Muh cores

>12 cores with hyperthreading (24 threads)
>encoding 1080p video, browsing youtube, watching a 4k video, opening and closing various programs, and shitposting at the same time
>everything still feels as responsive as if I wasn't doing anything at all

compare to

>quad core system with no hyperthreading
>trying to use an open browser and a couple of programs at once
>noticeable sluggishness

Fuck that shit. Anybody who tells you 4 cores are enough in 2016 is a cuck fool. I could probably play a game at the same time as all this other shit and it wouldn't be effected either. Moar cores may not affect performance in individual programs by themselves, but if you want to have a computer that never seems to slow down or strain you need at least 8 cores.

Get your phoney ass out of here, retard.

I don't even know what you're trying to argue.

x2

And you could build an even better system now. I got this last year before the big dump of e5-2670s started.

bet you don't even know what hyperthreading is

>noticable sluggishness
Alright so I have a quad core
CPU is currently on 40% usage, 55 tabs open in chrome (though most of those are out of use since I have The Great Suspender), Unity open, a few documents open, steam open

No sluggishness

>be me
>Guy i replaced at work built $3000 workstation with xeon 12 core processor.
>slow as hell
>New hire gets $500 best buy with 4 core
>supa fast
>FML
>ctrl alt del
>entire system on core 0 because shit managent
> 8 hours setting processor core affinity

I got wikipedia, nigga

What sort of work are you doing? How was the performance after you got done?

lol ain't that the truth. We were running some simulations that were taking days to complete. I looked at system load and found only 1 core in use. Fixed coworkers code and put all 64 threads to max load and finished the simulation in couple of hours.

nice man

you are best at computers

oh please now

I usually don't have multiple programs open. Seems completely unnecessary.

iphone user?

I have no problem running ~100 tabs in a browser, steam, spotify, excel, and a game at the same time on my non-hyperthreaded Nehalem Xeon (E5507)

Maybe you should learn to focus on one or two important tasks at a time instead of cluttering your mind with a bunch of useless distractions like a gradeschooler with severe unmedicated ADHD?

You're right about one thing, quad cores without hyperthreading are trash.

40% usage doing what?

Any non-low end CPU w/o HT is trash.

>AMD
>per core performance

No thanks, fx chips are worse than the phenom mk2s and in the current market i'd take i5

yeeeee

That thing is straight up booty buttcheeks. My i3-3220 shits all over that, and I got it in a complete used PC for $100.

> using windows on server grade hardware

For the value of those you could go with the e5-26xx series for even better performance. X5690 is deprecated (unless you can overclock them).

Did you get a good deal on them?

>Xeons are only for servers

Please stop perpetuating this myth. Do you see the X in the beginning of the CPU model number? That X indicates workstation usage. E and L are the server variations (of course any can be used in any application).

Because fuck you, that's why.

I don't own a single Apple product. I'm just not a cluttering retard who has to have everything open all the time because he/she is so unorganized.

>"High end gaming computer"
>6700K or maybe even 4690K paired with 1 or more $700 GPUs
>Not 5960X or at least 5930K

I need as many cores as possible to run genetic programming software I write.

Xeon + P50 mastered race

Yeah, and? That was the point, and it still handles pretty much everything I need it to do.

We do 3D modeling, where they system would really hangup was the stress and flow analysis. After setting the cores up its much much faster, jokes still on the guy who built it because the software only supports 4 cores. $500 best buy wins again with a higher clock

I paid $1k for the whole system a year ago. I wouldn't settle for anything less than dual 2687W's or 2690s if I upgraded to the sandy bridge 8 cores.

I have an i5 6600k, I have none of these issues.

4 Core is enough for gaming and 99% of mainstream workloads out there.

If you are doing real work with your computer than 4-core chips aren't going to cut

That's why Intel has made their 6-core chips and beyond towards prosumers not mainstream market.

Socket 2011 i7 Chips are really just "Xeon rejects" that are fully unlocked.