Digital Hoarding

Real life hoarding is fucking pathetic and disgusting. Nobody wants to smell your failure of a life 10ft from the front door.

However, what about digital hoarding? Nobody should be (regularly) going through your hard drive. Is there anything wrong with digitally hoarding everything you can?

I am thinking about getting in on the digital hoarding game. Sup Forumsentlemen, please hit me with your insults and advice, and experiences.

i regularly delete files that havent been used in more than 3 months.

Ive been doing it with my media consumption for a few years now, currently sitting at 18TB HDDs with about 4.5TB free at the moment.

Lots of music, books, anime, TV, movies, documentaries, etc.

What are you gonna do when all your movies, TV shows, and anime are gradually re-released in HEVC and/or 4K?

I used to keep most stuff I downloaded, I had like 15TB at one point. But then I realized that I am never, ever going to watch any of that shit ever again. I mean, every episode of The Big Bang Theory? Why? So I nuked it all and now I delete things immediately after watching.

I feel much better now.

Redownload. I have 150mbps download and upload.

Also I could already replace a sizeable chunk of my anime with HEVC encodes but the quality is lacking

I mostly store rare content and things I like. I suggest you only hoard if you really love sharing and preservation.

what's your general method of downloading acquiring said files?

I have my 2tb "blockbuster" drive. I have a small collection of bluray cause director commentary and extras.

Private torrent trackers

>cause director commentary and extras.
You can get these from private trackers, just saying

do you dedicate as much time to actually consuming said media? or are you addicted to the activity itself of acquiring them/multiplying increasing your collection

or you're saving it for a rainy day?

I've watched probably 80% of what I currently have downloaded. I like to have a decent selection of new things available as well as my entire back catalog

Mine is mostly rips of dvd's I actually own. Some, like the James Bond Ultimate edition dvd set, I ripped just cause I didn't want to risk damaging the physical disc. I also bought and ripped the 20 season set of law and order cause I'm a fan of the show. Yeah I could just torrent it but they all shitty with fucking tv logo or just shit quality. I got all the star trek shows, the A-Team, Murder she wrote, Magnum PI, Scooby-doo (Classic series from the 60's/70s), Transformers G1/Beastwars. The actual DVD's I have boxed up wrapped in plastic bags stored in my basement. Like maybe 200 dvds plus the box sets.

>bought and ripped all that content
>you could have just gone to your local library (assuming you don't live in some bumfuck country that is) and borrowed them and done the same thing
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

>he doesn't leave the box sets unopened and torrent the files so the box sets don't lose value

Kek, enjoy those paper weights, I can at least resell mine for decent $ to autistic collectors

I'm like this user. I have around 135 Blu-rays and something like 35 regular DVDs. I rip them all and put them on my server to stream across the network to other computers, my chromebook, my tablet, etc.
>being a dirty fucking pirate

If you're gonna steal, just torrent. Fucks like you are the reason ripping blu-rays are becoming harder and harder with their anti-piracy shit. Ripping them even when you own a legal copy is a pain in the ass.

shiett man i deleted almost a tb harrdrive with full on tv show and movies no regret at all. I think hoarder is like sicknesses lol

I try to keep everything so maybe if I get the time I can look through it for the nostalgia

What's the harm with hording shit on a computer since storage is so cheap and you can search for things

I'm a newbiew hoarder, and I'd say hoarding is worth it if you're willing to sacrifice the hard drive space required for it.
I got into it after seeing too many things I liked disappear from the web, like older games and related info, some websites that are now gone that I archived when there were signs of it them possibly going under. I have even hoarded (mirrored) some dying forums I browse with wget and httrack.
I also hoard some movies and TV shows that were made in my country that I rarely see on the internet.
All in all I've been pretty satisfied so far. I built my server about a year ago for virtualization and hoarding with 2x4tb disks, and I'm about to order some more, probably 6 or 8tb ones

Also what partly inspired me to start doing it was the Archive Team and their I guess most famous archivist Jason Scott's speeches I'd seen. I don't participate in their projects but appreciate their and the Internet Archives work, I've used the site numerous times to archive sites from 10+ years ago

This i also a big part of why i want to get into digital hoarding. I've seen a lot of sites disappear that i would have had use for (or just want to revisit) a few years later. When I find valuable content, it would make more sense to store it rather than hope that when/if i need it again its still there.

I'd have to agree. In my everday life I will throw anything out but I've began to hoard digital content as it disapears from the web.