Sup /g

Sup /g
Looking for an opinion! I want to make a gaming battle station, but I have a low budget...
Here's what I came up with:
> MSI Z97 Gaming 3
> Intel i5-4690k
> G.Skill Aegis 2x8Gb
> MSI GTX 770 Twin Froze 2GB
> NOX Urano 750W
> Kingston SSDNow 120GB
> Unknown HDD storage at least 1GB
> case CooleMaster Stacker 810

Overall, I'm looking at 700$ as some parts will be bought from some friends.
Any thoughts? Sugestions on how to lower the price?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/gxDwrH/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate
pcpartpicker.com/product/k4dFf7/asus-motherboard-z170e
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/27e4c12214469f1599e8cf0ed6b7109730297a51a4594b9c4dd
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/15487e2219c8b86683e05d9901cc862713d25d8c31f36798b23
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2x8Gb
>MSI GTX 770 Twin Froze 2GB
How about 8GB RAM and wait for RX 480?

>dat cheapo power supply

say goodbye to all those components

throw the extra 20-30 bucks for a good PSU that you can keep and use for many years

Are 8GB ram enough?
Not a fan/or not knowledgeable enough for AMD

>Are 8GB ram enough?
Yes, it is.

199$

Well, what would you change?

dude, the rx480 has flagship card performance at $199 brand new. that deal is unbeatable, also there's going to be a lot of guys dumping their used 980's and 970's on reddit/ebay, so you could pick up a monster card for a reasonable price.

Asking Sup Forums for help at building a computer system dedicated to the usage of proprietary software, unbelievable.

get a better power supply, NOX isn't a very well documented brand so I wouldn't be surprised if it surges and roasts all of your components.

> MSI Z97 Gaming 3

fuck this gaymer shit. i have the gaming 5 but i realised how much i fucked up when i could have saved like £40 (~$60) by just buying a regular z97. killer ethernet ports and all that shit are fucking nothing and the inbuilt sound processor which is apparently meant to be so amazing is fucking trash.

> NOX Urano 750W

you'll never need a psu this powerful unless you're looking to sli, which is shit anyway. save money and buy a nice evga, xfx, seasonic 500w/550w

> MSI GTX 770 Twin Froze 2GB

just buy a 970 since they cut the price on it. it's still a very powerful card at 1080p. there are cheap 970's on ebay too.

> Kingston SSDNow 120GB

ssd's are a meme.
>b-but muh 20 seconds faster loading time
save that money and contribute it towards your gpu or a nice cpu cooler.

Finally some constructive criticism!

On that board, since you tested it, suggestions?
If itnwas now, what would you buy?

>On that board, since you tested it, suggestions?

it's not a bad mobo but it's not good either. it's equivalent to buying gaymur headphones which have an additional cost slapped on because of >muh gamer branding, if you get what i mean.

i'll go through everything they advertise:

>audio boost 2

it's fucking shit. i had to actually buy an oem soundcard because the mobo audio was really tinny and flat.

>usb audio power

this is just bullshit marketing. all your usb headphones will work fine on any mobo.

>killer! ethernet

more marketing garbage. i've noticed absolutely 0 difference between this ethernet port and the ethernet ports in my shitty laptop or my older motherboards. as long as your router is good, you'll have no problems.

>gaming device port

it'll give you no additional benefit to your games. it's literally just a couple of usb 3.0 ports painted red. your keyboard and mouse will work absolutely fine in any mobo usb port.

>If itnwas now, what would you buy?

i'd buy the cheapest z97 mobo from either asus, gigabyte or msi since they're generally solid. all these gaming mobo's are sold at premium prices but with very little additional features and most of the features are just shitty marketing like i explained above.

i'd probably get this

pcpartpicker.com/product/gxDwrH/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate

The cases nox sells are pretty decent, psu's not so much. I recently got an xfx ts 550w for a cousin, very solid and only a little over 60€

If you go with an rx480 you will have about twice the performance and you could go with a 450-500w power supply.

Not that user, but I have a question about your choice of mobo.

Would it work well if I'm going to use a 970 for now, and plan on upgrading to the 1080ti when it comes out? I'm currently thinking of buying this:

pcpartpicker.com/product/k4dFf7/asus-motherboard-z170e

But I'm unsure if it's what I should be going for with the 1080-tier build or not. Is it overkill for the price? Is the z97 perfectly fine with it?

yes, you can run a 1080ti on a z97 mobo. you can run it on an even older mobo if you wanted. the only difference between motherboards is cpu support. the z97 supports haswell/haswell refresh eg the 4960k and 4790k but the z1070 supports skylake eg 6600k and 6700k

So if I'm getting a 6600K, I should stick with the Z170 then, correct?

Woah, take it easy there OP. Every time you get the urge to build a "gaming PC" you should go read the 3 RULES carefully.

>rule #01
You don't have enough money to build a good gaming PC.

>#02
If you do, it's going to be outdated in a couple of years max because nvidia gimps the drivers of its old cards. AMD cards are even worse.

>#03
If you have so much spare dosh that you can afford to buy a $700 GPU every 18 months, you'll still end up disappointed because 90% of the games on steam are indie trash. The other 8% are F2P shit and the last 2% are terrible XB1 ports of Ubisoft garbage.

tl;dr get a decent notebook and a console and be happy, PC gaming is a fucking meme

Avoid that SSD, it's MUCH slower than any other SSD on the market. Kingston pulled a bait and switch by changing the NAND tech on the drives after launching them and getting rave reviews to much slower chips.

Yeah

Alright, will do then. Thanks user.

Can't wait to finally upgrade from this 660m laptop piece of shit.

>i dont know shit about computers: the post

only your first point is valid, everything else is bullshit, except nvidia gimping performance with drivers, they do that, but AMD doesnt.

Ssd are not a meme you dumb fuck.
>all other suggestions were good

Yeh make sure you get a ssd i recommend 240gb so you can fit windows and your programs on it no problem. Keep your steam library and downloads/personal files on a mechanical drive

This m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/27e4c12214469f1599e8cf0ed6b7109730297a51a4594b9c4dd
Or this? m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/15487e2219c8b86683e05d9901cc862713d25d8c31f36798b23

i3?

Waiting for the 480.
A 6500 would be too much. Would a 6400 be a good buy? 2.7GHz sounds like a joke...

>6400 @ 2.7ghz
But with a bit trouble it can be overclocked..