/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM
youtube.com/watch?v=6vpOHq8bkzA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kill yourself you fucking degenerate pedophile

Love you too, bro!

Audio technica or GTFO

I wonder why the big three do not include an ATH. . .

Audiotechnica is nice for soundstage but that's about it. The new X line isn't much of an improvement. There are some that even prefer the 40X over the 50X.

>excited to get new pairs of cans in the mail
>open to find cheetos

t-thanks sonic electronix

Are those the "edible" packing puffs?

Eat one, post results.

taste pretty stale tbqh

Not that I'm suggesting you try eating them. They taste like wax if they are edible.

Where's the picture of your new cans?

Looks like a pretty big box. I hope they aren't some IEMs with all that packing material.

They didn't send you the cans? Just a box full of popcorn?

>1 of 1

Just these humble and comfy ones. They really made the package much bigger than it had to be.

Funny thing to note is that the cheetos were only in the top half on the package so unless they were stacking grand pianos on top of the cans the puffs did literally nothing lmao

Noice. How do you like the sound?

Another night another /hpg/.

Definitely a big (health) improvement over the garbage earbuds I've had in the past. The neutral response shocked me at first because of how soft some of the lows and highs had become, but I'm pretty inexperienced with listening so I can't form an educated opinion yet. Orchestral stuff sounds a bit off.

$200

US

PC

Over

Open

Max

Jpop, kpop, EDM

What's something good for $20?

>Orchestral stuff sounds a bit off.
You'd probably be better off with an open set of cans over closed. Why'd you go closed?

You're look at cheap earbuds like the Piston 3 or KSC75. Filling out the form would be helpful but your options are pretty limited at that price point anyways.

What's good for $10?

>$10
>good
Pick one. You might try the EDR2 but chink shit is a risk between crap QC and knockoffs.

What's something good for $30?

Fill out the form.

HD598.

I admit for no good reason really. I plan to make these last forever so closed cans would fit my lifestyle more since I'm around people often.

What's something good for $70?

WTF? Do they not have vagisil in China?

What's something good for $45

TH02, Piston 3.

RPHJE120

E10

MK5, 7506.

Now, what's something good for $2000

>Now, what's something good for $2000
HD800S.

>that fucking webm
what the fuck

Why is wireless frowned upon?

What's something good for $9999?

Sennheiser HD202, MonopriceDJ.

What's something good for $2

Extra complexity, more shit to break, requires power, can suffer from interference, typically compromise sound quality due to compressing the source file and when it gets nearly as good as wired headphones it uses proprietary technology, all for extra cost.

Ether, Andromeda
009 with KGSSHV Carbon, KSE1500

>his """audiophile quality""" cables aren't dolphin veins rubbed with activated almonds

We generally suggest against such snake oil products.

Whatever you can pick up from the floor

what are the best headphones i can get from Best Buy, tryna use my discount famalaminos

What's something good for $16.78

AIDS

Shotgun mouthwash.

>009 instead of 007
trash
>KSE1500
trash

What's something good for $99.99

are these audiophile approved?

hahahahahaha

Beats Solo 2. Not even trolling.

>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.

Faggot OP of other thread spamming senses are tingling.

we dont get a great discount on beats, even still
>on-ear headphones

no thanx

Then you're fucked.
I guess Bose QC 25 if you carry those?

so does that mean you don't approve of my minions headphones?

we do have those and the QC35s which recently came out, get a bretty gud discount on those.

QC35s are 350 and around 240 with discount.

also we have some other stuff on our website i get a discount on, like sennheiser and audio technica

ATH-M50x goes from 169 to 129, for example

What's something good for $25?

The M50x seems like the better deal. See if they stock the 40x, same thing but cheaper.
What sennheiser models you carry?
I'm guessing it will be entry level shit

>ATH-M50x goes from 169 to 129, for example
Still overpriced while the XPT100 is around $100.

Yeah, I've pinned it down to the lack of soundstage that's making pretty much any song with live or orchestral elements sound lacking. It's definitely something to consider when picking open or closed cans. On the other hand music, particularly electronic, is no longer headache-inducing after 10 minutes, probably because of the neutral response?

Overall these headphones are still breddy gud. Closed and $80, and they do exactly what they claim to do.

>bright
>heavily colored
>only works with French music
It's shit.

Should be added to the wiki.

Yo /hpg/ I need some really simple stuff:
a cheap headphone for skype (at work) with decent audio quality for music (zoning out of office noise)

>pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM
>Budget
Some 40-50€, don't need audiophile gear
>Location
Italy/Europe
>Source
3-way jack (stereo + mic)
>Preferred type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
I'd prefer to be able to wear them for at least a couple of hours
>Preferred tonal balance
no preference
>Preferred music
All things instrumental, form classical to stoner metal to idm
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V150 (comfy, pretty old at this point)
Brainwavs beta & delta (decent cheap IEMs)
random cheap bluetooth gear for Teamspeak

Thanks in advance, /hpg/

What's something good for $3?

No wait, I also got Bluedio Hurricanes for black friday (since I didn't have a bluetooth set for the smatphone, I use them to listen to podcast on the commute sometimes)

Actually, if I can't find anythng, I can try that for skype.

How are the hurricanes?

so what if we make headphones digital instead of analog
so we can cut the middle man that is the dac and switch to entirely digital

What's something good for $650?

>so what if we make headphones digital instead of analog
How would you do that? Every driver for sound in both headphones and speakers use analog signal.

we have them, there's a pretty bad review of them though, but i wouldn't put much faith in a best buy customer review lmao, they're pretty dumb overall.

we don't actually carry sennheiser in-store, only online so i don't know every model, but we have some higher grade ones from Magnolia and some more consumer-grade ones. don't want to spend $500+ right now though so i'd probably look more in the consumer ones.

we put digital drivers

Why not put in unicorn horns too?

Decent for 30€ (black friday price)
They have incredible features at that price: buetooth, microsd-reader, fm-radio, and attachable cable, so you can listen to music even if the battery is dead.
They're decently comfortable
The buttons are fucked up if you use them for anything else than bluetooth.

The 52mm drivers give bass a good presence, but the overall quality is, well idk, not an audiophile and never had expensive gear, I think it's decent for 30€

tl;dr: decent for the price

They should have some new models by now, tho

How's sounds quality?
Vocals? Highs? Bass?

Please user, I need to know

I'm sorry bro, I just can't offer reliable advice.

Have this: it's both good (good enough for me) for a podcast and for the rare occasion when I have a joint and phase out with youtube.com/watch?v=6vpOHq8bkzA it gets me a fine trip

K702

>cans

> lots of people unironically say that bass is the most important thing in music
> lots of people deliberately choose warmth and veil over detail and clarity
> lots of people don't even wonder why the best headphones are somehow bright

Hopefully all these people will be happy to spend money to listen to sound walls.

>lots of people deliberately choose warmth and veil over detail and clarity
>implying the two are mutually exclusive

They are though. You can't have clarity and warmth in the same headphone.

> inb4 HD600
Error 404: Clarity Not Found

>They are though. You can't have clarity and warmth in the same headphone.
[citation needed]
At least you made your idiocy clear instead of an implication. You might as well claim you cannot have bass and clarity as well.

>At least you made your idiocy clear instead of an implication. You might as well claim you cannot have bass and clarity as well.
By definition, yes, you cannot. If you imply the contrary, you should review your definition of idiocy as well.

Do headphones have to be "for professionals" to be good? I just want something balanced that is meant for just listening. None of that DJ crap.

>By definition
By whose definition?

>Do headphones have to be "for professionals" to be good?
Usually headphones marketed as "for professionals" are just that, marketing.

*chirp**chirp*
*chirp**chirp*
That's what I thought. It seems you are functioning under some grave misconceptions. Let's just borrow the definition of the term warm from head-fi's glossary for describing a sound.
>Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs.

Clearly no contradiction to clarity based upon this definition. Nor is there in regards to bass, mid- and sub-bass included as they have their own clarity or "texture." For example, low clarity/resolution bass is bloated or muddy. You can have nice tight and textured bass, Etymotics are infamous for this, and some prefer that but you can have good impact as well as tight and textured bass, like say, since I went with Ety IEMs, with the MA750.

Every person having a slight knowledge of English vocabulary.

>my definition is everyone's definition!
If you cannot provide anything authoritative or at least can be plausibly construed as coming from more than just your personal opinion, I'm left to assume all you are going to do is argue in circles.

> taking head-fi glossary as a reliable source
Thanks for the laughs.

> excessive bass or mid-bass
> no contradiction with clarity here
Indeed.

It's true that any frequency has its own texture, but a warm/bassy sound signature covers lots of details elsewhere in the frequency range, then it can't be considered as a properly clean and clear sound.

Take an English dictionary and check it out by yourself.

>arguing in circles
Gods it almost hurts to be right so often.

It has more to do with thick-headed audiophiles clashing with novices stubbornly asking about things that don't have many good options. This is like the situation with active noise cancelling headphones, another feature that the wider market wants, but tend to be on poorly designed headphones.
Wireless audio itself isn't so bad. It doesn't have to be bad for acoustics either. The lack of good options tends to lead to a conflation of issues.

It doesn't belong in the OP.

Well I brushed off that marketing word when I got the sennheiser HD 25 which is one of the headphones recommended from one of the links and obviously wasn't for just listening for entertainment. The cord is long, the jack doesn't fit tightly to the phone and the printed materials was against using it for just listening to music.

>Wireless audio itself isn't so bad
Yes. Yes it is. All it does is make the personal audio experience worse in almost every way except convenience.

>source
>my ass

Would you like to address the problems with wireless brought up in

Well after waiting for ten minutes or so I'm going to assume you've got nothing.

Wireless headphones are less dependable due to the extra complexity. Less sturdy due having more shit to break. Less reliable due to power requirements and possible interference. Worse performing in regards to sound quality. Arguably less comfortable due to the extra weight. And worse price wise. All that for the convenience of not having a single wire.

Bump, plz