Pimp My GNU thread - /pmg/

This thread is solely for the discussion of Linux/GNU ricing, and is separate from the normal Linux "general". That means no distro-shilling, or otherOS shilling.

What kind of themes and icons do you use? What kind of WM to you use to make shit look pretty?

>"Hey, where can I get some themes!
box-look.org
customize.org

>"How about some icons?"
gnome-look.org

>"How can I make my own theme?"
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1518
pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201109/page09.html

Other urls found in this thread:

dev.maxxdesktop.co/trax/maxxdesktop/wiki/DR3_Installation_Guide
ghostbin.com/paste/bcea9/raw
box-look.org/p/1017307/)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2009
this is what GNUfags are stuck in

>black and green
so edgy

El bump

I am testing the Maxx Desktop, an Irix clone, on a vm.
dev.maxxdesktop.co/trax/maxxdesktop/wiki/DR3_Installation_Guide

Apparently it needs GNOME but I plan on dodge that requirement.

oh hey is this the desktop thread

This is the "informative" desktop bread

Looks bulky. Hope you have a nice resolution

I wonder if these themes come aliased to give of that true pixel feel.

Does that come packaged with KidPix? :^)

This, less cancer and more cooperation for a change.

I use KDE. I made the window borders and title bar tiny, like average rice grill.

Twin: A framebuffer wm, might come in handy for some people or for a special occasion, but not for ricing. Comes with his own "terminal emulator" and set of applications.
TinyWM: With 50 lines of code, this is minimal as it can get. Not big on features, but useful if you need to use a sttacking wm inside a tiling wm like Ratpoison (by using nested X servers).
dwm (+ dwmstatus): Now we are getting to feature-rich wm. This dynamic wm doesn't have many features by default, but with "patches" you can extend it a lot.
Ratpoison: Not for the faint of heart, this is the Emacs of wm, almost an entire desktop environment funtionality via shortcuts. Strictly tiling wm means you need to adjust to a life without the mouse.
Vtwm: twm with virtual desktop, Motif-like theme, and other added functionality. Themeable through a .vtwm, is easy to use and very savvy for when all else fails.
Motif Window Manager: The base for CDE, IRIX and 4dwm look and feel. Emulate that Silicon Graphics workstations you loved so much.
Bspwm: The vim of wm?
i3: Is the easy tiling wm you can get your hands on. Taksbar Included.
Blackbox (or Opebox): The wm which of Openbox forked from, is more than enough to use as a lightweight template for ricing. If you want more features you can use the fork Openbox that has xml configs.
IceWM: Do you feel like using a windows clone? With this you can out of the box. Even the configuration has a GUI for you.
Window Maker: A clone of nextstep (ancestor of Mac OS), a lot of applications (.app) are made for this wm.
Amiwm: Clone of the Amiga OS, the best feature you can find here is the workbench style.
FVWM (+ FvwmTabs and 4dwm theme): Now this is heavily themeable, feature filled wm. So much has been done for FVWM that you can choose between making a CDE/4dwm lookalike, or windows-like. FvwmTabs add an extra feature, the chance to merge programs in different windows by using "tabs".
s3d (+ s3dfm): ITS A FUCKING 3D DESKTOP!!!

The pic included is not mine.

I need a recommendation for a DE/WM, I want to move away from i3 but still get a similar amount of customization and good workflow.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

oh, wow. Thanks user. i3 guy here, but I like the run-down on many of these that I haven't tried.

See These are all window managers.

it's a meme ya dip

I'm in the process of reviewing Maxx desktop and Bspwm, will take time.

which ones haven't you tried?

Lubuntu newfag here,
just wondering how would I go about ricing,
Download i3?
Don't download i3 and rice OpenBox?
Just wait until I have enough GNowledge to use another distro?

best colors
get mad

In Lubuntu there is no easy way to change window managers. Better use a virtual machine like virtual box and download debian netinstal, do
apt-get install xorg
and then install the different window managers.
You can start different wm by typing
startx windowmanagername
Find one wm you like, learn it, rice it, enjoy it.

cool thanks

Here is a list of applications for all people who wants to stock their machines.
Contains things like file managers, panels, application launchers, screensavers, etc. All recommendations by name, doesn't contain descriptions yet.
ghostbin.com/paste/bcea9/raw

hello here is my desktop

hi benjamin

bspwm

1/2

aside from the panel this actually looks pretty nice

2/1

whoops

:^)

>using the smiley with a carat nose

is this that new vader wave I've been reading all about on ebaumsworld?

No

upvote good sir

this isn't ironic btw if there was an upvote button I would be clicking it rn

Is this based on actual SGI software or is it from scratch?

cool font i like it

benjamin

Never used anything but awesome. A couple of questions.
>Ratpoison
>almost an entire desktop environment funtionality via shortcuts
What do you mean? Can't pretty much every tiling wm have lots of shortcuts?
Or is it more advanced in some way? I remember how in awesome you could make shortcuts that accepted arguments through bmenu-like command line (for example, I use it to feed playlists into mpd, first I use the shortcut, then type the name of the playlist and it feeds what I typed to a mpc command). Is it something like that, or something even more advanced?
>Bspwm
>The vim of wm?
What does it mean? Does it have chainable keybindings (2wd, for example), or something?
>s3d
>3d
Sounds cool. But does it need a lot of resources to run? And how customisable is it?

fvwm is such a fucking pain in the ass to configure though

the config file is so full of shit

what?

hi

>black and green
Oh you're real edgy aren't you. I bet you implement polymorphism into every shellcode with a dynamic library.

>In Lubuntu there is no easy way to change window managers.

What a bunch of bullshit. It's exactly the same procedure as you typed out, just without the need to install Xorg again. ALl he has to do is select the new environment from his display manager.

Sup Sup Forums, I'm currently doing babby's first rice on Lubuntu. My question is after downloading a theme from box-look.org (more specifically box-look.org/p/1017307/) how do I install it? I haven't been able to find any clear answer on Google. Thanks in advance.

Its an openbox theme, so find out where openbox themes go.

My first rice!
Terminal colours are sorta very similar though which sucks a bit...
Any tips? 1/2

rip included my name. Whatever... Don't care that much. hahaha
2/2

>Don't care that much
You care enough, to censor it.
Even though I don't get why, noone cares that you're called dylan anyway. You forgot to censor your name at one point in the second screen too btw.

Its the principle, not to put too personal information on the net. But I already do a pretty good part about that so one fuck up isn't going to be the end of the world. :p
I;m aware I fucked up on the second one too. Thats why I didn't say which one. :3

P.s: Boxed Lunches?!

Blue board, m8.

OK. sorted.

How can I do the same?

You should replace terminator with lxterminal. It's pretty much the same thing, just with less bloat.

>babby's
baby's

Do NOT ruin desktop threads by having a copypasta OP or calling it a general

What WM is that?

mate I would say that your efforts are so minimal that the car you drive would be a non motored push bike.

You virgin retard.

Technicly it IS a general though.
And copypastas help us with not having to type out the answers for the always returning questions, that we are sick of answering.
Also, your desktop is ugly af, why should anyone in the desktop thread listen to someone like you?

shut up idiot

Rate my pimped gnu guys

Too bad the shell green and the conky green are different

h4x0r

Hey, liking this thread a lot...

Are there any WMs that are great for multiple monitors? I've got 4 of different sizes, and I'm currently using i3. I don't really want to have a separate i3bar configuration for each monitor, which is what I'll have to do if I continue using i3. Thanks!

oh shit !

Awesome wm

This is gorgeous.

I currently use enlightenment and im generally very happy with it, only using like 120mb memory on boot. Thinking about switching away from vivaldi and e to a tiling wm. I love Vivaldi's UI especially the tab management, but it has a couple of bugs that cause occasional crashing and can't get flash to run for the life of me. Is awesome the default tiling option?

Actually that desktop is rad.

If you mean "Rad" as in the german word for wheel, yes. But that's about it.

omg dude just SHUT THE FUCK UP PLEASE

Stop defending jordan, I'm pretty sure he's able to do that himself.

>Anonymous 06/09/16(Thu)03:48:35 No.549
im defending desktop thread

don't reply to her posts

Benjamin

LEAVE ME ALONE

Desktop threads rule.

who?¿?

black and green is classic.
black and amber would be nice too.

Amber > green

i had the same problem with Vivaldi(flash)

did you download the latest flash player? is it NPAPI or some shit?

>/home/ben/Images/Cute/
Pedophile/10

don't reply to Benjamin's posts

>ratpoison
>the emacs of wm
>not stumpwm

c'mon son

babbies first unaware meme

Vulnhub should also be listed under exploitable distros. Tons of fun with VulnOSv1&2 Tr0ll 1&2

Who /DWM/ here?

how'd you get the background for your browser to match the desktop?

Have fun with the green light, the most damaging light for the eyes.

I changed the CSS of Sup Forums

>ricing to unusability

Will it live?

Is that a fact?

I mean 4chins is already storing your info and selling it on so I wouldn't worry about us seeing your name.