I love restoring old computers, don't you?

I love restoring old computers, don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Pet-4032-4016-Vintage-Computers-System-1-POWER-ON-TO-PROMPT-1-AS-IS-/231963426378?hash=item360218fe4a:g:77AAAOSw9N1VlG-U
ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model-III-Micro-Computer-Radio-Shack-Powers-ON-to-Cass-/322122971043?hash=item4b000677a3:g:tLcAAOSwQaJXR0N1
ebay.de/itm/ULTRA-RARE-VINTAGE-ATARI-FALCON-030-COMPUTER-VGC-BOXED-/291751138358?hash=item43edb91436:g:XsAAAOSwdGxXIyfy
youtu.be/tujh_7QsR-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

restoring a color imac was enjoyable. apple stuff has a certain charm to it

POO IN LOO

sick meme go back to your containment board btw trump is gonna lose LOL

samefag

samefag

I do.

It feels just great.

Man, I remember using that sucker, nice dude.

This is awesome, bifibro!

Neat / 10

I'm itchy

ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Pet-4032-4016-Vintage-Computers-System-1-POWER-ON-TO-PROMPT-1-AS-IS-/231963426378?hash=item360218fe4a:g:77AAAOSw9N1VlG-U

>32k model
>the startup screen only indicates 16k

I'm willing to gamble that that's not the original motherboard and they just swapped a 4016 board into the case at some point, possibly because the original board fucked itself. Also the CRT appears to have some adjustment problem because it shouldn't have the picture start halfway down the screen.

Restoring them for what?
NOBODY WANTS THAT SHIT EXCEPT NOSTALGIC IDIOTS!

You must be 18 to use this website.

I'm 23 and own many old computers and hardware, most of it made way before I was born.
Also I never owned them in my youth, so how does it make them nostalgic for me?
I find them very interesting and enjoy using them.

You point is invalid. You even fail at simple trolling.

same

That really should be recycled so we can make meaningful devices like iPhones.

They tried marketing the PET as a business computer but it bombed in the US (pretty popular in Yurop though). No CP/M+no RS-232+no Centronics+only 32k of memory makes Johnny a dull boy.

it makes my dick hard, hearing that old windows startup sound after slaving away to restore a nice 90s computer

Kek, nice one. Made me chuckle.

r8

This is a Yuropoor 3016. The US model was referred to as PET 2001-N, but they couldn't use the PET name in Europe because Philips owned that, so they were just called CBM 30xx over there.

To me these always seemed too toy-like to be a credible business computer, like the main use of them is to type in silly BASIC programs from 101 BASIC Computer Games.

neat

I'd love to pick one of these up and put a modern Mini-ITX build on the inside, maybe even gutting the monitor area and putting a nice LCD panel in there.

How many more times you gonna samefag this?

PentiumIII/10

It doesn't seem like a real PET to me without the weird-ass keyboard.

what are you talking about?

Uh, hi, I'm and I just got here. Politely fuck yourself.

Good idea.

There are broken machines with corroded motherboards and broken CRT's, sadly people don't advertise them and you gotta find one in a huge pile of garbage somewhere.

Yeah I can edit screencaps in MS Paint too.

I'm on Linux, bitch, I thought you GNU.

Man, you can't even troll.

You can clearly see those two post's where posted almost at the same time >hurr I'm only pretending to be a retard

This is the same guy who makes fish tanks with toaster Mac cases.

Not at all, I just think it would be awesome to actually use an old Commodore as your day-to-day work machine.

>Man, I remember using that sucker, nice dude.
It's a pretty nice machine. But the lack of a FDD-controller makes me sick. Loading software from tape is a pain in the ass.

>This is awesome, bifibro!
I'm still in love with this machine. And my kids love it too.

After the C128 i switched to Atari (520ST/1040STE/Mega 1) and was happy with this decision. But today i'm thinking about to get something Amiga... When my other computers are up and running...

If you like Bifi too, go to Ansbach Germany. The factory outlet is the best shop i have ever been.

>use an old Commodore as your day to day work machine
>put an ITX motherboard in the case

how about a TRS-80?

For those who remember, i did pick this AST 286 yesterday and I can tell you I am shocked on what I got, got it for around 80$ and was def. worth it gonna post pictures soon

there was a line of buyers for it too so had a lot of interest and thank good the guy was local to me so I was the first one to come look at it and snap it, also got the keyboard with white MX swithces and nice CGA/EGA color monitor

I still cant believe what a beast it is,it weighs almost 60 ponds, Im dead serious

>It's a pretty nice machine.
My family had a Amstrad CPC when I was a kid, I remember loading stuff from the tape, damn, it was a long machine.

>Atari (520ST/1040STE/Mega 1)
I remember a ST from my youth, the default green background of TOS.

>But today i'm thinking about to get something Amiga
I just recently got it, I'm still waiting for all the stuff I ordered for it to start modding it, never really messed around with a real Amiga before, had a half broken 500 when I was younger and I remember them because my older brother had a few and let me play games on it.
I always stayed up to date with Amiga stuff, now I'm gonna beef it up and make it a nice machine, gonna be a faster bastard then my brothers beefed up Amiga 1200.

>If you like Bifi too, go to Ansbach Germany.
Man, I will go to Leipzig some time soon, but that's a distance from Leipzig, would have to make it worth it and get a truck full of Bifi.

I'm happy for you! I remember your original thread.
Please keep us up to date!

Man, I would love a CGA/EGA monitor for my 8088! Suckers are so hard to find.

It's actually incredibly easy to use a VGA monitor with a CGA output since you just need a line doubler, but that doesn't deal with the intensity pin so you'll only be left with 8 colors. However it shouldn't be too hard to build a circuit for the intensity pin.

I know, it's a scandoubler. They are like 15€ on eBay.
But I'll stick to the MDA display until I find a real CGA/EGA one.

feelsgoodman

>I remember a ST from my youth, the default green background of TOS.
That green is the one thing i don't miss... i prefered to use a monochrome monitor.

>I just recently got it, I'm still waiting for all the stuff I ordered for it to start modding it, never really messed around with a real Amiga before, had a half broken 500 when I was younger and I remember them because my older brother had a few and let me play games on it.
>I always stayed up to date with Amiga stuff, now I'm gonna beef it up and make it a nice machine, gonna be a faster bastard then my brothers beefed up Amiga 1200.
sounds like fun. but i have to many other machines around that need some work and to less time... but maybe...

>Man, I will go to Leipzig some time soon, but that's a distance from Leipzig, would have to make it worth it and get a truck full of Bifi.
do it. last time i've been there i got some Bifi hot. If you buy one at a gas station (the only place you can get them regulary), it's about 1,50€. In the factory outlet i paid 7,80€ for a box of 40.

No. I like throwing away garbage.

Man that's a lovely family up vintage computing power!

How is it garbage?
It would be garbage if it's obsolete, but by definition it can't be obsolete if someone has a use for it, be it even entertainment.

I fail to see your point...

so you are wasting your life?

thanks m8, maybe i'm a bit to nostalgic...

Wasting my life by not wasting hours on garbage? and filling up my home with garbage?
sure

You are shutposting on Sup Forums right now.
At least the retro fags are enjoying themselves.

I fucking fail NOT to see the irony in here.

I'm enjoying myself, but i don't have my home filled with garbage tech.

tell us your prefered hobby

Irrelevant.

So you got told and now find another reason, aka it's taking up space.

From the pictures I see here, people have them nicely sorted and cleaned.

As for myself, I have a huge house and have no problem having one room aside for my hobbies.

>now find another reason, aka it's taking up space.
No, that was my original point. I like throwing away garbage.

>garbage
>people are literally paying shitloads for that stuff on ebay
wat

See

faggotry

Seems about right!

>defending Ebay scalpers

ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model-III-Micro-Computer-Radio-Shack-Powers-ON-to-Cass-/322122971043?hash=item4b000677a3:g:tLcAAOSwQaJXR0N1

No. You go to hell and you die.

>defending Ebay scalpers

Nah, I don't like those fags who don't know shit about what they sell and make the base price delusionally big.

I buy things only from local ad's when I find them, never paying over a couple dozen bucks.
But I don't like to box them away and just have them as a collectors item. If I don't use it, I might as well sell it.
I always start the auction with base price of one dollar, it's not my fault they bid so much that the end price is as much as ten time the price I payed for the item.

>$1000

Exactly

after my old one died, i got this
back in 2001 for 27DM (about 14€) on ebay. C128D, monitor, mouse, two joysticks, printer and a truckload of software.
ebay had good times but now they are gone and i have to agree.
ebay.de/itm/ULTRA-RARE-VINTAGE-ATARI-FALCON-030-COMPUTER-VGC-BOXED-/291751138358?hash=item43edb91436:g:XsAAAOSwdGxXIyfy

Doesn't that indicate there's bad RAM if it's a 32k model and doesn't show 32k?

No. For one thing, it shows 15359 bytes free which is exactly what a 16k PET should show. Commodore 64s do a RAM test on startup and if there's a bad chip they'll show less than 38911 bytes or else ?OUT OF MEMORY IN 0. The PET doesn't do a RAM test though (beyond I think a brief scan to see how much RAM is present). If a RAM chip is bad, you'd get a screenful of garbage.

How do you know so much about PET's?
Are you a veterinarian?

Dude, pay more careful attention. There's _two_ PETs in the auction there. One is a 4016 which is the one shown powered on. The other is a 4032 and they don't show that powered on so apparently it's not functional.

fucking hipsters....

Soo, you just keep them on that rack and power them up from time to time to show off?

Wait, who are you calling a hipster?

yes

>As for myself, I have a huge house and have no problem having one room aside for my hobbies.
This. Why should I leave rooms empty, if i can have fun there, enjoying my hobby...

Yeah, don't know what people have against old hardware, it's the most innocent hobby ever.

>innocent
the good old times... youtu.be/tujh_7QsR-A

KEK, you should see the Atari 2600 ones

I spent my weekend restoring a couple 90's era computers.

No nostalgia involved, my customers factory runs on them and the place is using Novell Netware for the internal network...

They are considering an upgrade but the software the machines run from was designed for dos and will not work on anything later than maybe windows 9x.

Guess who had a lot of "fun" trying to change the nic driver for a novell install on Dos6.2...

Doing something for pure nostalgia would make a pleasant break from my dayjob really.

hahaha, i only remember custers revenge - great gameplay.

come on, it's not that hard. NE2000 is a nice thing, also is Novell Netware. I had a lot of fun in this job at these times.
What's your customers business?

I did a 8088 with a Etherlink III RJ45 NIC a while ago, got MS Network client to work, could transfer stuff over the net from my other PC and also mount shares as drives, very handy and useful, especially for games and demos, when all you have is an 8bit HDD interface with a 20MB drive.

Cartographics, and printing foils. The pcs running things were literally falling apart - AT systems where the power supplies had been replaced, leaving the switch dangling out the side of the case, the original switch left in place with a stump of wire trailing out, caps bulging, hard drives having click-fits, you name it, it was going wrong through age. Replaced and upgraded but had to get the dos install to see the new nics, and bearing in mind my first encounter with dos was with windows 98 - I'm only 32, Dos is nearly a lost art to me.
I learned a lot this weekend though. It all works and they have 2 working printers now when they only had one very unstable one last week.
I could see a lot of nice features that Dos had that seem to be gone now from modern OSs - apart maybe from linux but dir vs ls is just the top of THAT can of worms...

Lol no you are the exact same as a nostalgiafag buying them, you are no different just because you have your snowflake thoughts post purchase. RARE VINTAGE OEM.

I don't do it myself but I appreciate you doing it.

I only buy hardware I'm interested in, there's two local ad's right now for a 286 and a 8088, both for under 20€ and one is a full set.

But I don't buy them, because I'm not interested, also I own already one of them, without any nostalgia related (never owned one as a child or used one as a child).

I only sell hardware when I lose interest, I don't want them to gather dust in a corner in my room, then I use the money I get to invest in hardware I'm interested in the moment in the moment or long run.

not the tranny you were replying to, but there is a phenomenon of group/socio-historical nostalgia, i.e. hipsters.

I'm 39 and had to learn it in school... DOS is nice. pretty easy to use and near to the hardware.
>I learned a lot this weekend though.
I'm glad you see it from this angle. You can learn so much from older systems - if you just want.

Dunno about hipsters, but I'm qutie antisocial and have been interested in technology way back as a child, before I knew anything about the world or even knew English, I loved to tear apart electronics and put them back together. I have always enjoyed learning about hardware and software, how they work and their history.

>You can learn so much from older systems
Yes, that's so true, I learned assembly thanks to DOS and the need to tweak newer drivers for older systems.

>dir vs ls
[spoiler]next time at a DOS prompt try dir/w[/spoiler]

A:\dir c:\novell\client32\*.cfg /w

Usually followed by

A:\edit c:\novell\client32\startnet.bat

And yes i was working from the floppy drive because there was something wrong with the command.com on the host machine where it would crash after loading autoexec.bat every damn time. Tracked THAT gem to the mouse.com entry in autoexec (it was eating up too much memory on the new machine despite having the same amount of physical ram), once i rem'd that it booted to C okay and i was able to cd into the necessary directories but augh that first few hours...

Hey guys how much is a toshiba t1200 worth these days?
I can get one pretty easy but sire if the price is good

I would say about around 40€. There is one on eBay at this moment for 50€ instand buy.

Thats what people ask wich amny times isnt what its worth. You cant base worth on what people try to sell it for

Worth is a subjective decision. But it's price should be around 40€.

>dat map
wew

I just lost my Amiga 1200 & 500 Plus

>gonna be a faster bastard then my brothers beefed up Amiga 1200.

You should've just sprang for the Amiga 1200.

I also have this puppy installed, though I've not bought any extras for it

Yes, I have a problems

what problems ?