AMD RX 480 launch summary

The sources:
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/
anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-17.html
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise
hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review

The performance summary:
1- Tom's put this card as below the GTX 970 and R9 390, but not by much.
2- TechPowerUp and Anadtech and PC Perspective and Hexus and HardwareCanucks and KitGuru put the card at slightly above the GTX 970.
3- LegitReviews and GamerNexus and HardOCP puts the card on par with the GTX 970.

The details:
1- All reviews mention that the cards does considerably better on DX12, where it can beat the GTX 980, never mind the 970.
2- The reviews unanimously praise the card's power consumption
3- Most lament the temps of the reference cooler.
4- Most of the reviews note that the reference cooler does well on the noise, which is something to note, considering the horrible reference coolers of AMD's 290/290X cards.
5- Overclocking results are mixed, with some reviewers getting up to 10% OC, and some getting barely 2%.

Overall:
I would say this was a good launch for AMD. The card is (on average) is very slightly above the GTX 970/R9 390, and cheaper. Once non-reference versions are out, with better temps, this should be a great purchase.

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index15.html
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/13/#diagramm-ashes-of-the-singularity-2560-1440_2
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/13/#diagramm-call-of-duty-black-ops-iii-2560-1440_2
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YrKM-M7pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ksN3VMkutQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YTku-GqDSWg
youtube.com/watch?v=ozATbV11rBA
anandtech.com/bench/product/1746?vs=1748
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202185&cm_re=r9_390x-_-14-202-185-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
€ 269,00

VS

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
€ 284,89

Which one wins, Sup Forums?

sticky plz

New 1080p card?

>Overall
>Shilling before the thread even starts

>is very slightly above the GTX 970/R9 390, and cheaper

false

GTX970 is 2+ years old and you can buy it used cheaper than RX480 by a wide margin and you didnt have to wait half a year for a shitty blower GPU.

what a ride

neither, gotta wait for aftermarket cooled 480s
yes

>microcenter still has RX 480 8GB in stock in my area for $239
Looks like I'm finally doing my new build today
>tfw been stuck with a GT 610 for years

if you go amd always sapphire or gigabyte maaayyyybbeeeee xfx...

>has nearly equal power consumption to gtx1080/70 while being a good deal slower
1060 is gonna obliterate it

I have an itx meme case

The sg13

People recommend blower coolers for it

Should I get the xfx 480 and call it a day?

Or should I wait?

>$199 card vs $699 card
just end yourself

20 cheaper and better performance, obviously the 480.

Look, it's clear by the benchmakrs the 480 is the best card that isn't the 1070 and 1080. If you want top of the line you grab one of those. If you can't afford it you grab the 480. If you want price per performance it's a toss-up between the 480 and 1070 and how much you want to spend initially. The 1070 costs a little more $ per frame but it will last longer before the next upgrade.

It's not rocket science. Every benchmark puts it at very worst the same performance as a 970 (with twice as much ram) for cheaper. In best case scenarios it's better than a 980. If you are anything above 1080p the 480 is a clear winner as it beats the 970 in every single game.

>used card is cheaper than new card
Yes, that is true.

How much can I sell my 660 for?

Can I get $300 CAD for it?

>2- The reviews unanimously praise the card's power consumption

TPU:
>Gaming power draw is definitely improved over the last generation, even though the RX 480 uses GDDR5 memory which is not nearly as power efficient as HBM. Polaris can't beat NVIDIA's current Pascal lineup in efficiency. We see numbers similar to NVIDIA's last generation (GTX 970, GTX 980), performance is similar too, so is performance per Watt.

>The picture is completely different in non-gaming states though, here it looks like AMD still haven't learned their lesson. Single monitor idle power draw with 15 W is just ok I guess, but multi-monitor and Blu-ray using more than 5x as much power as their NVIDIA counterparts is simply unacceptable, especially since this has not been addressed for several years.

Toms:
> Once again, we’re using a bar graph for our power consumption results to make it clear why we arrived at our (unfavorable) conclusions. It truly takes an observant eye to see why we bemoaned the lack of an eight-pin power connector and the power circuit's design.

>AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

>Believe it or not, the situation gets even worse. AMD's Radeon RX 480 draws 90W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot during our stress test. This is a full 20 percent above the limit.

>To be clear, your motherboard isn't going to catch fire. But standards exist for a reason. All of the components around the PCIe slot and along the path from the slot to the 24-pin ATX connector will suffer from the peaks. And depending on your platform's design, audio problems may also materialize.

Yeah, start with the shilling right away.

>Not understanding how bad the 480s power/performance is

Jesus AMD shills are just fucking retarded

Will Radeon Wattman work only with 4xx cards or all other GCN cards too?

will performance for 4gb be the same as 8gb in 1080p?

First online store with stock on my country, lowest is 295€ highest is pic related. Not looking too good specially since 970 go for around 307€ and 980 for 400€

>he fell for AMD meme AGAIN

Yeah with how bad its power consumption is, I don't see them releasing a legit contender to the higher end market without huge power draw

Custom 4GB version from Sapphire/Gigabyte when?
I don't need 8GB for 1080p.

Nvidia wins without even trying lol

>have 7870
>rx480 still in stock at a store near me
do i do it

Buy two gpus they said. It'll be faster than a 1080 they said.

Oh my.

The review that got the 4GB bios says that performance is nearly the same:
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index15.html

>4- Most of the reviews note that the reference cooler does well on the noise

>Quoting from the AMD reviewer's guide "A lot of work has gone into reducing noise levels for the Radeon™ RX 480." Sorry, but no, gaming noise levels are bad. The reference card is noisier than every single card released in recent times, and it runs at well above 80°C too. We confirmed the temperature and noise levels with other reviewers, so it's not only our sample.

>Finally, with load noise levels, RX 480 produces middling (but acceptable) results. Given that we have a mix of blowers and open air coolers here, the RX 480 performs similarly to other mainstream blower based cards. The $199 price tag means that AMD can’t implement any exotic cooling or noise reduction technologies, though strictly speaking it doesn’t need them.

>I expected AMD's new mid-range Radeon RX 480 to be completely silent under load, but I was disappointed with the reference design from the company. While it rocks a slick reference design, the cooler has a weird sound/whine when it's spooled up to keep the card cool. I tried adjusting the fan speeds and getting a custom RPM set, but as soon as it spins up, the card begins making noise that can be annoying.

Always nice to have "unbiased" conclusions.

DELETE THIS

no, wait two more weeks for after market cooled ones.
>game has no SLI/CF support
>faster than 970
here's your (you)

Just fuck me up senpai.

in ashes you moron computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/13/#diagramm-ashes-of-the-singularity-2560-1440_2
but thats ok no one expect nvidiot shills to be fair

I have a 7870 and I'm waiting for aftermarket cards.

>Buying a used launch GTX 970 that is probably dusty as shit with traces of nerd sweat and semen

N-no thanks

BestBuy was selling the $269 XFX BackPlate 8GB version for $199 but it Sold Out. Holy Shit!

Newegg has the 4GB model for $199

Why are there so many europoors complaining about how expensive the 480 is compared to the 970? Just buy the fucking 970 then. In some parts of the world the 480 is cheaper and people will buy that instead.

That graph is still wrong though in terms of power/performance

AMD Shill missing the point yet again.

>implying you don't want crusty old nerd semen inside your box you dirty slut

nice

but two cards they said
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/13/#diagramm-call-of-duty-black-ops-iii-2560-1440_2
it actually beats 1080 they said
turns out they did say it

>Why are there so many europoors complaining
That's all they've done since WW2.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YrKM-M7pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ksN3VMkutQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YTku-GqDSWg
youtube.com/watch?v=ozATbV11rBA
The four Digital Foundry videos.

Full disclosure: I will replace my 560ti for a RX480 aftermarket.

Should I go for it?
The 4GB models to exist already, right? What's the worst that could happen when buying from "powercolor"?

AMD have not disappointed you. You have disappointed yourself.

When the RX 480 was first announced, everyone was excited for entry level VR requirements at an amazing price. Everyone was hyped for the right reasons.

But then the escalation began. More people began saying that the RX 480 would rival higher level cards, such as the GTX 980 and even towards the end saying it would beat the R9 Fury. This was ridiculous, completely wrong and based on pure fantasy.

So before you write a salty comment about how the RX 480 is a disappointment and AMD aren't living up to their promises; stop. AMD have released exactly what they said they would, they aren't at fault for your over inflation of the truth.

you also get a GPU that's
>slightly worse at DX11 and OGL
>much worse at DX12 and probably Vulkan
>throttled at more than 3.5gb
>out of warranty
>already past most of its lifespan

but I guess fanboys will settle for any kind of shit just as long as it doesn't burst their bubble

just wait for aftermarket cards

Point. I will edit that in. Thanks!

LOL caring about perf/power on a cf setup

this will be the next excuse of nvidiots i guess

Lies, it's out of stock.

Nothing, the reference cards are all the same.

They're all reference cards. Doesn't matter which one you buy. Go ahead.

>wait
it never ends
alright i guess

powercolor is fine, my 280x is a powercolor card and it runs perfectly

if i upgrade from my 760 to the RX 480, will this be a big jump?

Are you retarded?

a SINGLE 480 is pulling nearly the same power as a 1080

RX 480 = 163 W
GTX 1070 = 145W
GTX 1080 = 166W

Amd lying to your face and youre just eating it up.

Homie I hope your underage, because no one should be as gullible as you

Maybe a dumb question: The reviews talk about the card getting to very high temperatures, but could the temperatures be brought down by a very aggressive fan curve if I don't care about noise?

you waited this long user, just 2 more weeks.
yes, i'm gonna do the same jump. Goodbye my old 760

WHICH GTX 1070 SHOULD I BUY

THE ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX IS OUT OF STOCK UNTIL NEXT FRIDAY

I DONT WANT TO WAIT THIS LONG

Or get a non-reference card with a better cooler. You get better temps and better noise.

>AMD have not disappointed you. You have disappointed yourself.
/Thread

This is a $200 card. No one is going to give you more than that.

getting furmark power draw as in gaming draw
being THIS idiot

Wait for the 1060

For the price increase would after market still be worth it? Isn't the whole draw the price point?

Can't wait senpai can't wait, must buy now

No.

>anandtech.com/bench/product/1746?vs=1748

Their selling 390x for $310 with warhammer totalwar,meaning the card is actually $250 from the game inflating the price

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202185&cm_re=r9_390x-_-14-202-185-_-Product

Why does the rx 480 card exist again?

Bruh PowerColor is actually good.

nigga you've gotta be underage for real.

Alright, thanks. Never heard of them and it sounded like they were a chinkshit company.

>mfw i'm an amdfag waiting for the 1060

im pretty good at waiting

>tfw you are in the market for a new $200-300 GPU but all of them are more than good enough for your needs and all you really care about is fan noise
benchmarks for this feel?

Upgrade from gtx770 2GB to RX480 8GB worth it?

>$199 v.s. $250
>performs the same
>less power draw
What's the problem again?

Because its $199 and it has almost the same performance?

TU ES NICHT

Why the fuck is the 380x beating 480 here?

yes

Why not

By that time 480 with third party cooler will be available. Then nvidia will release the 1060 and everyone will be telling you to wait for third party coolers.

when will the aftermarket ones roll out?

AMD implied that 480 CF had better efficiency than a single 1080 in AotS. As is turns out, a SINGLE 480 consumes as much power as a 1080.

Should I have expected the card to draw 160W, 10W more than what pci-e+6 pin is designed for?
Should I have expected AMD to keep ignoring the problem they've had with low load power consumption for several years, even though it was partially fixed with Fury (which probably was an unintended consequence of something else after all)?

lol please show me a stress test and then a gaming test

now when you see a difference of 2-3 watts on it you know that its a bust simple as that
no card can be draw so much power and yet have a 9% oc room and have LOWER wattage draw
its simple very simple

>not the Cage version
You're clearly a shitter and nothing else.

No rebrands, still a fuckton of disappointment. Nothing new here, folks, just buy a used 970.

Weil die 480 gagge ist?

Thanks, just needed that little push. Gonna get it as soon as I can.

I'm still on a 6970

yeah but what's the cage version ?

Yeah, buy a used 2 year old card instead of a brand new card that is yet to receive proper driver optimization. Good fucking thinking.

Kauf die 1070 oder 1060. Und rede deutsch mit mir!

it's not $200 though

It certainly is strange. It could be down to drivers or not.

How do aftermarket prices typically compare to reference? This is the first time I've ever watched a launch so I'm pretty ignorant about this shit. Fan noise and overclockability aren't really a factor for me at this point, but time (even 2-3 weeks) is.

the 480 is okay for the price in my opinion. it's r9 290 in dx11 and 980 in dx12 and will get to fury x levels with driver optimisation and games which make use of polaris architecture

>tfw have to buy a 1070 for smooth 1080p
What the fuck AMD?