twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

every hobby is for the rich.

>>>>>

>be wageslave
>make good money for my age
>buy Kool/g/-tier technology
>never anytime because always working/at school

Dumpster diving bruh

This is true, if you get into the upper tier of almost any hobby you will find it helps to have money. Certain hobbies have a higher cost of entry, and frankly technology is one of the cheapest because of how much shit gets thrown out by people who don;t know any better.

It wont be the latest and greatest 10 core i7, but if you look around you should easily be able to find something halfway decent assuming you dont live in the 3rd world.

Let's assume technology includes PCs and mobile phones. It's really not that bad. It's a hobby that easily costs less than $10K to go buy really nice equipment.

Maintenance costs aren't too bad either. Once you buy your parts, chances are it'll last you for years.

You want a hobby for the rich? Cars. Cars are nothing but money pits compared to PCs.

No its not. This is the perspective of a gamer retard

no it's not, high end technology is
there is shit tons of low end technology that is fun and educational, like arduino.

>can get a quadcore for $100 and add a good GPU for another $100-150
>companies are now literally throwing dual- and quadcores into the trash
>hobby for the rich

if you have a decent full time job you shouldn't have a problem buying shit you want as long as you know how to manage your money.

but you're probably 15 and sad that mommy won't buy you the latest razer keyboard.

No, luxury cars and high end yachts are hobbies for the rich

The latest Apple products aren't expensive, they just want poor people to feel like they're buying their way into the upper class by overpaying for a shiny toy.

Not really. There are way more expensive hobbies out there, technology doesn't even come close.

>wageslave
>at school
>probably living at home

but celebrities all carry iPhones
it IS a status symbol

Incorrect. Everything virtual is for the poor.

Rich don't need videogames, they can afford to live on their own islands, ride supercars and fly private jets. They don't need measly virtual entertainment.

By op standards everyone with a job is rich

There is pretty expensive virtual entertainment out there, but you're right, the consumer market is not overly expensive (which sums up about 60% of the entire tech market).

the most fun I've ever had with technology was with stuff I fished out of the garbage

Used thinkpads are cheap and GNU/Linux is free.

You are wrong, the best parts of tech are free my friend. You must be a /spg/ poster.

>caring about what people that mean nothing to you do/buy/say
ishygddt

Sure thing, buddy.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but people will judge you for not owning a particular item.

Is this supposed to be an counter argument to my statement?

A lot of poor people do too. It's not a status symbol when everyone has one.

You what? Technology is one of the cheaper hobbies, and technology advances so fast that stuff you buy today will last forever. I'm still using my 2011 laptop, I put a new SSD in it last week and it runs like new. You can buy smartphones with solid specs for less than $300, mid range gaming PC's will last forever and all you need to do is upgrade the GPU once every 2-3 years, and that's only if you want to be on the cutting edge.

This is how the future looks like.

>overpaying for a shiny toy.
Not many Apple products are overpriced, sorry.

feel bad man

What? How poor are you?

>a hobby for the rich

This isn't exactly true. A hobby for the rich involves making money. Investing time and money into technology has no monetary return.

I'd say it's more a hobby for people who have grown into careers and see their first paychecks as an opportunity to build the pc they think they've always wanted. Reality is that games aren't getting much better, and most people spend a lot of money on a pc to reconnect with how they felt as a kid, and end up playing old games they could've played on a cheaper system.

raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/
$35 literally less than 1 day of working a minimum wage job.

logitech keyboard/mouse combo $18

high speed internet runs about $50/mo but almost everyone in developed countries already has it as well as a tv with hdmi port.

$53 for all the hardware required to learn programming. costs absolutely nothing to program.

kill yourself.

>for the rich
my last four computer purchases, all of which are operational (in reverse order):
140$ T410
85$ X200
200$ home server build
160$ Aspire One netbook
these were all bought over a period of four years. even a neet on welfare could afford that shite

This, cars are about 100X more expensive than PCs.

You think computers are expensive? I've spent more on my car last month that that I have on computers in 5 years

Make a hobby out of being frugal with technology. I'm using a raspberry pi as a desktop. I've slowly been adapting to lightweight software to accommodate it.

>tfw zuck is in better shape than you will ever be

Only if you're gayman or buy appleshit

I tell people I built a monster PC for games but truthfully I did it because I genuinely just like building computers. Probably gonna drop a grand on an mITX this summer

Yes if you define rich by Sup Forums standards. Not at all if not.

nope.jpg

sure there are way cheaper hobbies/activities, like if you go jogging or cycling there's just a small investment for shoes/cheap bicycle, but for example i like do sport shooting.

and ammo is nowhere near as cheap

>tfw technology is a hobby for the consumer whores
ftfy

Start working on open source software user. You can make that shit on a raspberry pi.

get into shitboxes then
old high-end workstations are cheap as fuck and fun to mess with

Computers are literally the cheapest hobby around.
Even being a tinkerer costs more simply because you need a shit-ton of powertools to get anything done.

>OP says technology
>nerds with their $400 headphones post to say computers are cheap

>200$ home server build
What parts?

>2k a years in computers
you are literally a god

>2k in cars
>implying that miatas the miata is the best car ever

those people live sad lives

I'll let you out a secret, hobbies are in general for the non retarded. Most people you will meet everyday won't have any "hobbies" beyond Netflix or whatever TV show is trending at the time

you never went to /n/, did you?

My man,

I am technically a NEET (no proper job) but I have to disagree. I only earn roughly one grand per week but that's enough money if you know what you are doing.

who the qt

>only
Fuck you

What expensive technology is actually worthwhile? You can do everything except gaming on a cheap refurbished laptop, and you can get a gaming PC that will play pretty much anything for a few hundred bucks.

ALL celebrities shit. Does that make shitting a status symbol?

All hobbies are are for the rich, it being a rich man's world. The ones that are affordable just have a lower cost of entry.

this. I recently got a t61 c2d 2GB ram for 40$ off craigslist because 'it doesn't have enough memory' and its in perfect condition except for the fact that the battery only lasts an hout, but chink batteries are 20 bucks and last 3 hours so no biggie

Technology equivalent of a feminist

mathematics is a hobby.
computer science is a hobby.
you don't need a super computer (or even a computer at all)

people are just obsessed with having new things