install freebsd

Welcome, I'm 3 days into Gentoo.

>screenshot

please

>actually running gentoo

nigga

>he fell for linux meme
wew

It's pretty cool, I wouldn't use it everyday, but why not try it out?

GNU + Linux is fucking fun. It is like a AAA video game for free and with so much content and replay ability you will never want another game again.

because I run superior Funtoo, DUH.
Since it's developed by drobbins AKA the guy who created Gentoo in the first place, Funtoo is the Realâ„¢ Gentoo now.

signed, dude from

>Installing Gentoo over Funtoo

Why

Systemd

Are you slow in the head boy? You use OpenRC on Funtoo you cuck ass.

op: i use openrc

Why are you here?

>Using genkernel

Might as well kill yourself

Why, because he isn't a masochist?

THIS.

I actually don't know the difference between Funtoo and Gentoo.
Sysemd can run on both?

Just curious, do you enjoy bondage? Do you like being chained up and hung from the ceiling with a ball gag in your mouth while being fucked in the ass?

My dude. Funtoo uses OpenRC. Besides, I bet you couldn't even give one valid critique of SystemD that you didn't see on Sup Forums.

>i7
>only 2GB RAM

Pleb!

>he fell for the "more than 2GiB of RAM" meme

>implying a _valid_ critique is nullified because it was disseminated on Sup Forums

systemd is a virus.

It's nullified because you don't know what you're talking about. Why is systemd a wirus? :)

hurr durr your VALID critique is nullified because I am tired of deflecting criticism
hurp durp witus ;3

Gentoo because hardened

No, Funtoo can't run systemd. On purpose.

>Funtoo overrides all udev virtuals to support only eudev as udev provider. This also implicitly blocks installing systemd or udev.
>However, sys-apps/systemd and sys-fs/udev are not masked, so attempt at installing either of them will result in hard-to-understand blockers. Furthermore, USE=systemd is not masked, so users can enable it and be confused by the resulting blockers.

Not an argument.

>being this stupid to not configure what your needs are

My needs were configured by the systemrescueCD.

Wow you're so smart you configured your kernel.

You can harden Funtoo.

funtoo.org/Generic_64
>funtoo-current hardened 2016-06-16

>I bet you couldn't even give one valid critique of SystemD that you didn't see on Sup Forums.

Were you trying to start an argument? You seem retarded. Go be stupid somewhere else.

It's funny, you still haven't in your own words explained what is bad about systemd. I'm still waiting. The only retard here is (You).

>I fell for the "more than 235MiB of RAM" meme

im installing Funtoo in a vm and if everything works out well ill install it on my laptop

is it relatively easy to set up a desktop after installation? im not the most Linux savy but i know you need to install xorg-server, a WM or DE, synaptic drivers etc (do those come bundled with the xorg package?)

You don't seem to realize I merely commented on your incredibly stupid wording for the ``bet''.

Take some time before posting to read your own drivel and make sure it doesn't seem retarded.

Also, you are obviously oblivious to the facts surrounding the malicious software.
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Perhaps check that website out for information Sup Forums has already chewed on.

You post like a fag and your shits all retarded.

Not even remotely an argument.

>i know you need to install
You only need to install what you want, and nothing more.

i want a working desktop environment though so i know i need to install that

Gentoo isn't bad to install but compiling every package you install is pure unabridged autism

IT's only bad when you're first setting up your system, after that it is more efficient to compile from source.

>more efficient to compile from source.
this is literally snake oil
gentoo users are the audiophiles of linux

>implying cable stands don't make it sound better

forgot pic

Autism aside, will i learn anything by installing gentoo?

>Cuo 2 Duo

Living the dream

By compiling from source you reduce the risk of dependency issues and compatibility issues

it is basically just copying and pasting commands

You will learn if you aren't a retarded Arch user like this guy and read what you are doing. Funtoo's guide is more generalized whereas the Gentoo handbook goes more in depth.

Can i work through the handbook as i go, or should i read the whole book before starting?

I installed gentoo you faggot
Sure it talks about the process but it doesn't teach much anything
hence the
>basically

Read the handbook at least 5 times and translate it at least 2 times to 3 different languages of your choosing, then you can Install Gentoo

work as you go
if not you will just end up rereading anyway
you need to copy commands from it

You could always try installing a VN first

>VN
Visual novel?

*VM, but tell me if you're able to do it on a VN too

Sure let me rip open ren py and install gentoo

Congrats you can copy and paste. I sad to hear you didn't learn anything.

no you are not, im on windows 10. thats the dark side.thats the worst side.thats the side that makes you wanna kill yourself and transform into the opposite gender.

Too much darkness im going home now

I feel so cool

>He actually installed Gentoo
>laughinggirls.jpg

It'll get better when you start understanding what all of that is

If you have a good cpu gentoo feels no different than any other OS since compiling is a non-issue.

and it's stable.

it's compiling

I meant what each individual string means

what do they mean?

Nigga I ain't explaining each individual flag

How long is this going to take

Depending on your machine, anywhere from about half an hour to several days.

im using two virtual cores (i5 3570k)

My very slightly overclocked i7-2700K can do "emerge -e world", which reinstalls everything (955 packages on my machine), in about five hours, I think. I did it recently and didn't time it, but it seemed to be in that neighborhood.

Based on the fact that you're compiling what will be some of the largest packages on your system, and working with what I think is less than half as much power as me, I'd guess that it'll be between an hour and a half and two hours. It's just a guess, though, and probably wrong.

All 4 of you fucktards didn't bother to read what you were replying to.

The reason for installing Gentoo over Funtoo is Gentoo supports systemd and Funtoo does not.

Why would you want systemd

THIS.

>pros
It's more powerful, you can achieve more in less time.
It performs better
It has more functions

>cons
You can't use cat directly on logs because they use a binary format

Wow

Wait until you go to boot and none of your partitions are recognized. Funtoo is amazing.

I would install gentoo if I wasn't such a poor fag. Compiling programs would probably kill my thinkpad.

Welcome! You will not regret choosing this path my son!

What model thinkpad do u have? I run gentoo on my x220 and it works great. You can also set up distcc and split up some of the compiling work amongst other comps on your network.

>using botnet
>ever
bruh.

editing /etc/boot.conf then running boot-update will be a quick fix for that

What's wrong with botnet?

x201, I am eventually going to build a PC one day but as of now I am stuck with this.

In /etc/portage/make.conf
INPUT_DEVICES="synaptic evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="What ever you got"

Will pull most of everything you need for xorg just select a profile for easy USE flag settings
eselect profile list

The manual makes this pretty straight forward

welp already fucked this up. glad i only installed in a VM

You didn't fuck up dude set that in make.conf
Then emerge a world update, search gentoo wiki for the cheat sheet on how to do a full world update.

would i not have to reinstall the packages to be specially configured for my hardware?

>in a VM
Install it on the metal bro. No risk no reward!

pros:
>faster boot time*
>can keep services available while they restart**
>???

cons:
>unnecessary complexity in fundamentally important OS components reduces stability and security
>requires significantly more resources
>configuration and use is slower, more complicated, and less well documented
>can't grep logs
>completely disregards unix philosophy, stifling user choice, shills are smug about it

*only matters if your machine ever shuts down and can't suspend or hibernate
**almost never matters

I intend to after getting the hang of things in teh vm

>performs better
define "better"

>has more functions
yes, by cannibalizing tools that should have been left alone. Overall zero functionality gain.

and then...
>a lot harder to customize and tune to my needs
>goes against the unix philosophy in general
i.e. no, just no.

should i install gentoo on my x200 thinkpad. I would like to try it out for Sup Forumspoints but im not so sure how well it can handle compiling

shouldn't be too bad if you configure make.conf properly

>tfw # emerge -avUD @world, right now because i updated my USE flags
>tfw i wrote a bash script that texts me on my phone when it's done compiling
>tfw relaxing on Sup Forums with fellow gentoomen until my computer texts me.
Feelsgentooman.jpg

Why do you use Gentoo over Funtoo