/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

Stupid Question Thread

Don't know how to install gentoo? Ask here, don't be an idiot and make your own thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/567
github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1337
armbian.com/
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#sp
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104444
itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpg-inventory/id879162459?mt=8
pcpartpicker.com/list/8BZMpb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are some good websites to learn programming?

I like programming-motherfucker.com.It has some really good reads.

Lightweight software for practical webcam applications, such as taking photos, recording video? I can't find anything on the installgentoo wiki for webcam software.

I want to root and install cyanogenmod on a galaxy Y duos, but I can't get access to its microsd card from a computer, how can I root it and then do the rest?

Do cover letters actually matter when applying to tech (specifically programming) jobs?

Why does my mouse cursor look retarded?

update your graphics drivers and hope for the best

How do you manage your photos in organization? I just imported a thousand images from my phone and am clueless on where to start.

Because MPC-CH already does all that.
Go to file->open device.
Or press ctrl+v.
To capture image press alt+i

If the graphics driver doesn't work, try going into mouse & touchpad settings>additional mouse options>pointers and click Browse... and select one of the arrows.

thanks, this is awesome. cool name by the way.

Its Alexander in english.
thanks tho

Used to be an old AMD driver issue for me.
Back when I had my 4870x2, and when I first got my 7970.
Pretty much this.
Update them Drivers.

Hey Sup Forums i have a very unique problem. Windows 10 just freezes and i have to restart my computer to use it again.

I think the problem is my mobo in some way, like I don't have the configuration quite right (UEFI), I've already tested or replaced every other piece of hardware. Check disk comes up clean, Temps, voltages should be good.

I have the latest BIOS version and have all my drivers up to date. I have even RMA'ed my mobo and yet I still have this issue. I've searched around with others for my problem and there are no solutions.

I was able to stave of the problem by changing the amount of memory the onboard graphics but that has stopped working

It could be the processor, but I did run the intel diagnostic and it turned out fine.

Also by luck I do have a compatible processor that I found in the trash at work. No idea if it could just make my system worse though.

Another idea I had is that it could be related to the temperature. Last year i RMA'ed my board around this time because it was happening a bunch. It has only happened a lot during the summer and fine during the other months.

Most times they will ask for what they want, or you should ask before you interview or send your resume in the first place. I think a thank you note post interview may be the most important.

Code academy

Could defective internet cables (the ones outside) affect my connection intermittently to some sites meanwhile some others works?

Only one of the displayport ports on my graphics card works. Before I send it back, I just want to make sure that it's broken and not some stupid feature like the first displayport port is the only one turned on by default and the others only work when connecting multiple displays.

Is there a way to backup stuff directly to FTP server using CLI?

No, if the cables work for some sites they would work for all the sites.

Test it with another cable. It think it is fairly common for them to wear out. It happened to me with a gigabyte card. Also check the reviews to see if other people have had the problem. If you have 2 display ports can't you just use the other one? check the Driver suite about the connections.

I tried it with another monitor using a different cable and got the same problem. I've had this card for a few days so I think I just got a defective unit.

I can't view my Keyboard applet on the panel in Linux mint 17, despite it being active, there is no icon to click. (pic related)

Searching online I believe people have ran into the same problem but I still don't quite understand it. Was wondering if you guys could clue me in on this stupid issue.

github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/567

github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1337

So could it be a DNS problem? I'm sorry I don't really know to much of this stuff but DNS service it's something that my ISP manages right?

how do I get laid?

I don't plan on overclocking my machine ever.

Is there a problem if I install a Corsair Hydro Series H100i for aesthetics, rather than having a stock cooler?

I'm having trouble setting up iMessage on an old iPhone 4s. Ios is updated to most recent version and everything is verified. I'm using the phone as an iPod touch, but I have wifi. For whatever reason imessage is stuck on "waiting for activation"

shotwell is great

No, not at all. You can probably get away with a smaller/cheaper water cooler like the Corsair H60.

Something is off with your icloud account

But I should add it depends on your processor. Skylake is pretty darned efficient and temperatures won't be a problem on most coolers. If you have an AMD processor or an older Intel one, I'd get the H110i over the H60.

Yeah man just send it back. Companies will just send you a new card without caring if it actually defective or not.

Yea it could. A DNS is like a phonebook of websites, but your browser might tell you that.
Try using a vpn or a proxy.

Leave and don't comback

I would recommend it, easier to clean and you don't have to ever really about temps

That was my assumption, but here's the thing. the phone was my friends. he now has the 6 and uses it just fine, I'm on his account to use his iTunes and the like. Everything else iCloud and appleid works but imesaage

You should always send a cover letter unless the job application specifically instructs you not to.

If I was to buy a GeForce GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming 8GB Edition (is this the best gpu today?), would it be okay for it to work with a cheaper motherboard, say an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Socket LGA1151?

Or would it be better to get a motherboard that is a bit more bang, like a Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Socket LGA1151?

Can I crossfire rx 480 with r9 390?

>is this the best gpu today?
it is today. In a few month it will not since AMD will release the vega line.
And if you look at the price, the performances, the temps, I'm not sure this GPU is worth. But that's a point of view thus. buy whatever you want.

>say an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Socket LGA1151?
yes it will

Talk to girls, don't be an asshole and maybe you'll find a nice girl.

I don't think the motherboard would have an impact on performance as long as it supports all the parts that don't bottleneck your GPU.

NO!

:C

how do I get rc.config to run root commands?

Need font recommendations for linux and my browser (chromium), serif, sans-serif fonts and monospaced. I'll use them for the browser and the system including the terminal.

How to use ASCII in a password? The Internet company came and updated the firmware of my modem. The old WiFi password was like "this is my password" and when I try to set it up again it won't accept it, but it will accept "thisismypassword". The error says that I gotta use "between 8 and 64 ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal digits", so I figured that there should be a way to represent the spaces as ASCII characters, something like "this[Alt+32]is[Alt+32]my[Alt+32]password", But what is the correct syntax?

I was going to install my scythe heatsink today but a few screws and bolts seem to have disappeared in storage.

Can you guys please take a look at these and tell me if replacements are available for purchase somewhere.

I'd rather not buy a whole new heatsink just because a few screws are missing.

I am completely new to networking / webdev and wish to learn. I am thinking about renting a server and making a shitty blog as a first project.

Once I rent, do I have to make a contract with another company to have a domain name?

What are the steps between me uploading the files to the server and me accessing my blog via a web browser?

you just have to buy a domain name (and rent a server if you don't want to host it yourself).
If you rent a server you'll be able to put your files using FTP and they should provide a client (probably web based) if you have a database.
It isn't confusing, don't worry too much. It's easy.

do somebody have the image with wrong dicks on server?

was running a VN, saw this and it reminded of that image, but I can't find anywhere

Is one of those raspberry pi's my cheapest/best option for a decent quality media player/emulator machine to hook up to my tv?

How do I change the logo color that screenfetch spits out?

I know how to change the terminal background color and text color using Profiles, but I can't remember how to change the color used for the logo ASCII.

For sex:

Go to college town.

Find house party.

Go in.

Ask if you can party (they always always say yes)

If there are lots of black people find another party because the police WILL be showing up.

Find and talk to drunk girls. You should be able to tell within 10 minutes or so if they are down, if not then move on to the next girl. Don't be too obvious because you will catch flak from alpha-chads

Get laid.

Tip: don't get drunk, but drink (+2 Charisma and Whiskey Dick perk)

Tip 2: wrap it up because you are NOT the first guy they have been with

I have attempted this 3 times and gotten laid each time. The sex feels okay but those hookups lead to uncomfortable situations. You are better off talking to girls and being yourself and eventually finding someone who can tolerate you and will let you play with her tits all night as you have deep conversations. Thats the best feel, man. Good luck to you.

Thanks. Id host it myself but I can't : I'm in a dorm and I get my internet via a wired connection in my room.

So first step is renting a server and upload my files there using FTP.
Then I go to a domain name company and ask to link the IP address provided by the server company to some domain name of my choice.

Did I miss something?

Why would one ever install Gentoo faggotry?

Usually the companies that sells the domain name also rent servers.
Check what OVH have to offer.

(cont from last thread)
We don't have much concrete info on the rx 480 yet, and the leaks are all over the place. My gut assumption is that the rx 480 would be ok for 1440p 60fps *right now*, but you might have to turn down some settings in some games to achieve that and it won't be as future proof as the 1070.

As far as Zen goes, if it performs at least as well as a Skylake i5 then you'll be good. But again, we'll have to wait to get any concrete information on its performance.

Good case that supports 200mm fans?

the 700M limit refers to the CD-ROM standard, 80min of CD-DA audio is actually 827MiB, CD-ROM has a lower limit due to the requirement of additional ECC to protect the data, however, even with that you can store more than 80 minutes of high quality audio in 700M of space with modern codecs

oh, worth noting you can forgo the additional ECC in cd-rom mode to store more data on a CD, such a disc won't be able to handle as much damage as a normal cd-rom disc though

It you want better distro, hardware supprort (usb slave/gpio/shields), manuals and community go for original raspberry.
If you want cheaper and more powerful thing to run generic server/media software - look for orangepi on aliexpress and run armbian.com/ on it.

What's the advantage of making a Library in PHP? I wrote an extremely important class site wide, and to use it I include the file and the initialize the class. Did I make a mistake doing it wrong? Is it worth the effort to turn it into some sort of Library?

I'm going to buy a chromebook for 200$ or less. Is there any difference between brands/models at this price point?

Other than choosing the correct type of RAM (DDR2 or DDR3 for example) voltage and speed, what else do I need to know to determine whether or not my motherboard supports a specific RAM stick?

More specifically, I have this motherboard:

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#sp

And I'm looking into this for RAM

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104444

anyone know a good language or framework to quickly implement a P&P-style "item shop" system into a simple graphical interface?
Say, I'd like to purchase a 500 credit "sword"; a click of the button corresponding to this entity purchases 1 sword, deducting 500 credits from my balance.
Removing the sword will not refund any value. In this way, it's like an inventory.
My experience with coding is four years of scattered knowledge with LUA. I have never written a standalone program.
if something like this exists already then tell me, I've looked everywhere. would spare me some work.

Guys!, Tinywall fucks with my home network even when it's -apparently- properly configured. Is there another decent open source firewall you guys recommend?

Pfsence

something very similar to this.
itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpg-inventory/id879162459?mt=8

So guys last year I got a gtx 960 very cheap by my countries prices and it's about time I put it to use

help me make a build

the motherboard and ram you linked are compatible.

anyone?

Sounds like a temperature problem to me. Don't keep your tower in a enclosed space, Do cable management if you haven't already. And make sure your airflow is nice
> Front and bottom intake
> Back and top exhausts

Lastly get a can of air and clean out all you fans if you haven't already

Thanks bruv

Is the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wireless adapter any good? Seems to coming out of stock.

thank you

Can someone explain the Intel sockets to me?
I'm getting bored and feel like building another PC soon, For financial reasons I have always ran AMD CPU's. I want to try an Intel build this time but they have like 15 different sockets on the market right now.

Which would you go with for an enthusiast build?

Temps are always like this. Fans are set up correctly and it gets cleaned.

I got a laptop with intel hd 3000 and radeon 6770 hd. When I open overwatch settings it says intel at the top. When I open speccy radeon is like 90 degree or some shit. Which one is being used? Also I noticed when I right click the desktop the drivers wont show like they used to, never really noticed they were removed. Where can I find radeon 6770 drivers?

How fucked would this be? Is it worth it to bump the case up to the R5?

I fucking dusted my GPU and now my display and USB don't work.

When I unplug the GPU the USB ports work, is it broken?

I have a LGA 1150 Intel Z87 motherboard that needs a cpu

What's the best "bang for your buck cpu" I can get to replace my fx-8350?

Are there any cheap xeons that work? I remember the old 771 to 775 pin mod

Thank you for your time.

Hello, fellas. It's been some years since I've used Wangblows, been switching distros non stop recently. The ones I liked the most were Debian and OpenSUSE. But since my computer is pretty shit, I'd like something extremely minimal, but I still want to get shit done.
So I have two stupid questions:
1-
I never wandered into the netinst world, is there a good guide for a minimal bloat installation for, let's say, Debian? I don't want anything grand in this shit, just have a system that won't crash and maybe one or another game with WINE. I'd rather have a DE, but if there is a good enough guide, I could tinker with WMs and shit.

2-
I'm thinking of installing a W10 partition as well. I don't think I'll use it as much as I'm expecting, but well, I don't have shit to do in this weekend. I format some computers for neighbors and just use some shit Windows activator like KMSpico, is it recommended? Which way is the less bloated way for having my fresh W10 install? Also, can I have some "no botnet" guides for W10?

It kind of became more than two questions, but whatever. Many thanks in advance.

I5 4460

>(the ones outside)

So the problem isn't inside your home, you've tried replacing your modem/router and internal wiring?

Contact your ISP, tell them you're getting no connectivity to certain sites.

Also, just saw some people talking about BunsenLabs. What's the difference? Is it worth it?

Would daisy chaining monitors with displayport work if the first connection wasn't displayport? Ex: [computer] - HDMI or DVI cable -> [monitor 1] - displayport 1.2 cable -> [monitor 2]

Bump pls
This can't be that difficult of a question

Yeah they changed the modem/router today and the problem persist. It's really weird for example: if i'm using speedtest and the internet cuts, I still can test my speed but if I choose a different server it says "timed out". It's like only established connections works but not new connections. Another example if I'm watching a youtube video it will keep loading but if a try to open another tab it will not work.

Oh and the only way to solve this it's to restart the modem.

1080 to 4k upscaling, how is it achieved?

libreoffice/excel question. if i have a row of 1 million urls, and I wanted to remove certain tlds that I don't care about (lets say every .cn), how would I purge these from the list?

My psu is a CX 750, will it be enough to handle my rig or should I go higher?
What upgrades should I plan for in the next few years?

edge detection and sharpening/vectorizing

750 watts would be enough for a second GPU
I wouldn't recommend getting a second GPU though because 970 SLI is shit

I'm getting this message when I start MOC

The valid values of 'Layout1' have changed; please read the comments for this option in the supplied config.example file and update your own configuration file accordingly.

In the config file Layout1 = "directory:0,0,50%,100% playlist:50%,0,50%,100% "

Google has been no help and I'm not sure what this error means, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should I just water cool this build?
Any other suggestions?
pcpartpicker.com/list/8BZMpb

>inb4 32gb ram
This build is for Maya work and vidya

Is there anything I can do with an extra GPU?

I have a 980 right now, but I have a 960 and a 550 ti laying around.

I have a 750 watt bronze psu

There is little benifit in real world applications for sli. No one optimizes for sli setups,no game dev is even considering it. Out side of the snow flake picked benchmarks, it provides nothing

You could if you want

>WD Green
>Founders edition
>Falling for the blu-ray meme

Founder's Edition is just a placeholder, I'm buying an FTW
I need the drive for rips
I don't know why I chose the green

Are the benefits worth an extra 70 dollars for a water cooler? I've never built one with it.

Why can't you get access to the phone via computer?

Closed loop coolers give good performance if you get a 240mm or 280mm
120mm coolers are a waste of time

I don't know, it gets me nothing. The phone doesn't show the "connect USB" android thing that allows me to transfer files, and Win 7 64 is not recognizing the y duos. Also I can transfer with other samsung phone, so I'm not sure

You used to be able to hook up the extra one for physx processing, but I don't know if that's even needed now.

Sell them