Mini ITX Cases

So I got myself all excited for the A4-SFX then it turned out to cost nearly £200 which is too much, especially considering I'd also have to replace my current ATX power supply.
Are there any other good ITX cases with a similar form factor (tower, fits a GPU) that are cheaper? I like the look of the Hadron Air but I've read some poor reviews for it and I'm having second thoughts.

Other urls found in this thread:

silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=581&area=en
cooltek.de/en/jonsbo/rm1/150/rm1
zaber.com.pl/sentry/
hardforum.com/threads/sentry-console-sized-gaming-pc-case-project.1832126/
nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I got one for like 60€
gg

bitfenix phenom goes for $85-$100. It's what I've been eyeing for my build lately.

I'm using a prodigy at the moment and I'm not very happy with it. Space efficiency is far from on-point.

True enough. I need the case to fit on a particular small platform so I guess my preference is a bit unique. Just being conversational.

Yeah, as far as I know the phenom is basically the same as the prodigy on the inside. My problem with it is that I only use a single 2.5 inch SSD, so most of the space where the hard drive cages were goes to waste. It would be a great file server case though - I might use mine for that once I replace it.

I also like the look of the ncase m1, but that's also super expensive.

ive had my eye on this thing here for a while now only because i don't ever want to watercool my shit. then again, it's wider than a regular mATX, so i still don't know.

What case is that? It looks like a nicer SG13.

thermaltake core v1

I like the look of this one but it's hard to judge how big it is without actually seeing it in real life.

I'm very tempted by the Cougar QBX. For £30, what's the catch?

If only there was a way to know the size of things without actually being there

I think the drive cages are removable. At least on the phenom. Could be wrong on that. It's been a minute since I've dug through my build files and the guy I was looking at could've modded his case that way.

I don't think there really is a catch.
Is plastic and steel instead of aluminum, and is a little bigger than the m1.
If I didn't have an m1 already I'd be all over this.

I just did a build in an Evolv ITX.

It's an awesome case, but a LOT larger than my NCase. Maybe about twice the height, 25% deeper, and 30% wider. The biggest advantage it offers is the window if you're into aethetic and superior cooling.

If there was a way for me to use two radiators in the Evolv ITX and keep my 3.5" drive, I'd consider replacing my NCase with it.

Get the variant with a mesh front so you don't have to see ugly fake aluminium.

I've looked at that too, seems nice but its hard to judge from pictures sometimes. In one of the mitx threads a few days ago, there was an user who had one. You really need them to post about it.

the aluminium is fake and the design is derivative, that's about it. it's basically the m1 without the lian li premium.

Can you even fit your GPUs on those mini cases?

Depends on case usually, some can full length cards. Others can't

You can fit quite a lot into a small case if you're creative enough.

I think it's worth the premium.

god damn it guys, i want to go small formfactor but why is nobody considering a crossfire/sli?

Node 304 is the only mitx case worth a shit. It's small as fuck and you easily fit big air coolers so you don't have to rely on these craptastic AIOs water coolers. The better cases cost 5 times as much and are just plain out not worth it.

Because it's shit.

You can do something like the "Kimera" case, from Kimera Industries. And go mATX.

I don't see Crossfire/SLI being a big necessity. I run 3,440 x 1,440 and my stock-clock GTX 980 handles basically everything at max settings at 60 FPS. A few titles run below it, but I can just turn off AA since I don't need it and get quite a few frames back.

This is the best case.

I really like the look of the ncase but I'm already invested in my SG13 thanks to my full ATX PSU. I would have got one if it was just the price of the case but buying a decent SFX PSU would bring the price of the case up enourmously.

If you want SLI then go for mATX. Some of the smaller cases can rival ITX in size.

What PSU are you currently using? I've got a Silverstone SX500-LG I'll be selling soon. Going to get the Corsair SF600.

CS750M. I think it will just about fit in a QBX.

one 3.5" drive slot

Unless you're worried about failure of the HDD (which you should have a back up of, if it's important, anyways), one 3.5" HDD is plenty for most users. I have a single 6TB HDD in my build. I think Seagate makes 8TB drives now.

I believe that PSU fits in the NCase, just not with a full size GPU.

Fractal Define Nano S is great if you want mITX but with plenty of room for water cooling, more drives or just pleasingly clean, simple builds.

I really like the internal layout of the Nano S. But the exterior between the entire front panel, power LED color, and case feet king ruin it for me. If they made one with a white LED, and either real aluminum front or plain plastic, I'd consider it. It's basically the smallest case I'd be able to get all of my current hardware in aside from the NCase, but have the option to add a second radiator and two more fans.

What's the deal with all the fake aluminium cases thesedays? Real brushed aluminium doesn't even look particularly good.

I think aluminum does look good, though I prefer the anodized look. But plastic/fake aluminum panels are the absolute worst.

This is going to sound super autistic but is the logo removable? All I can think of when I see it is the THQ logo and all their shit Gameboy games.

the power supply compatability is retarded (imagine trying to select a power supply based on the orientation of its plug)

>I run 3,440 x 1,440 and my stock-clock GTX 980 handles basically everything at max settings at 60 FPS

"no"

Manlets
When will they ever learn?

What? Why is that needed?

"Yes"

Specific examples. Doom at max settings with AA off, averages 55+ FPS.

The Division, which is worst-case scenario, at that resolution and near-ultra settings with AA off, merits around 45+ FPS in most settings out doors. Usually higher in doors.

if your power supply has a plug that faces a certain direction, the extension lead (which is built into the case) becomes rather difficult to fit and interferes with the optical drive. Finding a decently performing 140mm PSU is difficult enough without also needing to care about finding one with a nonstandard plug orientation.

You can usually replace the cable for a few dollars. The cable you can order off of NCase's site may work. I'd need to look at the case.

The included fan is shite and moves no air. You'll probably need to invest its price in additional fans.

The cable is built into the case. They could have made it modular for an extra few dollars but I guess at that price point you can't complain

It has the same design with two screws like the cable on the NCase. I'm sure it's replaceable with the NCase ones.

Looks like it's just glued on, I'm sure you can.
Probably the same way you'd remove an old case badge or badging from a car.
Not as hard as you make it sound.
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=581&area=en

Cooltek C3 windowed is nice

>Cooltek C3 windowed
Huh
That actually looks pretty great.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Here's a small list of what I'm looking at so far (under 30L, everything is in mm). I was hoping the A4 would have done the trick, but sadly didn't really work for me.

Also neat is the RM1, ATX in 20L.
...which is actually smaller than the C3 by 1L, but you do get limited in CPU cooler height since the PSU is mounted over it.
Though you could probably mod in a SFX-L in the front to get extra Height there and just add a blanking plate in the back.
cooltek.de/en/jonsbo/rm1/150/rm1

Have you looked at the Zaber Sentry?
zaber.com.pl/sentry/
hardforum.com/threads/sentry-console-sized-gaming-pc-case-project.1832126/

>sharkoon shark zone

that's probably the ugliest case I've ever seen

>Have you looked at the Zaber Sentry?
I haven't! Thanks. I'm trying to find the smallest thing possible. This looks really cool

Indeed. It was quite awful

The only thing I don't like about the sentry is that, in my opinion, the GPU should be flipped so the fans face up.
Zombie and Saper had some reason that made enough sense for not doing it that way, but I can't remember what it was.
Also if you don't mind a power brick or short GPUs, the NFC S4 Mini is pretty awesome.
nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/

It'd be quite nice to have a more discrete case..

At the moment i'm quite fancying the FT03-Mini

A lot of ITX cases thesedays (ncase, qbx, hadron etc) have the GPU intaking from below but I've never been convinced that this works. I guess with a blower-style card it will intake air and then exhaust it out of the back, but how do you get airflow for the CPU when it's surrounded on 3 of the four sides?

wow this case is amazing!

i'm ordering one now. i can't fit my broken r9 290 though..

i have just ordered a secondhand r7 260x for 60€ though which will fit easily.

i'm soon gonna pound in 2 rx480's in it though when the time comes

Goodness, this case has no air circulation.

with blowertype gpu coolers it's a not a problem i guess.

but you're right, the vents seem a little too tiny for hot air for the gpu part

If you get an SFX/L PSU you'll free up a little space under the GPUs.

Too bad I can't get one here in the states since fucking Rosewill refuses to import it and only has the inferior U3 available.

Don't get me wrong. The U3 looks fine, but I'd much rather prefer the PSU on the bottom and a few more motherboard riser placements. The U3 lacks a few.

hey user is that tubing for use in cars? or is it just some special kind of watercooling tube?

Seriously considering this case, but how much worse will the noise isolation be than the prodigy?

I bet your cases don't even actively displace heat by wobbling on your desk to create airflow

i currently own this setup.

i'm pretty confident that the blowertype reference rx480 will turn out good this time.

.. or i just seriously hope it won't be a 95°C cooler again with 60decibels

fractal design arc midi r2

just bought myself a cheap h97 matx board so it fits well in the c3

GPU manufacturers need to seriously start considering the market for aftermarket rear exhaust coolers. I'm sure there's a lot of low hanging fruit for quiet or more efficient blowers.

Same with me down to the ATX PSU except I have an SG08-Lite

It's a back and forth. I love the look of my case, but the N1 (and Dan A4) are realllllly appealing with their size... then I remember how my wallet would look after buying one of those + the necessary SFX PSU

Well, theoretically the A4 will end up in retail stores at some point since Dan reached his goal, and the Ncase does orders in batches.

So you could buy the SFX/L PSU now and wait until you're able to afford an Ncase/A4.

Buut
With your current setup you should be able to move straight into the Ncase.
Is that the Hale 90 or Hale 82?

I feel like you could do better than that CPU cooler.

Phanteks Evolv ITX

I've got a 4690k and a Tri-X R9 290 in it, temps are good, GPU fans can be a little loud at times, but I haven't noticed a performance difference from my NZXT H440.

Agreed. I personally am in love with the Cryorig C7 - it goes wherever the stock cooler will go but is silent and keeps my i5 6600 under 50 degrees. There's basically no reason to have a stock cooler when the C7 or the noctua l9i cost £20.

It wasn't so silent for me.
I have a slight OC on my 3570K though, so that might be the problem. haha

I guess I'm lucky that I paired it with a low TDP CPU. The l9i would probably handle it better but it's more expensive (and lucks ugly)

Hale82 v2
Yeah, but my temps are good enough at the moment (especially with the AP181 fan I have above the motherboard / CPU). Replacing the CPU cooler right now would involve taking apart the entire system due to the way the motherboard is installed. I probably won't change cases, actually, considering that I've fixed those scratches on the inside by sanding them down. I'll probably just get a new CPU Cooler when I upgrade the PSU (to be an SFX model) and GPU (probably going to be one of AMD's new models).
Ooh I'll have to look into that.

To my knowledge the L9i doesn't do quite as well as the C7, and the L9x65 beats it slightly.

I have a Hadron Air, what questions do you have about it?

I've done nearly configuration you can think of.

I'm almost 100% sure you could move into an Ncase M1 if it showed up to your door tomorrow morning, assuming that nothing has really changed in your build.
The C7 is great for what it is.

Is the PSU whine as horrible as people say?
If so, are there any reasonable replacement 1u power supplies that are less noisy?
Is there any conceivable way to fit an sfx power supply in there? The hard drive cage area looks like it would be perfect, but it isn't removable afaik.
Overall, is it worth the money? Is there a better way to spend £170 on an ITX case?

I think the C7 is basically the peak of what you can achieve given the space intel officially reserves for a cooler. I think Zalman had one that did slightly better but it was ugly and I don't think it's sold anymore.

>lime green

>The hard drive cage area looks like it would be perfect, but it isn't removable afaik.
anything is removable if you have a dremel

You can just drill the rivets to put in an SFX PSU if you want.
>mfw captcha is of highway signs near my house
botnet.jpg

If you want an in-depth review of it:

The first thing to note is that the case is very case-mod friendly. The front panel is held on by adhesive and can be safely removed and re-applied. The front panel is almost entirely vented, which makes me believe they knew people would be modding the case.

If you use an M.2 SSD, you can drill out the rivets in the HDD bay which gives you a lot of options. Some people get an ATX/SFX PSU installed in it and remove the stock PSU, some people (like me) use it to hold a 120mm fan. In this configuration you can mount a Corsair CLC or a 120mm rad with no problem using the stock panel, so it's a pretty simple mod. Just drill out 5 rivets and secure the radiator. I cut a hole in it with a 4.5" hole saw and will be later doing the same to the front panel, so I can still use the front panel.

The next thing to note is there are no back panels for cable management for space reasons. However, you CAN keep your cables pretty organized through neat tricks: there's space below the GPU to run your motherboard and CPU connectors, and are just long enough to make the lead this way. Above the motherboard and behind the fans there is a recession that allows you to tie down your CPU cables and fan cables and keep them out of sight. You can also take off the rear case panel and tuck your audio, front panel headers and USB3 cable behind the motherboard and come out of the recession behind the motherboard tray. The GPU cables are cut to almost exactly the right length to alow you to plug them into a GPU without having too much or too little cable, again compromising your cable management. All other cables you don't use can be tucked behind the power supply and held down with zip ties.

[cont'd]

The stock PSU is somewhat of a tradeoff between space and a few things. First of all with the side panel on it's out of sight, which is nice. It's recessed enough that your average dual slot GPU should have room to breathe, so rear-breathing GPUs shouldn't be a necessity.
The stock fan isn't loud, but is noticeable because of the pitch of it. It's a rebadged server PSU with custom cables, so it's to be expected. However, it's really not a huge concern but if you're going enthusiast you might as well do something about it, which brings me to my next point.

One of the most popular mods for the power supply consists of replacing the fans with a pair of stacked, concentric 40mm fans. In particular a Scythe and Noctua variant, look on the EVGA forums for info about it. I'm running it right now. It cuts airflow a bit but can be mitigated (will go in depth later.) With this mod it's louder than my EK Vardar 1850RPMs at idle, but not at load (but much quieter, and pretty good for a power supply.)

There are SOME power supply replacements but there's concerns. Your PSU replacements might not fit, will all be unpainted steel grey, and might not have the cables you want (read:GPU cables.) The cables will also be too long and won't be sleeved. The power supply you use will be expensive and be really, REALLY fucking loud. I'd skip on it. To address the fact it's a 500W PSU: You can run a lot of power in the system. With a Z170 and a GTX1080 you can run an overclock as much as you like. 980TI might be cutting it close though, as it's more power hungry.

Like mentioned before you can fit an SFX PSU, read the forums. I've never done it.

One of the things I'd highly recommend is putting case feet on so there's more room for airflow. Costs like three bucks.
[cont'd]

Overall opinion of the case:

Great for the price when you factor in a free 80+ gold PSU.
Lots of mod-ability and you can even run full custom loop with the Hydro water cooling kit, which I think is like $130 from EVGA and gets you everything you need. With another 120mm rad and a GPU block you have a full system loop for under $300.
Case is built surprisingly well, and you'll find something new you can do to it every day to make it better.
I think it could have done a bit better on designing the case, but it's a pretty formidable product.

Lastly: If you think the case is right for you, and you're willing to put a little work into it, you'll have a damn good case. It has so much potential if you're willing to work for it. Probably not best for people who are building a PC for the first time.

Here's what it looked like first time around, before I moved to liquid cooling.

Good review, thanks for the help.
I might give it a try with an SFX power supply where the hard drive cages were. I haven't heard the default power supply yet, but I'm very perceptive of noise so it would probably bug me.
If you use a fan in the front then put the front back in place, does it still have airflow?

I know this is way late, but the tubing is EK's "ZMT" or "Zero Maintenance Tubing"

There is one called the F1 that is a bit nicer looking/more modern.

Those gpu's would cook lol

What's with the Arduino?

I've really been eyeing this new Jonsbo VR1. Do you think a 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust would be enough for an all aircooled rig? 980Ti and 6700k.

Should be fine.

Don't meme me. I can't stand thermal throttling and if there is any chance of it I'll just stick with my ATX monolith with 7 fucking fans.

I mean, I have literally zero case fans and I'm doing fine with a light OC on my CPU.

With that case it makes up for increased volume by running some air over components, so I imagine it will be fine.

Ok thanks.

Bluno. I have the power and reset switches and the power led running through the breadboard, the switches on transistors so I can toggle them from the Bluno via bluetooth.
Turn on my PC before I get out of bed, turn it on automatically when my phone enters BT range, having the LED through means I can check if the computer is on or off.
Might remove the reset switch from it though. It's unlikely I will ever want to reset my computer from anywhere outside of arms reach of the case.

The Nano S is pretty kawaii.

Do you guys think having the gpu fans blocked by the psu will be a problem?

I've not heard anything bad about it yet.