Linux is beautiful

Linux is beautiful

Not sure if you're being sarcastic.

The kernel has nothing to do with a filesystem layout. Even some GNU/Linux distros change the layout to make it seem better to users.

Looks good to me.

GENTOO INSTALL IT INSTALLGENTOO INSTALL GENTOO GENTOO INSTALL GENTOO GENTOO GENTOO INSTALL IT INSTALL IT

But funtoo is better.

install freebsd

Why? Nothing works.

install pcbsd

Why? Nothing works.

install brain

Why? Nothing works.

install a noose around your neck

Why? ... you know what... I might actually install noose... ;_;

I was thinking about test netbsd but , in what is it better than linux ?

Why? Nothing works.

I hope you're kidding. The filesystem hierarchy for linux has hacked together over time to form one unified, disgusting, mess of a filesystem. Sure, it's more "elegant" than OS X or Windows but you can't even really call it that.

If you want to see how the filesystem is structure in an "elegant" unix take a look at Plan 9 from Bell Labs. When you throw out all of the vomit that has accumulated over the years you can finally embrace the Unix Way (tm).

Compared to every other major OS it is the best file system. Prove me wrong.

has anyone got a nicely laid out diagram of the windows registry

no? thought not

don't worry, you just need to secure the other end and drop yourself from a chair or something (you need to make sure your feet don't touch the ground when hanging)

just fuck my OS up familio

it works

Nothing works.

Is there actually a way to get the filesystem to be displayed like this? Obviously it'd be a billion miles long if you expanded all of the folders but that would be neat to see on a command line.

buuuuut its so easy and logical just navigate to localmachine\microsoft\windows\nsa and set bazinga to 0x06395

That's the POSIX compatible file structure of Unix's systems

Cool.

Stallman and his clusterfuck IEEEIX can go straight back into his anus. POSIX is cancer.

Not exactly like that, but if you're looking for a neat, customizable visual file browser for the cli, I highly recommend Ranger.

ls -R /*
Took me about 6 seconds

>6 bin directories
yeah. sure. "beautiful"

Just got it, it's pretty neat, I'm rooting around the site for it to learn how to really use it.

How? People keep saying this but never say why. I think you're lying.

install OS X
oh wait, everything will work

Yes, now if only it worked on desktops and had decent drivers.

Year of the Linux desktop == never

Here is the why. Well because idk why

Thx bby

What's "unelegant" about it specifically?
Yes, there's some cruft (who uses /srv or /opt anymore?), and some things could be separated out more (why does /var have both volatile and non-volatile data), and stuff in procfs that might belong in sysfs, but those are minor and/or can be ignored completely.

I can't count how many times a device has worked perfectly in Linux out of the box while the Windows driver was at least one of the following:
1. Impossible or extremely hard to find
2. Only for older Windows versions
3. Just plain shitty
4. Lacked config options that I could do in Linux
5. Didn't exist (e.g. control over certain hardware features)
6. Got fucked up by a Windows update.

Examples:
#2: a scanner I have only has drivers for XP and below
#4: Trackpoint drivers don't support middle click and scroll, have to choose one of the other
#5: Some thinkpad stuff
#6: Try using a Mellanox ConnectX-2 on Windows. It will update you to a version of the driver that dropped support for that particular card.

The elegant thing about FHS is that it's standardized.

Look at fucking Windows, developed by one company and they can't even standardize that shit.

>system32
>contains 64-bit files

>system32/drivers
>doesn't contain drivers

>saved game data gets scattered between appdata/local, appdata/roaming, games, desktop, C:/, C:/ and ten other folders

Don't forget
>Registry is a total clusterfuck abortion
>SysWOW64 contains 32-bit files
>Run into weird issues regarding the 32/64 handling