Best of DE for Linux

Best of DE for Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Xfce-4.14-Early-Report
neon.kde.org/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gnome2 and its derivatives yes. Gnome3 became totally wack and unusable

you seem to be mistaken my friend. since no DE is good on linux.

Why, explain. But it is the most popular.

Why Arch became popular in/g?

GNOME is really pretty, but I prefer to use xfce even with its drawbacks like out of the box tearing and no window movement between monitors.

>arch
every time

But XFCE RIP, no?

I think so? Maybe I misread something on Phoronix saying that xfce will put out a new version. Last update was more than a year ago. If nothing happens, then I'll gladly move to Gnome.

Ah I found something phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Xfce-4.14-Early-Report

>

its the ferrari of the OS world.
whats wrong with arch desu

Doesn't that basically make you a cuck?

I'm less disturbed by the fact that you use Arch than you believing that that isn't a DE. What am I paying school tax for?

windows 10

its not a DE bruh. look at my fetch, it says WM ONLY

that means no DE

everything else is piped together all unix style n shit my nigga.

I see a clock. It's not just managing windows.

Budgie? Absolutely.

GNOME is not one without flaws either. I had tearing issues with them as well, but it's mostly because of Nvidia not cooperating with their proprietary drivers. The option I used in xfce doesn't appear to work in GNOME last time I tried. It's also bloated as fuck hogging plenty of RAM and has some software running in the background taking up precious CPU usage. That being said I also like GNOME.

>best DE
>can't even set your mouse properly
What a fucking joke

>2016
>KDE
Lol

the status bar is a different program pasted on. you really dont know anything about wm do you? this is I3 M8
the smallest, lightest, bestest WM there IS NIGGA

What can you say about XFCE?

dwm outclasses it in every way imaginable, but even then you'd just be running a DE based on dwm. Unless you like not knowing the time.

That's not how you spell Awesome WM

Why are archfags so delusional?

>he isn't running KDE

XFCE is ugly as shit.

The day I go back to KDE is the day that hats become food.

how do you like not having options for how your windows behave?
awesome is for newfriends
in what way friendo

no it's not. not following a rapid release cycle does not make it dead. also parts of it get updated when they are ready and not just with a major release. blame your own shitty distro for keeping them for months

>awesome is for newfriends

i3 is for spergs.

Xfce+Kwin

I don't know, I don't use Windows like you do primarily.

GTFO tripfag
you stupid shit

i3 is for retracting yourself computing flow, starting of slow then eventually moving onto master race of never touching the mouse.

My workflow is 100% keyboard use now, and it's insanely faster. You waste a lot of cumulative time moving from keyboard to mouse and visa versa

KDE is the best DE.

It's fine for normies.

I have no need of the mouse in Awesome.

> no window movement between monitors.
Wait what? Seriously, no good multi monitor support? Looks like I'll skip Xfce then.

>2016
>Too poor for KDE
LMAO

Yeah to each their own, I'm mainly ripping on gnome/KDE manchildren. Tiling window managers or bust

Personally i3 is better since it's configuration options are super intuitive.

It's pretty dumb. There's a script out there that allows setting it up easily, but it's unforgivable that it isn't there natively.

>workflow
also GNOME does that

>but I prefer to use xfce
If only it had full gtk+3 support
Gnome 3 is getting better, first versions were a pain in the ass to use

I like being able to switch between floating / tiling with the press of a button, but I use GIMP et al a lot.

>That fuckhuge side bar

This

GNOME cucks on damage control

You seem to be forgetting that this is Linux. If you don't like it, get rid of it. The time it takes should be trivial compared to that time you wasted typing in a typical desktop install.

GNOME 3 gets a lot of love on Sup Forums, and I can see why!

It's unusable out of the box
You have to rice it until it's sane, and some of that will be doing programming yourself
The reasons for it being so unusable are unbearably pretentious nonsense spouted by programmers that have no idea what they're talking about
Your rice will break so you have to re-rice it until it functions sanely and doesn't eat half your screen (because gnome devs didn't actually use fitt's equation and forgot that it was a logarithm)

Use GNOME for the tiling WM ricer experience but more bloated so you can still say "i use a DE and therefore I didn't waste my time" when you think you're going to impress a girl

When the gnome faggots can't figure out how to add a feature they say things like
"you don't need it"
"if you want it don't use gnome"
"it's a waste of your time, learn to use what you have"

true apple wannabes

Nigger my job is embedded Linux development, I have my certain home screens internalized for certain tools and applications, switching between all of them sometimes as often as 10 times/minute.

Gnome can be used decently keyboard only, and is more intuitive for new tasks. But when you do the same over and over again, it's all tiling windows managers and macros/throwaway scripts

Yeah I really have no need for floating ever except the occasional save dialogue for some guis or Web browsing. But that's probably because we do different things

That's why you set a keyboard shortcut for opening the terminal and acknowledge the existence of alt+tab.

Can you make your top panel go vertical then?

you mean that's why you install an extension for multiple workspaces and then fix it yourself or wait for the dev to do it when gnome breaks the unsupported javascript API again

>Yeah I really have no need for floating ever except the occasional save dialogue for some guis or Web browsing. But that's probably because we do different things

We can agree that DE users are truly the worst though. They should just fuck off and buy a macbook.

>alt tab

Cute. I'm not trying to be edgy here, but I currently have 6 virtual desktops right now, Average of 4 terminal sessions/programs per desktop. The grouping is so clutch, since I have 4 terminals of related content on my 4th desktop, email/IM/Spotify/personal on another, etc. Alt tab would take me stupid amounts of time.

Now this is for a work environment disclaimer, but I got so used to it I use it for my personal laptop too. You need a few weeks of all the time tiling WM, once you go you never go back.

i3 or bust

That wouldn't work at all

A linux DE user secretly enjoys fixing broken shit and customizing in missing features, because all linux DEs are just bloated garbage that add almost no convenience. A mac would deprive them of that.

Hi, NEET faggot. Come at me

Workspaces exist in floating WMs too

Once you understand that a tiler will never approximate the true ideal arrangement of windows or their ideal sizes for readability and usability you will never go back to tiling

Yes agree completely. Its good when you start out windows to Linux, even good when becoming a moderate user (you can do a lot of keyboard shit on GNOME/KDE), but you hit that wall. Tiling and lightweight WM are the way to increase your productivity by 30% easily after you get over the learning curve

Yeah, I do use my mouse to adjust the tile sizes, but that was like once 2 weeks ago, the shape of Windows stays the same when I put new terminals in or new programs, etc

Besides, the "cut vertically/cut horizontally" and moving of Windows in the perfect symmetric sense is useful 90% of the time

WMs hit a wall

The best way to increase productivity is to use one application for everything

The UI is always consistent
The API is always consistent
Everything is consistent
Consistent and infinite

Emacs, acme, or bust.

Have you people never heard of workspaces? They're not even new. GNOME 2 had those for a long long time.

The wall that exists with these DEs is hugely caused by people not knowing how to use said DEs because they never bothered to RTFM. The learning curve for tiling window managers is not worth it because these features already existed in the DEs you were told to scorn. Put simply, you got memed.

>bloat
Just use openbox or gtfo

>how to tile in GNOME
Get out vim, user, we're learning javascript!
>how to tile in a tiling WM
rtfm

>unironically owns a computer with less than 4GB RAM
>fell for the old thinkpad best thinkpad meme

LXDE all the way boys!

The manual, user. Read it.

No it isn't, cinnamon is. Xfce is clearly the best.

I'm not at the emacs level of wizard yet, I learned vim. But that probably is the most efficient way I agree

Not as intuitive and quick as i3. Besides, $mod + 6, $mod + H + enter + enter, $mod + v enter + left + enter, 4 new terminals open in a new workspace, all accessible off the bat, and can switch back to any other workspace. Took me literally 10ms. Takes you 5 seconds of dragging at least.

Maybe true. My i3 learning curve was 1 week up to my previous workflow rate, my rate was up 20% after 2 week, maxed out 30% ish now. Not too long at all.

I should have said "automatic, flexible tiling" not fucking worthless window snapping

Just in case you were too stupid to read between the lines, like you ended up being

>hogging plenty of RAM
Not even true. I install everything under the sun and even with firefox running, Gnome still uses less than a gig of ram.Nothing in Linux uses all that much ram, except for virtual shit.

I wonder why I even bother coming back to Sup Forums in 2016. These shit memes are the same ones I worked to dispel years ago. Evidently I left and they didn't.

gnome is shoved down the throats of new users because freetards

it's gnu so it's gotta be the default

gnome = gnu object model environment = oh yes stallman stick your tiny gnu/penis further down my asshole

This. Gnome even uses the same basic keybinds as i3.

>Just in case you were too stupid to read between the lines
Its pretty retarded to tell people to read between the lines because you are too inept to say what actually has to be said.

>implying you can't have keyboard only workflow on XFCE

It's also the flagship desktop of the Red Hat corporation, you know the singular organization responsible for the continued existence of Linux. It's also good.

Wouldn't gentoo be the ferrari of the OS world?
>speed gains that almost no one really needs, increased maintenance, users always feel the need to bring it up because of superiority complex

Can you open a program by hitting start and typing its name on Xfce? Why not?

There's an add-on to shrink and auto-hide it. The main problem with Gnome 3 is the lack of any organized documentation for using it. Many faggots are under the impression that it's designed to be used like a tablet and that's entirely untrue.

Nope, portage is slow. It's written in python.

Out of the box
Alt+F2 negro
Or do it the windows way and have that feature within your application use (with the Whiskermenu panel plugin)

gtk based DE's are garbage. You can't prove me wrong

tbqh I see no reason to change from Unity on my install

Cinnamon is actually one of the most popular de's. I love xfce second to fluxbox.

Most people I teach and install Linux for prefer Cinnamon, unless they are on a netbook, Laptop or older PC they use XFCE, every once in a while I install Mate for those that want the panel on the side and if someone want's the absolute most advanced and has the time to fine tune every aspect then I would suggest KDE, but I have not used it in so long that I can't offer much help.

QT is much better and more unified. Lxqt is pretty great.

Why your i3 looks so normie?

Because he's a fresh archkid who thinks he's the hottest shit on the block now

>thumbnails
See Also, there is no NFS bookmark in gtk3 uploader/downloader dialog.

Drag and drop does NOT work with NFS. Nice DE, gtk kuck

GTK and QT both suck. But QT does suck a little less. LxQT does seem to have potential, but for now it seems unfinished and a mix of razor-qt and lxde /w qt.

>>As for the thread.
For now i'd have to say that XFCE is the best DE. Always works and it is quick. GNOME was best but 3.0 fucked everything up. KDE is glitchy and slow. Mate feels old and cinnamon feels like windows clone.

Do it via terminal or make your own configfiles for your device. Easypeasy.

Nice meme, I don't want to configure GUI from config files, the results will not be apparent or intuitive

We have reached a point where an autistic tilling wm is considered normie now

The best DE is no DE.

KDE is getting pretty good and has regular updates

neon.kde.org/download

I would use most complete instead of best. There are others that do a lot of things much better than Gnome does but they lack in other stuff while Gnome is decent all around.