Did you find it useful? Was it worth the time?

Did you find it useful? Was it worth the time?

Other urls found in this thread:

coursera.org/specializations/data-structures-algorithms
coursera.org/browse/computer-science?languages=en
coursera.org/browse/data-science?languages=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No
No

Yes. It is very useful to start with and learn the basics of. is trolling.

what are some respectable sites to learn how to good well? not sites that are just trying to make a quick buck off these new age hipster fags that want to have text editors open at their local starbucks?

Yes.
I learned the basics of jQuery using it, now after a bit of experience (no formal training) I can make all sorts of things.

It's a great site with introductory tools to languages. Code Academy lets you experience some possibilities before you dive into a language.

Code Cademy.

Then check out udemy.

>Did you find it useful? Was it worth the time?

Yes, it was helpful to learn basic syntax and get a really general idea of programming. I went in with nothing but HTML/CSS knowledge.

After fucking around on codecademy for a while in my spare time, I pursued CS50X on my own. Later i found LaunchCode, which hosted live classes for cs50x.

Last month I met David Malan and the entire cs50 team at a LaunchCode hackathon.

Next week I am displaying my final project at a project fair through LaunchCode, and they are currently arranging an apprenticeship for me at a local startup. After 90 days the company can choose to hire me as a regular employee; 90% of LaunchCode apprentices are hired and starting pay is median $55K. This is in the Midwest where a two bedroom apartment is about $750 a month.

So yeah, it all started with codecademy, which I found useful

fuck off paid shill

Faggots, you need to go to thenewboston

I already have a bachelor's in Chemical Engineering but I want to go into software.

I just signed up on Coursera for the Java, Python, Algorithms and Data Structures, Data Science, and Machine Learning specialization tracks.

Did I make a huge mistake and fall for the online schooling meme or will this benefit my life in some way?

Python was the next thing I wanted to learn and some CS guy recommended it. It's horseshit. Just grab Zelle's Python Programming and start there.

That's actually pretty amazing, makes me excited to try it out.

This.

Tried to learn python.

It's like trying to learn chemistry by typing out chemical formulae.

You don't learn anything but the structure.

Go to EDX and do the MIT courses.

Which Data Structures course?

It's decent for basics but get through them fast. Check edx, udemy, pluralsight (torrents if you have no money atm) and YouTube.

I feel like the Duke's Java course is too slow. I couldn't get past the RGB lectures because I got bored.

Fastest way to learn is to just make stuff with the technology you want to learn. Read the docs, look up best practices, etc.

Stuff like this is like learning Calculus by just memorizing methodologies as opposed to knowing why the manipulations work.

It's useful to learn the basics of particular languages, but that's probably it.

Example: On EdX there's an the agile development with Ruby course. They want you to use codecademy to learn the basics of Ruby before taking the course, as it's not an intro to Ruby itself but in agile development with the language.

I remember back when there was no paywall. I understand that certain websites require payment to sustain themselves, but this is one of those websites that I would've much prefered ads with.

Aside from the required payment for the "better" lessons, the website is a decent start to anyone who wants to get basic syntax. CA doesn't really teach you how to "program," necessarily, but its best lessons lie within CSS and HTML tutorials.

Finally, they seem to have some kind of fetish regarding celebrities. Every single lesson deals with something along the lines of: "You're programming a game about Justin Bieber!" (See: JavaScript tutorials). It's incredibly boring and generally turns me off from doing the lessons - I come to CA to learn to code, not make an "adventure game about Justin Bieber."

worst tool for learning ever, doesn't explain anything properly and is too fucking monotonousness to be engaging.

No and Yes

Well not really. Technically its a good ice breaker but I honestly blow through their shit in 15 mins so I get what I put into it.

But then you have to go looking for something else you should have just gone to in the first place.

FreeCodeCamp is much better. It's similar in teaching method but it gives you projects to work on and throws you in the deep end.

Its not bad, but it shouldn't be your only method of learning. You should grab a book on the language and a list of beginner projects for it because holy shit is the site boring.

coursera.org/specializations/data-structures-algorithms

For further reference,
coursera.org/browse/computer-science?languages=en
coursera.org/browse/data-science?languages=en

I feel like all of their introductory courses are solid. Definitely provides a solid foundation for more advanced topics.

Only teaches you how programming languages work, and syntax. It soesn't tell you in deep like in the programming books how it works. It doesn't tells what to do and what to not do, it doesn't tells you why you can't do that code etc.