Watch General - /wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f21/skx007-pro-hunter-lots-pics-365783.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PAfCbinb_pY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for any and all regretful purchases.

2nd 4 meme shock

still wearing the 70's Seastar

Still waiting on this and my Pulsar
Hopefully no regrets

I want to buy and change the band for my watch. Where do I need to go and what tools do I need?

Get a nice bracelet off Aliexpress.
For 20 bucks you can get a solid link 316L bracelet.
Just get a spring bar tool

I would literally pay 200+ cuckbucks for this with a SS case and a nice solid link bracelet.
Why the FUCK is Casio such a retarded company?

the only watches worth wearing are ROLEX and PATEEKKKK PHILIPPEEEE.

If you wear a seiko, hamilton, omeeeega, tisssott, or some other shit brand go hang yourself.

Post your watches then, fag

Because no one else cares, faggot

You can use a flat head micro screw driver

Is that some custom made SKX or an actual official model? I quite like the look of that

Bezel looks more like black bay or submariner style. Seiko divers bezels tend to show every minute marker, and not just every minute marker for the first 15.

forums.watchuseek.com/f21/skx007-pro-hunter-lots-pics-365783.html

Not what he asked, faggot.

Why don't you own a databank /wt/?

>Not what he asked, faggot.
It's a basic principal of design that should clue anyone to the fact it's not a Seiko model. So now he'll be aware of it, and may take a closer look at the watches to start to pick up on these details.

I am sorry you aren't able to grasp that.

>It's a basic principal of design that should clue anyone to the fact it's not a Seiko model.
No shit

Post your cheapest watch.

Here's my Casio AQ-S800W, I don't wear it all but it's kind of cool imo.

I would post of picture of the sun, but looking into it will blind me

>and may take a closer look at the watches to start to pick up on these details.

Ah, yes, because you're some pretentious expert, aren't you?

$100 Bambino
$10 Perlon

No, it's just obvious.

Popewatch, if I'm not counting the ones I got for free.

£14.99

I have taken a liking to Nomos Club 36mm. It's good value at 1080€ and in-house, right?

I do but it's the infinitely cooler 80's version.

I prefer the more Bauhaus Tangente but I think Nomos are one of the best luxury watches (Affordable-ish anyway) out there.
The swing system movement is goddamn sexy. How the fuck did the germans lose the war?

Top kek DW no one name quartz shiiiit.

So I fell for the King Seiko meme and got this 5246-6010. Paid around $500. I was hoping the case wouldn't be polished to shit, but it looks like it might be, compared to the pictures I found. Other than that and the slightly stained dial, everything seems fine. Gotta take it to the watchmaker to inspect the movement later today. Opinions?

Day dates are a russle but pretty much unavoidable on Seiko.
Looks pretty nice though, Hi-beat usually wears a movement harder than you'd think.

Tangente, Ludwig and Orion are all great-looking styles but I feel they aren't ideal as everyday watches, which is what I'm looking for.

hi guys. can i play?

Those lugs are really long.

Yeah, my terrorist costed me around $10, and that's including a new NATO.

I dont know if you could wear them as a daily beater. I know you can with Seiko, they tend to be folded 100 times with japanese steel. How long have you had this? Any comments? Not sure how I feel about eco-drive type watches

Eyyyy

I like, you usually have to fork out heaps for chronometer ones

I was searching far and wide for a good King seiko I could afford but got a lm special to scratch my itch

Hope it turns out well

I picked it up a few weeks ago when my summer bonus came in. I'm no expert by any means, but i do like it so far. It was actually recommended to me one of these threads. These are the only threads on Sup Forums where i'll take you guys' word for it, because i don't know enough to say otherwise.

"A russle" as in prone to failure? Or a pain to set? The day date sets like any ETA automatic. I thought it was the 56xx series that has a date wheel failure issues.

On another note, the I thought this movement is supposed to be hacking. The second hand doesn't stop when I pull the crown out to the 2nd position. It stops though when I turn the crown clockwise (adjusting time backward), which counts as hacking???

I hope so too. My first vintage purchase and non-ETA auto.

If you aren't a fan you can always sell it with no net loss

I think you will enjoy it though

If you are willing to pay $500 you can pick up an absolutely mint lm special for way less than that. Very similar if not the same movement, just not chronometer certified

Well if you're a desk jockey I don't see why they can't be. Though style-wise, maybe the Stowa Marine (deck watch instead of bauhaus but still kind of similar) might be more versatile.

Pain to set. It's the 56xx series which is doomed. I find that if anything is going to go wrong with a Seiko it'll be the fucking day date.

This is probably more of an /fa/ prejudice than anything real though

How much is seiko in a good condition with 5740-8000 ss 23j movement worth? Is this a reliable movement?

See pic

I do like it and the rarity tickles my fedora. I'm a little disappointed by the polishing, but I'll probably learn to live with it. If it keeps good time (advertised as serviced last year) and the movement inspection turns out kosher, I'd most likely keep it.

What are you currently wearing daily? Just out of curiosity.

Similar and a lot more affordable. A Nomos would want to be a really thought out purchase.

Do you guys have an updated poorfag guide

I don't think so

But what are you looking to spend?

If you post your budget and your preferred style of watch (dive, dress. Etc.) a few people should be able to offer some good advice

I already know I want an snk809 or 807 for the summer. Just seeing if there was anything new going on. Haven't been in here for a while.

A pretty generic Orient, and F-91W for sports and shit. I want to step up to the next tier of watches and going above ~$1500 isn't going to be a "comfortable" option for years.

Club seems to be pretty versatile when it comes to straps and I really like that in a daily wearer. Sinn 556 is the other big competitor for me right now, although it's starting to feel a bit too plain after looking at Nomos dials.

Aditya here how you gents doing this evening.
I'll be getting a SNK 805/809 soon enough as my first auto.

I absolutely love this watch. Where did you get it and for how much?

>mfw went to the pawn shop near where I work
>look at watches
>they're all quartz Citizens and beat-to-shit Bulova 11 calibers

Why is life so hard

Vostok Komandirskie 811171, cost like $35 freedombux shipped.

It SHOULD be a hacking movement. If it doesn't stop then there is something wrong with the hacking lever (or someone forgot to put it back in after servicing, I've seen that too).

28800 is really not outrageously fast, these things don't wear out anywhere close to the same degree as, say, a 45 caliber.

how big is everyones wrists?

There were males on /fit/ with wrists smaller than 6"

Learn to use a non-retarded length system first, subhuman.
16cm masterrace here.

Ok so ii went ahead and bought this last night because nobody said anything bad. Now i have come back to tell you all so you can get the shit hanging out of your system before the watch turns up

>month subdial
>non-standard lugs
>two tone
>pre-owned

thanks.
It is NOS from the 70's. I purchased it from an old guy who lived next to my grandma. Paid

Not sure if you guys already know, but silver and black (supposedly dark green) neptunes are aviable for pre-order at meranom. Orange pre-order sold out but more are expected in July and the green one is supposed to make a comeback in August.

Are you sure it sold out? Maybe it's just not out yet?

Also which one do you prefer /wt/, new or old hour hand?

>desk diving

>tidal

Did a complete service on it, now it runs great.

I sorta knew the story behind this but I didn't know how cheap you got it. Every time I've decided to buy NOS goods, I've paid NOS prices.

I'm personally looking for a two-tone sunburst dial version. These Tissots don't seem to have the premium that other old Swiss stuff carries, probably because the modern brand is such a piece of shit.

That's what I concluded from the comments in the "Review" section
>Good Day!
>Entire issue sold out on pre-order, or else be?
>
>Administrator: Hello. There will be more.
(machine translated)

Some other guy asked two days ago when will it be available again and the answer was "The next month."

I personally prefer the old second hand, but I have no qualms with the new one. They're both light years ahead of the fugly arrow-shaped one on standard models. The other difference between old and new neptunes are thicker lume indices.

fucking slob

That's rough

What is the easiest way I could polish acrylic crystal?

toothpaste

You also participate in the special olympics?

What should I use to rub toothpaste?

polishing cloth / lint free cloth

Easiest way? Just simple white toothpaste.

Best way? Get some fucking polywatch and a polishing cloth.

Anyone got tips on not getting fucked in the butt when trying to find vintage Hamiltons or Omegas?

Not that person, but will automotive headlight polish work? It is just supposed to rub dry.

That was fast, silver and blue are gone too, Only black is still available.

You have headlight polish but not toothpaste? Are you a car? How do cars wear wristwatches? Do you live in a garage?
Rub somw toothpaste with a cloth. It has fine sillica grains and unlike headlight polish, it has less harmful chemicals.

Thinking about buying pic related. Thoughts?

Me too, I just want a nice square stainless steel digital watch in the $100-400 range. I even thought about having a case machined and getting a good bracelet then sticking that movement in it but that would be way more effort than it's worth.

Who would have imagined this? TGV has reviewed a Vostok Amphibia:

youtube.com/watch?v=PAfCbinb_pY

is that a polarizer mod familia? how is the viewing angle for you?

also any idea what watch this might be, it's what billy joel frequently wears and I have been wondering

Headlight polish is just plastic polish, so it will work on acrylic. Usually polish intended for clear plastic is pretty fine...
~BUT~
test it out and make sure it gives the desired finish on something else before using it on your watch.

Casio MRW200H-1BCT on a black nato. Use it when doing work outside or if I think there will be too much blood or bodily fluids at work for a nice watch (hospital)

>(prostitute)

Char pls

>blood or bodily fluids
Aren't you wearing gloves? What the fuck?

True beauty.

Someone should ask Archie to do a review. Remember how his paid SKX review went?

Hardly a review. Besides, you cant expect a guy that never did a hard days work to understand something as utilitarian as a Vostok Amphibia. I'm not defending Vostok at all, I just think that you have to have a specific mindset, which he lacks

Archie once did mention Vostok as being dogshit (surprise, surprise)

For all the fags who fawn over Seiko because "muh design"... Here is proof that nobody is perfect

Does anyone here know something about the vintage Swiss Sicura?
I've just seen a neat piece going for 90€, and it used, are as far as I've just read, the same company as Breitling.
Would consider getting one and put it on a nice Bond nato, too bad it's chrome plated.
It uses a BFG 158 automatic movement, maybe someone knows it already.

Why? Like Patek Phillipe, they have eschewed needless trivialities like a hacking lever.