BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

bsdnow.tv/episodes/2015_12_30-the_bsd_black_box
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So /bsd/ is a general now like /fglt/ is?

Bump

Is there a WM on OpenBSD that supports a global menu bar?

4 days straight of bsd general dying with less than 10 replies

Stop posting anytime

I'm using freebsd in a project because no systemd cancer. Feelsgoodman

Why do you hate BSD so much?

Why do you keep posting this thread when obviously nobody on the whole board gives a shit?

I can't tell you the last time I've posted a BSD thread, I simply post in them when they show up. If that bothers you so much, why don't you just hide the threads or add "BSD" to your filter?

>cuck license
no thanks

Oh it's you again

>IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

Even the IRC is dead. There's literally nobody there except for the OP.

Why not stop your goddamn bitching and help bring some life into BSD.

>BSD
For what purpose?

For the same reason you use Linux or whatever the fuck you use, we want to.

There you have it, folks.
Even their circlejerk irc is a one man show. That has BSD written all over it - their shitty art, comics, gay little "groups"... Nobody is in any of this shit, it's all just trying to inflate themselves to appear to be bigger. Oh look just like their logo too the gay puffer fish, its just a small little piece of shit that blows itself up to appear big but has spikes all over it, it doesn't want you to actually touch and use it. BSD has the most perfect shitlogo ever.

>same reason
>no drivers and no software tho
fuck off

ebin

I rather talk about BSD or Linux or plan 9 or even Macintosh than windows.

>the no drivers meme
I actually started using OpenBSD because it had better hardware support for my laptop than Linux or Windows.

When you're a hipster and got into Linux and thought you were set but then one of your friends downloaded it
Bsdlords are fucking contrarian queens (not kings that is too mainstream of a word to use)

>lies on the internet

Which BSD's kernel code and low-level system/userland code would be best for diving into?

Intuition tells me to go for OpenBSD because they strive for simplicity, but the FreeBSD kernel has a book dedicated to it, which would probably be really handy.

Enjoy your commie licence faget

>the cucks are mad
as always :^)

This thread needs some anime girls

All the shitposting in this thread...

It's true. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, and then you win.

BSD is winning, guys.

I'm not lying at all. Linux had support for the touchscreen but not the pen, Windows had absolutely terrible GPU drivers, OpenBSD supports everything.

>cuck
>mental illness
why am I not surprised

>Windows had absolutely terrible GPU drivers
please, it's obvious already

The sentiment I've heard about OpenBSD (or BSD in general, I think) is this: They may not have as many drivers as, say, Linux, but what they do support, they support insanely well.

Or it could just be what BSD folk like myself say in order make ourselves feel better about our lack of drivers.

What laptop? A T42 from 14 years ago and the one the distro was developed on?

>Or it could just
more likely

Is anyone else having the system lock up using xarchiver on -current openBSD? I can unrar files from the commandline just fine, but if I use xarchiver the whole X server locks up except for the cursor.

I don't want to sendbug because nothing is showing suspicious on the logs and want to know if its just me.

Do you have a customized kernel?

>less than half of one one hundredth of a percent
"But if you count the times it's been stolen... Etc!"

Cute anime girls are not mental illness.

If what has been stolen?

just plain 6.0 Generic.mp.

haven't done anything weird. I updated the base probably 5 days ago and xarchiver maybe 3 days ago.

The only "weird" thing is that I only have 1 partition, I did this to make it easier since the default has way too small of a /usr/ for src ports and xenocara to be built under. The wxallowed decision is making me consider changing this though.

I really love the idea behind bsd. Read a good article about it and tried pc-bsd and freebsd. Pc-bsd wouldnt boot into the install. It worked after 8 tries and I still don't know why. After I installed it gnome wasn't working and for some reason fluxbox was installed.Freebsd installed easily but had a bootloop after I correctly changed wpa_supplicant settings for my wifiaccess with no output what the error was. I just went back to arch with architect installer. I guess I'll try it later for now Im too lazy.

I'm sure if you counted Mac os x and ps3/4 the percentage would be as high as Linux, bsdrones think this is a good thing, they are so eternally fucked as they cannot get any of this work back and meanwhile gnu and Linux are worth like $30 billion in terms of time. Muh freedom

We need to make /bsd/ a regular thing and make a list of common trolling methods to cut down on shitposting like bsd vs gpl and the openbsd FBI backdoor accusation.

I think there might be some misinformation about FreBSD and the PS3. See this podcast: bsdnow.tv/episodes/2015_12_30-the_bsd_black_box

It is posted every day by bitter contrarian losers stuck in a quantum state where they are "recommending" it but secretly hope you hate it. Its been months since there were posts in it that were serious and wasn't just some form of "kill yourself". Everybody knows BSD faggots are coffee shop hipsters: computer edition

Also, its only doing this on rar files (and maybe only rar files with passwords because all of mine have that).

Don't join their irc channel. Just a bunch of niggers there.

What a beautiful argument.
>BSD *is* popular! Its part of the ps3!
>you know that's not a GOOD thing, since it's stolen and you won't ever see anything of it?
>...well, we don't *know* for sure its BSD, since it was stolen

No point in listing the trolling, user. The only way to make /bsd/ a thing and get more BSD discussion going is to ignore shitposters and trolls so that they starve, and to have people contribute to them.

Unless the plan is to figure-out the common trolling and shitposting so that we can figure out what to ignore.

Also, does anyone sometimes respond to trolls or shitposters to get a discussion going sometimes, or to use them as free bumps? I've gotten a few great discussions going here on Sup Forums because I took a troll at face value and answered it in-depth. Other shitposts always follow my replies, which get ignored, but sometimes other people with interesting input chime-in as a result.

Why did BSD make you this upset?

What? I'm not arguing anything. I just thought the podcast was interesting because it talked about FreeBSD and the PS3.

I don't fundamentally care if FreeBSD is "stolen" or not.

We honestly should develop a list of what to ignore that trolls and shitposters post so discussion can develop better.

Because every BSD, haiku, plan 9 thread goes like this:
>BSD is better!
>why?
>it just is.
>but its missing x
>...you don't *need* x.
And then we see conversations where x was a web browser, http, video players, or even music players. This isn't an os or technology its contrarian hipster holier than thou garbage.

Fanboys going to fanboy. /fglt/ is pretty nice despite thousands of distributions.

Also, BSD is much closer to UNIX than GNU/Linux is and has played an important role in being used in various operating systems like OS X or the networking stack in windows. It's very technology related.

No one has said that except you. Some people enjoy discussing these operating systems go shit on a battlestation thread

Honestly, we probably need more-technical people answering for the sake of BSD. Or at least people who have better arguments for BSD than some variation of "well, it just is better".

The BSD's strengths lie in more technical shit, like OpenBSD's SSH and firewall (pf is love), FreeBSD's Jails and filesystem modules for Geom, and NetBSD's rump kernel, in-kernel Lua support, and modular architecture. etc.

The average pleb in Sup Forums doesn't care about that shit. Most people here are either idiots from Sup Forums who want tech support or want to argue about video cards, and the actually-technical people who have something of value to say probably only deal with higher userland-type stuff or userland programming/APIs.

Honestly, I think the technical community who could appreciate these things is so small, there might not even be any point doing it in Sup Forums. And it's already hard enough to find people to talk to in places dedicated for it.

The thing is you don't need random software like specific web browsers and media players when it offers alternatives.

I'll beg the question

How is OpenBSD's SSH better than Linux's? How is Jails better than docker/lxc?
How is NetBSD's modular kernel better than Linux's modular kernel?

I'm interested in trying BSD on my laptop, but am unsure of which variant to go for. Any advice?

I also am hoping that I can get my wireless card to work (MT7630e). I currently have source that I compile for the Linux kernel module to do this, but I am assuming that this will not work on BSD...

Don't forget about OpenBSDs libreSSL. It's included by default in the most recent release of OS X.

I'm not sure if any driver would work. I recommend using OpenBSD if your card works on there unless you have a nvidia card on your laptop. There are OpenBSD live CDs which I'd try to see if your wifi works.

Speaking of jails, I'm surprised the freebsd autist isn't here bashing openbsd because muh jails. Isn't openbsd getting something very similar to Jails soon?

That shitty rant that's always posted says it a thousand times. If the thread had people interested in it, they'd ask if it supported x and the pattern would repeat itself. Don't try to pull your pancakes shit on me when we already know your dumb strategy of pretending to live in the 80s which is what you're suggesting BSD newcomers do.

What alternatives? List them.

>"bsd is for losers, normies get out!"

As I said, "proud to be stolen"

Stop trying to make this a thing, it's not happening

To which browsers and media players?

OpenBSD has MPD+NCMPCPP, clementine, chromium, firefox, surf, vlc, mpv, etc.

It's not stolen, BSD is a very flexible license. It's why BSD has been used one way or another, far more than Linux has.

>SSH

Heh. Do people not even realize that OpenSSH came out of the OpenBSD project? The point I was getting at is that OpenBSD is a melting pot for new ideas and software, and OpenSSH was an example of that. The whole world uses OpenSSH because the devs were obsessed with maintainability and correctness, and usability.

As far as NetBSD being modular, I meant that their kernel has done a *superb* job at separating-out hardwares-specific or platform-specific code. It's very easy to adapt the kernel to a new architecture because of how cleanly and elegantly separated that stuff is. This is also a huge benefit because -- unlike some other kernels -- you can make huge, sweeping changes all around the NetBSD kernel codebase, and will barely, if at all, have to fuck-around with or update the platform-specific code. It also really helps that the process of building NetBSD for any platform is really easy.

NetBSD's pkgsrc is also another example of NetBSD's aim at maximum portability. It works on NetBSD, Linux and Mac, and is quick and trivial to setup so that you can get 3rd-party software working working and managed in a clean, organized way (I personally use it on MacOS). So, the same stuff works everywhere.

So yeah. Stuff.

They stopped supporting the laptop at Windows 7 and given it was a touchscreen laptop Windows 8 is clearly superior for it. The Windows 7 driver worked but glitched out at least once an hour.

Latitude XT2.

What are freebsds strengths?

So what I got out of this was that netbsd is able to work better if you make your own hardware?

But it doesn't really address how these are better than Linux/GNU-Linux/whatever

Knowing unix is very useful for a lot of jobs

Now try and argue against this reason for using bsd

How does it feel for evil, greedy, shitfuck companies like Microsoft and Apple to take your code and use it to basically destroy the technology industry with no intention of giving anything back to you?

This is why your license is bad and the GPL is not. Get over yourselves and stop thinking your license is somehow "better" or "more free" just because it's one step away from having no license at all. That's anarchy.

Please understand I'm not even trying to advocate any of the BSDs here, or sway anyone from Linux with the shit I'm mentioning in this thread. If I was going to shill BSD, I'd at least make it convincing.

But, with random shit off the top of my head...

Most-performant kernel, at least compared to NetBSD and OpenBSD's.

Has the largest repos of 3rd-party software, which blows the other BSDs' repos out of the water.

FreeBSD's new pkg-ng is fast, and has some needed features other BSDs have lacked for quite a while (jesus christ, were were you "autoremove"?). Though there are arguments for-or-against pkg-ng and the standard BSD-ish way of managing packages.

I like how packages you install NEVER touch anything or use config files in / or /usr. They are isolated in /usr/local/* so that things are cleanly-separated.

Jails.

It has a port of OpenBSD's pf firewall built into the base system, which is arguable the best firewall ever. Though they kinda fucked it up while trying to make it multi-threaded. Still nice to have though.

It's nice having a kernel and userland that's centrally managed, so that everything works well together and doesn't feel hacked-together.

The community. Holy fuck, I love talking to FreeBSD/NetBSD people. They're really technical, and you can always have interesting conversations with them. ("Hurrr, losers only!").

The geom framework is nice and modular, and it is nice being able to have full-disk encryption with geli.

Linux emulation that actually works. I used to use it to run a Garry's Mod server back in the day.

ZFS filesystem.

So yeah. Stuff. Fuck you.

I'd rather live in a world where someone can take my tech and not contribute back, then give some assholes the power to fucking jail or kill someone because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something.

Plus, companies actually do contribute-back to projects that lifted code from (FreeBSD has lots of corporate sponsors who both fund the project, and contribute fixes and improvements). And it's in their interests to do so because any improvements to the software by others is a win for them, and having the code in a centralized and open place is the best way to maximize people converging on and creating improvements to it.

I'd also rather have more people using my software than not. Popular software that may or may not be contributed to is better than dead software. And licensing issues are a huge deal when it comes to adoption, and I want a license that will instantly let people breath a sigh of relief and OK its usage without any anxiety or legal concerns about what they do with it. These days, the BSD is an "instapproved" license, and is great for getting company higher-ups to approve.

>losers only!
Yup, it's a circlejerk.
>irc
Confirmed circlejerk

Nothing wrong with thinking you're better than people, as long as you can admit it, but I know you can't.

>Yeah. Stuff. Fuck you.
Dude you literally are every first year college faggot who only joined to "teach" the professors and then get miserable failing marks on everything and never make it to second year. Entire post was cringe. BSD is too.

Bsdlords love talking about licenses, in fact its basically what they exist to talk about. Because there's no fucking software, drivers, apps, ANYTHING, so it leads to only having the same conversations everyday about pretending to make executive licensing decisions at your made up company that you will never ever be a part of

I will take your bait. Enjoy your (You):

How exactly do I think I'm better than anyone? What does that even mean? I just like BSD and some of the folks behind them.

And for what it's worth, I use Linux every day as part of my job, and I don't care if I have to use Linux or BSD to get my job done. They're both about the same for me with the type of work I need to do.

The comment about seeming like a failing college student also has no philosophical content what-so-ever. And as such, it has been disregarded.

As moot himself said, anyone can complain or throw shit around, but it takes actual intelligence to say something constructive.

>Projecting this hard
BSD has a fair amount of software. If it's open source, there is a strong chance of having a BSD port.

This. I've been using OpenBSD for years and have never once had an issue with software support.

This thread is pretty amusing when you consider the fact that this site runs on FreeBSD.

>jail or kill someone
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. You must be some sort of fucking fanatic or one of the companies I mentioned that relies on the works of others to exaggerate like this.

Anyone that listens to your bullshit is an idiot.

Same user here.

Kind of agree with you there, to some extent. It is very hard, if not impossible to objectively gauge how BSD-style licenses are considered at companies. It's mostly just heresay.

But that's also kinda the point... I don't want the power to know exactly how many people are using a given piece of open-source software. And I don't want the power to threaten litigation on *anyone*, whether it's some random guy, or a huge corporation.

So for me, the less the evils of government get involved in how people conduct themselves -- especially when no physical aggression or property is involved -- the better.

Cue the shitpost arguments of "hurr, you're just blindly following some utopian ideal!".

why are linux users so mean? Why they shitpost and ruin every bsd thread ?

>no replies
None of the hipster faggots in here using BSD are programmers. At best they're web devs who have heart attacks when they see bit shift operators.

They want Sup Forums to be a Linux circlejerk, heaven forbid other technology be discussed.

Why does every thread get raided by hostiles? Just let do.

I think it's just one assmad faggot. I guess the only thing anyone can do is report him

Nice toaster

They'll stop coming when two things happen: report and ignore all hostile shitposters and /bsd/ becomes a regular thing.

Ignoring them doesn't do shit, they just start repeating the same shitpost over and over if you do that. Reporting doesn't do much either, Sup Forums needs mods

I don't know what to say except... not an argument. Sorry, user.

And my reasoning for what I said is as follows. Even if I like the GPL for encouraging contributing back.

>Company uses GPL'd code privately
>Company publishes and makes a profit selling binaries that link to or use that code
>If company does not release their source-code, they will get sued, or worse, jailed
>This validates that state is allowed to have a monopoly on physical aggression

But I guess this is getting pretty close to Sup Forums-tier shit. Though, I'd like to hear a real counter-argument about how picking licenses due to my personal ideology is, inherently, wrong.

Or wait, no, I just make my living off the back of other people's code, and am making up justifications for it. That must be it. Damn, ya got me.

Bump

>jailed

who /ghostbsd/ here

Just you

Even if the guy is a shitposting asshole, that's no grounds to report him, because the lines are too grey.

Sup Forums what suck ass if everyone had to be afraid of being too "negative".

Plus if you want culture to change, it doesn't happen top-down with strict moderation. It happens from the bottom-up, where people change because they choose to change, or get ostracized and starved of dopamine for their shitposting and venting their personal frustrations on others.

Top-down changing of culture is only useful for really obvious shit like "your mom is a fat nigger" (which is only allowed in Sup Forums).

Why do you use GhostBSD, user?

Sorry user, missed this post.

That isn't isn't a bullet-point for people like you and me converting to NetBSD, but that NetBSD has a *reason for existing*. It's really useful for people who need an OS for embedded usage, or who need an OS for an exotic platform they might have their hands on.

NetBSD is used in many, many places, but we just don't hear about them. And there's probably a countless number of people out there who never even acknowledge they're using NetBSD.