/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0315417/
youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI
discordapp.com/api/download/canary?platform=linux&format=tar.gz)
download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When ever i unplug my mouse, all the settings in Xmodmap are no longer honored.
I looked at udev,but i didnt see how i could reset the config/bindings

I predict that this will be the first post in every thread for all eternity, and will forever go unanswered.

Best of luck, friend.

pdf viewer that remembers position and has smooth scrolling? pretty much just want sumatra pdf on linux.

you need to store the settings in ~/.Xmodmap

They are
.Xmodmap
keycode 133 = XF86ModeLock
keycode 193 = XF86Launch0
keycode 194 = XF86Launch1
keycode 195 = XF86Launch2
keycode 175 = XF86Launch3
keycode 176 = XF86Launch4
keycode 177 = XF86Launch5
keycode 178 = XF86Launch6
keycode 179 = XF86Launch7
keycode 180 = XF86Launch8
keycode 171 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 173 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 174 = XF86AudioStop
keycode 123 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 122 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 172 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 121 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 148 = XF86Calculator
keycode 93 = F13
keycode 97 = F14
keycode 103 = F15
keycode 120 = F16
keycode 132 = F17
keycode 149 = F18
keycode 154 = F19
keycode 166 = F20
keycode 178 = F21
keycode 183 = F22
keycode 184 = F23
keycode 187 = F24

then it sounds like a bug

just write a script that checks for udev event for plug/unplug and reload .Xmodmap

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

I had something similar to this before, but changing the run commad to as suggested.Unplugged it and plugged it back in, still no dice
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1532", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0053", RUN+="xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap"

desu I'm not sure how the permissions work with udev, you may need the full path to ~./Xmodmap

Valid argument.

Maybe we could attach some webms to the OP of doing random basic stuff on a random GNU/Linux distro?

Evince does that for me.

>install Linux Mint at work because didn't want to spend time configuring it
>apt-get is a piece of shit
What's another Linux that works OOTB that doesn't use this piece of shit package manager

Fedora

Stop
>runs an AV
>AV finds an .exe
>WELL WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT, LINUX CAN GET VIRUSES
What an idiot

Just did a fresh reinstall of arch, but now I'm getting a ca-cert error when trying to clone my install script, it can't find the .crt file in /etc/ssl/certs/ (because it doesn't exist). Ideas?

Fedora is noice

Install 24 bets so you can do a rolling update instead of a full upgrade in a few weeks

Sounds good m80s

*beta

>too stupid to use program
>calls program a piece of shit
Seriously, fuck off faggot.

install ca-certificates

apt is a piece of shit though, it's slow as fuck and isn't really as powerful as other package managers, I cringe everytime I have to do some maintenance work on our servers

Sorry I want something that just werks instead of throwing an error because it's apparently incapable of grabbing dependencies correctly or some shit.

Is there a program that lets me type something when I'm on my desktop, shows me all executables in path that match what I typed and then lets me launch one?
Sort of like dmenu, but without a menu bar. Just a window popping up or something.

You are a piece of shit.
Read the manpage and stop switching programs. You will have the same problems with the next one if you don't learn how to use it.

Was already installed, reinstall didn't help

gmrun

Actually no. I've had no problems with Portage and pacman, apt-get just sucks ass compared to them.

So I have a modern AMD GPU and would like to play games both natively and through wine, which packages should I get? catalyst or AMDGPU? also I heard I need the 32 bit packages as well so what are the commands? thanks.

to be fair I think it's mostly a packaging problem and not apt's fault most of the time

>why can't I hold all these arguments

qemu/kvm, pcie passthrough

See if you have ca-certificates-cacert,if not install it

>You are a piece of shit.
Nice argument.

Today on /fglt/ TV:

The Code (2001)

imdb.com/title/tt0315417/

>Finnish-made documentary about GNU/Linux, featuring some of the most influential people of the free software (FOSS) movement.

mpv youtube.com/watch?v=XMm0HsmOTFI

Yep, also have that.

That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Do you have any idea if it's possible to always launch it automatically when I type something on my desktop?
It also doesn't seem like you can make it always show possible matches. You have to press tab before you can see the suggestions.

>apt is a piece of shit though, it's slow as fuck and isn't really as powerful as other package managers
Not sure why apt didn't work for you, but I've never had such problems on my Debian (Sid). Maybe you're using slow mirrors?

Run pacman -Src ca-certificates
Delete /etc/ssl/certs. mkdir /etc/ssl/certs
chmod 775 /etc/ssl/certs
Reinstall ca-certificates

So with its "coming soon" release for GNU/Linux approaching, I was wondering: what is /fglt/'s opinion on Discord as an alternative to Skype for voice communication and whatnot?

Are there any better alternatives?

I thought Tox is a thing now.

dmenu2
>auto
No. why would you even want this.You wouldnt be able to type anything in any window,as it would track the entire xsession.

This kind of shit post doesn't help anyone

I didn't mean slow as in the download speeds, in that matter it's alright, slow as in a general clunkiness when navigating the program.

Someone help me.
I wanna install VBoxAdditions ,i alrdy mounted it and i wanna run the .run file ,but it tells me that i dont have permission .Wtf?I ran on su and sudo chmod +X on it and it tells me read only file system even on su.

It's already on Linux, it's great, fuck Skype.

elaborate

using WINE in 2016 is moronic, gpu passthrough is a far superior solution

Navigating? Do you mean aptitude?

I do have ubuntu 16.04 on my notebook right now.
Should I install kubuntu? Not sure.

>already on Linux
Official site hasn't listed it yet, do you mean a beta?

sudo chmod a+x ./vbox_install.run
sudo ./vbox_install.run

>what if I told you

>>what if I told you
wat?

No I mean using apt-cache, apt-get, and-config and their subcommands and stuff.

Yeah the beta, it's working smooth with no issues and has all the features that the Windows version has (just download discordapp.com/api/download/canary?platform=linux&format=tar.gz)

that you could install kde in a single command

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Discord runs very well, so much better then skype, even winfags i know are switching over from skype

those folders dont exit.

Then type faster, kek. Or make an alias.
Don't play retarded please.

Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc all those spin offs are exactly your Ubuntu with a different Desktop Environment.

Would you like to use a different desktop environment to Unity?

>Yes
Would you like to have it work without much pain, assuming your system is fresh? Then sure, install the OS clean again with one of those alternatives
Would you like to struggle a bit but learn, assuming your system is old and you don't want to reinstall your whole OS? Look up a guide on how to replace Unity on Ubuntu with a different desktop environment

>No
Then there's no reason.

Wouldn't it be possible to only do it when all windows are minimized?

>replacing one proprietary voip program with another
>thinking it somehow makes anything better

wut

Which is why I asked you for better alternatives. Hint at FOSS alternatives you like

I think that might be you who's playing retarded here. I don't mean how fast these commands can be typed out, I don't mean how fast the packages are downloading either, I mean how fast the utility reacts after submitting commands (hint: not very fast compared to other package managers).

is kde better than unity? :^)

>gpu passthrough
Not worth the hassle to setup, when it works flawlessly in wine.

You're just saying words, not pointing anyone in the right direction so it's useless, thanks for posting pci passthrough it's as helpfull as "install amd drivers"

What Linux distribution to install the beginner ?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

the folders dont exit,if you mean to use that on my .run file it still doesnt work,same error,entire file system says that its read only.

No.
Press a button and launch the menu

I see, youre just a casual memer.

XMPP with any of the clients like Jitsi.

that was not my question. lol! XD

You wish to install a beginner?

If you meant a beginner friendly dsitro, Ubuntu, Ubuntu spin-offs, Mint, Fedora and Manjaro are popular options

Okay. Thanks for your help.

A smart, no, not-retarded person would know how to investigate further by searching "pci passthrough" in his search engine of choice and then taking the appropriate steps.
No one is going to spoon-feed you. Especially not with that attitude. How do you accomplish anything in life?

>using lol! XD

Running a VM is cumbersome. WINE just werks. Unless you need to game. Obviously pass through is superior.

Okay thank you. And what do you say about Debian?

Does anyone know how I can make LibreOffice use GTK2? Someone told me I need to make LibreOffice use GTK2 to fix the weird color but I don't know how to, and also, how do I fix fonts?

Best environment for HiDPI? Using unity 7 now. Seems to work well. Some wine applications don't scale though.

I love Debian, that's the OS I use personally (Sid).
But you asked for beginner-friendly distros, so that's what I offered

Debian is a good option if you're not afraid of reading a bit and not being daunted by the process not having as much hand holding. But it's not hard either.

>entire file system says that its read only

then you have severely fucked up

First command fails with
"unable to initialize alpm library" and "could not find or read dir c/var/lib/pacman/"
I'll just create a new usb and reinstall since the one I used was quite old, although it shouldn't matter.
Btw, how did you find / learn those commands? Is your gnu-fu this strong?

Have you tried changing your gtk theme and fonts?

i did not mount this filesystem,i just had it alrdy on my VM.
I will unmount it,how do i install VBox additions fastest way?

>just saying words

I'm directing him (you?) directly to the programs that will accomplish what he (you?) wants to accomplish

Simply googling kvm + (insert your distro) will lead you to a wiki or manual page that will give explicit instructions on how to install and configure the system

I have neither the time nor the willpower to rewrite everything on Sup Forums that will float off into the aether in 24 hours

I told you that and I don't understand how you couldn't have searched for "libreoffice use gtk". Literally the first result on Google (either straight up Google or using a proxy like Startpage) is a link to the Arch Wiki which explains how to do it.

Its just commands you learn as you use it.
I've been using some sort of linux for 17 years.Its pretty much all the same across distros.Just have to learn how the package manager works and thats really the only special use case.

Under KDE you can change your gtk theme in settings.

>"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy."

>Unless you need to game

>So I have a modern AMD GPU and would like to play games both natively and through wine

>would like to play games

Am I living in la-la-land or some shit? That's exactly what he asked for.

Please help to choose a DE. Gnome - a good choice? Why did they hate him?

>weird color
Make sure your theme is 3.20 compatable.
Dosent look like it is

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here

Download the .run file
chmod +x it
run it

It's not fucking rocket science

I use GNOME on my Debian desktop, and LXDE on my Debian laptop.
It all depends on your tastes and needs.

If your computer is old, consider something light like LXDE, Xfce, or even no DE at all (this is for advanced users)

If your computer is fairly recent (let's say, from the past 5 years), you can pick anything you want and it should be fine probably.

This is like asking me to choose your favorite color for you. I can't do that.

The guest additions that i get if i click Devices->Inset Guest Additions... on my Oracle VM is read only everytime i mount it.
Were else can i get it?

GNOME is fine. I personally don't like it but there's plenty of customization available.

It got a bad rap because it took a hard left turn a few years ago and people got pissed

Is Tux a good alternative, Mr. Stallman?

the virtualbox download site

download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

Copy it from the read only device...?