/gcg/ graphics card general

/gcg/ graphics card general.

Please direct all graphics card related discussions to this thread to avoid spamming up this board.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_JPEG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This stuff gets rendered on GPUs, did you know that?

>jpg
AMD has lossy jpg
Nvidia is losless jpg

All jpg is lossy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_JPEG

AMDrones everyone

>Graphics getting rendered
>By a graphics card

Gee, who would have thought.

wow, I never noticed that

>thingken
>on Sup Forums

only know that RX 480 was released recently

what's the memes that makes people say it's DoA?

So im looking to upgrade from my 5870, whats the best card in the £200-250 price range?

Rx480, isn't it?

its not a GTX 1080
also its actually a bit over 150W in consumption

thats the main things i think

It performs between a 970 and 390, and the 4 GB version is $200 in the US. So for the price and performance it's solid.

The biggest concerns right now are that the reference cooler sucks, and that it draws too much power through the pci slot.

Both of those problems can be solved by non-reference cards with an extra 8 or 6 pin connector.

how long does it usually take for manufacturer's to release non-shitty blower style fans on gpu (i.e. open air).

Not really since you need an expensive motherboard for it.
Unless you want to risk frying it.

ayymdiscount right?

Wait for AIB ones then, even though that's not true because strix 960 pulled even more from the mobo without frying anything.

>$200 GTX 970
Oh. I got my 970 for $350 back in 2015 and it looks like the 970 is still floating at around $250~$300 range, so that's pretty nice for AMD I guess.

Don't see what the big deal is then outside of that besides the power consumption. Reference is usually shit on both sides anyways.

>wait for AIB
>wait for RX490
>wait for HBM2
>wait for vega
>wait

I've had this cart assembled for nearly 24 hours. Just staring at it. Wondering why and if. All I play is autistic strategy games so I can't convince to get it. But I want to, but don't have a good reason for it. Why am I retarded? Why do I want things I don't need?

oops i deselected the image

>Wait for the heat death of the universe where AMD will launch their new revolutionary space heater to halt it.

Check this sick bargain I just got emailed
Straya mate

is that aussie dolars?

>windforce

Ehhhh...

Yep aus dollars. Just under a weeks pay for old tech. Ill dig up their 1080 prices and post it. Itll be 1300+ im sure

I'm still waiting for you to kill yourself.
If you don't want to wait, buy the reference card and shut the fuck up.

keep waiting for that legendary AMD card

I have a windforce 680.
It's fucking amazing.

OP here, I need someone to make the new thread when this gets to bump limit because I'm going to bed.

Please don't let the spammers win, we don't need a new thread for every minor gpu question.

Good night /gcg/

They still haven't realized they're being compared to last gen's medium card, no matter which one is better.

Rx480 is $450
1070 is 799

Ill keep my r9 280x for awhile longer i guess

student poorfag in a third world country here
i have the following options:
GTX 960 4 GB - 210 euro
R9 380 4GB - 230 euro

(for reference RX 480 costs 310 euro, which i can't afford)

should i go for the 960 or the 380? i'm upgrading from a 3 years old r7 260x

i just want to play any game i feel like at 1080p/60fps, don't care much about playing on high graphical settings.

the video card will purchased together with an i5 6500 3.20GHz

They are not questions, they are just baits and trolls of nvidiots and fanatics. You think those teenage wankers will put themselves into containment thread on their own will?

>should i go for the 960 or the 380? i'm upgrading from a 3 years old r7 260x
Absolutely no. Wait for the RX 480 prices to go lower. Or RX 470 if it is that bad.

PCCG has the 4GB for $320, and the 8GB for $380.

You could wait for the 480 to drop prices which should happen quickly.

I'd personally go with the 380 if you can't wait.
But I recommend against not waiting because the 480 does blow those cards away and should drop prices very soon.

1060 should be out soon, either it will crush the 480 in perf:price or it will be so competitive AMD has to reduce the price for the 480.

Just hang out a bit more if you're on a tight budget.

r9 380 easily

wait for 3rd party cards to come out first

>Win 10!
Didn't know we have Windows 3628800 already.

Looking to upgrade from my GTX 980 that I got years ago. Is the GTX 1080 worth it or should I wait for the R9 490X?

If you can wait, I would wait.

Any idea when the R9 490X will be released? I'm not really playing any vidya at he moment, but actually looking at using my GPUs for hardware accelerated media creation.

CUDA has been good, but looks like OpenGL acceleration is coming up with the goods too.

Do you need a better GPU or do you just want a shiny new toy?

Fuck off with the gay cancer general. We don't need more reddit generals.

Waiting for aftermarket GPUs.

I currently use an EVGA GTX 770 SC.

Do I go a 480x or 1070 for 1080p or wait for 1060?

See

>TFW my 480 is in the mail and Sup Forums is butthurt about it

Shouldnt GPU threads be on Sup Forums?

>looks like OpenGL acceleration is coming up with the goods

That is a lot like saying "I'm buying this GPU for DX12" when there are like 4 or 5 games actually supporting it and the card will be outdated by the time the industry adapts to the API.

I'm building a PC right now.

Every other part is already decided upon, I just need a GPU.

Buying a 1080p 144Hz monitor, that I hope to fully utilize.

Here in Norway the best 2 options right now seem to be either a single non-reference GTX 1070 or two AMDs. These 2 are practically identical in price, so I'm completely stumped.

On one hand, the 480s are shown in several benchmarks surpassing the 1080, but on the other hand, the 480 seems to draw way more power than it should be and if I had 2 of them, there is no way it would end well.

1070 seems straightforward enough, the EVGA version is in stock and I can make it an SLI setup in the future.

Most likely some will suggest to wait for the aftermarket 480s, but they will most likely cost an arm and a leg here, at least 10% more than a GTX 1070

Sorry for the blog, but I'd be grateful if I could get some second opinion on this, which to go for.

I had actually forgotten how much disdain Sup Forums has for anything that isn't coding, linux, phones and chinkshit.

GPU is technology

>fly to us
>buy shit
>fly back

i believe you will still save some money that way

Rx 480 nigga. 8GB version is gonna be~$239 and better custom coolers are on their way. Why settle for 3GB of vRAM?

If you want more juice wait for the Rx 490.

Getting a card with no async compute support is the worst mistake you could possibly make right now especially with VR and DX12 getting more popular. Hear Vulkan is also taking a stab at DX11.

You forgot thinkpads, report any spammer and move on.

Nah, even during the cheapest month (february 2017) it would end up costing at minimum 270 USD to go there and back.

Maybe if I bought a whole PC, but planning to fly to the states 7 months from now just to buy a PC is retarded.

whats the price of 3rd party 1070 non founder?

Die hard AMD fanboy here and this 480x shit is the last straw.
What Intel/NVIDIA combo should be my next build?

I'm just picking some shit off pcpartpicker

Almost settled on 6600k and EVGA 1070

if i recall correctly it was two rx480s.

So, when is it being released lads?

When they can figure out how to fix the melting issues with those fans and lighting added.

The main reason I want to upgrade is my 290x runs at 90 degrees and can't manage 60fps at 1440p. I thought RX 480 would be perfect, a 15% boost over my current card with super low thermals and all the new display tech, but AMD has let me down again.

Why bother? It has no performance difference from your current card.

It is a letdown and I also expected more (980 performances consistently), but 2bh we had the 1070 benches that made it perfect for 1440p/60fps since the 10th, and AMD did say they weren't aiming at that market. There was no reason to expect similar performances.

1070 sounds like a decent card since the 980ti are not dropping worth shit.

Which one is optimal for running stock with light overclocking down the line?

1070 should be fine for 1440p @ 60fps right?

Or should I just save up for a 1080 instead?

Wait for the Rx 490. 1070 has no async compute.

>Wait until late 2016 at best
And that's if it happens to be something.

>wait for another crushing disappointment
Nah, he should just get the 1070.

>vega 10
>nothing
I think you're underestimating AMD. The 480 (polaris 10) already shits on the GTX 980, see pic related. 4096 vega 10 cores + HBM sounds like serious business.

Just give up already. I know you are earning for every shill but deep inside we all know you use an NVIDIA+Intel combo.

I can't wait for a 350W card! It's like it's 2010 again

Just give up already. I know you are earning for every shill but deep inside we all know you use an NVIDIA+Intel combo.

4096 vega 10 cores sounds like 500 watts of power consumption, of which 100 from the PCI slot.

>rx 480
>disappointment
lolwut?

I'm an nvidia fan but even I have to admit the rx 480 is pretty noice. Props to AMD finally getting their shit together.

Too bad it overclocks like shit and goes massively out of spec on PCI slot power draw.

Estimated TDP is 200W.

Anyway we'll see, Vega 10 is NOT Polaris 10 so hopefully that 200W TDP will be achieved.

>it will crush the 480 in perf:price
Nvidia doesn't have better price/performance, it almost never happens. They usually offer higher absolute performance or lower power consumption and charge premium for that.

Price/performance ratio was always best with Radeons.

>implying

>Price/performance ratio was always best with Radeons.
Until the GTX 970 came out and forced AMD into huge price cuts.

iktfb, also 290x, I just bought a 1070 because fuck it

>vega 10
>nothing
Yes, exactly. Nothing but rumours and stuff we won't see for another 4 or 5 months.

>I think there might be some people who don't want to wait another 5 months at least to play something
Fixed.

>480 shits on 980
Not really. It's near or over the 980 in Dx12 and comparable to the 970 otherwise.

It should, because 980 is a dx11 card at 28nm node. If you don't shit on it from orbit while using 14nm node, you're doing something wrong.

>selective bias

gtx 970 problem here is ram 3,5gb of it shadow of mordor need more than 4gb for high/very high textures
rx 480 4gb will have lower framerate than 970 in it mark my word

and this is one of only two along hitman big games where rx480 is better than gtx970

Those are just placeholder values, that estimation is not worth shit, with all due respect to VideoCardz (it is a good web, they do good job with their news reporting/leaks).

why is this not called /gpug/

1 more letter? but I agree

And after the cuts, Radeons were better again. That is how it works.

>Too bad it overclocks like shit and goes massively out of spec on PCI slot power draw.
This is expected from reference cards. Nvidia cards have been going out of PCI express slot spec since forever you know, this isn't new. The spec is there as a recommendation, not the "your motherboard will burst into flames if the GPU uses this much" spec.

It's not DOA. It's sold out. It is however drawing too much power through the PCI-E interface which violates the spec and risks hardware failure.

As a $200-240 board, it's a unqualified success. As a demonstration of AMD's 14nm dieshrink, it's an unmitigated disaster. This is probably what is making you think it's DOA.

graphics card general sounds like something someone in the youtube comments would come up with, think of having "processor general" as opposed to /cpug/

>Nvidia cards have been going out of PCI express slot spec since forever you know, this isn't new.
1 card did you liar, and it was Strix 960 and wasn't even novidea's design flaw that was the cause of it

>It's sold out.
To scalpers charging $350+ for them on ebay.

At least some good came out of this debacle, slummy scalpers won't make bank.

as I said, I agree

recursive acronym meaning /gng/'s not gay

it also has pug in it!