Do I have to pause the microwave before opening it or is this an old wives tale?

Do I have to pause the microwave before opening it or is this an old wives tale?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_wives'_tale
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon#Microwave_weapons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Enjoy your illuminati fluoride microwave cancer autism

All of my wives are young, and they do all of the cooking. Allahu akbar.

It will pause itself.

i open microwave slightly before the program finishes

Are you a fucking idiot or something?

Of course it turns off when you open it.

How old are these wives you're talking to?

I moved in with my Grandma and she got furious at me for opening without pausing. She opened the window and said I need to pause it every time lol

Its a wives tale. Microwaves move incredibly fast.
186,000 miles an hour fast. By the time you slam the button to release the door all of the microwaves have been absorbed by something.

but how much would that be in microwave time?

1 picosecond

>opened the windows to make the radiation go away

Why do microwave ovens have to beep at everything you do with it. Every time we get a new oven first thing i do is take the case off and disconnect the fucking beeper. That is my only concern with them.

reminds me of how my dad is convinced that coffee makers and toasters must be unplugged, not merely turned off, when not in use, or else the house will burn down or something.

It's non ionizing, don't worry about it.

You know when you have to put something in the microwave for 1 and a half minutes, how does that convert to microwave time? Like that's 90 seconds, but a minute is 100 microwave seconds so is it really 150?

you're the worst kind of people

Is this guy retarded or am I having a stroke?

wat

yes

2 summerfags taking the bait like champs

welcome to Sup Forums summerfags. You must install a linux distro at least once if you plan to stay. Bonus points if you get a Thinkpad.

Micro waves contain vaccines that communicate your food habits to Google through Cortana which can cause autism cancer.

It's safe as long as you don't microwave anything with gluten.

Baited ;^)

be better at copypasta

i'm the best kind of people. No more beeps!

well there's no need to keep them plugged in when not in use
switches and safety interlocks can fail

there's no need to unplug them either. If they're defective enough to kill you when plugged in and turned off, they're defective enough to kill you when you, y'know, actually use the thing.

Do you unplug your lamps, TV, computer, and washing machine when you turn them off?

>Do you unplug your lamps, TV, computer, and washing machine when you turn them off?
Yes.

well I'm sorry you're autistic then. Most people leave them plugged in all the time and suffer no ill effects from it.

>Do you unplug your lamps, TV, computer, and washing machine when you turn them off?
no, mostly because their plugs are in hard to reach or inconvenient places, only if I leave my house for over a few days to keep phantom loads down
most places you keep a toaster or coffee maker, the plug is literally right next to the device

Surprisingly this has been a documented cause of erroneous signals at radio observatories. Having said that, the equipment picking these signals up is very sensitive and the risk to yourself is infinitesimal.

Well she's an idiot

Have you ever used bluetooth headphones? Microwave ovens fuck them up something awful.

But if you start to open the microwave, the interference with your headphones ends basically instantaneously with you pressing button, slightly before the springs actually kick the door open.

Also remember that there is no physically sound mechanism by which microwaves can harm your body except by mild heating.

Do i have to disconnect the water from my dishwasher every time?

If your outlets arent GFI then they can be a hazard.

You might not pay it mind now but one day you might just have a spill and when you do you will probably rather kill a toaster than have your whole house go down in an electrical fire.

Not that this is an everyday thing but Im far from perfect.

Electronics still consume power when theyre off.

You talk like a rentor who has never managed their utilities.

Isn't that only the case with power blocks? And even then, it'd be negligible. Like, wow, dem twelve cents of phantom draw.

Simple circuits like coffeemakers physically can't move electrons when they're disconnected though.

That's actually a good policy, especially if all your appliances are modern plastic made in China shit. The only thing I leave plugged in is my antique toaster I inherited that is 100% metal and I've taken it apart and there is no way it can fail in the on position, it's construction makes it literally impossible.

Your life must really really suck.

Get a fucking insurance and stop living in fear.

You actually go around your house and unplug shit? Why not just use the breakers and turn off everything but the fridge and A/C?

Chinese appliances have wifi sniffers in them. How do you think chinese steal so much IP?

What is standby power drain? What if the lightening strikes your grid?

My microwave is an early 00's one. It has an analog time and power picker. It only lets out a sound when its done

not only that, but literally the only damage you can get from microwaves is heat damage. not like cancerous chernobyl radiation damage.

microwaves put out literally the same frequencies as your 2.4 ghz router.

they are dangerous because certain parts of your body don't like to have their cells heated up internally, like your corneas, or balls.

enjoy your cateracts and infertility if you play around with a microwave emmiter for extended periods of time but for a short burst it won't do any real damage.

>opened the window
Hue hue hue hue, give your grandma a hug.

Kek Mr iraqi

>Hurr durr I was just pretending to be retarded

You sure got us.

I measured both my coffee maker and my toaster with a kill-a-watt. Both read zero watts when off.

>want to microwave something for 100 seconds
>type 100
>automatically converts it to microwave time at 1:00

fucking microwaves

I unplug everything when i'm not using it. do people think i'm a weirdo tinfoil conspiracy nut ? i never considered it was odd just a habit from having cats they would get shocked from chewing the wire so i just unplugged it to stop them hurting themselves.

don't even have cats anymore but still do it

yeah you're autistic

that's just smart right there! saved 12 bucks a year doing that myself !

>old wive's tale
I'm pretty sure it's "old wise tale" you faggot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_wives'_tale

please jump off a cliff

after you.

I had a friend who believed this. He didn't even stand in front of it when it was on. I explained all the science to him, showed all the sources, yet he refused to believe it. Infuriated me. The worst part was that he still ate the food that came out of the microwave. How is that fucking OK?

It may leak more microwave radiation that normal, but this isn't really an issue. Large amounts of microwave radiation can cause cataracts but this is caused by heating of enzymes inside the eye, but at the levels we're talking about it isn't an issue.

You don't have to, but a tiny EM pulse may escape if you quickly open the door during operation.

I can't imagine that harming a person though. Its only importance is that it could fuck with some nearby microwave telescopes in your area. This is something that has supposedly happened ones. Strange readings were pinned down to people in the immediate area letting out little blips of microwave energy from their home appliances.

No that's fine, electronics use standby electricity.
However, get plug sockets with switches on it like a proper country

More relevant to most people is that it can cause a short burst of interference for 2.4ghz wifi

Unless you can open the door faster than light you're in no danger.

My microwave makes my wifi cutout. Is this normal if it is operating safely? Is it in the 2.4ghz range?

The shielding on your microwave is fucked up. Replace it.

I'd honestly expect radio telescope astronomy to notice the blips more often than a home user would notice a dropped packet or two.

Well most people don't live near a radio quiet zone.

What if I make the microwave work without the door, and insert, let's say my hand inside?

Will it catch fire? Will I get cancer? Or wil i die from electrocution?

What's the worst that can happen?

Further illustrating how infrequently I'd expect a home user to notice a dropped packet or two in the ten-millionth of a second it takes the waves to leave the building.

Your hand will start heating up until your pull it out from the pain.

Microwaves basically work by causing charged molecules (typically water) to flip orientation at a very high frequency. This generates heat. So the microwave will excite the water molecules in your hand, heating them, and burning you.

A lot of heating from microwave ovens comes from the resonance of waves inside of the cavity, something you disrupt significantly by removing an entire face of the box. Things would just get hot in strange and unpredictable patterns. There's some association between heat shock and cancer but it's not going to be like Fukushima-style irradiation in your kitchen.

Should have said "producing heat" rather than "heating them".

Only one way to find out, user.

Don't forget to post pics.

The physical description is more akin to "bonds jiggling" than "orientation flipping." The photons have magnetic fields but don't work like bar magnets flying past the molecules and swinging the dipoles back and forth.

Thanks for the clarification, I only have a very basic physics education.

On an unrelated rant, that's such an unfortunately common sentiment. It's not necessarily the depth of your education that led to a misunderstanding. Obviously your education is sufficient to have understood the minor clarification I provided, after all. Rather I take issue with the way awful analogies and outright lies have crept into introductory-level teaching of science. I can't even get my head around it. There's no value to misrepresenting the truth once the student already understands enough to be able to comprehend an accurate (albeit simplified) model.

I blame the Jews.

>I blame the Jews.

How very scientific of you.

I noticed a lot of my fellow students had trouble understanding even the simple analogies because they didn't really study or care. Maybe that's why?

So if it's possible to burn something with microwaves as long as it's made of water, why they don't make a microwave weapon to burn and kill people?

Maybe. As long as they have some sound byte to show off at home as evidence of their education, their parents keep shelling out the big bucks. (Tuition or taxes, as relevant.)

They do. Welcome to a new level of fear about the military industrial complex.

Look it up online. There are riot control weapons which are just big microwave emitters on tops of armored vehicles. Point and fire. Hurts like the dickens.

They have:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon#Microwave_weapons

Probably not practical for use in war though since it would destroy all your communications equipment.

I've taken apart several microwaves to repurpose their components; they are designed in every way to maximize user safety.
If the door is opened even the slightest amount a switch is released and disconnects the magnetron from its power source.
It's literally impossible to hurt yourself with a microwave in the course of its normal operation

With the exception of superheating liquids, which is far less common than media reports suggest but far more common than "literally impossible." Though I guess the microwave isn't hurting you directly.

Yeah, I saw those big emitters in hummers and armored trucks on several documentaries.

I was actually referring to more of a portable type of weapon. Something like a microwave handgun, I point it to the head of some poor fuck and bam, i fucking burn him from the inside.

I built something like this out of a microwave I got on craigslist and it was pretty disappointing, I ended up just using the transformer for another project

You need a fuckload of power to get the really gruesome effects. Standing a foot away from a cell phone tower antenna would be a start.

It wouldn't be feasible to carry enough power with you to make that portable (unless you're okay with a leash) and, again, microwaves themselves are only half the picture. The "oven" part matters; the chamber shapes the movement of waves around and through the food. The big emitters you've seen are about as feasible as it gets and that's surface pain, not internal destruction. Also the inside/outside quirk of microwaves has a lot more to do with the food placement and nodes of standing waves than how microwaves intrinsically work. But that's a long ramble you can look up yourself. tl;dr they aren't magic "cook inside-out" waves.

If you want to go old school, start erecting some giant radio emitters and lure people by when they have food in their pockets.

>186,000 miles an hour
186,000 miles a SECOND that is

>Using non-SI units for the speed of light.
>burgers

Don't fall for this meme op

The second is an SI unit. Get brext faggot.

>miles
>miles
>miles

>shitpost, the post
>t. S.H. Itposter

So a non-SI unit, not "units." learn2english Frenchie

stop posting in imperial units you faggot

Bring it on.