USB-c VS 3,5mm ???

Many new phones are coming out WITHOUT a 3,5mm jack, meanwhile most people use 3,5mm headphones every day.

Some might argue for the benefits of usb headphones, but that is not relevant. Firstly - they are minimal, but most importantly it's not a reason to take away the choice and complicate most peoples lives with adapters and not being able to charge while using a cable.

The true question is, 3,5mm vs. thinner phone. This cannot be stressed enough. Do you think taking away the 3,5mm jack for the practically indefensible but very fashionable thinner phone? Keep in mind, anything beyond ~1mm thinner than currently is just compromising with other components like battery.

I don't think people care because half the people walk around with fatass cases on their phones anyway.

Making the phones thinner and thinner at the expense of functionality and battery life is bullshit.

Battery technology is improving but phones aren't lasting any longer and sometimes even dying sooner because for every improvement in battery tech, they make the phone thinner and the battery smaller.

This consumerist bullshit has to stop. Who fucking cares how thin your phone is?

Just don't buy a phone that doesn't have one.

this

why do people need thinner 5,5" phones?

Of course, another side effect of phones becoming fashion accessories, they became super fragile. Remember when they didn't need a case...

>aren't lasting any longer and sometimes even dying sooner
Yeah especially if you stress them, these days they're reliant on low brightness(making high end screen pointless) and low system load.

>Who fucking cares how thin your phone is?
Few do when they think about it, but they go mostly by a mix of instinct and indoctrination.

Its not abou thinness, 3,5 jack takes a lot of space inside the device. And there is really no reason to have two ports on a phone. 1 port is enough, if it can do everything why not?

Phones will be more durable, more solid, more resistant etc

Making the phones thinner and thinner will have the opposite effect of making them more durable, solid, and resistant. it makes them break easier.

And fuck having to buy a new pair of USB headphones. The phone will probably come with some shitty earbuds that fit it but fuck that.

>meanwhile most people use 3,5mm headphones every day.
citation needed

Get some bluetooth headphones. Problem solved

>Making the phones thinner and thinner will have the opposite effect of making them more durable, solid, and resistant. it makes them break easier.

Im not talking about making phones thinner retard, im talking about removing the jack.

He was talking about how the 3.5mm forces the phone to be slightly wider, making it slightly more sturdy (of course, with the right engineering).

Moreover, a 3.5mm jack does not add much to the phone's size. Sure, it adds 3.5mm, but I feel that should be the limit to how thin a phone gets, regardless.

>higher battery usage and two devices to charge
no thank you

I love HTC 10 how they managed to have both

>3.5mm forces the phone to be slightly wider
no it doesnt

And like I said, its not about thinness its about the internal space.

>Sure, it adds 3.5mm
You know that objects have 3 dimensions, correct?

Both what?

3.5 and usb-c

Who even needs new phones?

You could buy something like a GS4 and still be more than well off

>3,5 jack takes a lot of space inside the device

>Phones will be more durable, more solid, more resistant etc
That's an incorrect and baseless claim.

>Im not talking about making phones thinner retard, im talking about removing the jack.
Again, there's no base for the argument that they'd manufacture "more durable, more solid, more resistant" phones. they could do that now, but they haven't, they have made them thinner instead.

>and like I said, its not about thinness its about the internal space.

Nope. a 3,5mm jack takes up ~375mm^2. The other components needed take up minimal space. For comparison a htc 10 takes up 93,829mm^2.

HTC10 isn't the only phone that has both are you retarded

>That's an incorrect and baseless claim.
Wrong

>Again, there's no base for the argument that they'd manufacture "more durable, more solid, more resistant" phones. they could do that now, but they haven't, they have made them thinner instead.
I dont care if they are thinner or not, less ports means more resistant phone, that is a fact.

>Nope. a 3,5mm jack takes up ~375mm^2. The other components needed take up minimal space. For comparison a htc 10 takes up 93,829mm^2.

>space in area units
well done retard

It is the first one, though.
Apple will do it later this year and everyone will scream : innovahtion!!

Not a solution.

Won't help when you need to charge it.

No it wasn't the first are you retarded? There is a lot of phones with both, nexus 6p etc

And apple doesnt even use USB-C on phones

USB-C and even lightning will have a dedicated analog audio line, all you need is a 2$ USB-C to 3,5mm adapter and its like before.

>just carry around an adapter everywhere, much more convenient that having it inside the phone

>Wrong
Then it should be easy for you to argue.

>I dont care if they are thinner or not
Oh that's interesting since thickness affects durability much more than a port.

>less ports means more resistant phone, that is a fact.
To a negotiable amount. it does nothing to protect the screen, the usual thing that breaks. It doesn't help with bending since the ports are at the ends.

>>space in area units
>well done retard
The numbers are correct, while you have only ad hominem.

Can't charge while using headphones

>USB-C 3.0
kys

Just carry another adapter

>Then it should be easy for you to argue.
Yes, its very easy, less ports = more resistant

>Oh that's interesting since thickness affects durability much more than a port.
Im not talking about thickness, im talking about the ports

>To a negotiable amount. it does nothing to protect the screen, the usual thing that breaks. It doesn't help with bending since the ports are at the ends.
Its doesn't make it bullet proof either but having less ports is still better.

>The numbers are correct, while you have only ad hominem.
>mm2 to mesure volume
>correct

ok buddy

No evidence of being able to charge while using analog out

But still, that's just less practical.

>Im not talking about thickness, im talking about the ports
Too bad the only reason manufacturers are looking to remove the 3.5mm port is because they DO care about thickness, idiot.

>Too bad the only reason manufacturers are looking to remove the 3.5mm port is because they DO care about thickness, idiot.
Nope, its about the internal space.

>Im not talking about thickness
But since you think the minimal durability increase of 1 less port is worth it, you surely must think phones should be thicker to make them more durable? And you still haven't refuted that they will be thinner with no 3,5.

>Its doesn't make it bullet proof either but having less ports is still better.
You're simply trolling or you just lack the ability to compare.
The durability increase is minimal, since it doesn't help with 99% of breakages.

>>The numbers are correct, while you have only ad hominem.
>>mm2 to mesure volume
>>correct
nice strawman.

>Nope, its about the internal space.
Ah, what do you think they'll do with the 0.5% more space?

Never been outside huh?

With phones now being fuck huge phablets I don't see how a ~2cm long adapter inside can be a problem for manufacturers.

I mean Samsung has no problem having the 3.5 jack AND the S pen inside the Note 5/7 without removing some internals or sensors.

Niggers it's all about having better water and dust resistance.

That's why no removable battery, mini sd, minijack, physical keyboard or flip phone factor and co sistant removal of physical buttons.

3.5 can be waterproofed
USB-C is probably more prone to interference from dust.

nope. Dust isnt a problem outside of lint in the connector. there's no problem waterproofing 3,5mm and battery,SD, etc. is inside, so no problem.

Also, few phones today are waterproof and that will stay the same.

In my experience, thinner =/= more fragile if the mass drops as well.

I have one of the thinnest phones on the market right now, BLU Vivo Air LTE. I've dropped the fucker at least 20 times (on asphalt, concrete, stairs, everything) because the glass back is slippery and I'm a careless asshole. Never broken the glass though probably because the cunt weighs less than 100g and doesn't build enough kinetic energy during the fall. Either that or it's just well designed, which I doubt because its a chinese piece of shit.

Durability is more than just "how well does it survive falls" you know.

What does durability mean aside from drop survival in the context of device thinness?

Inb4 every one makes their phone without one because Apple does it

With VGA there was a digital signal from GPU, converted to analog for old CRT monitors, converter back to digital in newer monitors

We got DVI and HDMI to have a digital signal from source to end.

The reverse is happening here...
Analog signal from sound encoder straight to the speakers.
>And they want analog -> digital -> analog

This sounds to me like they want to implement drm right in the headphones...

I refuse to purchase any smartphone without a 3.5 mm headphone jack or at least some kind of secondary port. I listen to music while I charge my phone so not having a headphone jack is impractical as fuck. I like what Samsung has done with the Galaxy s6 and s7 Active phones. Durable design with a huge battery and incredible internals. That's what every phone manufacturer should be trying to copy. The water resistance is also a nice touch.

I dont see them getting rid of the sim card tray

USB C spec supports analog audio.

i feel like the only person in the world who thinks phones and laptops should have quarter inch jacks

and usb should be done over 4pin xlr

>many
3?

>quarter inch jacks on a laptop
You are.

I'm not even the guy you're arguing with, but just so you know, you're fucking retarded.

everyone knows that this is a scam by the jews in the record industry to DRM their content
they are removing the last vestige of analog audio output to force you to buy their shit

if 3.5mm is too big why don't they switch to 2.5mm?

Because that would be more retarded

Then you can buy older models. Any phone from the past year or two should be good enough for the next several years. If the makers see no numbers coming from the new models, they might grow a brain and do some sensible choices.