/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/
box-look.org
gnome-look.org
omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/06/arc-gtk-theme
noobslab.com/search/label/macbuntu
ghostbin.com/paste/atb7t
github.com/ubuntufag/System6-theme
darkdoomer.deviantart.com/art/da-motherfuckin-irix-icon-set-179568520
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298
snwh.org/paper/icons/
ghostbin.com/paste/nsdkf
svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/10.3.0/bin/ls/ls.c?view=markup
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/ls.c
bxr.su/FreeBSD/usr.bin/yes/yes.c
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/yes.c
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Arch is the best

(you)

Can we have one thread where people doesn't reply to the trolls ? I'm starting to get bored of all those
>arch users are faggots
>stallman is pedo
>gnu/linux vs linux

I still don't get the point of all those discussions.

In the process of setting up ubuntu mate in virtualbox for my first time, total linux noob

I got a question for vim regulars who have tried evil mode on emacs. How good and accurate is it for a vim emulation.

>Ubuntu
see

That's nice darling, I prefer slackware personally.

Sorry

Calm down newfriend, it's Sup Forums. A website where people enjoy acting retarded.

Install Arch if you actually want to learn about the inner workings of Linux.

Thank you, i will look into it

It's pretty reasonable. Some things don't work entirely as expected, like I think gqap or ^L to clear the screen, though I think the former is probably related to settings I haven't found (yet). About the first thing I missed was surround.vim, but evil-surround seems to be a perfect replacement. I'm one of those weird people who like hybrid line numbers, so linum-relative is a must. Emacs code-folding is also kind of bullshit, so I also use evil-vimish-fold, which is Good Enough. There's a bunch of blog posts by people who have tried going from one to the other if you want to try it yourself. "From Vim To Emacs in Fourteen Days" was a decent one as was "From Vim to Emacs+Chaotic Evil Migration Guide".

ayylmao

stop breeding newfags running arch, zsh and powerline but don't even know how to mount a cd image

i wanna try a new linux distro. should i choose manjaro, opensuse, fedora or something else? i have only used debian based distros up until now.

i dont configuring shit and googling errors constantly so im looking for something that just werks

Arch is for advanced users.

If you want to use a 'just werks' distro that isn't a complete joke (like the distros you mentioned in your post) install Debian.

Please stop spreading this meme. You'll learn more from slackware than you would from arch.

Try bunsenlabs. It's basically the same as crunchbang was: Debian, prericed and nicely configured.

OK, so all I need is a bit of tweaking and it will be a perfect emulation for vim?

install gentoo

>arch users are faggots
But it's true, here's proof.

I said 'reasonable', not 'perfect', but it's worth giving a shot if only for the learning experience and trying to understand the overall appeal and potential. Evil does still seem to get improvements from time to time, iirc.

But the gentoo, Like the Arch install, is merely copy and pasting commands from an install guide.

Installing Ubuntu is merely clicking a few buttons that copy and paste the commands for you. Your point?

The best distro is the one which is the most difficult to install, because it provides the hugest epenis.

does the size even matter when everyone is anonymous anyway?

Install Linux From Scratch then and be happy

Gentoo is for people that are too dumb for LFS

The guy I replied to implied that the Gentoo install taught you about Linux.

>implying implied implycations

With Gentoo, you actually configure Linux, while on Arch, you just get the vanilla kernel.

No you don't actually have to configure your kernel. You can run genkernel.

Ah. It does, to a certain degree. You get to put many of the pieces together yourself and see how they fit together. You also learn about your packages by being exposed to their compile-time options and USE flags. I'd argue he's right on that point versus Arch, which uses binary packages, and the install is a bit more involved than Arch iirc. Just because you're following a document doesn't mean you aren't learning. Unless you're just blindly copying+pasting and then bitching on IRC that nothing works. Then you're just an idiot.

>can

You do realise you can set kernel parameters before running mkinitcpio, right?

And why wouldn't a new Linux user do that? Besides configuring your kernel doesn't teach you anything, except pressing Y to enable support for something.

Ok, so you learn about USE flags, a feature unique to Gentoo and Gentoo derivatives. You don't learn anything specific to Linux just by reading the Gentoo handbook.

What's your point?

>why wouldn't a new Linux user do that?
Learning about Linux and configure it to his needs?

By "Linux" are you referring to the kernel, shared userland tools, or something else? The handbook touches on both the kernel and the userland tools as well as gentoo-specific tools, and the Arch wiki covers the same topics, so I'm not sure I'm following you.

Sorry you're having trouble following me. Arch doesn't teach you anything just like Gentoo doesn't teach you anything.
>By "Linux" are you referring to the kernel, shared userland tools, or something else?
I'm referring to the Operating System, linux.

>not reading LFS
>not making its own distribution
bunch of newfags. Enjoying your summer holidays ?

My point is is a clueless shitposter

>I'm referring to the Operating System, linux.
Is this bait?

genkernel configures your needs automatically.

Go away and take your genkernel with you, newfag. Adults are talking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
>Linux (pronounced Listeni/ˈlJnəks/ LIN-əks[9][10] or, less frequently, /ˈlaJnəks/ LYN-əks[10][11]) is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant[12] computer operating system (OS) assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution.

It's not GNU/Linux fuck boy. It's just Linux.

Define "operating system", if you please, because Linux is just the kernel, and most people look at more than the kernel when thinking of the operating system.

Linux is what the operating system is called.

Thanks for confirming.

Glad I could help.

Right then, I'm done here.

By the media and companies. a lot of the community uses the more neutral term GNU/Linux. But i am repling to bait again and should stop.

Reminder we have two thread on /t/

One on torrenting ported videogames
One on torrenting tutorial videos and IT learning material

No. The majority of the community calls it Linux. A select few call it GNU/Linux. I'm more inclined to side with the majority on this one. You are of course free to call it whatever you want, but don't be shocked when people give you strange looks.

What's the most newbie friendly tiling window manager in my GNU/Linux system?

This is MY bait!

Linux is the kernel. While it's actually an operating system on it's own, it's incomplete and so is the GNU operating system. Together, both parts are a complete operating system.

Yep, it's stilled called Linux though.

awesome comes with a usable configuration out of the box and a decent manual. Could try that.

So you want Debian GNU/kFreeBSD users to call their system "Just Linux"?

Does it have minimize or maximize button?

Can this be added to the OP?

Ricing GNU/Linux is not made by only choosing themes and colors, but what software goes in your computer. "Display Managers" are the login screens, "Window Managers" are the part drawing the borders, colors, etc, and "File Managers" are what handles how you browse your machine. More info:

>Window Manager Reviews. To decide the main look and feel.
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw

>GNU/Linux Software Big List. For options on many more stuff.
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw

>How to Customize your Bash Prompt
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/

>Where to get some themes and icons
box-look.org
gnome-look.org

Arc, a GTK Theme: omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/06/arc-gtk-theme
Mac OS X (MacBuntu) Transformation pack for Ubuntu: noobslab.com/search/label/macbuntu
How to have a Win 95 theme on Lubuntu: ghostbin.com/paste/atb7t
Macintosh System 6 XFCE4 Theme: github.com/ubuntufag/System6-theme

IRIX icons: darkdoomer.deviantart.com/art/da-motherfuckin-irix-icon-set-179568520
Win95 icons: gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298
Paper Icon Set: snwh.org/paper/icons/

>Starting x without DM or Login Manager
ghostbin.com/paste/nsdkf

theres a version of manjaro with pre riced i3 you could try

So mad lol.

If you're unsure about the systems name, just ask the system itself.
uname -o

meant to reply to

[user1@primary ~]$ uname -o
GNU/Linux

It's called Linux for short. No one except for autists in this thread called it GNU/Linux.

Why is the IRC channel called flt? That would mean it is called friendly linux thread.

You mean stupid normalfags? Yeah. The same people who say "I photoshopped it" when they used GIMP.

Well, I get your point. It's Just Photoshop.

Because the irc channel is older than the thread title.

Yeah just like people say "cuz" instead of because. AKA niggers

Remember:
Ignore Microsoft/anti-Linux trolls.
Ignore BSD/anti-GNU trolls.
Ignore anti-OpenRC/anti-Upstart/anti-Mir trolls.

Mark them as bait. You are invited to share/create copypasta to prevent doubts they create.

>replying to bait

It's actually Debian Linux, or just Debian, or just Linux.

Why is GNU so bloated?

Compare for example Freebsd ls with GNU
FreeBSD ls 903 lines svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/10.3.0/bin/ls/ls.c?view=markup
GNU ls 4977 lines git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/ls.c

look at this tiny 'yes' command all it does is output a string repeatedly until killed
bxr.su/FreeBSD/usr.bin/yes/yes.c
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/yes.c

Because Richard Stallman is a hack and shouldn't be allowed to choose the name for Linux.

>ported videogames

In case you want free as in freedom alternatives, here is a list of open source videogames for GNU/Linux
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

Umm, this discussion has gone on quite long enough, thank you very much. It doesn't really matter what people call Linux, as long as credit is given where credit is due (on both sides). Personally, I'll very much continue to call it "Linux", ...

The GNU people tried calling it GNU/Linux, and that's ok. It's certainly no worse a name than "Linux Pro" or "Red Hat Linux" or "Slackware Linux" ...

Lignux is just a punny name - I think Linux/GNU or GNU/Linux is a bit more "professional" ...

>implying the lenght of the code is because of the license

Should I call my install GNU/every program installed/Linux?

No, other programs are part of the distributions and they vary anyway.

Strawman. Try again.

So what if you don't know, you look it up on the wiki, do it, and learn something new. You have to start somewhere.

coreutils are in every distribution

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux, remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution that can heal broken installs. And (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:

Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, and uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
Even the documentation is licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage? You haven't seen anything like SMGL's "sorcery". Making "spells" to install new packages is as easy as editing files sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

sourcemage.org/

The coreutils are part of the core OS; the GNU part.

If you uncomment the window decorations in config.lua, yes

Why would you use free software? It's trash and nothing works.

Just fuck off finally.

I've realized many distros (well, Ubuntu and Mint) sometimes struggle to detect my 1TB external drive. I'm about to switch to Manjaro now and I'm guessing it'll be the same (I used the USB for booting into the OS, make sure everything works, without installing), and It didn't detect my ext. drive either.

Any tips? How can I fix this? How can I make linux to see my drive with the flow of a win10 os?

I never been to the Linux General subreddit, just wanted to see what it is all about and I must say not impressed.

what programs do you use to control fans and monitor temps?

Reading the documentation for USB install
># fdisk -cu /dev/sdb
>then, in sequence, type something like:
>o*n*p*1***t*83*a*1*w*
>replacing each * with a powerful stroke on your Enter key.

no thanks

What do you mean by struggle to detect? Does it show up if you run lsblk?

When it does, it works fine and it shows in the file manager and everything, but when it does not, it does not show up with lsblk, normally I have to restart either the PC or the drive couple of times until the OS realizes it is there.

A lot of those big externals have this bullshit firmware glue. I bet that's what the overall issue is. Shit like that give me fits at times doing computer repair because once that firmware goes out so does any hope of getting at that data even if the rest of it is fine. I feel your pain.

do they have to be rewritten?

I tried ubuntu, arch, and finally mint
Ubuntu i couldnt get to install right, had some weird lighting glitch
Arch i followed some guy on youtubes install and i probably just made a tyoo but couldnt get past partitioning the drive
Mint is installing right now

You're probably right, I guess its a fucking gg and that's all. The Pain of Freedom.