Intel spying our asses

Recent Intel x86 processors implement a secret, powerful control mechanism that runs on a separate chip that no one is allowed to audit or examine. When these are eventually compromised, they'll expose all affected systems to nearly unkillable, undetectable rootkit attacks. I've made it my mission to open up this system and make free, open replacements, before it's too late.

More about this;
boingboing.net/2016/06/15/intel-x86-processors-ship-with.html

Other urls found in this thread:

win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> I've made it my mission to open up this system and make free, open replacements, before it's too late.
You're the hero that Sup Forums needs but doesn't deserve, godspeed my dude... godspeed.

>Posters: 2
I find that hard to believe

Kill yourself tripfag

Let me know when you can beat intel at x86

You're like 8 years late

>x86
>recent
who or what would that even apply to?

>I refer to the ME as the Damagement Engine, since it is a hardware add-on that damages your security.

THE SOUL OF WIT RIGHT THERE FOLKS
I bet that joke tested well with all his friend.

Is it bad that I've downloaded and installed ME software and firmware updates from here: win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

Waiting for zen. Fuck Intel

I'm quite sure he meant everything intel has out atm minus arm.

>connecting computers to a network and expecting them to be secure
user...

>So, what we have is an open source crusader scaring the daylights out of people on a giant what-if scenario that even he admits couldn't happen in our lifetimes.

I wonder who the real shill is here ?

>That's 2,048-bit security, which would require any attempt to break it to factorize semi-primes with approximately 617 decimal digits, which Zammit admits at this point is "pretty much impossible in one human lifetime for anyone with the biggest supercomputer."

>he

You could just block its traffic with a trusted hardware firewall. From what Intel states it's a matter of blocking a certain range of ports, which any home router already does. For the truly paranoid, you can block the Intel ME interface with packet fingerprinting and filtering.

it

>intel is spying on you!
I assume you have logged this network traffic.
>but they have network management shit built into their processors!
So does most of the hardware in your system and it is probably put to use by many businesses. Doesn't mean Intel is farming data from everyone.
>but it could allow unkillable rootkits!
Our hardware has always been vulnerable and the best defense has always been the same thing. Common sense.

>they fell for the x86 meme

>x86 cpus

I remember 2005, too

My wife's son's father works at Intel and he can confirm this.

Amd has his own version called psp.

>China makes a 256 core CPU that has better multithreaded performance than a Xeon
>Intel is busy bloating their chips with backdoors

The point about factorization is moot once quantum computers move a bit further along in their development.

>amd cpus have exploitable backdoors
[citation needed]

>AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP)

>This is basically AMD’s own version of the Intel Management Engine. It has all of the same basic security and freedom issues, although the implementation is wildly different.

>The Platform Security Processor (PSP) is built in on all Family 16h + systems (basically anything post-2013), and controls the main x86 core startup. PSP firmware is cryptographically signed with a strong key similar to the Intel ME. If the PSP firmware is not present, or if the AMD signing key is not present, the x86 cores will not be released from reset, rendering the system inoperable.

>The PSP is an ARM core with TrustZone technology, built onto the main CPU die. As such, it has the ability to hide its own program code, scratch RAM, and any data it may have taken and stored from the lesser-privileged x86 system RAM (kernel encryption keys, login data, browsing history, keystrokes, who knows!). To make matters worse, the PSP theoretically has access to the entire system memory space (AMD either will not or cannot deny this, and it would seem to be required to allow the DRM “features” to work as intended), which means that it has at minimum MMIO-based access to the network controllers and any other PCI/PCIe peripherals installed on the system.

>In theory any malicious entity with access to the AMD signing key would be able to install persistent malware that could not be eradicated without an external flasher and a known good PSP image. Furthermore, multiple security vulnerabilities have been demonstrated in AMD firmware in the past, and there is every reason to assume one or more zero day vulnerabilities are lurking in the PSP firmware. Given the extreme privilege level (ring -2 or ring -3) of the PSP, said vulnerabilities would have the ability to remotely monitor and control any PSP enabled machine. completely outside of the user’s knowledge.

So the goal of these security co-processors is to basically allow the US government to covertly install spyware on any computer in the world, right?

>>In theory
if you were to go that route
>you are most likely to be killed than your computer is to crash or be stolen, jamal

Kek

Where will you be when Apple switches to ARM processors and Windows PCs stay with said x86 chipsets?

It's the same for both intel and amd you can't audit the code so it's just "in theory" but still a security risk inside the hardware (a fucking ring -3 security problem).

zen has the same shit you retard. In fact i would reckon amd's shit is less secure than jewtel.

who cares

Try not to shoot yourself twice in the back of the head. Seriously I'd hesitate to announce such a thing.

>Waiting for zen. Fuck Intel
AMD has had something similar in all post-2012 processor designs (Steamroller, Excavator, and Zen when it comes out), they call it the Platform Security Processor or more recently the Security Processor. Only their current Vishera series and older APUs are safe.

You left out how the US government has been trying to set a legal precedent for forcing companies to sign malware for them recently.