PROGRAMMING AS VIABLE EMPLOYMENT

Is programming still valuable in finding work nowadays?

Before
>few people could code
>companies want those who can
>high pay

Now
>market is flooded
>companies can pick and choose
>average salary

Are there other tech skills that command high salaries?

Yes, but all skills are secondary to your ability to play the social game. Employment is about who you know and what sort of personal politics you publicly advertise.

i make 50K a year with PHP you tell me

This. Fuck I hate office politics. It's all about smooching the right managers even if you hate their fucking guts. How good you are doesn't mean shit.

S Y S T E M L E V E L

Software engineering
Actual engineering

how hard is software engineering?

>50K a year
>you tell me

There you go OP. Your answer is "no".

Dont forget:

>hire low quality developers
>ship bloated product
>consumer is forced to buy new product
>software company gets a kickback from hardware guys

There's some of this in all industries, but of course it gets worse as the market gets flooded.

And computer programming is fucking Noah's Ark right now. It might even be worse than nursing.

So if you have the right connections and kiss the right ass you might be fine. Otherwise you're not going to do much better than a Walmart store manager.

new hardware*

Walmart store managers make 6 figures before performance bonuses...

Also, nursing is far from bloated, they offered my sister a job starting at 55k coming from a 2 year program.

depends on the area you are in. There are still alot of areas starved for software devs, but you have to have social skills, you can't be a mouth breather autist like it was 10 years ago and still get a high paying job.

you boviously have to know enough about whatever position your applying for. But yes, who you know and your personality play a huge role. Also if youre desperate for your first job, ask for a slightly below average salary. If a company sees that you're in it for the long term and want to learn, they'll see that as an opportunity to save money and hire a good employee. Then later get a pay raise.

>Walmart store managers make 6 figures before performance bonuses...

Exactly.

>Also, nursing is far from bloated, they offered my sister a job starting at 55k coming from a 2 year program.

Is she an actual RN? Or some type of assistant? And are you in the U.S.?

$55k for an RN = flooded.

Ahmed is hot.

Code monkey jobs are a joke, Anyone betting their future on that shit is going to be in for a rude awekening.

All that shit can easily be outsourced anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Probably not an RN. I think they make more starting out.

She's an RN. 27 an hour is good for an RN in North Carolina. It's good for anyone not living in Jew York, to say nothing of someone only 2 years removed from high school.

I am an average code monkey with mediocre skills. In two years, I overcomed my collegues, with some of them who is more experienced than me.
What I've been doing is exploiting management's volubility. You get to talk to them more often (mostly about project, issues, ideas) and you get all the spotlight in employer's attention.

Moral of story: If you don't socialize at your workplace, but work hard, you won't get noticed, lads.

>55k coming from a 2 year program.
where? that means nothing without knowing the area.

He said North Carolina Though I'm still not impressed with $55k. Nothing against his sister, but it's not that much considering the education and work. It points to a flooded market.

It just SEEMS good because mediocre GDP and employment growth with relatively high, but hidden/lied about inflation, is "the new normal" in the U.S. In a sense everything is flooded because the U.S. economy is not generating enough new jobs each quarter to keep up with population growth, but FedGov still brags about the numbers as if they were good.

I don't know...maybe IT isn't any worse off than other fields...EXCEPT that I don't believe they shit can Americans and H1B nurses to nearly the same degree.

>>market is flooded

lol no.

>>companies can pick and choose

not a chance.

>>average salary

sadly still true.

The bottom line, IMHO, is make Comp Sci your minor, or go into advanced enough Comp Sci that you soar over webdev-land and Pajeet-ville.

employment discussion is not technology discussion

The market isn't really flooded, I attend several tech events in Atlanta and I see the same fucks saying "We are looking for a developer for X position" for months at a time.

>All that shit can easily be outsourced anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Sure, Pajeets only cost 1/10th of someone in the west.
But if you're not at least 10 times better than a Pajeet you really should have picked a different job.

Eastern Europe does have quality programmers at competitive prices. - but there aren't enough to take all our jobs.

I mean you're right. It's only certain disciplines that are flooded.

Name one.

If it's £ that's $75,000

well that's another thing that changed since the recession. Once upon a time, when a company posted a job opening, they seriously meant to hire someone. They actually needed the labor if they posted the opening, and fairly soon. Now, companies are willing to leave a position open for a long time. Either they're waiting for the perfect applicant and won't hire unless they find him, or they'll post eight positions but be satisfied only filling five of them, or they're just putting a line in the water and seeing if anyone exemplary happens to turn up. (Or, yes, they need to be able to say "we looked for an American and there wasn't one" so they can get an H1B) Result: A lot less hiring than you'd think just judging from the number of open positions advertised.

This. Data analysis and Web Science are the safe choices now since Pajeet doesn't have access to the uni courses. Programming is a fucking joke, a philosophy student landed a job over someone with a comp sci degree. It's time to look elsewhere.

Years of experience?

>ITT: "I CAN CODE FIZZBUZZ, WHY AREN'T I GET PAID 100K+"

Program an AI in your spare time and sell it to Microsoft for 700 billion dollars. EzPz.

ITT: I can't get a job living in the US so it's Patel's fault.

You can have a degree and still suck at stuff. Being capable of getting shit done is different, senpai

Kek

webdev faggot