AMD RX 480 launch summary, thread #4

Performance summary:
1- Tom's put this card as below the GTX 970 and R9 390, but not by much.
2- TechPowerUp, Anandtech, PC Perspective, Hexus, HardwareCanucks, and KitGuru put the card at slightly above the GTX 970 and R9 390.
3- LegitReviews, GamerNexus and HardOCP puts the card on par with the GTX 970 and R9 390.

Details:
1- All reviews mention that the cards does considerably better on DX12, where it can beat the GTX 980
2- The reviews praise the card's overall power consumption, but some note that it exceeds the standard power limits (86W from PCIe, instead of 75W)
3- Most lament the temps of the reference cooler.
4- Most of the reviews note that the reference cooler does well on the noise. As good as nVidia's reference cards? No, but this is something to note, considering the horrible reference jet engines of AMD's 290/290X cards.
5- Overclocking results are mixed, some reviewers getting up to 10% OC, and some barely 2%.

Overall:
A good launch for AMD. The card is slightly above the GTX 970/R9 390, and cheaper. Once non-reference versions are out, with better temps, this should be a great purchase. If you already have a GTX 970/R9 390, this card will do nothing for you.
(1/2)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/
anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-17.html
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise
hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/
hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility#.V3P9yZMrLX8
oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/teaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/
itpromo.pl/p/1580/133477/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gddr5-256-bit-hdmi-3xdp-lite-karty-graficzne-ati-karty-graficzne-podzespoly-komputerowe.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The sources:
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/
anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-17.html
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise
hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/

FAQ:
>When will we get non-reference cards?
Typically, within a couple of months of launch.

>Buy this, or buy a GTX 970/R9 390?
The RX 480 is slightly better, for slightly cheaper, so go for it instead. If you absolutely need a card RIGHT NOW and cannot wait for it to be in stock, then you do not lose much by getting a GTX 970/R9 390.

>I was expecting it to beat GTX Titan X SLI! This SUCKS!
This is a $200 card. It beats older $200 cards, and is on par with older $330 cards.

>[company x] BTFO! Fanboys on suicide watch! lel, kek, and kys!
We can do that, but it is a waste of your time and energy. We can talk about the new card instead.

(2/2)

Lifelong AMD fan here... put me on SUICIDE WATCH because I got BTFO

NEW DRIVER IS NOW OUT

HOW DID IT DO?

Reminder that Kyle was right about everything.

Link?

>updating drivers on day of release
don't be stupid

fuck i really didnt wanna give those nvidia jews money

will still wait to see how the custom coolers do but im not expecting much

1070 here i come

NVIDIA is literally finished.

Praise AMD!

At least you could actually try when you false flag n/v/idiot...

SOLD OUT!!!

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility#.V3P9yZMrLX8

@55321193

kys razor1

Will the new overclock tool work with other AMD cards?

oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/teaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/

mad Thai cunts reached 1.42ghz with a nigger rigged cooler

>vr ready
>worse than the gtx 970
L M A O
M
A
O

>The RX 480 isn't too impressive when looking at power consumption either, running ~50 or so watts less than the R9 390, which is a power hungry graphics card to begin with. >The RX 480 consumed the same amount of power as the GTX 1070, while providing considerably less performance. The card doesn't run cool either, hitting over 80 degrees in a short period, though granted the reference cooler is small and likely to be improved upon by board partners. >Overclocking headroom is Fury X-like, though I'm not willing to call the RX 480 out on this just yet until we see results from more cards and some with upgraded cooling.

Tfw it's actually really shit. How anyone can defend this is beyond me. Not even the pricing saves it.

>GTX 1070
>$380
>Nvidia shows everyone how capable the new architecture is, Titan X/980 Ti-esque performance for such a low price and can back it up with benchmarks

>RX 480 8 GB
>$240
>promises GTX-980 like performances
>Benchmarks online
>Can barely match a GTX 970 with 3.5 GB VRAM and runs the same as the R9 290X, a graphics card from 2013
>AMD fans will defend the low price point despite second hand 390/970's being cheaper

>worse than 970
nice meme

Again
The RX 480 draws more power than the GTX 1070 and performs considerably worse.
Power consumption is just 22w less than the Radeon Fury Nano, and performance is considerably behind that Nano as well.

Unless drivers bring a 20% performance uplift Polaris 10 is a big flop. If you look at the performance directly compared to the Hawaii/Grenada die then we see performance per CU has actually decreased. If the RX 480 were clocked at 1050mhz it would be woefully behind the R9 390 in everything. Outside of DX12 there appears to be no IPC uplift visible from the new arch.

The performance and power consumption of this card is so troublesome that it appears outright broken.

piss off shills

this is a civil thread

no shilling allowed

Stylish.

>Overclocking results are mixed, some reviewers getting up to 10% OC, and some barely 2%.
>b-but muh 1600 mhz
true overclockers' dream

Honestly I'm tired of responding to these shills with the same response over and over again. Believe what you want.

Gotta get that bitcoin market bruh. Nvidia gets lower temps and power consumption by completely nuking single and double precision performance.

This might also be why AMD is good in DX12, all the compute shit.

Gentlemen, please. There really is no point in bashing AMD/nVidia.

nVidia just released cards in the $400-$600 range.

AMD released a new card in the $200-$240 range.

There is no point in getting upset, when the new cards do not compete with each other.

Not shilling, I own a R9 290 and AMD fucked themselves over this. Just posting facts

Hitman is optimized for AMD cards and that is the only game where the RX 480 wins

>390x faster than a 980 ti

Nice unbiased benchmark.

>>GTX 1070
>>$380
Any minute now...

If it only wins in one game how does it come out ahead when averaged over 20 games?

I quoted a review conclusion. How is that shilling

I'm going to pull the trigger.

Nope.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
btfo

I wonder why he couldn't get further. power limit?

>500 USD
Your prices are strange to the people of my valley. Is this a good deal in your land?

Looks like indospeak to me

t. thaifag

buy the rest and run on integrated graphics, don't get the blower card
wait for non reference

I did too

You do realise there is a gtx 970 on there for €235 euro that btfo's this new card when overclocked

t. I got my family member to order that 970 yesterday

Was really hoping it would have been closer to the 980 in performance, pretty gay.

Why would he get an inferior card?

So the 8gb 480 ($230) costs 54% as much as the 1070 (I used $420 for this calculation), and the 1070 performs 50% better than the 1070. Correct me if I'm doing my math wrong, but doesn't that mean the 1070 and the 480 have the same price/performance ratio?

>0.3!!!!

>I'm stupid and had unrealistic expectations for a product.
>I blame the manufacturer.

What are the rules when it comes to ordering these adapter cables? My monitor has DVI-D in.

The non-reference 480's will have better cooling and be factory OC'd at higher clock speeds. Those will most likely perform a lot better and by that time drivers will be better as well.

Apparently those paint chips did lasting damage, friend.

>4- Most of the reviews note that the reference cooler does well on the noise. As good as nVidia's reference cards? No, but this is something to note, considering the horrible reference jet engines of AMD's 290/290X cards.

This is retarded, the rx 480 goes up to 5++k rpm in 100%, the 1070 founder's edition barely reaches 4k.

Of course the noise will be higher

HOLY SHIT NVIDIOTS BTFO

It should have been. But then

>32 ROPs

No one could have predicted that. Then again, they only gave the Fury X 64 ROPs. And that is why the Fury X failed. Luckily, this card is still fine with 32 ROPs, just not as good as it could have been. I guess it's the only way they could get that $200 price point.

No idea
I checked the pins of my monitor and it had the pattern in DVI-D.
So I entered "DVI-D HDMI" into the search and looked for a cable that looked like it had the same connection and wasn't too expensive, because price makes no difference in quality.

Inferior cards are nearly 10% faster?

Hmmm

Don't even bother, AMD drivers will drag it down anyway.

>AMD doesn't have driver problems you shill
>uhh, the 480 will perform better once

It doesn't show which prices they used for the 1070.

Oh shit, its already in Indonesia?
Anyone knows the estimate time when AMD will released the 460 or 470?

Gonna need at least 40 of them before 2017.

Why would anyone buy a reference card?

wait for drivers and beastmode you fucking nvidiot shill

>>uhh, the 480 will perform better once
the drivers are better*

That statistic doesn't prove much. it doesn't show real-time performance at all.
From ANandtech:
RX 480 only wins in Hitman, the Division and ashes of Sing. In the other games Nvidia wins despite having 3.5 GB of VRAM

Nvidia releases driver optimizations over time with new cards as well. Stupid shill.

>63C max

>costs 54% as much
>1070 performs 50% better
You're mixing up two different percentages here.If we use $420 and $230, then 1070 costs costs 82% more than 480 while performing 50% better. Or, 480 costs 54% as much while having 67% the performance.

To use it.

Thank you. I knew I was forgetting something.

Yes, Polaris means AMD's 14nm silicon can't compete with nVidia's 16nm.

That said, don't forget to note the RX480 is a buy @ $240.

RX 480 has price:performance at 1080p, GTX 1070 at 1440p.

You can look at every benchmark they ran.

Use that URL bar of yours.

holy fuck!!!

>not realizing Polaris was the dump for their misfabs that didn't make the cut for Vega

>40 of them before 2017

What kind of fuckery are you up to Indonesia

Jesus nvidia is finished

36CU at 1266mhz
44CU at 1000mhz

If it weren't for TF2 skewing the results the overall average would be lower than the R9 290X.

AMD's 4th gen GCN is barely competing with 2nd gen GCN. All the IPC uplifts touted have amounted to nothing.

That's one way to speculate. My way would be to think Vega is Polaris with HBM2 and a watercooler slapped on.

>because that worked great for Fury @28nm

LAN center.

Fuck off nerd, the 1070 performs better than anything AMDshit has to offer.

Deal with it.

sold my 290x for a 480, this is shill bullshit, I'm maxing every game I throw at it

Fuck me and I was about to get a reference one today. Screw it, I will wait for the AIBs. My 7870 XT has lasted me 4 years, I can wait a couple of weeks.

can you prove it?

I just really want Vega to be good, ok? Nvidia is going insane with power now. This Funder's Edition paper launch limited supply buy buy buy shit is really not ok.

Performance is great at $200. What I don't like is the power consumption, It's barely even better than the 970 which is on a 28nm node. The FinFET they're using must be garbage. That being said, it's still a great buy, it's just a little worrisome for future cards like the 1060 and the RX460.

No this isn't the case at all. Apple did in fact purchase Polaris 11 and 10 GPUs for upcoming products.
Apple is probably keeping the GPUs clocked low, which seems to be the only way these cards would shine in perf/watt.

It still could be another R9 285 again as well where Apple acquired all functional high binned dies, and the consumer market only got the lower binned left overs.

Stop being a retard, we're talking about the ratios of price/performance here, not total performance.

Ask your mom nvidiot cunt

>power consumption
your mother will pay for it nerd XD

>only 1 gpu was able to reach 1.4 ghz
>all the rest could only get between 1.3/1.5 ghz

Ok at least we got that one settled. The common case of the lucky binned chip. 99% of everyone else won't even get close to 1.4ghz even with a better cooler. It seems the shit overclocking rumors are true for the most part.

should i upgrade from a 760 or is it not worth it?

>1070
>$380
Where? Also where is it in stock for that price?
At least the RX 480 is hitting the advertised MSRPs and is available on release day for more than 16 cards per store

that means you'll have to pay 1 dollar more a year oh no

Hey man, I'm right there with you. I'm wanting Zen to work out but if this is what the GPU division can do on 14nm, I'm losing hope fast for Zen.

relax i'm not an nvidia fan

just wanted some pics

Well, Sup Forumsacks can get 480 for 1170 PLN (239$ with VAT included) That escalated quickly.
itpromo.pl/p/1580/133477/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gddr5-256-bit-hdmi-3xdp-lite-karty-graficzne-ati-karty-graficzne-podzespoly-komputerowe.html

Obviously it is not in stock now, people have been waiting months for the 480, I'm sure people waiting for the 1070 can wait as long.

>Once non-reference versions are out

How long does that usually take?

Worth if you need a new card. Do you need a new card?

Its still far better option than my old 7790. Most of the time it always reached 110w while gaming.
I'm expecting the new 460 will at least max out under 60-70w

With this I can at least cut my e-bills for 20% each months after replacing all 40 of them.

Actually the card is power throttling when ocing. With more power, they can probably go higher. It just needs more than a 6 pin power connector.

for amd 2 weeks