Torrent client of your dreams

Title. Tell me what features would you like to have in a torrent client.

I'm considering starting development of one to itch a scratch I have (there are no good clients that have sequential downloading, can be run in headless mode to be administered remotely and the web UI doesn't suck, so this disqualifies qBittorrent) plus most of the job is already done in the library I'm going to leverage, so there's a fair chance that your request will end up materializing if I see its usefulness.

Go wild.

Other urls found in this thread:

kalkih.com/rutorrent/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Transmission compact mode UI combined with the stability of Deluge.

Also, a client that DOESN'T FUCKING LOSE TRACK OF TORRENT DATA STORED ON A SECONDARY DRIVE AT EVERY FUCKING STARTUP.

>Transmission compact mode UI combined with the stability of Deluge.

Sure, sounds good.

>Also, a client that DOESN'T FUCKING LOSE TRACK OF TORRENT DATA STORED ON A SECONDARY DRIVE AT EVERY FUCKING STARTUP.

Sounds like an OS problem, unless you only see that behavior on some clients.

mode to stream torrents without saving any data

but you're saving data even when you stream videos/songs/images on the internet, even browsing Sup Forums saves data.

I'm not talking about temp files, I mean without writing the entire file to the hd.

This can be implemented in Linux no problem thanks to tmpfs, which will allow you to save your torrent file to RAM. I'm going to write it down as a contextual option for a desktop client.

As for macOS and Windows, you're SoL unless you have an external ramdisk program. In which case it could be configured to work.

Fuck off weaboo piece of shit

would the functionality different from programs such as popcorntime?

I want a torrent client that reports illegal downloads to the government so piracy is finally ended

which government?

None, already have deluge.

PopcornTime saves all data to disk. This feature would save torrents to RAM. They would be lost on reboot or whenever it is unmounted (the program may be able to do it on user command, or it could be unmounted with the umount command).

This also means that you need enough RAM to hold all data.

Deluge is great for smaller loads. But requires too much RAM and gets too slow once you're hitting the thousands of torrents.

qbittorrent will always be ahead of you

Well qBittorrent is the reason why I'm starting this. The Web UI is really lacking as it can't create torrents, can't choose the information columns and doesn't show the graph displaying what parts are downloaded/available for download/unavailable; and that's just what I've found after a day.

Plus both the desktop and the web UI suck design wise.

I want a torrent client that also does usenet and direct downloads

Out of scope direct downloads. Use aria2.

Usenet I've never used.

Remember gtorrent?

This is not a Sup Forums project. I can get a logo on my own.

i thought you said toilet because i didn't have my glasses on, and i wrote all this so i'm not gonna delete it.

a vaccum hose that can be pulled out, and attached to the required orafice. gentle suction, to remove all the waste. then a robitc tongue and water spritzer to clean the area spotless, and a nice blow dryer.

can be used standing or sitting, or squatting.

Transmission has sequential downloading, can be run in headless mode to be administered remotely and the web UI doesn't suck

>combined with the stability of Deluge.
McFucking kill yourself.
Deluge, in my experience is complete shit.
Fuck off.
There are so many things wrong with it it's not even funny.

Not him but what is better? I have used Deluge with no problem at all, honestly think it's great.

tixati, but open source.

Just remember, if you can't get a great torrent client AND Tetris in a 391k executable, you've failed.

>No ARS, DRS, ARE, or Lock Delay
Doesn't even take 5kb to make a good tetris game, so why bother adding let alone playing a shit one?

>Opens automatically when torrent file is downloaded
>Modern flat UI
>Mobile remote/monitoring application
Just stuff I wished qBittorrent had.

The only torrent client I've had no problems with so far is rTorrent. Can customize as much as you want.
But, I only have a raspbery pi as a seed box so it's kind of shitty seeding 1000+ torrents with it..
Check out this comfy web-ui of an un-secured rTorrent, kalkih.com/rutorrent/

uTorrent: Ads/AIDS/proprietary
It actually worked pretty well for me but I got tired of it after losing all of my torrents, I didn't feel like adding them all again. Done with adware and wanted something open-source.

Deluge: written in PYTHON, lags like shit, breaks
Worked fine for the first 100~, can't handle big torrents well, 50 percent of the time I would have to recheck every torrent over 10GB on startup. The last time it made me recheck all 700+ torrents I had, I nope'd the fuck out and installed qBtorrent..
If you download too many things at once it gives you an error I forget what it says, fucks downloads.
Also, for whatever reason, my external was not connected once and it downloaded over 20GB to /downloads/ (default directory) from private trackers for no fucking reason
Can't mass edit torrents, what a shit. There are so many other things that go wrong I don't even know where to begin.
Only thing I can say I liked was the mass add popup feature, but, I just set the default directory to what I actually need, auto-start and mass-add that way with other clients...

Transmission:
bare bones, not enough features for me

qBtorrent:
I have it loaded with 900~ torrents at the moment, it runs fine.
The only problems I've had so far, read error(?) when downloading too much, usually not a big deal.
And, downloading things it sometimes stalls, I can force download and it works just fine. I'm sure other people have had problems with seeding? But I haven't yet. The RSS reader is pretty good.
Been using qBtorrent for the past 3 weeks.

Holly shit why did I write this wall of text I must be autistic... What else am I missing?

Only has seq download if patched, at which point it's no longer supported by private trackers.

What functionality of tixati do you like?

>Opens automatically when torrent file is downloaded

Sure, as a per-torrent toggle, I gather?

>Modern flat UI

Sure is in mind for the web UI at least.

>Mobile remote/monitoring application

Web UI will be responsive.

Tbh rtorrent-ps+pyroscope kind of does everything I could ever want already. Otherwise something extremely similar but with a daemon+thin client setup.

How about preform an action after a torrent downloads?
Run a program, whatever..

Personally, I would to take something like the horrible subs RSS feed, download the torrents and replace the trackers with animebytes tracker so I can automatically cross-seed them there.
I'm sure there are a lot of other useful things that this could do like, auto-snatching FLAC and converting to V0, uploading..
Not saying the client should do /all/ of that, just trigger the stuff.
Meh.

>Tell me what features would you like to have in a torrent client.

Themeable.
I'd like to put my waifu on my torrent client.

Make it where you can open a port to download cars.

>How about preform an action after a torrent downloads?

Sure, I'll do just that instead of having it open the content folder; since that'll be redundant.

Web UI sure since you can theme it for CSS. As for desktop client, I'd have to look at the possibilities.

kek

Thanks actually man, I appreciate that you spent a lot of time writing that.

For now I am gonna stick with Deluge, because I just don't have any problems with it, even things that you described.

All the features of Tixati without the shit UI

>How about preform an action after a torrent downloads
>auto-snatching FLAC and converting to V0
Seconding this. Would be really convenient.

>features of Tixati

Which ones would that be?

>Torrent client of your dreams

qBittorrent. It's never let me down.

I think I can even make that one better and make it a built-in option to take every FLAC in the download, and create other folders with the respective 320, V0 and V2 files... hell maybe even prepare the .torrent file.

Most torrent clients don't have great options in the GUI for adding/removing peers to the blocklist, I don't like seedboxes and I block them as much as I can until my torrent uploads 100% so normal users can get upload.
That's sort of annoying so I wrote a python script to edit the file that controls that. Would be a great feature, though. Maybe on/off for that also or even separate lists you can check..

>Also, for whatever reason, my external was not connected once and it downloaded over 20GB to /downloads/ (default directory) from private trackers for no fucking reason
Mhmm. Remembering the torrent state and erroring out when it changes is an important feature that a lot of freetard clients are missing.
>move/delete files
>"WHERE'D THEY GO? THAT MEANS YOU WANT ME TO DOWNLOAD THEM AGAIN, RIGHT?"

uTorrent's "Error: Files missing from job. Please recheck" is comfy.

Take Transmission and change nothing, there's my dream client.

Or if we are dreaming, the client would punish people not seeding, by blocking them.

Make it portable or have a portable version.
I have a huge external drive and sometimes seed from different computers with a portable client.
Not sure how difficult that would be.

The limiting algorithm that you can customise, honestly I still don't know how it works but it seems like a nice touch.

>MP3
Make it a real codec.

I'll write it down, might be possible.

It'll be a Go application, so it's a single executable. At most it will have one or two other files for the settings.

The what now?

Could easily add a lot of them. Noted.

I don't think he is going to actually integrate this into the client, just like an add-on or something.
Why would he add a bunch of bloat by default?
see >>How about preform an action after a torrent downloads?

>Sure, I'll do just that instead of having it open the content folder; since that'll be redundant.

transmission with labels, label-specific settings, tracker-specific settings
No GUI, just a daemon and RPCs

I think it's called rtorrent

>The what now?
I think it uses latency to limit bandwidth? Something like that

>I don't think he is going to actually integrate this into the client, just like an add-on or something.
>Why would he add a bunch of bloat by default?

It's not bloat since it's just a function, and it's in fact a very useful one to people using private trackers like What.

rTorrent doesn't seem to have a good GUI and it's unnecessarily complicated to set-up.

I will write down labels as a useful feature though, thanks.

You'll have to be more specific than that. I do plan on adding simple toggles to throttle all connections in case you want more bandwidth for other things.

Well go to their github and submit some patches... Why start something new when you can help existing projects?

The UI doesnt suck, it's inspired by utorrent

>Well go to their github and submit some patches... Why start something new when you can help existing projects?

C++, too coupled, 1523 issues open at this very moment. Wouldn't touch that unless I'm getting paid.

>The UI doesnt suck, it's inspired by utorrent

Therefore it sucks. And the Web UI lacks a lot of functionality from the desktop. I run a seedbox in my home server; and the desktop UI won't allow you to connect to a remote instance either like you could with, for example, Transmission.

I want to believe.
OP, please be motivated. Every project here dies.

The Automatic Bandwidth Limiter feature is intended for use with Cable/DSL internet connections. It uses ICMP pings to measure congestion and adjusts the bandwidth throttle to maintain a rate just below full capacity. You can access this feature from the Bandwidth View, by clicking the 'Details' button.

This feature may not work on all internet connections. If you are having problems getting this to work, it is best to not use it and simply set a reasonable outgoing throttle rate as described on the Optimizing Tixati page.

Why Is This Needed?

Cable and DSL modems often have a large send buffer, which can hold approximately two seconds worth of outgoing traffic. The equipment on the other side of the connection (DSL line card or Cable head-end) also has a large buffer that can hold about two seconds worth of data before it is transmitted in the opposite direction, to your home. Because of this, when you are utilizing 100% of your connection speed, these buffers fill up and delay ALL traffic, and this can impact performance significantly.

The solution is to limit traffic flows to just under full capacity. This keeps the buffers in a near-empty state, and keeps latency (delay) to a minimum, which allows downloading, web browsing, and almost any other activity to proceed without hindrance.

I cannot confirm anything user, but it is something I will have to do sooner or later.

Too much work for too small a number of people sounds to me.