Why does Sup Forums hate vlc so much? Is it because it's popular?

Why does Sup Forums hate vlc so much? Is it because it's popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IHhUcabwkuw
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/38184
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We do?

I think it's a great player, been using it for many years now.

>doesn't need third party codecs
What's not to hate?

Hipsters.

Though I just like MPC-HC better.

why?

It's OK, but it's really badly organized from a usage perspective. Also, not enough granularity on options. If you like it, that's fine. Currently though, mpv is the Sup Forums darling from image quality and rendering perspective, which IS pretty important when using video players. Oh, also, not sure if still true, but on windows integration was kinda annoying.

Basically. I remember when every single post on Sup Forums advocated VLC.
Now Sup Forums hates it because everybody uses it. People need to feel like special snowflakes so move on to some obscure anime centric bullshit player like MPC-HC.

Idn. I've just used it longer so I am used to it and I have it set up just how I like it.

Subtitle renderer sucks shit compared to mpc and mpv.

Do you have any side by side screenshots that show mpv and vlc? I wanna see the difference.

Because it's deprecated.
I used to play everything on VLC, but then came the future and while MPC-HC can play 10bit HEVC videos on my toaster perfectly, VLC cannot.

I don't hate it, it's a solid no-frills player that just werks and gets good support. But I prefer MPV because of how minimalist/clean it is, all the useful shortcut keys it has and the quality options like superior upscaling and debanding and interpolation to combat 3:2 pulldown judder.

But I don't. mpv just works better.
mpv > vlc > any other trash not even worth mentioning

Mpc combined with madvr basically let's you rice your video quality. For just basic shit VLC is fine.

it is shit!!

I just like the mpv interface better.

Epic meme

When was this vlc advocacy?

Kek Sup Forums is primary an anime community. Vlc is hated because of shit sub rendering from 10 years ago. Vlc hasn't been popular on Sup Forums ever. Only retarded Reddit and normie niggers who don't watch anime or hate it use vlc becuase they don't follow the video codec advances.

So basically it's just memes from 5 years ago?

Because that hasn't been happening to me for quite a while.

>mpv
>interface
>can't even change the volume or show a playlist

I watch all of my anime with VLC. :3

Because Sup Forums is 2edgy4me

i "hate" it because the safari plugin doesn't work anymore, so i have to use firefox for webm threads :(

>Sup Forums is triggered whenever someone says "VLC lets you boost volume by 400%"
>VLC is objectively worse than ultrasperg codec/player solutions to watch Chinese stickmen
>DO I FIT IN YET GUISE???

Pick one or more.

>rebuilding font cache

i use it for livestreams and mpv for everything else.

Hey, I forgot about that.
So, that too, OP.

I used to use it but I switched to MPC-HC after it wouldn't play certain files. I've never looked back.

/thread.

But it's not a meme, VLC does this quite a bit. I'm not even the person you were responding to.

youtube.com/watch?v=IHhUcabwkuw

Also MPC-HC, MPV, MPDN was superior to VLC in image quality. .
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/38184

>Not using PotPlayer

Can we end this terrible thread please

Computer nerds are obsessed with extreme customization and getting the best possible experience. VLC can play everything, but it's rarely the best player for any given video file.

I can't see a difference

what's the difference?

vlc looks kinda washed out

>use MPC-HC
>microsoft windows only

found the faggot

Mpc-hc is better with svp to interpolate my animu to 144fps

And no, your cheap lowend thinkpads can't handle it.

I don't, I just tend to use ffplay for most things, and for playing mod files I tend to use specific players because libmodplug sucks balls.

By all means I still recommend VLC to people. Simply because it's basically an ffmpeg frontend and thus plays damn near everything.

I use VLC as a backup media player, else use MPC-BE.
MPV is nice, but is lacking too many features for me.
Love MPC-BE's UI, seekbar preview (which MPC-HC is missing), skin doesn't look Win 98 retro, and can increase the minimum texture resolution, and its font rendering is almost indistinguishable from MPV to me.
Was also annoying to me that MPV didn't remember last window size / position.

As to why I don't use VLC:
-VLC can be washed out (at least on Nvidia) unless changing video color settings to Full in the Nvidia control panel. See -Rebuilding font cache.
-Takes longer to configure settings than MPC-BE.

>signed by Aлeкcaндp BOДЯHHИКOB

Is it a Russian botnet, user?

go to Sup Forums, they have had many comparisons between 10-bit anime running on VLC vs. MPC-HC with MadVR and SVC.

VLC colors look jaded, it stutters and shits itself on 10-bit files.

> idn (sic)
At least you're honest

whats the player on the far left?

All three in the image are MPC-BE.
Pressing 1, 2, or 3 changes the UI as seen in the screenshot.

it doesnt play 4k properly, really fucking slow and hungry for resources, literally windows 10 player works better.

wow i'm fucking retarded. Thanks m8

it's not bad, MPC-HC is just better

Thanks for this. I'm testing and it looks really nice. I might just switch from HC.

it's bloated

From tip of tree on both repos, just checked out:

user@~/src/ro/mpv$ find . -type f | grep -E '.*\.(h|c|py|lua|pl|m|cpp)$' | xargs cat | wc -l

vs

user@~/src/ro/vlc$ find . -type f | grep -E '.*\.(h|c|py|lua|pl|m|cpp)$' | xargs cat | wc -l

And mpv even works better by piping to youtube-dl.

I still have VLC on my machine, it handles some streams better than mpv seems to. It's still bloated.

do you use madvr with mpc-be?

look man, i don't want to say bad things but vlc is shit.

is shit

>>doesn't need third party codecs
>What's not to hate?
>not to hate
I think you might have that backwards, user.

>MPV didn't remember last window position
shift + q

When i watched films (.mkv) VLC gets artifacts and occasionally the screen goes grey. Mpc never does this

why do animecucks need 10 bit video when anime uses like 25 colors per episode

Its a great if not amazing standalone player, probably one of the best on the market that conpletely relies on its own codecs.

Its just that when I used it 2 weeks ago it was indeed "rebuilding font cache". Even though I have a high end pc it still took a bit of time, when it was done it changed the font to something ugly as fuck. Its not a meme you fucktards, it did this 10 years ago and it still does.

Also video quality of mpc+madvr is superior.

Personally? No.
Should work with madvr just the same as MPC-HC, though, if that's your gig.

It's because the playback sucks dick compared to every other player like MPC-HC, mpv, Potplayer, BSplayer, etc.

is there any way to do the first style with vlc

--no-video-deco --no-embedded-video

Because they download shitty anime rips and need a buttload of fancy processing to keep from getting cataracts while watching them.

VLC is fine with a good source.

where into senpai

I use VLC like a normal person because I'm not an autist with hours of free time to configure plugins and decoders and all that shit MPC-HC requires. There's no difference in the video output from the two on modern versions anyway. All the screenshot glitches you see spammed in these kinds of threads are ancient versions of VLC.

>I'm not an autist with hours of free time to configure plugins and decoders and all that shit MPC-HC requires.

But MPC-HC works out of the box like VLC does.

why doesent it start at 100% zoom?

nvm im fucking retard

>I use VLC like a normal person because I'm not an autist with hours of free time
Normies, everyone. Your average VLC audience.

Long story short: Because it does basically everything wrong (at least in terms of the video rendering). If it's possible for VLC to screw something up, they screw it up. That's their M.O. and has been for the past decade.

I once wrote a list of all the little things and steps that VLC screws up. It spanned 5 or 6 Sup Forums posts.

Its a jack of all trades, but a master at none.

Yes it can do a lot of things, but it doesn't do any of those things WELL.

If you want a good video player, MPC-HC, mpv, and a handful of other players are better.

what?

i don't like the icon
but i use it anyway

that looks scaled up. Did you increase window size? Show the video at the original resolution.

>literally the same decoder
>vlc shows artifacts

at least put your lies on a reasonable base.

>can't even change the volume or show a playlist
Press the / and * buttons on your numpad, or the numbers 9 and 0.
You fucking idiot.

I have neither of them set to "scale window to video size" and also I'm not willing to redo the screenshot. It looks the same on both players., at least on my PC

now do one with MPV right next to these 2

it is QT spyware

>it plays it all
>most like it and install it right after the os
>Sup Forums autists hate it and would rather use a player with no gui and that stutters with opengl at lq quality
wew wew weeeew

Yes.
VLC rose to prominence because it could play partial files really well unlike anything else at the time and everybody was downloading everything from peer to peer networks looking for something they could preview their downloading files with so they didn't waste hours of time and bandwidth to end up with "Poor Little Whiteboy 2" instead of "Troy".

>using xvid to prove quality
danny boy stop drinking
>end up with "Poor Little Whiteboy 2" instead of "Troy".
>not using private trackers
that's a dumb las

I've been using VLC since it was advocated on this site way back in like 2007. Back then everyone said use VLC or nothing else. But Sup Forums is a place for hipsters and as it grew in popularity the autists on Sup Forums started decrying it.

fonts are too small.

Worst Batsu Game.

>Why does Sup Forums hate vlc so much?
Fixed

This. Don't even remind me back in the days when you used to play DVDs, it skipped through the DVD or artifacts all over the place
Since then always mpc.

>>not using private trackers
>that's a dumb las

This was before torrenting, lassy.
The Gnutella Edonkey days.

Jesus...

>back in the days
VLC still does this today

Well that's when VLC took off.

i had installed mpchc to watch a couple of episodes on my sisters laptop.
the other day she downloaded a season of series off kat and said vlc is not playing it because it is 10 bit something. i said try the mpc hc with open with and she said it worked. now she only uses mpchc with kawaii codec pack. and you???

for me VLC and MPC are both shit in decoding, so i use MPV

HOWEVER, MPC is good for viewing webms in single folder because it has the "next" and "previous" buttons

>viewing webms in a single folder
why would you do that?

>Why does Sup Forums hate vlc so much?
it's mediocre. plain and simple.

>Is it because it's popular?
Even your mom knows about vlc, but nothing beyond that...

VLC is not the only one with "build-in" codecs, you silly sausage.

also as an anime sidenote: VLC only got libass in august 2008 which was years behind anything else...

also garbling and failing at rendering every now and then (been the same for years)

TL;DR = it's not a very good option. Use MPC-HC or mpv

Just use Potplayer. Best media player right now since mpv does not integrate well on Windows.

Here are all the FOSS and cross-platform options available:

mpv (back-end / command-line)

MPlayer (back-end / command-line)

VLC (GUI)

MPC-HC (GUI, Windows Only)

>We do?
Yes we do,newfag.