/hsg/ Home Server General

OP Template? Edition
Shitty Plebian Rack Edition

Reccomendations on a FOSS Hypervisor solution? I've heard proxmox is ok, but I've also heard it's shit.
>inb4 wangblows server

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/comtrend/ar5387un
wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Home_server
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ITT autistic weeaboo hoarders

all my storage is on my desktop
I wish I had $10k to drop on a backblaze unit

and what are you using this setup for?

Use vSphere, freetard.

>Reccomendations on a FOSS Hypervisor solution?

Stop hipstering and just use ESXi or Hyper-V

Proxmox is good.
The only down side is that you'll basically be on debian testing for proxmox's package side of things.
Debian's packages will be on stable.

It good and infact my work place is replacing ESXi with Proxmox.
Proxmox just takes like 2 minutes longer to set up as you need to switch the packages over to the non subscription branch and its a good idea to install openvswitch.

What features does Proxmox have that free ESXi does not?

The fact that if you want to move VMs around, regardless if you pay for ESXi, is that the host on ESXi can't do much.

Also, ESXi charges a shit load more than proxmox if you want to pay for it.

Another thing to consider is that Proxmox clustering is much nicer than ESXi's and provides a nicer UI to ESXi.

Pretty sure that ESXi free also limits you to certain resources where as Proxmox doesn't but just gives you slightly not yet stable release packages.

Runs proxmox and used to do a lot and now it really doesnt do anything aside from being my backup server. I may upgrade it later and try to think of more projects but atm its just really stupid small things. Im up for suggestions on what would be cool projects though

Every time I see these threads it makes me simile seeing plebs with pretty much empty tracks containing mostly switches. Waste of space, waste of electricity.

nice opinion, really good to see a faggot just being a faggot with no hobby, who likes to shit post and dish out crap at others' hobbies.

Kill yourself.

where? i'm not seeing them

vSphere is $200/year for home lab use for everything shown in pic related

Meanwhile Proxmox is free to use, just without support.

ESXi is a pain because moving VMs or doing anything on the host, not the VMs, is slow as shit.

Also USD is kinda expensive for everyone except for people in the US.

>ESXi is a pain because moving VMs or doing anything on the host, not the VMs, is slow as shit.
No it isn't.

yes it is, the host is limited when you upload to it.

???
What are you talking about? Are you doing vMotion on 1G or something?

take a vmdk and try to move to the host via vSphere.
its taken 4+ hrs to move a 50GB vmdk VM disk

Something is wrong with your shit, senpai. I don't have any issues like that.

client to host, not host to host.

Yea, I know. Datastore uploads. Your shit is fucked, I don't have any issue. I can upload at 1Gbps from my workstation to a host.

Proxmox never has this issue but then again, this happened on 3 machines that I have since made into proxmox hosts.

Not to mention that openvswitch bonds are fucking god sends.

the g5 basically just runs game servers right now

I'll be switching it over to proxmox at some point

hi reno

>work for a fortune 500 as a sysadmin
>they dont even have tech this good
>pent3 backups and most equipment is ibm 1U's that are 1st gen circa 2003
>MFW Oracle, Cisco, Lenovo, and Toshiba are partnered with us and we sell high volumes of products to clients using brand new shit.

Top to Bottom inside rack:

-2x Intel NUC
CPU: Core i3 5010U
RAM: 16GB
Function: set up as ESX HA cluster

-Router, Ubiquity EdgeMax Pro

-Switch 1, Quanta LB4M (48port 1Gbps, 2port 10Gbps)

-Switch 2, Arista 7124SX (24port 10Gbps)

-Server 1, Supermicro 1U
CPU: Core i3
RAM: 16GB ECC
SSD: 4x 1TB 850 Pro RAID 10
NIC: 2x10Gbit
Function: Datastore for vritualization

-Server 2, Supermicro 2U (Twin server, 2 nodes)
-Node 1:
CPU: 2x Intel XEON E5-2650v2 8 Core HT
RAM: 128GB ECC
Storage: ESX on USB
NIC: 4x10Gbit + 6x1Gbit
Function: ESXi Virtualization server

-Node 2:
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2609v2
RAM: 32GB ECC
SSD: 2x 512GB 850 Pro RAID 1
RAID CARD: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9286 8e SGL 8 + LSIiBBU09
NIC: 2x10Gbit + 2x1Gbit
Function: Storage server, RAID card is connected to the 4U JBOD underneath it.

-JBOD, Supermicro 4U
CASE: SC847 E16-RJBOD1
HDD: 37x 4TB RAID 60

-Old norco case storage machine
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 24GB
SSD: 1x 128GB
HDD: currently 8x 2TB
NIC: 2x10Gbit
Function: Test server for storage stuff

-DL160G6
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon L5520
RAM: 32GB
HDD: 4x 1TB RAID 10
Function: Test server.

-750VA UPS for switches and router.

-1500VA UPS for NUC's, SAN and JBOD

-1500VA UPS for Twin server.

(norco and HP not on UPS as they are almost never on)

I am having a hell of a time with a SFF-8643 to SFF-8088 not detecting on my LSI 9206-16e, not sure if I have a bad card, or bad cables, I don't have any SFF-8643 to anything else to see if the card is being a pos.

Never had that issue, but I have always had good results from LSI support so I'd recommend contacting them.

so what are this things for?
what do you guys host?

so? do they do the job?

Its pretty infuriating, I already know what LSI is going to say "Are you using our 150 dollar cables?"... That being said going to send the card back to the seller, try my luck with a 2nd one. I love my MegaRaid 9265-8i, just need this HBA for my storage spaces.

No u

your internet connection looks suspiciously like a plant pot
this problem is specific to your set up - my guess would be that you're using the same physical nic for management, vmotion and regular vm traffic. don't do that. also why do you have an on-host datastore?

Dutch LSI support never took that tone with me.

Proxmox be crazy good. FOSS edition gets you all the goodies except subscription updates, but who gives a shit.

> Store your VM images on a SAN
> Raw LUN
> HA set up p good
> Instamove VM from host to host.

Price: $0

how does vm performance compare to esxi?

It's just kvm. So it's great. Now exactly sure how it compares, but I'd wager the difference is insignificant, if present at all.

can somebody explain what's the point of home server?

friendly bump

here you go
I at least have the excuse that I'm going for my CCNP

Pleb homeserver used for plex and automatic torrenting.

>your internet connection looks suspiciously like a plant pot
It's behind it

>home fire hazard general

never had a server catch fire..

>Not doing annual PAT testing

From top to bottom..

Netmaworkin'
-Quanta LB4M (48x1Gbs, 2x10Gbps SFP+)
-pFsense router, Intel 4x1Gb

Server 1 & 2
-Dual X5650 6 cores
-48 GB ECC
-2x136GB, 15k OS drive raid 1, 4x136GB 15k Raid 5
-HP NC522SFP Dual 10Gb SFP+
-4x1Gb Broadcom
Function: HyperV Hosts, forming HyperV cluster

Server 3
-Dual E5506 Xeons
-16 GB ECC
-2x136GB 10k OS drive raid 1
-Intel X520-DA2 dual 10Gbps SFP+
-LSI 9206-16e HBA (being a pos atm)
Function: iSCSI server, acts as SAN

JBOD, Supermicro 4U
Case: SC846
HDD: 4x3TB 7.2k sata, 4x2TB 7.2k sata, 8x1TB 7.2k dp SAS, 2x300GB 15k dp SAS
(muh storage spaces)

JBOD, Supermicro 2U
Case: SC216
HDD: 10x300GB 10k SAS dp, 2x250GB SSD, 1x500 GB SSD

Cute dog
>I miss mine ;_;

HP Microserver Gen8

Celeron version, upgraded to 8gb Ram with 4 x 2tb Drives.

Used for auto Torrenting, Plex, auto PC and Phone backups and photo storage.

This shits way too power hungry. Shit would ramp the bill up hardcore.

Hi Sup Forumsuys. I'm trying to start myself in this topic, but I'm facing a problem. I don't know what I need.

I mean in basic terms, I think I know what I need, but I don't know what it is a must in terms of security. I'm trying to put right an old router.

Beside firewall, what are musts? Wifi not working on custom router.

Post your specs of that "old router".
Firewall, can be any old piece of computer/router if your internet speeds are low.

Here you go mate.

>wiki.openwrt.org/toh/comtrend/ar5387un

What I'm trying to do is to get a custom net on my house, for fun and for learning. And maybe will try to puto OpenVPN or something like that.

Meh.

Dell PE T620 (2x 2660, 192GB RAM, 2x 128GB SSD (OS), 4x 500GB SSD (Storage Spaces), 12x 4TB HDD (Storage Spaces)

Server 2012 R2 DC - Running storage spaces, ~30VM's (AVMA is win), 4 DC's, 2 NS, 2 DHCP, 4 Exchange, dirsync, ADFS, SQL, SharePoint, Team Foundation Server, SCCM/SCOM, Plex (8 cores, 8GB RAM, elevated priority, 24TB storage), few other test VM's.

Switch is a Dell X1018P. 16 port PoE GIG-E managed. Management, VoIP, and LAN vlan's.

SCOM monitors the switch and disk queues.

Router is actually not bad, only thing is that you will need to use a usb drive as exroot to compensate for the 16mb internal flash if you for example want to install openvpn packages.

wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

It will work as a firewall + dhcp/dns easily.
To bad about the eeprom less BCM43225 wifi chip tho.

Well, I'm not really interested in Wifi, so maybe it won't be a bad thing. As I tried to understand, it seems like with Chaos Calmer I already have firewall and dhcp/dns. Should I try to put it up and connecting a machine to reach internet? Router is connected to an ISP router.

Apparently this nigger can't read HOME SERVER GENERAL, I mean seriously wtf? What kind of jack ass even if this is a "lab" has 4 DC, ? Wouldn't be surprised if you went full aspie and put in the entire System Center suite.

Except that I've ran a few of the hsg's, and am running a single server.

And apparently you can't read either... SCCM/ SCOM = System Center...

A router. A Cisco endpoint for my home phone. And a Pi for Pihole and a proxy.

Hectic setup. Soon I'll even add a NAS to my router.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong. Make sure you have backups of the original firmware tho

Ok, that will be mi goal this days. Thanks user.

>Can't convince CTO/CFO of the value of upgrading your shit.
Shit sysadmin imotbh

Hey, how do you like the supermicro? Is the remote management ipmi thing any good?

Is there a wiki for this general? I wanted get started making a server.

Of course
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Home_server

Thanks bro.

I can read, I said the entire suit just not ops manager you aspie.

They're JBOD enclosures, so no IPMI.

Why? What is the point of all this? I work from home, and a Synology is all I ever need. What does one do that they need this?

>muh uptime

esxi is picky as hell hardware wise

2011 Thailand Floods, RIP HDD PRODUCTION

> Being this ass mad
> Literate
Are you sure?

nigga you aspie

> 2016, not using Docker + Reverse proxy to build all your services

WTF

you're a reverse proxy to gay

OS - Windows Home Server 2011
Function - DHCP/DNS/VPN/FTP/Streaming Media/File Server

Ram - 4GB Kingston DDR
CPU - Opteron-170 2.0Ghz
DVD-RW Drive
Motherboard - Foxconn winfast 6150
HDD x 9 -
1. 1TB Seagate (60GB OS Drive.Rest for Data)
2. 2x2TB Raid-1 Seagate (Movies/Music/E-Books)
3. 4x2TB Raid-10 (Data Archive)
4. 500GB Seagate (User Folders/FTP site folder)
5. 320GB Seagate (Backup drive for Laptop user docs and Server OS image)

Everything gets backed up to the small nas unit in front (8TB). The gray dell pc don't really do anything anymore. Used to be a dedicated game server box. WHS 2011 has been solid for many years now. Never any problems from it. Just works you know.

>MFW I'm white
Remember, you chose this.

white apologist, aspie and hate being white, man i am sorry

>backup NAS right in front of the backed up unit
What can possibly go wrong?

Everything is located in a dark corner of my basement that never gets used. I've got it up on pallets in case the basement floor gets wet. If water gets over the pallets well then I've got bigger problems than data loss.

just moved. now that ive got a room i can dump this stuff in i am working on picking up 1 or 2 r710's, dont think i will buy a rack

stay jelly

How well does the Celeron handle plex transcoding?

Anyone noticed how having a server is fun and enjoyable even when you don't use it much? It feels like having a pet.

Mac Pro: Just a desktop now. Replacing with the ARK Rackmount on the right. 24gb ram and quad Xeon.

ARK: i3, 8gb ecc. Unraid w/ Plex, sickrage and couchpotato. 15TB of storage.

HP 8100 elite: (bottom right) esxi 6, windows server VM, pfsense, oracle SQL server.

Not pictured: xserve 2008 with 32gb ram. Not running cuz its loud as shit and my apartment is small so I don't have anywhere to put the rack I own that is in storage.

>i am working on picking up 1 or 2 r710's, dont think i will buy a rack
Then don't buy R710s, but T710s.

Old pic from my old poor mans rack

Is anyone here doing archival? What are you using?

I'm currently looking for a nice, inexpensive, low power rack mount on Ebay. I've noticed a lot of cheap retired business servers floating about, which generation of Xeon should I be looking for?

Pls respond.

so those are a tower version that can be mounted sideways it looks like. a little pricey for what i want. i dont really care about buying a rack since i can just stack things on top of each other on the table and still be able to reach them without too much problem.

looking for 2 cpu's for each box, noise isnt too much of an issue since i have a room dedicated to a workshop and shit and i just leave the door closed. been looking at older generation racks since they are relatively cheap, these are all for esxi hosts, my thinkserver is an esxi host as well and i have long since pushed it to its limit. want to get something for a hyper-v host as well to learn on, and i need something to turn into a dedicated nas since right now i am using the ts140 for everything and it can only fit 2 6tb reds dedicated to storage.

Get a couple R210ii or R220s if you have the budget. Great for a home vSphere cluster, you could even mount them with your switches in a network closet.

Virtualization, email, private cloud storage, seedbox, There's a number of things.

What else can I use my home server for? I have number of VMs running on it. So far, I got:
>Active Directory
>DNS
>IIS
>File Server
>Torrent Seedbox
>VPN

Email, game server if you're into that.

>Email
Just don't.

>using plex