You know what grinds my gears?

The widespread trend of computers packaged without optical drives.

Who thought this was a good thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fiaWsgtJrNI
amazon.com/Electronics-Portable-Rewriter-External-GP60NB50/dp/B00C2AMK2M/
youtu.be/aMb0F4YaQ7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

grandpa / 10

I'd bet I'm younger than you pal.

Optical Drives are fucking useless. The only proper use of a optical drive is to take the shit off and replacing with a SSD in the tray.

CDs are dying.

USB, Thuderbolt, Bluetooth, the Cloud are now deemed more efficent.

is there a medium that is still in current circulation that deteriorates as fast as CDs

but not including a drive means in order to use perfectly good media on discs (which we all have numbering in the billions) we'll have to buy some kind of stupid adapter

I really can't remember the last time I used the CD drive except to rip a movie, but I just download them now.

Vinyls?

what do you mean deteriorates?

if you don't gnaw on your cds they will always be fine longer than you're going to live

I have 0 of such discs

I can't explain you

maybe a computer is a facebook browsing device to you

Optical driver is deprecated because there are many super set alternatives. However, here I note that Internet isn't one of alternatives.

Optical drives have close to no uses nowadays
>OS installation in case you lost all of your flash drives
>accessing ancient data that you didn't bother copying over

and that's pretty much it

Me.

Less moving parts.
And barely anyone uses optical media anymore and when you do you can always use an external drive.

Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

2004 called and said you are a fucking retarded if you want to use CDs in 2016

nah, most CD-Rs stop working after 10 years

Literally the only thing I still have discs for are driver disks and my OS.
And those I have backed up on my server and on a USB stick for easy access incase I need to reinstall.

Besides that I just use my drive for putting my bluray collection on my hard drive

Burnable CD-Rs sure.

I've never had one just up and die

I've got lots of cd-rs older than that

I used to think this, but I realized I was wrong because I never fucking use CD's or DVD's. Thumb drives are more convenient and faster.

>Convert media into ISOs
>Buy dirt cheap USB drives
>"Burn" ISOs to USB drives as needed

this thread had me look for my oldest cd-r, and now I'm listening to best of ac/dc

it's a good place to be

OP is getting slaughtered

Personally I'm still angry that they're not including floppies and Zip disks.

It'd been 5 years since I last used CD. And it was . Pretty much everything can be stored on CD may now be accessed through internet and/or USB drives.

I'm just someone who doesn't use obsolete hardware

Who even uses spinny disks any more? Between thumbdrives replacing CD-RW and SSDs replacing hard drives, I'm happy i dont have to deal with slow-as-fuck spinny shit any more.

a dvd-r along can store nearly 5gb

nice try comparing this to fucking diskss

If I don't use an optical drive why the fuck would I need one in my laptop? If you need one that bad, quit being a little candy ass and buy a portable usb one.

This would be an issue, if optical drives weren't completely redundant.

An 8gb usb stick is probably cheaper than a DVD.
And you can basically rewrite it as much as you like.

Don't store them on the dashboard of you're car.

>5gb

thats small as fuck nigga

what is this? 2005?

When one is actually included, it's noisy as fuck.

this as fuck

you only think it's obsolete

dang, that's a sexy looking device

You know what really grinds my years? Missing the clutch pedal then trying to shift at the wrong rpm.

How often do you unexpectedly need to use an ODD?

Pulling numbers out of my ass the volume that an ODD takes could be used for another 3 hours of battery life.

Buy a USB DVD-RW. It'll last you for as long as CDs/DVDs remain relevant.
>Who thought this was a good thing?
The only good about still having an optical drive dock is that you can put an extra battery / HDD in it on a good laptop.

>dadrock
>literally the worst most generic dadrock

>An 8gb usb stick is probably cheaper than a DVD.
No.

When they first started dropping optical drives I was entirely on your side, now if I ever ended up with an optical drive in a laptop I'd probably replace it with a 2.5" bay

well shoot son, I didn't realize how soft men got in the 5 years that separates our generation

>not listening to a 0x7CA CD bootleg of Nick Land's Meltdown
>0x7E0

youtube.com/watch?v=fiaWsgtJrNI

I still burn discs for my car.

And you need an internal drive in your laptop just for that?

Never said I did. Got one in my dock.

Haven't used one since 2006 when installing shrine circus tycoon. I don't put them in client's computers unless they ask.

Audio cds aren't going anywhere soon.
I don't torrent/burn cd-rs anymore, tho.
Streaming service is too convenient.
If I find something I really like, I get the cd.
I have replaced 1 damaged cd from double cd set tho.
I have like 200 storebought cds and several torrent/cd-rs older than 10 years. They work fine.
Multiburner on a tower is still a plus.
You don't need to worry about fucking up a cd-r by not properly umounting it.

fpbp

If you compare the price of the drive plus n DVDs with n usb sticks plus the flexibility of a USB stick... Definitely

amazon.com/Electronics-Portable-Rewriter-External-GP60NB50/dp/B00C2AMK2M/

$26 for an external DVD drive, and you can leave it at home where it belongs instead of sacrificing valuable space inside your laptop that could be better dedicated to HDD/SSD or extra battery.

Literally only a fool would want an internal optical drive on a laptop in 2016.

same here

although using an mp3 player is also really convenient with newer cars

why do they also do this with towers

that's the worst sin

Or a cassette player: youtu.be/aMb0F4YaQ7I

I had a 2006 model that still had a cassette player, on top of the cd player.

the nice thing about that is a cassette adapter allows you to interface anything with the car stereo, something the cd player can't do

have plenty of CDs from ~1990-present and have never had read issues that weren't from scratched to shit disks

same
I had a bluetooth radio tuner in it for a while that worked okay until it died 2 days after the warranty expired, I don't give enough of a shit to go pay out the ass for a new one when I can just burn one or two CDs and last for a month or more

You know what grinds my gears?

>tfw no modern 4:3 laptops

its a mu meme

For real, digged out some ancient IBM monitor with 1280x1024 resolution and it is unbeatable for productivity. I guess it's a little much for a laptop, but I wish at least that 3:2 was more common.

Fucking this

What kind of work can be done better on a 4:3 screen? When I have to use 4:3 displays, I feel restrained by them, and doing work on them feels slower.

16:9

I do it in at least one of my computers because I need the SATA port for something else.

I haven't used an optical drive in roughly 3 years user. Why do you need one?

Programming, reading papers, web.

I'm used to splitting my screen in half when I have to look at two things at once. 16:9 or 16:10 feels better for me, because it's easier to keep your stuff side by side.

it depends on the resolution for me. if its some shit like 1366x728 im going to prefer 4:3

Even when I had a disc drive I usually just downloaded the media I wanted rather than digging out the disc, it's just easier.

Buy a Japanese laptop and just count your blessings that they still are manufactured.

There is at least the 3:2 Chromebook Pixel. It's not 4:3, sure, but it is less wide-screen than any modern laptop.

You can also nigger-rig a 4:3 iPad display to a RasPi.

None of these are good alternatives.

When I got my car it had an aftermarket stereo with a CD player; I replaced it with the stock unit so I could connect my phone with a cassette adapter.

same

have to drag out an old laptop I have to burn the discs because I haven't been able to bring myself to go get an external drive when I have a machine that still has an optical drive, as much of a hassle as the machine is

kind of wish I had a car that played MP3s
my dad asked me to load some MP3s onto a stick after I noticed his would play media files off of a flash drive, just copied the entirety of his old iTunes folder from forever ago when he had an B/W iPod and away he went

Every "ultra book" should come with an external optical drive. Problem fucking solved.

I thought it was a good thing. A USB DVD-RW is approx $30 and it's about as useful today as a USB floppy. Buy one and store it in your closet until you get over the fact that you'll never need it for anything.

>my needs are everybody's needs

Some people still need floppies too. They'd probably be embarrassed to post on Sup Forums about it. Maybe you should take a cue from them.

your needs are shit and old

Eat a dick you piece of shit

>optical drive in a portable machine in 2016
>something the vast majority of buyers will use maybe once a year taking 40% of the internal space all the time

You're very smart. Just get an external drive like everyone else for the rare occasion you need it and shut the fuck up. You don't get neckbeard points by pretending to be into old tech.

>neckbeard points
lol. sounds like something best avoided anyway.

>tfw ThinkPad
>Change between Optical drive and HDD with a button
serves you right for buying a pleb laptop

lol are you 12? You're all butthurt because your most familiar piece of technology is obsolete?

apple

>4:3
3:2 is the way user.

I'm not butthurt at all. I'm just sick of bastards acting all smug because they don't use something others do.

This is exactly why I removed mine. Fuck those things.

using floppy disks is treated as some kind of oldfag badge of honor on Sup Forums, the only people who give a shit about storage mediums to the point that they would feel embarrassed about their choices are hipsters like you who think you're hot shit because you saved $20 not installing one in your trashy gaymer shitbox

>I have to hear them quietly self-test when I start my computer and it's awful
????

Then get an external drive? Fuck. Internal optical drives on laptops have always been a bad idea.

I never said anything about a drive in a laptop, I'm just talking in general. I've got one DVD drive in my server and one in my laptop dock. If I had a laptop with a DVD drive it'd probably have been replaced with an HDD or SSD by now.

why? because they can hypothetically be used to get you an extra hour of battery life when your system can already get 10-13?

>Who thought this was a good thing?
Uhh, most people?

I've used my DVD drive once since buying it ~2 years ago.

The only thing you kind of need an ODD for anymore is installing windows 7 and winserver 2008, since they don't support usb3 out of the box. Even with those, ISOs are available online and you can load that shit into a VM with a raw disk image and skip slow ass DVD installation entirely.

Because I have a rewritable 64gb SD card the size of a fingernail.

Because CDs are a shit, inferior medium