3tb hdd only shows up as 2tb

so i have this western digital 3tb drive, i was using my computer and accidentally unplugged my OS hdd while windows was still running (i had the case open and was looking at something inside the computer while it was running an accidentally unplugged the hdd while moving wire)
so the screen goes black and all i see is a mouse
i restart, everything is fine with my OS hdd but my secondary 3tb drive became raw, i couldn't access it
i recovered all my data off the 3tb drive with icarepro, then went to format i keep getting errors like:
"Windows was unable to complete the format"
in disk management i get a virtual disk manager error "The parameter is incorrect." i also get a similar error when using diskpart from an elevated command prompt

when i use my windows server 2008 recovery cd and run command prompt i can use diskpart to clean the disk, convert it to gpt, create a partition, and format it, but then when i run windows the drive still won't work

i can go into linux and format the drive and it will show up fine in both linux and windows but the drive only shows up as 2tb even though it's a 3tb drive

anyone have this problem before? i'm getting no where in windows trying to fix this.. i have a little bit of success formatting it in linux but i'm losing 1 tb, and it doesn't show up as 2 partitions (one that is 2tb and one that is 700+ gb) it just shows up as one partition that is 2048 gb

what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Ubuntu.

i have linux mint installed and i can format using disk and gparted but again the drive still only shows up as 2tb

Contact Western Digital for a new drive, say it was working fine and became defective upon restart or something. Same with happened to me with a 16 GB sandisk thumb drive. Randomly unplugged it one day and then all of a sudden it was now 11 MB (not GB) and empty. Contacted sandisk and they sent a new one.
Gl bro

Install Ubuntu.

>he fell for the 3 TiB meme

i have an ubuntu installation disk can i just run it from there and fix my problem?
what would i do differently than linux mint?

Could be a firmware issue. Check to see if there is a firmware update from WD you could apply. Otherwise, yeah, RMA, they have a pretty good warranty.

could be that your drive is formatted with mbr and not gpt. had the same issue with a 3tb drive because mbr can only use 2tb. you can probably fix that with a converting programm as i did

Try zeroing out the drive with DBAN, the directory structure might've gotten wiped out when your os was disconnected.

morons, fuck off

I used a Western digital diagnostic tool that wrote zeros to the entire drive, it took a long time like 2 days to do, will dban be any different?

Damn, you might want to RMA it if it keeps fucking up, sorry you went through writing 3TB of nothing, my 1TB barracuda takes fucking forever to overwrite itself, can't even imagine.

What converting program did you use?
I already have it set to gpt, I did that when initializing the disk in disk management and also by using "convert gpt" in diskpart

I feel like it's not recognizing the drive in bios as a 3 tb drive and that's why whatever I do it keeps showing up as 2tb

RTM already you lazy shit. They most likely sent you a mislabeled 2TB drive.
Stop trying to squeeze 3TB out of a 2TB drive. It's not going to happen.

you're probably using MBR, try GPT and see if it works then

>lazy shit
lol been trying everything to fix this
I've had the drive for a while and it worked fine before
Just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it

I will probably have to return it since nothing else works... was just hoping for a fix instead

If you get a new one, sell it right away and get the 5400rpm Red, it's fuckin industrial.

Fuck reds. They're that glorious mix of high price and rebranded blue with some firmware changes.

For just a few dollaridoos more you can get an HGST.

This.

Nvidia hard drives marked as WD.

Not sure if its the case here, but my 3tb seagate drive was only read as 2tb until I used their software that digitally split the drive into 2tb and 1tb and mounted them as drives B and D. I did not use this drive to hold my OS, this may or may not be possible. You may only be able to get 2tb out of the drive if you want to use it for your OS.

Western digital probably has a similar thing going on with their own software. It has something to do with windows not being able to comprehend storage sizes that large. If you're running linux you might be shit out of luck because they may or may not support their software on all platforms.

Look around for it.

Reformat it to MBR

>buy 4tb HDD
>its just 3.6tb

format as gpt, not mbr. Did the same thing

You got a Chinese drive.

I had, my HDD is dead now.

You must create partitions using GPT instead of MBR. MBR partition are limited to 2TB. howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

That's because Microsoft is dumb and uses the wrong display units when telling you drive capacity. Manufacturers say 4 TB as in 4x10^12, Microsoft measures TiB as in 4x2^40 and says it measured TB.