Why do Windows users still allow microsoft to fuck them in the ass?

Why do Windows users still allow microsoft to fuck them in the ass?

I mean, just look at the inherent driver problem windows has:

- company makes a printer
- company releases driver for the current windows version
- new windows version comes out
- microsoft forces you to update
- printer is now useless

How is this still acceptable? And then there is the constant rebooting. And an antivirus scanner is practically mandatory. And the registry. I mean, come on, it's 2016. And then you have to deal with your system literally getting slower the longer you use it????

Why do windows users continue to buy this crap?

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/05/06/2119246/recommended-windows-7-update-is-breaking-pcs-with-asus-motherboards
computerworld.com/article/2491256/malware-vulnerabilities/microsoft-urges-customers-to-uninstall-blue-screen-of-death-update.html
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557573(v=vs.85).aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's still better than any Linux distro.

yeah i'm kind of a glass half full type of guy, i don't worry about petty shit like that.

>buy printer in 2005
>linux has a driver
>2016
>linux still has the same driver
>printer still works
??????

I get what you are saying, but I honestly have not had any issues with drivers with printers for awhile, and that is with printers that are from the XP era.

Now, if you want to talk about some of the issues laptops or some desktops had when switching to W10, then that is fair game.

1. they don't know any better
2. they're used to windows and don't want to spend time relearning how to do things (nevermind that most of them only do trivial things that could be picked up quickly)
3. they tried linux once, didn't understand anything and assumed linux was in the wrong (see 1 and 2)

if people want to be dumb and ignorant, there is nothing you can do to help them. just leave them be

Not everyone is NEET.

Got shit to do.

>printer doesn't work
>have to reboot
>antivirus scanner doing mandatory system wide scan making it unusable
>system crawling after 1 year without a reinstall

>>>>getting things done

???????

>Find old hp printer from 2007
>Plug it on my w10 desktop
>it
>fucking
>works
>don't even have to install hp software or anything

Now delete this cancerous thread, fuck off and kill yourself.

delete your account

>linux has a driver

Wew lad

linux has more drivers than windows 10

I don't choose my operating system based on its compatiblity with 10 year old printers.

Maybe the government needs to force windows to have driver compatibility in future windows versions.

Microsoft pays companies to give them support and most of the good software outs made for Windows

microsoft isn't paying them enough apparently

> - microsoft forces you to update
That's wrong though. They encourage you to, but if you're not retarded you can download a 2MB file that stops all popups.

I've never had any driver problems. My HP Printer from 2006 works just fine in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Even though back in 06 most things were still only 32bit and XP was king. Windows Ten is shit. Windows 7 works just fine so why would I fuck that up.

>if your not retarded
so you're saying they're forcing 95% of their users

to be honest I'm a Linux lover and I can tell you that most of the drivers that I find are legacy, usually I'm unable to find any drivers for new peripherals
I really think that Windows has more drivers and support than Linux

>find
what are you even talking about? there are more drivers built into the linux kernel than there are any kind of drivers for windows

The retarded ones deserve it

If they can't change Windows Update to 'Never check or download' and can't search 'Never10', they get what they get.

Unoriginal

It has more outdated drivers if that's what you mean.

wtf is an outdated driver? does the same device magically change over time so that the driver has to be changed?

>The retarded ones deserve it
wow what a great point, it still forces you to upgrade.

That's like saying a police officer can beat you for not knowing your rights. They're the ones with the power and are supposed to inform you of your rights. Why should large companies like Microsoft not be held to a similar standard?

Man, I just use Windows because it's easy to use and pretty much every mainstream application works with it.

inb4 ylyl

> it still forces you to upgrade
> Forces
Then how am I still running Windows 8.1 on all three of my devices? If it forced me, I wouldn't be able to stay at 8.1. As it is, there's no icon in the bottom right and there are no pop-ups whatsoever.

It doesn't FORCE you to, it highly recommends that you do.

I need AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Sketchup and Photoshop for work. That's why.

So you need more files to get it to work?

What kind of work is that?

If people don't read the EULA or patch notes, that's not MS' fault. Almost all details of updates are a matter of public record on their site.

Of course, please be aware I'm not condoning MS' spying bullshit. There's a reason I'm still on 8.1 (even if it IS rapidly becoming as bad as Win10)

Architecture and urban design.

Yes yes, well done with your architecture job.

HOWEVER

most windows users don't work in architecture.

I work in a local newspaper and I use Photoshop and InDesign daily, as well as shit like Filezilla.

>if you don't read your rights online before being arrested you should still be beaten
>"i don't support ms bullshit"
Yeah, sure. Ok.

alright alright

HOWEVER

this still leaves 99.99% of windows users

Before I worked in the newspaper I worked in a computer repair store, wherein almost 100% of the computers brought in ran various versions of Windows, so Windows-centric software was essential, with the majority of OSes being Win7 or 8.1 at the time.

you got me there

HOWEVER

I kinda don't? I use Windows 7 and it's not even kept up to date. All the software that I need works on it and my hardware is as old as the OS. I have no interest in upgrading to Windows 10.

>Say linux is better
>Reel in the Windows 10 fanboys
>Bait some more
>???
>Profit

10 doesn't like either my mobo's integrated sound or my WiFi adapter (houses only RJ-11 port is on the other side of the house, and ISP only offers DSL). So I keep getting my WiFi dropped and the sound keeps cutting out. I wish 7 weren't being depreciated.

>You buy a printer
>Linux freetards back engineer a shitty printer driver
>Your printer only prints in libre fonts
>Driver has a bug and prints 500 pages of the images in your lolicon folder
>Your boss fires you for being a linux pedophile
>End up homeless on the streets writing free software for crack
>RMS wont let you sleep at his house because you smell even worse than he does

happened to me

>Why do Windows users still allow microsoft to fuck them in the ass?
Most Windows users are tech illiterate.

7 is still supported until 2020. I am using it in my GPU passthrough. I keep it in a VM where it can't hurt anyone.

Most people just use what it comes bundled with the computer, the sad part is those who are conscious on this and still just don't care. As some posts like this one says , there's an small amount of people who must use windows independently if they like it or not, but i don't think this is a beneficial situation for anyone, including them. It may serve as an argument on why windows is "better" than linux if wining that argument is what it matters to them, but i still not see a benefit on them not having option in the first place.

printers are like 25 bucks, the ink they come with costs more than the printer itself, lol. kill yourself retard.

>plug 2016 printer into 2016 Linux computer.
>no driver available
>find open source driver
>compile from source
>finally installs on third try
>printer don't work
>reboot
>gui crashes on startup
>reboot
>kernel panic
>install Windows
>all drivers pulled from Windows update as it installs
>itjustwerks.jpeg

>things that never happened

i think you was referring to this one no need to thank me

The edge on this post sliced me deep

If you're using it in a VM then there's literally no reason not to use the botnet 10.

>tfw my cpu doesn't support vt-d.

CUPS is actively developed by Apple. It does in fact "just werk".

Overwatch doesn't run on Linux

>kernel panic installing printer
How I know you tried Gentoo.

>DX12
Yea, not for a bit. Crossover is working on DX11 and 12 though.

I was actually about to switch to Fedora and a minute before I did this came to my head and I gave up

- Company makes a printer
- Official linux drivers don't support duplex
- You're using the box as a print server.
- Cups is kind of a PITA.
- Oh great now you have to configure samba and avahi because other people want to use the printer.
- Suddenly duplex works
- From the host
- Everyone has to use it as generic postscript, and duplex doesn't work, or else the foomertic filters fail
- Samba and avahi are unstable, always, shit keeps dropping peeps
- Fuck linux
- Microsoft doesn't force you to update.
- It's a print server on a LAN and it's not reachable via the internet fuck security.
- Linux doesn't support WOWLAN for your NIC and fuck if you're buying another one, because linux is for wired servers in datacenters, not home applications
- Windows wins again,

>inkjet

>printer
>2000 + 16

Oh but
>kb2776718
>This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

If microsoft somehow forces me to update I'm fucked anyways

topkek, should have used a mac mini with WOD

But windows 10 has many more issues than just the spying. The interface is fragmented and there are around 6 different menu styles in the default theme, system configuration is fragmented (some settings need the control panel, some need the windows 10 settings app, and some are missing), and the biggest one for me: the start menu search is basically completely broken.

In windows 7 you can hit super, type the name of the program (even abbreviations like "dev man" or "win upd") and hit enter immediately after typing to launch the program. In windows 8 and up, if you do not wait for the results of the search, it will do a web search or open the wrong program. I do not know how they could butcher such a simple feature.

The only reason I would use 10 in my passthrough is if there was a dx12 game I absolutely had to play. And even then I would run it alongside 7 on another drive.

I work at a computer repair store, and in my opinion 10 has been worse than vista with the amount of bugs and compatibility issues. Even without the surveillance it would still be a subpar OS.

I stand corrected.
I never really used that piece of shit and I vowed to never install it on anything (would consider running it on a VM though).

Too bad I'm still stuck on windows for the foreseeable future because muh games, but I hope in a few years I can finally make the switch to GNU and never have to look back.

>Even without the surveillance it would still be a subpar OS.
It's kind of a beta, though. So it's not like you can be surprised.

They aren't calling it beta, but it is factually a beta product that they are sending to guinea pigs to test. They do it for free.

They are called wincuckolds for a reason

Next time you look at upgrading your system you should look for vt-d support. Now that I have the passthough, I almost never use windows. When I dual booted I used to switch back to windows for a while when I played a game, but with the VM I was able to use GNU/Linux a lot more. Now most of the games I play have native GNU/Linux support.

And that is why it is annoying that MS is pushing it so hard. A couple months ago they started doing it without people's consent, and for a while we were getting multiple calls every hour at the place where I work. This was when MS started taking a lack of a no as consent for the windows 10 upgrade. If you ignore the window/ are not at your computer it will just upgrade for you. We now run a program on most computers to stop it from autoinstalling 10. MS is trying to bump up the 10 adoption rates to impress shareholders/ mine more data. This goes to show that with proprietary software the developer owns your computer, not you.

They don't own it either. Whoever controls Intel ME owns your computer.

Not on the x200 I liberated.

Core2Duos have it tho.

>autoinstalling
I can kind of understand this for a home user who just clicks ok or closes every dialog box without even looking at it, but if you're actually in charge of a computer network and just set everything to install automatically and whine when it does, you should put a gun in your mouth and kill yourself.

How the fuck do you not even have a test system to check batches of new updates before rolling them out on your production machines? Did you legitimately just set production machines auto install any and all updates because you're that fucking incompetent and retarded? Do you even consider compatibility and software conflicts? Christ retards like you are why IT is seen as a necessary evil rather than an asset to the company.

But Libreboot disables Intel ME by replacing firmware it needs to function. After Librebooting, no proprietary code executes, and all it can do is lie dormant on the silicon.

libreboot.org/faq/#intelme

>not knowing how to maintain a system
better reinstall cus I'm incompetent

Autoinstalling makes some sense for OS patches, but not for a completely new OS. Also, MS has pushed some of their win 10 ads as security patches, which circumvents that method of stopping it.

He's still retarded for checking the recommended updates box, which are known to contain driver updates which is just asking for trouble, and other types of updates including IE version updates that can break compatibility with various banking/other websites.

The only security update with any relation to W10 upgrade is the IE "ad" which is just a box in the new tab page on IE, and the user has to actually read it and click it.

>Autoinstalling makes some sense for OS patches
How new are you? Microshit has literally bricked many computers like this.

>any OS install
>brick computer

How new are you?

further to that -- microsoft forces upgrade, your printer is bricked (happening all over the place with windows 10 now) -- microsoft "upgrades" your driver & your printer/device is bricked.

registry .. defragging .. windows is 90s technology
because their software is such a mess, they haven't upgraded anything. They can't fix anything major, because it breaks everything else. It's a fragile mess

>forces upgrade
ITT retards that need W10 forced on them

I was looking for a different time this happened, but apparently they've done it again.

hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/05/06/2119246/recommended-windows-7-update-is-breaking-pcs-with-asus-motherboards

I recently upgraded ubuntu to 16 while watching a movie & continuing to work -- none of this "scheduling", no sucking of bandwidth whether I upgrade or not, no multiple reboots -- no shutdown even. It wasn't an issue. There are so many issues with microsoft platform/windows; the user is dealing with their shortcomings. Primitive technology

it's 2016 and nobody is sure what their desktop is -- their desktop is in beta
shifting sands, since the turn of the century & on

And this is the one I was looking for.

computerworld.com/article/2491256/malware-vulnerabilities/microsoft-urges-customers-to-uninstall-blue-screen-of-death-update.html

>>If people don't read the EULA or patch notes, that's not MS' fault.

you should read & absorb the EULA. all of it

He didn't, he works at a computer repair store.

MFW I've been using the same printer since 2008 and haven't installed drivers, ever. It's also just a printer, not a scanner or other crap I'll rarely use at home. If someone tells me to scan something I turn on some good lighting, take a picture with my phone, crop it on phone, send it off, and nobody has said a thing.

>This problem occurs because ASUS allowed the main board to enable the Secure Boot process even though Windows 7 does not support this feature."
Ok kid.

>printer maker writes a bad driver/driver with programmed obsolence
>printer maker pass it to microsoft to distribute it
>microsoft is the guilty if the printer doesnt work

>buy software in 2002
>works on contemporary version of windows
>several new versions of windows come out
>software still works
>tries to do the same on linux
>software relies on very specific version of glibc that has been deprecated since 2003
>cry because wincucks will never understand the beauty of linux

Stallman be praised

Bug fixes and performance increases.

Have you read the entire law of your country and all the international and local laws you need to be aware of?
The EULA is literally made to be hard to read and long, so that people wont read it. I would spend a week of every year if I had read all the EULA's I am supposed to agree to.
Easier to just know the local laws and tell them to fuck themselves, since EULA is not valid in any sane countries.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557573(v=vs.85).aspx

>Windows 10
>Windows 8.1
>Windows 8
>Windows 7
>Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview
>Windows Server 2008 R2

if you use anything older - youre idiot

Last time I tried my printer from 2010 on Linux, there was only driver for one model higher and one model lower. And it was fucking last year.
And I was hoping just for printing and not scanning...

>install Windows 7
>have to install a fucking Ethernet driver for my internet connection to work

>install any Linux distro (even Arch Linux)
>it works

>b..b...but Linux has no drivers
Winfags will defend this

>install 8 year old iso on 2016 hardware
>"omg y it dozen have driver?!?!?!"
Neck yourself.

is it his fault MS hasn't released an iso of win7 newer than 2011 (last i checked)?

feels fuckin good nigga
>when they hit the prostate just right

>holy shit why the fuck has W7 15GB?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!
>I'm gonna download it from torrents and join the Russian botnet because Russians wouldn't do anything bad, I'm not downloading 15GB ISO holy shit

Why didn't you just compile it against a newer glibc version?