What is the best OS you've ever used, Sup Forums? What is the worst one?

What is the best OS you've ever used, Sup Forums? What is the worst one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ijRTCo3an8A
youtube.com/watch?v=oNXzMBA9VU4
youtube.com/watch?v=nDq9e4Qv2F8
niceme.me/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216641
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

windows 98 best windows vista worst

>98
Yes

>Vista
Clearly you never used ME.

Windows 10 Home is the best one I've used. Linux was total shit. Who in their right mind would want to waste hours in a command prompt when you can actually get work done.

XP - so comfy

ME - pic related ALL THE FUCKING TIME

Vista was pretty fucking bad.

Mistake Edition did have some blue screen issues and generally no real updates, but a fuck ton of vista computers were shipped with 0.5 - 1gb of ram which for people who dont use computers and know better is a fucking joke. the operating system itself takes up almost all of the 1gb pc. I mean fuck sake, they were so god damn desperate and knew vista was bad that they made a way to right click your usb and "use as ram" i mean come on m8 open your eyes

>having active desktop enabled in the first place
Costanza

>Best
2000 Professional

>Worst

>activated active desktop

Almost as bad as those people who used it to have animated GIFs as background which took like 90% of the cpu when "idling"

XP

crank your volume and close your eyes

remember

youtube.com/watch?v=ijRTCo3an8A

That's not how it's done

youtube.com/watch?v=oNXzMBA9VU4

The 2000 one was better desu.
youtube.com/watch?v=nDq9e4Qv2F8

I really liked 2000 and XP

On the other hand I've been dicking around with Mac OS 9 and rhapsody and have come to appreciate some aspects.

I really love my current setup of Ubuntu GNOME. It works so well.

>Best OS
OS X 10.9.4

>Worst OS
Windows 10

Not even joking

I used Win2k up to 2009 at least

In retrospect Win95 was pretty bad, but Vista was probaly the worst

>Best OS
Ubuntu 10.10
>Worst OS
Vista starter

>I used Win2k up to 2009 at least
Mah nigga. I completely skipped XP and went straight to 7. 2000 and 7 are the best Windows versions, everything after 7 went to absolute shit.

Windows 7 best
Windows me worst

Windows 98 = Best
Windows 8 = Worst

worst:
elementary os and windows me

best:
windows 8.1 and manjaro

worst would be win 8 best would be win 7 never had a problem with it.

I was young when my family computer had ME. I never knew this page was related, no wonder I saw this way too many times.

If you wanted anything other than bitmap images as the desktop background you had to enable it with pre-XP Windows.

best - none - i use both linux and windows because they both do things that other one cant - the key is to learn how to integrate them in your working environment

worst - anything that is too old to run any modern software - why would anyone in their own mind compare Windows 98 to Windows 7...

I could be wrong but even vista and 7 still converted them to bmp when putting them on the desktop

Vista and 7 converts everything to JPEG. Even images that are already in JPEG format.

Hi, Morgan.

98 > 2k > 3.11 > 10

7 > 2000=XP > 95 > 98 > 8 > Vista=ME > MS-DOS >>> 10

hey :)

thank you for filling in my gaps. i have to put ME higher than vista tho... i was at last able to game with fewer driver issues

Best OSL Windows XP, used that bitch even for a while after W7 came out, and still have 2 P4 PC's in my house running XP.

Worst OS: Windows Longhorn., i mean Vista.

Windows 95 on good hardware. Best

Windows Vista no anu hardware. Worse

Longhorn was actually awesome

>Best OS
Ubuntu 14.04.01

>Worst Os
Windows 2000 ME

Yeah, i remember having the beta of longhorn, or whatever the fuck it was. Was just a reskinned XP basically, until Microsoft decided to go in a completely different direction.

I actually used the longhorn beta for quite a while.

Best:
OSX 10.9

Worst:
Windows ME

>best
OS X Snow Leopard

>worst
Windows ME

>best
Manjaro (main os for quite some time)

>decent
Arch, Debian, Windows98, Windows7

>worst
Old ubuntu and fedora distros, many edgy linux distros, Windows 10

>Best
Windows 7

>Worst
OSX

Best: 98
Worst: 7

>best
OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

>worst
Lubuntu

Best: BeOS or Windows 2000

Worst: Windows 10. I got so sick of its shit I had to go back to Windows 7.

Android honeycomb

Best - Win 3.0/3.1/95/98SE/2000/XP & 7
(Never used Win 98 first release)

Worst - ME/Vista/10. Only good thing about ME was it had drivers for USB mass storage bult right in. But at the time those devices cost a lot and the storage was limited (64/128mb) so that feature was poorly touted.

Beos was the tits

God tier:
Win 2k, XP and 7

Decent tier:

Bad tier:
95, 8.1

Shit tier:
Vista, ME, 8 and 10

Best OS would be Linux-based operating systems, the worst one would be OS/2

>all of these people answering only Windows versions in here

Are you all fucking retarded or did you never, ever leave your OS comfort zone?

best: Win 7

worst: Win 98

Carlos?

QNX NT4 and Novell 3.12

Best: XP
Worst: Meme Edition

Looks like there are a bunch of kids in this thread. Someone please find an adult.

vista was fine after sp1. most people never really bothered to find out because they wanted to keep using xp forever anyway.

me was a horrendous piece of wretched shit for the entirety of it's existence. it was shit universally on every system i've ever used it on and nobody ever bothered to fix it.

Best: 7

Worst: GeOS

I've never experienced Me but I did have 2000 and I never experienced problems with it.
Was also able to play the games I wanted to play on it.
Though I've never been a big gamer.

Why do I only very rarely ever see 2000 mentioned any way?
Was it a snowflake OS?

best: el capitan or ubuntu 7.10
worst: w10

it was not marketed as a consumer version of windows

>not marketed as consumer version
>Still best choice for consumers

Win 7 for gaming
CentOS 6.8 for development

>Worst: Windows 10

t. a 13 year old

go ahead and call me a shill now because you don't know what a shit version of windows looks like.

>98 better than 2k
I love these threads because you can really tell who actually used a computer 15-20 years ago and who's just an underage faggot memeing

Win2k never caught on in home environments because a lot of games didn't work on it because they were written for DOS and not NT. It was also not actually a consumer version of Windows (which is what ME was supposed to be). By the time XP came out, it was also a piece of trash until the SP came around, after which it gained some rapid adoption. Not everyone played the game or used the software which relied on DOS anymore, and those who still did either found workarounds or could do emulation.

98SE or 98?

>By the time XP came out, it was also a piece of trash until the SP came around, after which it gained some rapid adoption

By this I mean that XP was a piece of shit until it was patched.

Where do I download a w98 official iso?

Why would you? It won't run on your machine anyway.

why not? it will not run in a thinkpad???

Just get ubuntu or something.

Why w98?

Imagine how fast win98 would be on an SSD these days. I remember running quake on a ramdrive and it was glorious! FYI kids ramdrives were a thing before you were born.

I like it.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:ef372c65ad0d078264dbdfc5f9a75bad9d4d14fc&dn=Windows%2098SE.rar&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.bittorrent.am%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fretracker.krs-ix.ru%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opentrackr.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fmgtracker.org%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.dler.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker1.wasabii.com.tw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fexplodie.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80

Isn't old ram still faster than a modern SSD?

>Imagine how fast win98
There are still ultra lightweight Linux distros to try out.

this was in 1999, when some people were still running DOS programs, windows 2000, being NT-based, has poor support for DOS programs

they were actually working on a consumer version anyway, codenamed Neptune

I haven't seen a comparison lately nor thought about it. THe older stuff 440BX days or older you would always have a North and South bridge and today on die memory controllers. There could be trade offs that might make that the case I don't know.

It wouldn't know what the fuck to do on an UEFI system
It can't handle USB particularly well, and you wouldn't have the drivers for the USB controller
Modern ACPI is going to be a clusterfuck on Win98
Addressing of large memory might be an issue
Probably won't know what to do with non-IDE data transfers such as SATA
Video drivers is going to be a absolute pain to find if not impossible
Speaking of drivers, all of your hardware will probably end up driverless

You're shilling wrong, Pajeet.
It's supposed to be awesome that windows finally has bash support, even though it's been cross platform since day 1.

True

Yay, Microsoft.

Best: XP
Worst: ME

Vista wasn't even close to the shit ME was. Also XP takes points when compared to 7 because low resource consumption,universally compatibility with every Windows program made, ability to run MS-DOS programs without Dos-Box and aesthetically pleasing visuals ( I'm not a fan of W7 design). Vista was the best regarding aesthetics though.

Been a windows faggot since 3.1 and only recently started using Ubuntu. I like it a lot, I can definitely see the up sides of being able to configure everything and having the power to delete what you want.

I have also been using my GFs old 2007 macbook with osx 10.7 and it's bretty gud. It feels a bit babby tier but migrating from HDD to SSD was a piece of piss. I wouldn't have thought apple would just let you stick the HDD in a usb enclosure and boot from it. I'd love for windows to be able to do that.

>best
Windows XP/7

>Worst
Vista

Gentoo>Windows 7>Arch>Windows XP>Windows 2000>Windows Vista>Ubuntu

>best
IRIX
>user-friendly as fuck
>breddy good UI
>useful pre-load applications
>excellent creativity-oriented software base (but barely any standard office software for obvious reasons, but that's what X forwarding is for)
>solid as fuck unless your SCSI chain is made of loose drives and duct tape
>way ahead of its time in many regards

>worst
Windows 3.x (+DOS)
>G A R B A G E interface that makes even 1280x1024 look like 640x480 and can't utilize higher color levels properly, if at all
>file system management through the graphical utility is absolute ass
>the program manager model is absolute ass
>driver installation and networking is a pain
>DOS, being DOS, is a shitty kludge

Best: Debian

Worst: Windows 10

Debian

niceme.me/

Best:
OpenSUSE, RHEL, W7

Worst:
MacOS, OS X

So glad I got out of the media production industry. Literally filled with brainless idiots who believe every single line of bullshit out of Apple marketing.

>while working at one place
>"PPC is the only way to go, x86 is antiquated shit that will be gone in 10 years"
>one week after apple abandons PPC
>"holy shit intel is amazing, apple does it again! gentlemen we are at the stepping stone of a revolution in computing, remember this day"
>meanwhile we're suffering daily crashes, systems shitting themselves for no reason, and having to drive 80+ miles to the nearest apple store because getting it serviced anywhere else will void the warranty on the $3000 system
>2 months after one such repair one of the systems just lets out a loud bang and starts to smoke up the entire room
>"IT" guy in charge of managing the office macs still defending how macs are better than "winblows" even though management and accounting who use windows never seem to have any of the issues we get

Apple should straight up release all their Mac and iProducts with built in cyanide gas release systems and do the world a favor.

best: OS X 10.4

worst: crunchbang

>smoke

that totally happened m8

>babby tier
>windows doesn't even have bash

>What is the best OS you've ever used, Sup Forums?
Windows 10

>What is the worst one?
Windows 10

ME

ME could barely have a 24 hour uptime without shitting the bed

98 actually crashed after a certain amount of uptime by design.

>BAbby's first SHell
lmao

All my OS installations have the look and feel of Win2000.

>by design.
Wat?

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/216641

10.6.8 was so awesome!
Recently tried newer versions, wtf has Apple done wtf