When will the 64-bit meme end?

When will the 64-bit meme end?
32 bits are enough for casual use.

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.com/2016/05/11/mike-szczys-ends-8-bit-vs-32-bit-holy-war/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fucking casuals

>waah progress is being made

because its there. its like asking why people started using Unleaded gasoline.

Poor comparison, neither 32-bit nor 64-bit processors are harmful for your health.

>I drink my gasoline

>I don't breathe air

You said it yourself: "enough for casual use". I'm not a casual and want to tinker with every little thing I can to make my PC experience the best it can be.

31 bits is enough for mainframes

The Nintendo 64 is an overrated console with maybe 10 good games.

You don't breathe air???

Not with amount of RAM Chrome likes to gobble. It's almost as much as OPs need for cock.

Might as well format all your drives to FAT while you're at it.

just going to post this
>03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038

>tfw 32-bit OpenBSD is already safe
What a god-tier OS

but doesn't 64 bit give some speed benefits? I remember back in the day, with my old Athlon64 computer, I tried comparing oggenc on 32 bit Ubuntu with 64 bit ubuntu, on the 64bit version it encoded the same file almost twice as fast.

I'm not a filthy casual

that's actually still salvageable, just needs some contact cleaner ass-blasted on it and pins bent back in place.

(thermal paste doesn't conduct electricity)

I could fix that.

fuck off louis

Lots of thermal pastes do in fact conduct electricity.

Huge numbers, in fact. The whole "ceramic paste" thing is pretty new, you god damn child.

Linux is making a new architecture that is 32-bit but runs on 64-bit CPUs and uses the full 64-bit instruction set. The computers of the future will probably have most apps like this and only apps that needs >4GB of virtual memory will be 64 bit.

8-bit is enuff.
hackaday.com/2016/05/11/mike-szczys-ends-8-bit-vs-32-bit-holy-war/
(it is acctually a bretty nice talk)

heh

Whoever that is in the background, they have a really cute waist.

what is memory mapped I/O?

using 1-bit bus would also be enough, so long as your CPU is running at least 128Ghz. your motherboard would be small, but would be melt pretty soon. You'd also have to invent a new CPU architecture to interpret the temporally distributed instructions.

It's a trade off, how fast can CPU's go, vs how many wires can we fit on one motherboard.

>1-bit
Shouldn't it be an analogue computer?

HOW IS SATA FASTER WHEN THE CABLE IS SMALLER???

>Shouldn't it be an analogue computer?
Not necessarily.
You can do quite a bit with a serial architecture, so long as you don't need speed.

>serial architecture
Serial data transfer is not "hurr durr 1-bit" you fucking idiot.

PCI Express x1 is also serial with only one data lane, but it's not a 1-bit bus.

GAMEBOY POCKET SHOULD BE CHEAPER BECAUSE IT'S SMALLER >:(((((((((((((((

>Serial data transfer is not "hurr durr 1-bit" you fucking idiot.
I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you.
There are actual CPUs that were built with single-bit buses.

PCI Express x1 is serial and has more than one data pin, therefore all forms of serial communication require more than one data pin.

Here's a secret message in morse code for ya :^)
... .--. . .-. --. .-.. --- .-. -..

>64-bit meme
x86-64 and AArch64 legitimately improved on their 32 bit equivalents in many ways aside from just making the registers twice as wide and handling more RAM. With PowerPC or MIPS (such as the MIPS64 CPU used in the N64), you would have a point to say that 64 bit is more of a meme. With the majority of consumer devices though, which run ARM or x86, the 64-bit extension is objectively better even if the amount of available RAM was kept constant.