Post sexy vintage hardware

post sexy vintage hardware

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/T_onFO3XQsg?t=628
ebay.com/itm/252345620122
livingcomputermuseum.org
youtube.com/watch?v=_HMPulAqiTI
ebay.com/itm/ALPHASTATION-200-4-166MHZ-128MB-2G-CD-ROM-FDD-PB41A-AA-2-YEAR-WARRANTY-/230454718385?hash=item35a82befb1:m:mRPv4G7hfO53CRJYvKkPXng
hpmuseum.org/hp25.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's not vintage hardware OP that's just a through hole board. Why do you idiots think anything that isn't surface mount has to be vintage?

Reminds me of Profit

are you really dumb or just b8ing ?

That is an IBM XT clone. If that isn't vintage in your mind, perhaps you should expound on your definition thereof.

that looks like some radio thingy, lets keep it computer related

op didn't specify that, and Sup Forums isn't and never was computer-specific

the first smartphone?

i'm confused, is that a Ram module ?

whats that ?

boooooooooo

booooo at this bad nerd

they're bad

at being into technology

boo them

also moog

i donno but it cannot run craysis

it runs crayos

a cray supercomputer

cmi fairlight

youtu.be/T_onFO3XQsg?t=628

That keyboard is sexy

>intel
>sexy
Just scrap that piece of shit for gold.

I could run Crysis easily, just not in real time.

Ugh, generic 8088 motherboards, ugh.
I don't know why I dislike them, they were great though for modding.

Hey dude, gotta say, every time I see it it's even sexier.

Nice, a while ago I stumbled upon a XT clone for just a few bucks, with keyboard, monitor(mda), printer, been working on that.
Just finished replacing the Hercules card it had with a EGA one (what someone was selling for cents just laying in a box of scraps), supporting Hercules and CGA emulation, EGA monochrome and still can keep the nice green phosphor monitor.

It's a core memory module. Looks like a quad-height UNIBUS card from a PDP/11 or a VAX.

still waiting for someone to make a driver support for this

>All that hi-tech late '70s PDP/11 stuff
>Using a fucking Tektronix valve scope from the early '60s to probe it
Hipsters: Since 1976.

racist

>dat sneaky data strip on the top of that image

knowing Sup Forums I don't even want to know what kind of data that is.

I have a relevant question. Where does one get vintage hardware? I've always kind of wanted one of the original model thinkpads to play with, I thought I could find one cheap on eBay but I can't find them anywhere. They're not considered valuable are they?

Also, where could I get a monochrome dumb terminal like they used to use as thin clients for mainframes in the 70s? I don't know why but they make me kind of hard. Pic related

>fixing what isn't broke
most of that shit is ancient anyway, that PDP-11 is definitely early to mid '70s at least

Ahhh back when fark did not suck.

Where do you find those? I fucking love that green monochrome for some reason, but I can't find anywhere to buy them.

>Where does one get vintage hardware?

You missed the train.

>At this point most of them are scrapped

>you might find one for sale by a group of professional second hand "merchants" for an absolutely insane and idiotic price

>you won't find any for free or low price because aforementioned professional dealers INSTANTLY jump on every ad in the newspaper or ebay they find to buy it and sell it for profit

I once called some guy who sold an original IBM PC with EVERYTHING, keyboard, monitor, printer, working condition, clean for $50 and he said on the phone, annoyed and almost exhausted that faggot sellers began to call him at 4am in the morning and kept calling him if it's still available and he had to turn off the phone for two days.

as always, greed fucks up everything for everyone.

original, early thinkpads are extremely expensive if theyre working and come with all the extra shit
slightly less old ones like this one in the attached pic (that i forgot to keep bidding on) arent anywhere near as expensive, but give a similar experience

also, you can buy the terminal in your pic for a cool 500$
ebay.com/itm/252345620122

ebay is the best bet for vintage electronics, this kinda stuff is almost never on any other site

How does that make sense? I though they were produced on such a massive scale that they could never become scarce enough to be collectible. Didn't every corporation that was anything in the 70s have hundreds and hundreds of those dumb terminals like in my picture? I thought they were just too common to be valuable.

>I though they were produced on such a massive scale that they could never become scarce enough to be collectible.

They got scrapped just on the same massive scale.

A LONG TIME went by when no one cared about old computers and now they became "collectibles" when there are almost non left.
Probably also a reason why they became collectibles, duh.

thrift stores
recyclers
craigslist
old people
retrocomputing forums
ebay

the original 700/300 are not going to be cheap, other than the hoardes of gullible /tpg/ hipsters that will pay out the ass for meme cred, they are inherently pretty collectable, and very rare, thanks to being an expensive luxury when even regular computers were pretty pointless purchases for many

>where could I get a monochrome dumb terminal
really the only place you can source those cheaply anymore are from government/corporate liquidation auction hoarders who bought them by the palletload, dumb terminals were pretty much shoah'd with the death of traditional timesharing in the '90s and 2000s

otherwise be prepared to pay out the ass, I can't even source a keyboard for one of your pic for under $100, I fucking hate /mkg/tards for driving up keyboard prices so much

That's the problem. Companies just scrap entire fleets of computers/terminals whenever they get the new one in. Most of them even require a certificate saying that all the equipment was scrapped and can't be sold.

>even require a certificate saying that all the equipment was scrapped and can't be sold.

That's what enrages me the most.

People like me who enjoy vintage hardware and are not looking to make profit with those are majorly fucked by those evil shenanigans.

I knew I wasn't likely to get a hold of an original Thinkpad. My computer systems wing had one in a glass case with an old iMac and some other cheap everyday shit, I asked the instructor who put them there if we could turn it on and fuck around with it, and he laughed at me until he realized I was serious.

And I guess the /mkg/tards would say, "I fucking hate modern keyboard manufacturers for sucking so much donkey dick I have to buy old ones instead". I can understand wanting the quality.

If you're in this thread and live in Puget Sound, go here: livingcomputermuseum.org
If you don't live near Seattle, it's still worth the trip,if this is your kind of thing

That always pissed me off. Why do they do that?

I'm not asking rhetorically, I really want to know. What does the company gain from doing that? Destroying something that is worth money?

>at the local electronic trash admission place [only opened for a few ours in the week and secured like fuck]

>hey there, I saw that old keyboard [was an original model M] on the pile of that container
>mind if I take it? I have an old computer and were looking everywhere for that o-

>no, you can't take stuff from here.

>why?

>because we're not allowed to let stuff out, it's a legal thing. if you get electrocuted you could sue us.

>but it's just a keyboard I mean co-

>no. thank you, sir.

The funny thing is that the people that work in those places take whatever they want. They just go like "Let's see what we got today" at the end of the day and start putting things in their cars. T. My father has a friend who works in one of those places.

>People like me who enjoy vintage hardware and are not looking to make profit with those are majorly fucked by those evil shenanigans.
the great corporate leaders of the world aren't holding secret meetings at the legion of doom scheming on ways to fuck you out of your next ebin /bst/ bragging accessory, recycling is pretty much the only choice they have

as regrettable as it is, really, are you going to waste time and money individually selling off your terminal fleet every time you upgrade? you couldn't even pay people to take that shit in the '90s and early 2000s, in an age before the widespread availability of Linux or surplus Unix hardware, they were useless to all but hobbyists, and too fresh in peoples' memories to be in demand as nostalgic conversation pieces or cool collectibles

in the end, it was like being faced with a pallet of drab grey dell optiplexes today; too new to be collectable, too old for most peoples' interest, and really your only option would be to let some of your friends pick through and save a couple if you were even allowed to by corporate policy or state law, and then either donate them for a tax write-off or auction them in a lot

my real problem with /mkg/ types is that they really have no respect for the hardware, history, or other collectors, in their quest for a mildly nicer accessory for their hotted up gaming shitbox they drive the separation of complete setups to cater to them

and honestly, sometimes I wonder how many ATs and PS/2s have been lost to the model M crowd buying complete systems and tossing everything but the keyboard out of ignorance

I was just watching some of their videos the other day, that place is fucking neat, might be visiting this year
I wonder if this is the PDP-10 they offer public shell accounts on youtube.com/watch?v=_HMPulAqiTI

tl;dr of above: tax write-offs and not squandering their time trying to sell unsaleable shit

>ORIGINAL VINTAGE PC 1979 AMD!!!! VINTAGE!!!!!!!!!! RARE!!!!!!!!!!

>original packaged from an old pc shop liquidation
>bidding starts at $200

I fucking hate those greedy fucks. They always get the nicest shit.

Most of them even don't know shit about computers.
This one for example opened the PC and saw a chip with "AMD" and "1979" on it, so he made this ad about a PC "made in 1979".

try being in the market for Alpha boxes

ebay.com/itm/ALPHASTATION-200-4-166MHZ-128MB-2G-CD-ROM-FDD-PB41A-AA-2-YEAR-WARRANTY-/230454718385?hash=item35a82befb1:m:mRPv4G7hfO53CRJYvKkPXng

I was fascinated with CRAY computers when I was a kid, then I found out they were really outdated.
>Why live

I found out what kind of systems the Apollo Command Module used about 3 months ago. This must have been a bitch to make.

genius engineering doesn't waver with age

oh gee, a box

dat smell of an unused, over 3 decades old mainboard

>made in USSR
>Russian clone of Intel 8255

Now that is fucking dope.

>that soviet clone part hiding among the nip shit
I've been so rused softly for the last time.

>NO SMOKING in the datacenter

i like how they needed to specify back then. just give the drive a huge toke of that pipe sir im sure it finds it lovely

you'd think it was common sense but people were smoking fucking everywhere in offices and the like in the '60s and '70s

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

back then, everyone smoked pipes and wore fedoras non-ironically.

what is this

>tfw I see these occasionally at recyclers and thrift store backlots

it's kind of sad when you think of how much even collectors overlook printers, even though they were really as critical to computer productivity as much as the computer themselves

We still use these for project validation on our local town hall.

Regards, third worlder

>Black guy
>Cray

Kek

Remember when we were amazed at the amount of data we could fit in a 3.5 floppy? I barely do.

Apology for bad computer wisdom

How does this even work?

I don't think that was ever the case desu, that shit was never regarded as a high-capacity storage medium, just a convenient one

I just recently found a Ti 99/4a with a bunch of old cartridges. Trying to make a homemade tape drive adapter so I can write some BASIC programs.

Here's the box and some cartridges

I have a lot of 90s shit also if that counts

War story from a greybeard I work with. Got called out to Tacoma Screw because their machine (they only had one) wouldn't turn on, and it was their running monetary DB.
My guy heads over, sees this beautiful Western Electric/ATT 3B2 under a mountain of cig ash.
He sweeps it off, cracks open the case, blows it out with a compressor, and slaps it back together.
Comes up no problem.

nice
I've got the same system boxed as well, don't think it has any software though

>woman

would u let me fuck your mother?

The Charity Store near me has a HP-25 for 15 dollars, it only has the case and the calculator.

Worth buying? It's tempting to buy it and flip it for a profit.

that kind of reminds me of a time I responded to a craigslist ad for a Mac IIci about two or three years ago

when I arrived at the guy's house, he had a garage full of shit, most prominent were what seemed to be his daily drivers, a pair of partially melted Power Mac 7200/75s with matching, also melted monitors from years of being used as ash trays, it was some shit, the IIci I picked up was also yellow as fuck but not nearly as bad as those, I wish I got a shot of them, but I didn't think about it at the time

hpmuseum.org/hp25.htm

dunno if it's really worth bothering if you just want it to be a greedy little shit, but it seems cool nonetheless

What's truly beautiful about those early boards is that set of unused empty pads between two of the slots on the ISA bus, specifically put there for debugging purposes.

should be a pci sound card

>PCI
please nigga

For magnetic memory or USB mass storage over serial?

Anyone else in here bulk-watching The Computer Chronicles?

It's so wonderfully soothing.

Like coming home from a stressful day and everything is fine.

I am so tired

>It's tempting to buy it and flip it for a profit.

The problem is that you can't get toner/cartridges/ink etc for those printers anymore so they're pretty much inoperable now.

I just got an hp netserver e 30 a few days ago. Needs some cleaning, but the internals look fine! When I get it up and running I'll post some images. Around 20 years old at this point

>Worth buying? It's tempting to buy it and flip it for a profit.

You're what's wrong with this world.

And also the reason why we can't have nice things

What the fuck are you on about, user?