/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.
In this thread you can ask questions about your GNU/Linux experience, if you ask kindly we would like to answer this question

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distrobution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distrobution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distrobution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.
Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE or GNU/Linux alternatives can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, port 6697 for SSL)
Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever)
$ man
https:wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo
davedavenport.github.io/rofi/
antignu.deviantart.com/gallery/
gamingonlinux.com/articles/8-out-of-the-10-current-most-popular-steam-games-support-linux.7360
gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2126
spins.fedoraproject.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>distrobution
Welp, next time.

first for fedora

youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo

kek

Sound isn't working on my arch install. Pressed my fn key for mute and its stayed muted.

What the fuck is the point of Linux when Intel ME/AMD PS exists, and when all modern mobos ship with UEFI?

A T T E N T I O N

M A K E

Sup Forums

G R E A T

A G A I N

>>/qa/564784

tried amixer sset Master unmute
alsamixer
--------------------
both have command not found.

I'm well experienced in linux, although I'm not sure how this problem happened, I'm running ubuntu 16.04 and it started when I locked my computer and it wouldn't accept my password, no matter how many times I made sure it was working exactly as I put it, found a way to get in though, if I log out it will accept my password again to login, when trying to run

sudo -s

It would ask for my password but will always say it's wrong

After further digging I found that I was temporarily locked out for ~30 mins, waited 30 minutes, turns out I'm completely locked out for trying to log back in or use sudo 28 times

From easy fix to reinstall how fucked am I?

PS don't have root account unlocked and the only other account I have avaliable is guest

reinstalled alsa-utils and amixer sset master unmute still works but doesn't unmute the volume.

That's a beard old bug (IMHO).

Try this:
amixer -qD pulse set Master toggle

Or use pulse directly:

Why - whatever. My post fucked up.

How do you edit rxvt color scheme

Via your .Xresources file, typically. iirc Arch Wiki has some more info on that. I'm not aware of any front-end, but it's not hard. You could try looking around on github or bitbucket too; a lot of people post their dotfiles publicly, including colour schemes.

dell xps 13..

ubuntu or ubuntu gnome?

no arch recommends pls.

Have you checked the volume level of the channel you want to use?
If say PCM is at 0% and you unmute master, it will still be muted because the individual channel volume is muted

If you are considering Ubunto GNOME might as well use Unity

t. Arch GNOME user

What are some good alternatives to "dmenu"? I would preffer something customizable and that can get transparency

dmenu2 that does all of that

its kinda funny this subreddit is called /flgt/

reminds me of /lgbt/

like it could stand for /fglt/ - /fags gays lesbians trannies/

XD

am i the only one who noticed this?? XDDD

t. Alberto Barbosa

what the fuck is this 't.' shit

So I have ubuntu box that acts as my HTPC. Recently one of the 2TB drives have been having issues. It is a few years old, I've run chkdsk on it, recovered and found a few problems, I'm sure it's on it's way out and now I'm trying to save what's on it.

But when I browse to it, it can take 2~ min to load the contents of the drive, it's not even full but has 500GB of stuff on it.

Is there a reason for long load times? I am getting the occasional i/o errors on some files when I try to copy that indicates it's truly fucked.

thanks so much. this truly is a friendlylinuxthread.

thanks to you to. my headphone was fucked up that way.

I have grub loading a Windows and an Antergos partition. I want to replace the Antergos with another distro. How do I go about doing this without fucking something up?

how do I make lightdm's user/password box transparent. do I have to edit a css file somewhere?

rofi

Would there be any negatives with installing Gentoo from my current installation in a empty hard drive or partition? Rather than the traditional route though the live media.

np

davedavenport.github.io/rofi/

>>>/9gag/

summer

github.io is the new geocities
proof me wrong

To those of you who use dmenu, what do you have your keybind (to activate it) set to?

I'm thinking of changing the default $mod+d.

I keep it as alt-d because I have no super on my keyboard. It is an easy to reach key combination.

Does it matter? You can map it to whatever you want. And '$mod' is ambiguous.

In the wiki it says xubuntu is popular with Sup Forums, why is that?

Because that is what the person who wrote that part of the wiki uses.

But D is for Desktop!

d is for delete

Yes.

That's the point. So it's more inclusive.
$mod sounds better than Win/Alt in my opinion.

Also, I'm just looking for ideas.

mod+p is the standard hotkey

I'm thinking about testing Linux on an RCA Viking 10.1

Should all the programs work? theoretically I mean

its got a mediatek processor...I know windows had a problem like that on WinRT/non x86 devices where only apps could run, but not Win32 programs

It is indeed.

>no left margin

>[interjecting internally]

Thanks Mr. Stallman

MGGA general.
fuck off microshits edition

Quick question: I am using VirtualBox to do some scripting in a sandbox. Is there a way to disable all the visual effects to make it refresh faster? Or is there a way to make it refresh the display faster at all? I am getting sick of coding at 5-10 fps. I already installed the guest additions.

I have an AMD video card, in case a solution would involve drivers.

Mediatek chips are ARM, so you would have access to all software compiled for ARM, which is pretty substantial. You'll have fewer proprietary options, but OSS stuff is mostly all there.

lel antignu.deviantart.com/gallery/

Why does ARM even exist? This special snowflake architecture is probably making development pointlessly complicated on top of cramming up repos. I wish Linux developers would do like Windows and Mac OS and pretend it doesn't exist.

Did you allocate more video memory?

If your linux is so good then why there less than 1% of all steam users that are actually using it ?

Because most games are developed for Windows?

Because low power, no Intel/AMD cost on chips. Think routers, switches, mice, keyboards, anywhere x86 has until very recently been too power hungry, expensive, or large.
ARM is far from snowflake. Most chips made are ARM.
Because wine reports as windows. Steam won't let you play native games and use wine to install windows games under the same Steam install. Also Steam OS does not report itself.

Please don't reply to bait

Don't reply to the b8, m8.

Okay, ARM is great for devices. That's good. But why is it that so much software on GNU/Linux gets compiled for ARM? You shouldn't use ARM for desktop computers.

Hey guys, I'm on Debian Testing

After some update a while ago I noticed my boot time increased by quite a few seconds (I know, autism, but it's an SSD and I'm touchy with these things being fast)

I ran systemd-analyze blame and identified NetworkManager-wait-online.service to be a major culprit, taking up ~10 seconds all on its own. I looked it up and apparently it's safe to disable.

How can I disable it permanently? I know how to disable services in the current session but not how to save it

gamingonlinux.com/articles/8-out-of-the-10-current-most-popular-steam-games-support-linux.7360
gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2126

Okay, but then, if linux is so good why less than 1% of wikipedia visitors actually use it ?

Nevermind, found it. It was

systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

No idea why it got enabled though. I didn't touch it and it's supposed to be disabled by default

Because Linux isn't used on just desktops. Many embedded devices run stripped versions of Linux. Many NAS and SAN utilize ARM. Linux as kernel doesn't accomplish much, and need software.
If Linux is so bad, why is it that literal overwhelming majority of computers use it? Mobile, embedded, servers, all overwhelmingly use Linux. Desktops have seen a windows dominance due to shady practices by Microsoft.
You got fucked by SystemDick.

I was gonna take your opinion as legitimate but then you discredited systemd.

Since I started working on distros with systemd, I never want to go back to systemv again.

I just tried that. It helped a little but it's still pretty slow. Anything else I can do?

But muh popular uneducated opinion bandwagoning.
Debian netinstall for me, but I must admit, Void is interesting.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Oldfags: After all distrohopping, what's the distro that made it to your home?

It's pretty slow at running android already. The transitions are kinda bad.

I was hoping installing a real desktop Linux os would speed it up. Is it worth it?

So is Arch Linux a secure distro relative to other popular distros? I just installed and got things mostly set up the way I like but would like to know of any security practices I should perform

I guess most people settle on base distributions and avoid derivatives.

If you need services to start after a network device is up, disabling that will make them fail.

You asked a vague, buzzword question and you will get vague, buzzword answers.

If you can find something that can run on it. Tablets aren't generally friendly to installing alternative OSes. you can find some hack-up systems that use Android's kernel but ditches the VM shit. It takes some research, but there's multiple ways of installing Debian within android. It might be worth it, it might not.
Not inherently. Install grsec-patched kernel, configure your firewall, set up selinux, consider chroot/schroot. Moving off of glibc would be a good step, as malicious binaries would need to be statically compiled, and thus harder to hide. Dynamically linked binaries would most likely fail due to the incompatible library.

>any security practices I should perform
install openbsd

Wow
They actually used the new copypasta I suggested yesterday
Change distobution to distro next time?

This is good advice. OpenBSD is inherently secure because none of your devices or software will function, thereby closing vulnerabilities.

Alright so I fell for the Thinkpad meme and got a T420 (I5-2520) for $90. I ordered a cheap 240GB SSD for about $50 to give it a bit of a speed boost. Thing is I'm trying to figure out which distro to use. Any suggestions would be nice. I've used Mint before and liked how easy is was to setup and use, but I feel I didn't learn enough Linux/command lines/stuff like that. Going into cyber security so thought about messing around with Kali for fun and getting a head start. If any of you guys could give me a nudge in any direction, it would be appreciated.

How do you like the T420 so far? I'm looking into them right now and I'm seeing a lot of praise.

Would you recommend? Assuming you've used it at all thus far.

Well I just got it the other day.
>good build quality
>nice a e s t h e t i c s
>16:10 screen ratio
>$90

It didn't come with a copy of windows so haven't really done anything with it yet. It has a light where the camera is to light up the keyboard. They keyboard kicks ass and love the dedicated sound buttons. I thought that was a cool feature. Be wary of the guys selling them on ebay saying there is no HDD cover though. Mine came wtih one and had already ordered a spare when I didnt need one. Fast shipping though.

Go with a netinstall or minimal variant of a debian or fedora, and learn how to build out your system.

Thanks for the response.
Yeah, I'll probably just pick up a(n) SSD.

Thanks. I was thinking about starting off Fedora. What environments does it offer?

well, all of them I suppose

spins.fedoraproject.org/
pretty much every major DE.

systemd and systemd, enjoy

Any one you want.

If you want to be as minimal as possible, install Arch. If you want ease of use "just werks" install Debian.

Not him but T420 and X220 are like the golden standards of /tpg/. Posting this right now from my T420.
>i7-2620m
>4gb ddr3
>1600x900 matte screen
>120gb Crucial MX200 ssd
>320gb WD Black in ultrabay
>9 cell primary battery

All of this for like $350 after taxes/shipping. Get a T420 in good shape, take care of it, and it will serve you well.

>minimal
That's Gentoo, mate.

Thanks. Probably going to order a refurbished online.

Nano Linux.

What does an Arch install offer that is more minimal than the Debian netinst?
Genuinely curious

>arch
Ha. Arch is just bootstrapping a netinstall. Gentoo, or a scratchbuild (such as LFS)

pacstrap contains less packages

>t420 for 90$

Is it broken or something? I paid 200$ for a T410 a few months ago, but that's in my 3rd world country.

You can select all packages manually during a Debian net-install and install even less.
t. Arch user who actually uses it and doesn't just get his knowledge from memes or myths posted on the internet

Disclaimer, I posted this in sqt but also posting here because it's relevant and for maximum visibility.

Not installing Gentoo, but Slack 14. I am trying to install Slackware on a 500gb HDD with Windows 7. I am wanting to overwrite everything and have only Slackware on the system. I'm booting from a USB optical drive with the Slack ISO. It's on a Thinkpad x140e, it is a UEFI firmware laptop. In the boot setup you can boot from UEFI, Legacy BIOS, or both. When I select UEFI it has options to boot from UEFI or Both based off of load progression, then there is an option for CSM which I disabled since Slack 14.1 supports UEFI and I shouldn't need Legacy support since an MBR should never be needed (I think?).

Boot options are listed as such:

UEFI only:
- UEFI only
- CSM disabled

When I load the Slack install disk at thr bottom of the screen says "Welcome to GRUB!" ...and that's it. One time I typed e based off an online instructions for being stuck on this screen. I think it's a misaligned GRUB boot screen to load huge.s

Anyway once it is booted to the keyboard screen, hitting enter, then logging in as root, I get to the partitioning phase. This is where I am stuck. Since my firmware is UEFI I figured my partitioning type would be GPT. So using gdisk or cgdisk asks me the file path. /dev/ ... sda, sda1, ada, ada1, hda, hda1 all bring nothing. When I fdisk -l nothing happens, when I cfdisk -l it says it can't be opened and FATAL ERROR.

What am I doing wrong? I assumed the Slack install would detect my HDD, then allow me to partition the entire drive for Slack and a swap.

Need a guide for windows 7 install on qemu/kvm

Ubuntu 16.04
I'm using virt manager and when I launch it the windows installer sticks to "starrting windows" until it crashes and says "no bootable device"
I have the ISO in my downloads folder

> the windows installer sticks to "starrting windows"

I started experiencing the same issue, but without the crashing. At least I think, because I shut it down after being stuck at that screen for 5 minutes.

Using -vga cirrus fixed it, but I don't know why I had to do that since it worked fine without specifying cirrus and using the default a couple of weeks ago.