.

I had to do this one shitty Algorithms assignment where we both experimentally and theoretically compared different algorithms, and let me tell you, waiting for bubbleSort to run on an array with length 1,000,000 is no fun. Get something with a fast processor and a large cache.

get a surface pro, you'll love it

I ssh/mosh to my Xeon desktop when I need to do any heavy lifting.

I dont even have a desktop.

Thank you for your advice!

>No clit mouse
>Island style keyboard
>That border

What the fuck man, do you type like 17 cpm?

For studying its nice to have the pen to mark some things in the script or add explaining graphics or notes.

This is the only really important part OP:

>- a good battery

Get one at least 6+ hours if you can.

Otherwise it's really just personal preference. Maybe if you were doing a lot of game dev / graphics programming modules you might want to be sure to have a half decent video card.

Find out the common tools IDEs etc your school uses.

>What laptop would you recommend for someone about to go for a compsci degree?
Something light with decent battery.
>Is there a lot of note-taking involved where a Surface-type device would be a benefit?
A surface pro is way too slow to be good for this kind of thing.
The keyboard is not as good as on a laptop and writing on it with a stylus takes too much time and it becomes a distraction.
Either take notes on paper or use a laptop.
I would suggest that you use paper.
>What processor range would you recommend?
You will most likely make a lot of simple programs, so processor with fast single core performance is preferred.

That said, I would look at the school, if you have the opportunity, see the classrooms.
Do the projector have hdmi or vga?
A lot of schools still use vga, and having to use dongles is something you should consider before buying the machine.

Maybe you will make gpu programming, in that case you should probably get a laptop with an nvidia gpu.

But the most important thing:
>about to go
is so much different than
>going to
You don't know what you need, so don't buy anything.

If you want to have something at first day, get a used thinkpad, you won't spend a lot of money on it, and you can get something better.

just get a thinkpad

Who is this cum chum?
A friend of mine needs to know for his research.

get a thinkpad and install gentoo on it

Generally agree, but with (what turned into) a huge caveat about justifying a GPU with curriculum.

I've never heard of a curriculum that involved that much GPU-heavy work. By all means if you really want to dabble with OpenGL or something, then get a laptop with a good GPU, but this feels like post facto justification to say to get one if your curriculum will involve a lot of game development; my hunch is that if you asked professors whether their classes required (or even merited) a powerful GPU, they would tell you no, because that would place an unfair burden on students (specifically, one that feels just different enough from the textbook racket that they might get unwanted attention for requiring students to spend $1000 or more on "course materials").

Also, so many students drop out of CS in their first years that, statistically, we should probably be assuming that the OP is going to drop out of the major and do something else. Or at the very least, barely scrape by the filter courses and then opt for less rigorous courses in the CS major.

It's one thing to recommend someone a Thinkpad or a rMBP and assume that he'll stay in CS (or not). If he drops out, he'll probably still use a laptop and we would've suggested a similar one anyway (good battery, good to type on, good to read with).

But if we're recommending that he gets a laptop with a high-end GPU and he drops into philosophy or women's studies or something, then he's got a laptop that's way out of line for his needs at a relatively huge marginal (and now unnecessary) cost.

It's been a few years, but I really don't remember anything in my undergrad being so specialized that a lot of time would have been saved if I had a faster laptop or one with some special features (except a computer vision course, where I definitely benefitted from having a webcam). Every class I took at my "okay-but-not-great", mediocrely-funded-UC provided for anything that couldn't be found in a netbook from ca. 2012.

Google reverse image search has the answer.

this would be a suitable and natural habitat for her and I to mate in

I have one.
I love it.

SAY SORRY

Hi OP.

I just wanted to let you know that I don't give a fuck about what you wrote and only clicked on this thread to see more pictures of this slut.

Dove Cameron

take away the hair and the face looks a bit like ashley

Literally anything works for programming. You could write and compile programs on a fucking potato and still get the job done.

>ctrl+f "lenovo yoga 900s"
>no hits
shameful

I bet her little butthole is so pretty and pink.

Buy a x1 carbon

Anything. People always recommended me BS like "at least an i3" or such but I am extremelly broke so went for some generic notebook with a Celeron N2808

Windows 10 driver compatibility is superb, GNU/Linux driver compatibility is acceptable+, can multitask between programming software, steam, skype and a web browser with no issues, and can do youtube 1080p60 flawlessly which is often an issue for low-end computers.

So if you're broke don't fall for the celeron-is-shit meme, and if you have the means go for an i3 I guess

I got myself a recent Asus UX301LA(The one with the 2k screen, 5th gen i7).

Greate price and performance. Only cost me 1k yuros.

BIG

BLACK

cock

You only need a somewhat decent laptop later on when you will do more advanced projects. For example I recently wrote a path tracer during my master's and that was pretty fucking horrible on a thinkpad X220T.
Other than that I did my entire bachelor on a severely outdated laptop.
You take notes with pen and paper, not on a tablet or laptop like a faggot.

Oh and I know by experience you REALLY want a laptop with a good screen. Getting a thinkpad X220T was a big mistake as it only comes with a 1366x768 screen option.

Screen and keyboard are by far the most important aspects. Specs hardly matter.