Django Thread:

Does anyone have any experience with Django? As someone who is about to learn it, any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/faq/general/#django-appears-to-be-a-mvc-framework-but-you-call-the-controller-the-view-and-the-view-the-template-how-come-you-don-t-use-the-standard-names
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(web_framework)
motherboard.vice.com/read/another-day-another-hack-117-million-linkedin-emails-and-password
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's overkill.

If you want simple, use flask.

If you want complex/efficient, use pyramid

Pyramid / Pylons is garbage, so is Flask.

Flask was actually written as a joke.

If you want a real community, real updates, great design patterns, then Django is your best choice for Python web frameworks.

NASA uses Django
Reddit uses Pyramid

But seriously it depends on what you want to do with Django and where your knowledge level is.

If you are just learning Python and need something simple to help you learn it, Flask is pretty good for that.

If you want to write a site or API that is extremely easy to maintain / scale / extend and has a built in client admin panel that grows with your code and has a built in ORM that lets you design and maintain your database in Python code instead of SQL.. Django is the only real option.

If you want the complexity of Django without any of the built in advantages of Django, and clown / mummy T-Shirts then Pyramid/Pylons is for you.

MVC, so last decade

lol..
Django actually claims its self to be a "MTV" framework.

M - Model
T - Template
V - View

I am not shitting you
docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/faq/general/#django-appears-to-be-a-mvc-framework-but-you-call-the-controller-the-view-and-the-view-the-template-how-come-you-don-t-use-the-standard-names

Are they not being hip enough for you?

Can django endure C10k? I mean, django can be designed within async pattern?

Instagram uses Django as well. We use it in my job.

Using Django, it makes sense, in other frameworks MVC is the natural structure, but in Django, with the promotion of 'thin' views, the controller is the underlying framework as your link suggests. Views only help bring a context to a template, there's very little controller magic at work

Just use flask. Django is a clusterfuck.

Yeah, used it professionally and personally for years.

It's great if a little heavy wieght for some tasks.

The documentation is amazing, the ORM is a thing of beauty and the community is huge and incredibly active.

If you've got a problem, whether it's architectural or a bug, there's someone will either have an answer or solution.

Flask is good for lightweight things, but you'll need more plugins to do most of the stuff, check out Bottle as well.

No idea on the others though.

>Flask was actually written as a joke.
Yeah, and that joke turned out to be pretty fucking great, idiot.

python also was literally a joke, monty python.

Can anybody comment on the differences/similarities of Django vs. Rails?

From what I've heard Django is like "Rails for Python", is that true?

Web.py

Django is basically a Python version of Ruby on Rails.

I'd say there are two major differences in the design.

1. No real ruby generate.

There is a Django cli tool for starting / stoping / migrating ect.. however all your models need to be hand-written. This keeps everything explicitly in the model class. I like this, I'm not up to date on Rails, but I do remember model attributes not all being in the model's class, and it sometimes just being in the migration. So, basically, no coding from the command line.

2. Migrations in Django are awesome

Migrations in Django 1.5 and older were hellish and required a external app called South, similar to ruby's ActiveRecord. I remember ActiveRecord being better because it had a lot more flexibility.

I'm not sure how seamless ActiveRecord is with RoR now, but I do remember it seeming like a second component to RoR.

Django has integrated database migrations right into the framework, and it is very seamless. Basically, you don't need the flexibility of active record anymore.

You still need to migrate, you should know what a migration is, but it dumbs it way down so you can focus more on coding and less on database administration and framework tool usage.

Also Django can scale like crazy with no real effort.

I am defiantly more of a Django dev than a RoR dev, so my post is biased towards Django. But since I have used both professionally for an extended period of time,

>Flask was actually written as a joke.
And Pinterest and LinkedIn are built on top of that joke.

>Pinterest
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(web_framework)

Pintrest uses a highly custom version of Django and Tornado.

LinkedIn is complete, pure and utter shit.
motherboard.vice.com/read/another-day-another-hack-117-million-linkedin-emails-and-password

The only reason this hack was possible is because they were not protected by the basic built-in password and database security Django has.

You are a faggot sir, the kind of faggot that compromises people's password and personal info in the name of

in the name of tipping your fedora harder to show your e-penis.

Thanks, based snek.

>webdevs
>arguing over best crutches to do their job

>Pintrest uses a highly custom version of Django and Tornado.
The API is built on top of Flask.

>Pinterest and LinkedIn
who cares about these shitty websites. What about dropbox or MEGA?