Get computer science degree

>get computer science degree
>go job searching
>literally every position requires 3-10 years of experience

how am I supposed to get experience if I don't have a job yet though

what the fuck do I even do? I'm out of college and I'm ready to work but nobody wants me

>how am I supposed to get experience if I don't have a job yet though

because you did a two year internship while you were studying?

You didn't?

oh.

yeah, i'll have fries with that.

>he didnt get any experience through projects, internships or part time jobs

And you feel entitled to a six figure income... what is wrong with this world?

I had an internship for a bit under a year. I'm not asking for a huge pay at the start, I just want a base where I can build some experience.

Here's the secret: When job listings say they need you to have many years of experience, or an insane range of skills, that's their IDEAL list of requirements, and is a compilation of the various skills needed at the company.

They're just throwing everything they need up against the wall. If you go and apply, even if you're not close to meeting everything, you may still get the job, because at the end of the day they'll need to settle on somebody.

This. Your best bet would be to focus on job listings that have been up for a while.

If it's 30+ days and that listing is STILL active, you might have a damn good shot.

That makes sense. Should I honestly just be sending it around anywhere that looks good, even if I'm highly unqualified (by their standards)?

Same with dating sites. Just apply and eventually someone will hire you/and or sleep with you

Doesn't hurt. I've known people who host such requirements as a filter against unworthy candidates - people who give up when faced with arbitrary numbers.

if ur a grill maybe

>can't get an internship without experience

>Check my university's jobs board
>Literally hundreds of jobs based on skills, not experience

Any non-shit college has resources to help their students get hired, user. If you're doing this on your own you already fucked up.

i'm in my fourth year of electrical engineering now and despite all the subjects i've passed I still feel like I have no skills

maybe I should have tried to learn content properly instead of just trying to pass subjects

Should've gotten a CS degree instead of memegineering

Lol I'm not even done with my masters and already have 5 years on the clock (I even live in germany, where I wouldn't have to work to pay for shit)
Haha

yeah I wish I had but I had no programming experience whatsoever before I started electrical, and didn't realise I actually liked doing any programming until third year

>that's their IDEAL list of requirements
No not really. Requirements are usually what they need from you at minimum. If they are flexible then they will say otherwise.

Nigga i switched from engineering to cs on my third year. Best decision I ever made.

I've already switched degrees twice so I really want to get engineering finished

>Maybe I should have tried to learn content properly

What the fuck do you think you're paying the university for if not to learn the content?

The "apply anyways" meme no longer works, now that everyone and their doge has a CS/SE/CE degree.

to get a certificate saying I learned the content
but seriously I regret not putting more effort in for a lot of it

That's why being a "full time student" is a bad idea.

Not in cs they don't.

That said, it may also be requirements that they know nobody will meet and still apply, and they're just putting up the job so they can say they tried before paying some foreigner dirt for it.

OP, where are you at? My company is hiring straight out of college comp sci students.

Tell us more, user.

Precisely. I'm only talking about CS jobs here.

I don't want to take 8 years to graduate m8

Montreal, man.

Damn, I'm in Cali. They definitely won't deal with the hassle of hiring a foreign worker.

Just keep looking and make some project for your portfolio. You'll get lucky eventually.

Also, make a LinkedIn if you haven't. Lots of recruiters exclusively use that.

No way! Im doing a compsci DEC at Dawson

Thanks anyway dude. I have a LinkedIn, though I think it'd do me some good to update it.

Oh, nice. I went to Vanier for my degree.

>go job searching
>same job ad pops up 20 times by 20 different recruiting agencies
>get an interview
>sorry we decided to pursue other candidates

You lie you fuck.

This. Those lists of requirements are made up by hr who just throw words they dont understand on paper.

The worst is when you get interviewed, but didn't get the position only to see that same position posted again a month later.

>internship
>specifically states no experience required
>get rejected because: 'other candidates had more experience with the technology'

Here's what you do faggot.
You apply to them still, the worse thing they will say is no.

that's a valid excuse though, especially if it's an internship at a bigger company. if you have no experience and no amazing projects to show off, you gotta start small. even then it's not a guarentee

How about getting a career choice that has more demand than supply? Guess they don't teach the basics in school.

>get computer science degree
>don't actually know how to program
>just really good at googling stuff and searching Github
>go to flight school instead

Not even kidding, I can barely program. I'd be so fucked if I had to search for a job in the comp sci field.

Yeah, it's starting to look like I'm going to join a trade and keep programming to a personal hobby.

>went to trade school
>took IT
Fucked my future career prospects up.

If the Navy hadn't given me a full ride scholarship, there's no way I would have gone to college. Probably would have become an underwater welder.

I only switched to comp sci because I took a Matlab class my sophomore year, and thought it was easy. I figured since I liked video games, it would be an easy major. Pretty sure the only reason I got my diploma is because I was on really good terms with the professors, and they knew I wasn't going into the technical field after graduation so they didn't have to worry about me being an embarrassment and giving the school a bad name for pumping out graduates who can't even program

>we wish you best luck in your job search

Now that's just salting your wounds, I can see the interviewer snicker as he copy pastes that reply, and think to himself "yeah right, what a fucking bozo".

user, please think about this for a second.

If a company says they need 5 years of experience, and they get two otherwise identical candidates who have:
>5 years of experience pushing the reboot button when the server stops responding
or
>4.5 years of experience continually revolutionizing the field the business works in, growing revenue for competitors by double digits every quarter

Do you think they'd choose the first one because they need a minimum of 5, so the other candidate is automatically disqualified?

No. Required minimums are things like "Class C licence", "Passed the bar in the state of Texas" or "Fluent in Chinese". No matter how good you are, you can not legally or practically work without this.

Absolutely nothing requires N years of experience, it's just a rough measure of having done the job for a while.

I got a paid internship as a freshman just because I had good grades and did a couple projects. I made a couple iOS applications. Shits not complicated guys

I'm stuck in this hole too, for over a year now. Can't even get into an internship without experience. Going to try volunteering instead.

If you don't have either personal project experience or work experience, you made a mistake.

I worked every summer since junior year of high school, contributed to open source, published my own projects, and left college with a job at Google lined up.

You can graduate with a CS degree without being able to write a hash table, or describe why they are important. It's unfortunate, but it means the piece of paper that is your degree isn't worth nearly as much as real experience.

The requirements on job listings are not strict requirements, apply anyway. But realize that companies are taking a big gamble if they hire a undergrad with no portfolio or work history, even if they offer a lower salary.

>5 years experience with x technology

Most retarded stuff I have seen. After a year you have seen it all, what you haven't you can solve with stackoverflow and google in the matter of hours.

>Another millennial expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter

I wouldn't hire a 22 year old who's never had a job either.

What's the point of getting a 4 year degree and good grades if it allegedly doesn't mean anything?

most programming jobs pay 5 figures. Youre only grtting 6 figures at top tech companies and by being senior after 10-20 years.

The best bet is to focus on all available positions where you have parts of the tool and skill knowledge they list. If you're 1-3 years of the min experience then apply. There's a chance they are hiring for multiple slots which is almost never indicated on the posting.

Be willing to move. Ie apply across the country.

Apply for software positions where software is secondary, like the defense industry.

Learn software processes and put them on your resume. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to interview someone and they don't know at least the basic engineering process let alone how it applies to software.

A degree by itself is meaningless. All a degree proves is that you can survive a 4 year all expenses paid drinking binge.

>what you haven't you can solve with stackoverflow and google in the matter of hours.
I've worked with things like proprietary legacy systems where you can't just rely on other people having posted solutions for you.

>all expenses paid
Found the european

I know you're a know-it-all manchild with a dick up his ass, but IT colleges aren't exactly the "party wing" of a University. The IT college in a university is always just nerds who are studying hard.

>be millennial
>graduate high school/college
>find out parents started with no money and shit jobs and worked their asses off for 20 years to get their current standard of living
>find out there are no participation trophies in the real world
>wahh I can't get my dream job right off the bat with zero experience
>protest