/sqt/ Stupid questions thread

Old bread is almost kill.

Ask your simple questions here.

Got a Linux-specific question? Search "flt" in the catalog, or go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt (wait 15-20 minutes after asking your question)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-theme-arc/
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/DEM_Format
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S4689474
i.imgur.com/koLUPLh.jpg
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does network traffic coming from the internet get routed to the computer based on the internal IP address or the mac address?
I would assume the internal IP address but if so, how come cloning someones mac address on your network can start causing shit to happen?

Probably best to check connections then.
Otherwise start eliminating components. Or it could even be a restart from your temps being too high, but you probably would have mentioned that.

W10 download probably isn't doing it, but to be completely assured, you could look up which updates to delete and stuff.

How do I grab and compile someone's twitter posts and replys?

Internet -> your modem/router -> your internal IP (recognized by MAC)

This is a very simplified explanation.

ctrl + a then ctrl + c

After playing for a bit my graphic and sound stutters, and once even PC turned itself off instantly (blackout)
Is it too high temperature? Speedfan show that it is not much higher than usual

How does Edge compare to Internet Explorer? Asking because I upgraded my mom's Windows 8 laptop yesterday and I'm just curious

Seeing as the new bread is up, I'll just point towards my question from the previous thread.

Could be your power supply unit. Voltage is probably unstable due to dying PSU hence why it happens when stressing the computer through gaming.

600 is plenty.
Nvidia and Skylake are good on TDP.

This creates a problem, I have no idea how to check power supply unit in laptop.
Welp, my buddy have previous model, maybe they are compatible and I could switch it. Thanks user.

What is a good bouncer for IRC? There are a few IRCs I am interested in talking on but I don't like how easy it is for people to view your ip address.

mac is for the last step : router-> your PC

befor everything is based on IP.
You can't spoof the mac of a PC which isn't on the same network

If it's a laptop, does the problem still happen on battery even when windows power settings are turned to max performance?

It's like chrome when it first came out. Super fast, super lightweight. The only downside is there's no decent adblockers so you have to do it manually through the host file.

Any other way that also allows me to grab responses grouped with comments?

I got some thermal paste on the circuit board of my ps3 while trying to reapply it because the ps3 gave me overheat warning.
How do I get it off without fucking it all up?

Yo I'm kinda a noob at coding at wanted to start a project to extract statistics from csgo demo files with Java. I've only taken one programming class that was pretty basic, but I figured I could learn more by actually doing a project on my own. So I have my .dem files that I want to extract data from, but I dunno really where to start. It looks like pic related, not really decipherable. I'm not asking for a step by step explanation of what I need to do, I'd just like to know what stuff I need to learn how to do/research to be able to do this. I asked someone that has comp sci experience and they mentioned I should make a database to decipher the file but I don't know if that's right.
>tl;dr How do I understand what's in pic related

Reposting, because I'm still clueless about this.

Guy with the 970 shitting itself on GTAV posting again.

Shit's still on warranty, but how can I convince costumer support that the card is faulty? How can I even be 100% sure?

Shit drops to 45 fps even on TF2 sometimes paired with an i5 4690k.

More insight, it always happens on startup, after launching the game a couple of times it works fine. It also didn't happen last year when I built the computer.

Pic related, whole rig.

Depends on the type of paste but you're probably better off leaving it there rather than fucking something up trying to clean it.

My Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD came in the other day and it feels oddly hollow. Is this normal?

Yes

don't edit them like text files if they are'nt.
learn how they're encoded

How do I install a theme for xfde?
I have manjaro.
I tried following Sup Forums wiki.
Let's say I'm trying to install Arc.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-theme-arc/
How? sudo pacman -S gtk-theme-arc doesn't work, neither including the full number,
wtf is the command?
I couldn't find any that work on manjaro.

>mangina
Install Ubuntu and then actually do stuff. Or give your computer to someone who has use for it.

Ticket closed.

Ok, stepped out of full autist mode and found out this command in manjaro's wiki:
pacman -U *link*
when I try to use this command, specifically
pacman -U aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk-theme-arc/
the terminal give me this message:
"you cannot perform this operation unless you are root."

How do I become root?

What a good recommend high static pressure case fan for intakes, I keep seeing corsair SP120s as recommend on review sites.Probably have to change the exhaust fans too since I'm hearing it rattle or high pitch noise from the fan warping somehow from the heat.

Write su or sudo in terminal and enter password

What is wrong with manjaro?
I did my research and this is the one I chose.

Which gpu? Is it a 540m?
Tried underclocking?

Maybe issues with drivers or iirc, someone earlier mentioned windows doing shit like this on older versions. Maybe they want you to upgrade to 10?

Recommend intake case fans if you got dust filers?

Nothing. But seeing you're unable to RTFM, maybe that user wants you to use a simpler version of Linux? Ubantoo is noob friendly, though I'd suggest you mint, which is even easier.

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/DEM_Format

Oh wrong post

I've got a month to become an Excel wizard. Is there a Sup Forums approved guide? I need to learn it for financial shit.

>Sup Forums approved guide for excel

Excel itself isn't Sup Forums approved. But it's really easy. One month is more than sufficient. You can probably git gud within a day or so. Good luck.

>error: failed retrieving file 'alpmtmp.2cQovo' from aur.archlinux.org : expected download size exceeded

>Interrupt signal received

What do?

Delete that old copy and download again.

Looks like your network connection is doing weird stuff

Is the metal shielded pci-e slot a motherboard meme or do they actually work?

How?

It may be more durable but that's about it, and if you're not a neanderthal it shouldn't matter.

so then what is the current situation with graphics card sag? Would a decent backplate fix that?

Just rig a wire under the sagging corner if you're worried about it.

Make a cute little pedestal to hold it up :3

Can people not improvise at all anymore?

>metal shielded pci-e slot
Why would you want this? If any point should physically fail, you'd want it to be the slot and not the area around the anchor point, which would fuck up more of the mobo than just the slot, and certainly not the card itself.

Is it safe to leave my sewer on during the day while I'm at work?

no that's disgusting

Is there any possibility of using pidgin opensteamworks on windows 7?

I installed some themes and shit on my phone (cyanogenmod) but when I try uninstall them on my phone it just restarts the phone

How do I remove them?

>shutting your computer off
>ever
People actually do this?

>looking for a 12" or less laptop that will be used solely for web browsing that won't overheat every couple minutes and can handle firefox and music player at the same time
>has to have usb port
>don't care about screen quality or resolution
>price $200 max
>lightweight is a bonus
>can be used

i already have a x201, but i need something new.
is there something that would be good for me?

I'm in the market for a small notebook but I'll need the wireless card to support AP mode. Is it safe to assume all the new ones do or would I have to dig around the specs for each model?

Need to suggest a good prebuilt PC to a friend that lives half the word away, so no chance of helping him building it.

Found this on Newegg for 1k$

Intel Core-i5-4690K (3.5GHz)
16GB DDR3 |1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
No name 600W power supply
(lol "gaming" keyboard + mouse)

For the price, all in all is not a bad pick for a prebuilt, is it?

I'm not really up on graphix cards but unless that's a six/seven hundred dollar card, you are reccing something way overpriced to your friend, gimme a sec to look around and I'll find something better for ya

Assembling a PC is so easy a gamer can do it. Is your friend less capable than a gamer?

I've only owne my one smartphone (iphone 4) for a few years now and I can't stand it. I don't use apps, I don't have any social media, I hate touchscreen keyboards.

The only thing I use it for is texting and music occasionally (road trips). I browse Sup Forums as well.

What's the best dumbphone out there? Are they even an option now?
I really don't want another smartphone and I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on one because I couldn't give less of a shit about a fucking phone. It's just necessary I have one otherwise I wouldn't at all.

Why did XFX stopped making Nvidia card's and started making only AMD cards?

Jitterbug

Thanks I appreciate it. To be honest I haven't found anything with similar specs for less. Anything with a better card I've seen goes up to 1.5k$

I see your point but my friend would have an hard time understanding the difference between RAM and a hard drive, so...

So in a LAMP server, Apache just runs all the PHP/Python/Perl scripts and returns the results?
For instance, a Python script can return a webpage?
Also, can you write a simple website and link Python scripts into it like php?

I'd say get something like this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S4689474
and then purchase and install the graphix card seperately. but that's just me

also you can get more bang per buck if you don't insist on new

Looks solid, I'll try suggesting this and see if he's up to the big task.

Thanks for your time

Depends on the CPU cooler and power supply

I'd much prefer to pay an extra $100 and get a better power supply than have a dodgy one.

i.imgur.com/koLUPLh.jpg

Never go under tier 3 desu

And if the cpu cooler sucks and your friend has no idea how to install a new one it'll just end up with unhappy performance and overheating. Especially if they plan to play games, stock cooler will easily hit 80c+

use an older driver for your video card?

I'm going to have to transport a motherboard in my suitcase as I'm literally travelling between cases. Should I disassemble the whole thing (cpu, cooler, ram) or am I okay to leave those on?

doesn't matter either way, tsa gonna fuck your shit and detain you for carrying bomb parts

I'm in the UK so no police state here

Take the cooler off and any heavy PCI cards off, you may also want to pack any mechanical drives separately.

How to stop ff from leaking memory and sperging out randomly with the cpu usage?

Is it safe to leave the cpu in the socket with no cooler attached?

By not using it.

yes

how do i install windows on a laptop which came with pre-installed windows 10? i installed linux mint on it first thing i did and now i want to go back to w10, i have no cds that came with it.

Don't take off the heatsink. You'll need to clean and re-apply everything if you do.

Are liquid coolers actually good or do they offer no advantage and leak?

Get the ISO from Microsoft and activate with the key on the bottom.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10

With those ISOs, you'll need to put it on a USB drive with unetbootin. dd won't work because it doesn't come as a bootable image.

What a tragedy

Larger cooling area ones will perform better, if you use one with a small radiator you might as well use air cooling.

thanks dude, appreciate it a lot.

>Larger cooling area ones will perform better
so are we talking the 240mm rads?

Any X or Linux programs that lets you draw an image on the top of all applications, with various transparencies while also being able to click through it?

An overlay of sorts.

240/280 if you case will fit it.

What's the best way to destroy a hard drive?

My mom is getting rid of her old HP netbook and just wants to make the hard drive unreadable and unusable. I've already taken it out of the netbook, should I just run a drill straight through it a couple times?

Great.
So what's the odds one will leak? That is literally the only thing that scares me off getting one

Just breaching the case is enough to prevent the average person from doing anything with it.

I would guess using a screwdriver to take it apart and then just smash the main disk inside so the data is unrecoverable,

Yeah, the drill.

Just overwrite it once with DBAN or GNU shred. If bad sector count is zero, no one is recovering anything. If there are bad sectors, there's probably not anything sensitive that happens to be on them. Then the drive can continue to be used. Or you could take it apart and keep the magnets. The platters will explode into dust if bent far enough. Do this inside a bag and/or with gloves and eye protection, outside.

Why?

Need to buy a Modem and a Router.
I already have a switch.
Internet speed is up to 100Mbps.

I don't think anyone has hard numbers on that
Corsair does sometimes reimburse damage caused by leaks on a case by case basis.

If i buy this can i connect one mic, one headphone and one something? Can i do it with Realtek HD?

NO QUESTION DETECTED
TICKET CLOSED

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do but probably not.

Does anyone here have any experience with ASUS's RMA process? Specifically with regards to monitors? What's the quality of it all like (i.e. how long it takes, how good the repairs actually are, etc.), and how liberal are they with repeated returns (i.e. could I keep returning until I got a monitor that wasn't shit). I played the panel lottery with a PG279Q, and unfortunately, it has a dead pixel that annoys the fuck out of me. I would just ask for a replacement via Newegg, but I'm pretty sure they'd just refund me. However, if I go through ASUS, I'll void my Newegg return, so I want to know what I'm getting into if I go down that avenue.

I'm pretty sure they can't be used at the same time through one 3.5mm jack.

there is something incredibly funny and meta about seeing a blurry/sharp imagecomparison of 1080/4k on a 1080 monitor