What's a good mp3 player to get?

What's a good mp3 player to get?

I got a refurbished Clip Plus 3 years ago for $20 and its finally died. I have a 64 GB sd card that needs supporting, otherwise i just need something that works.

most the advertisements mp3 players say they only support sdhc cards (32 GB), not sdxc (64 GB +)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002MAPSC6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Phone

Dedicated music players are pretty rare today. The only things I see on the market anymore are bottom end gym clips and expensive hi-fi options.

Ipod touch or classic.

>Ipod

jaz piper 32mb
it rocked

I'd go with a rockboxed ipod at this point because the prices skyrocketed on the Sansa Clip+ and it's not that reliable to me.

It is going to be really hard to find one not already included with a tablet or smartphone.

The ones that aren't included that are worth a damn are almost as expensive or more than a smartphone.

Think of it like how it became harder after 1998 to find a boom box that solely played cassette tapes. By then most did CDs too. Walkman cassette died with the cassette.

iPod Classic

amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002MAPSC6

get a new blue one for 40 bucks. best deal on them at the current moment. everyone else has em up for close to 100 bucks.

Which one?

Not supporting sdxc is generally just a meme. You just have to format the card to fat32, which windows and osx don't do with the default tools.

Cowon is a good brand in my experience.

5-7th gen

ruizu x02

>7th gen
>Cannot be rockboxed
>Need to use jewtunes
Yeah nice try goldstein.

You're a fucking moron, I had a 7th gen with a stock firmware/rockbox dual boot years ago.

>What's a good mp3 player to get?
Depends on price. A smartphone that is never used for calls can be an option if you aren't hung up on physical buttons. The sound suites and parametric EQ that very few dedicated players have can dramatically improve sound quality, if they are used carefully.

Some people have been buying into the cheap Ruizu or the Fiio player under 30. Haven't used it, and there are reports of bugs and other less than good operation.
Fiio X1 used to be more popular around 100 dollars, what happened to those people?

Around 200, the Cowon Plenue D is compelling. Good sound output (low THD/IMD/output impedance), decent power/voltage (1V stable into 30 ohms), very high battery life. Fiio X5 is another option, more powerful, less battery.

Past the Plenue D, there aren't many interesting players The Astell & Kern players still have lame electrical outputs. Cowon still can't put together a proper parametric EQ, and they don't have the massive battery life on their higher end players to make up for it. Sony ZX2 might be something, I would have to use it more and test it with different loads.

Reliable brands don't exist, but Cowon does have more than a few good products.

I bought a Fuze and rockboxed it. You can use your phone if you have one but dedicated music players are nice.

Problem nowadays is that almost all the players that Rockbox runs on aren't manufactured anymore.

I use a sandisk clip sport. If you can live without rockbox then it gets the job done.

In the late 1990s it became feasible to make portable, solid-state digital audio players. Most support the patented MP3 codec, but not all. Some support the patent-free audio codecs Ogg Vorbis and FLAC, and may not even support MP3-encoded files at all, precisely to avoid these patents. To call such players “MP3 players” is not only confusing, it also privileges the MP3 that we ought to reject. We suggest the terms “digital audio player,” or simply “audio player” if context permits.

i still have one of these from like 8 years ago but the headphone jack is fucked after all this time
i should see about opening it up and resoldering